As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Path of Exile]Bestiary League begins on March 2nd

mccartmccart Registered User regular
edited February 2018 in Games and Technology
10472405015_2a0c5e457a_o.jpg

Path of Exile is a Free to Play action RPG with a large amount of customization and playstyles. The developers have stated that they will never add "Pay-to-Win" features to the in-game store and generally the store contains cosmetic micro-transactions as well as some very useful account upgrades. It's not uncommon to see Path of Exile be cited as an example of Free-to-Play "done right".

The gameplay is similar to other arpgs although it can be a little slow to start. Builds are often very involved and can include several unique items that play off one another to create powerful effects. There are three sub-classes for each of the main classes along with a massive passive tree that allows players to tune builds to their liking.

Upcoming Expansion
War for the Atlas

Useful Links:
Wiki
poe.trade -trade indexer, this is the main location to find items you want to purchase from other players
online passive tree planner
item price tracker
Vorici chrome calculator
official forums

Trading
For the majority of players trading is facilitated by looking for items on a third party indexer called poe.trade. Once an item a player wants is found, they can whisper the seller (usually by clicking a link on the search page which auto-copies a message that can be pasted in the game client) to see if a trade can be made. Sometimes this process is quick and easy, other times it is extremely frustrating. The developers have been teasing about improvements to this system for some time, but at the moment any concrete information is absent.

To have items appear on poe.trade a player can purchase a premium stash from the in game store and then elect to have the contents of that stash tab be public which will allow indexers to see the items as well as any prices the owner may have set on those items. It is also possible to list items for sale without premium stash tabs, this can be done using a third party application: either Acquisition or Procurement. These tools can look through the items in your stash tabs and then auto-generate text to either be pasted in, or automatically posted to a sale thread on the forums. The sale thread will then be read by the indexer sites mentioned previously.

It's also possible to trade via trade chat or by trying to buy/sell things on the forums, but doing this is incredibly difficult and time consuming and not recommended. New players will also almost certainly be taken advantage of in either of those places immediately.

It's totally viable to play the entire game without trading at all. Many players do this, some use the newly added SSF (solo self found) feature which has a separate ladder and makes it impossible for the player to group or trade with others. Players can opt out of SSF mode at anytime, thought hey will be removed from the SSF ladder.

PA guild
There is a forum guild, here are people that can invite you:
@mccart
@Twenty Sided

If you are a member of the guild, feel free to use the guild stash as you like, I generally put items in there that I would like anyone to take, and I assume most people do the same.

mccart on

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Yay, FINALLY a new thread!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Send help: I keep using my Ancient Reliquary Keys that drop instead of selling them for the 35c they go for on Hardcore Legacy.

Current Reliquary Returns: -100 chaos

Just one more

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • mccartmccart Registered User regular
    Yeah I got a springleaf on my first one, if I find another one I'm definitely selling it.

I still haven't got a damn reliquary key T_T but at least I'm not missing out on much probably.

• SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I still haven't got a damn reliquary key T_T but at least I'm not missing out on much probably.

I've had two drop and sold both.

Supposedly they are in the ballpark of rarity of exalts.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I've found 2 and got a Kaom's Sign and a Moonsorrow. The first one was worth it for the experience, I'll be selling the rest I find.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    mccart wrote: »
    @Pacificstar racing_snail is my wild-striker. If it weren't for the ascendancy that gives me more flask charges on killing enemies with elemental status ailments I'd probably be using ele focus instead of added cold. I've considered changing my last ascendancy over to master surgeon, but I love being immune to chilled ground so much and I'm not sure if I feel like spending the regrets.

*ignore the vaal double strike, I was just farting around after I found a high level/quality one in the uber lab. I usually have a cwdt setup and vaal haste there.

I orginally picked pathfinder since I figured the amped up flask effects would be great for a league starter, and I wanted to try out the new ele pen nodes on that side of the tree. It hasn't been a terrible league starter, though I have died quite a few times trying to do slightly hard red maps so maybe I just need to realign my expectations.

Saldonas : grats on your six link, you have the most amazing linking luck ever!

I started making a crit chaos assassin, I didn't realize that a bunch of streamers are doing the same thing so I might have to wait a while since I have low currency at the moment. I could sell my vinktars but I think I'll just do a bunch of easy maps on my wild striker to build up some currency for the chaos dude.

So I'm looking at your tree, and I think the logic of your build is a lot like mine was. I also used an ele foil and went hard on crit (was an inquisitor).

I think there are some small improvements you can do to your tree. Like the "Weapon Elemental Damage, Status Ailment Chance" nodes you have on the bottom right corner of the tree are an overall damage nerf for you. That's because status effects applied by flat chance are less damaging than those applied by crits, and you already crit all the time with power charges and diamond flask. I would remove those points and finish getting Fatal Blade. With your crit chance the multi from Fatal Blade is going to give you like 6k more DPS according to Path of Building. Also, if reflect is becoming an issue, I'd consider picking up Vaal Pact. Finally, 1 point in Acrobatics is pretty painful. You lose an awful lot of block chance for just 30% dodge. I'd probably spec out of it or finish going down the path. Here's a tree that allocates the same 110 points that you've used, but gives you more life % at the cost of some evasion %. Changing the tree also potentially lets you drop Wisdom of the Glade and let's you get a more efficient attack speed node if you still want it.

For your skill gems, I would use Wrath over Anger (better damage range + bigger/longer shocks). In the same vein, I'd use Added Lightning over Added Cold everywhere in your build. Changing your Added Cold to Added Lightning in WS will get you another 3.5k DPS according to Path of Building. Your 6th link could be Added Cold or Faster Attacks. Remember, POE doesn't really do fractional frame attacks, so if your APS is like 6.4, you're really only doing 6 attacks per second. At least that's what I've been told. For Vaal skills, I found a three link with Vaal Grace, Vaal Haste, and Increased Duration invaluable. Vaal Haste is an insane DPS boost. I don't really know much about warchief, I just used CODT instead. If you can, quality Herald of Ice is really powerful, the percentage increased cold damage applies globally.

For gear, what you have is really good. I think your main hand foil is kind of slow, but still really nice. For jewelry, I found that at high levels when you already have great weapons, %WED goes a lot further than flat elemental damage. Here's my profile, the character is called WildBladeStrike. His tree was wiped with the 2.6 release, but you can see my gear. Only real difference is that I have sword and board and went inquisitor.

Pacificstar on
    Huh, I just checked out and downloaded Path of Building. Seems a bit better than the POESkillTree app.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    increasing your ignite chance shouldn't be a dps drop. issue is probably having path of building calculate ignites based on average damage by default - the average damage / ignite might drop, but it doesn't matter because strongest ignite is the one that ticks, so applying weaker ignites than your crit ignites won't harm your dps.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • mccartmccart Registered User regular
    Thanks Pacificstar, those are good changes on that passive tree. I had originally intended to use daggers which is why I went up north for those life nodes, but good daggers are way more expensive which is why I ended up with swords.

I'm definitely planning on using wrath and added lightning, I just hadn't been able to find some affordable way to get the intelligence I needed yet. I also didn't have the chromes for a while and got frustrated chroming my chest, but I should be able to get it done now. Thanks for your help!

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Cruising through Cruel A4.

So, this build is at least semi-viable.

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular

what are you running?

I've tried to get into Legacy with a SRS Necromancer since I've never got one into maps but I think the expansion hype sucked all the fun out of PoE 2.x for me

I'm ready for new content

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    P10 wrote: »
    increasing your ignite chance shouldn't be a dps drop. issue is probably having path of building calculate ignites based on average damage by default - the average damage / ignite might drop, but it doesn't matter because strongest ignite is the one that ticks, so applying weaker ignites than your crit ignites won't harm your dps.

The reason why it's a DPS drop is because there are two ways to inflict a status effect: By Crits or by flat chance to inflict the status effect. If you have a high crit chance like mccart does you pretty much are always want to inflict the status effect via crit (she has like 85%+ with diamond flask up).

Consider two scenarios:

1) You apply an ignite with a normal attack. Let's say you're hitting for fire 100 damage. Targets are ignited for 20% of the hit and ignites last for 4 seconds. So you have applied an additional 80 damage over 4 seconds.

2) You apply an ignite with a critical hit, and let's say after crit multi you're hitting for 200 damage. You're going to apply an additional 160 over 4 seconds.

I think you'd agree that #2 is better than #1. As you approach the crit cap, there are now two competing methods to apply the status effect 20% of the time it's going to be scenario #1, and the remaining amount of the time it's scenario #2 (85% *80% ~ 68%). Without the base flat chance, she just has 85% chance to apply a larger ignite.

Also, ignites don't stack so there's not value in just applying many small ignites without that one really expensive unique ring. I'm not saying that having flat ignite chance with big fire hits is bad, I'm saying that her build is already centered around critting, and with her current setup she's going to get a lot more value out of crit multi.
    mccart wrote: »
    Thanks Pacificstar, those are good changes on that passive tree. I had originally intended to use daggers which is why I went up north for those life nodes, but good daggers are way more expensive which is why I ended up with swords.

I'm definitely planning on using wrath and added lightning, I just hadn't been able to find some affordable way to get the intelligence I needed yet. I also didn't have the chromes for a while and got frustrated chroming my chest, but I should be able to get it done now. Thanks for your help!

I'm with you, it can be difficult to roll the right colors and get int! My char was very carefully balanced to have just enough int. It helped that I started as inquisitor so there was more int to pick up on the way. Daggers sound badass, but you're right they're so hard to get. I also think that WS really benefits from fast attacking and I think daggers are usually slower. I think you get more from having crit multi on your swords right now rather than using a dagger since your crit is already amazing.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    no, you are incorrect. if you crit you always get a crit ignite. you cannot get a non-crit ignite on a crit. adding ignite chance can allows you to get a non-crit ignite on a non-crit hit, which would otherwise not be an ignite at all. and because multiple ignites do not interfere with each other (highest damage ignite is active, barring emberwake, in which case all ignites are active), having a lower damage ignite from a non-crit hit cannot possibly lower your damage output

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited March 2017
    no, you are incorrect. if you crit you always get a crit ignite. you cannot get a non-crit ignite on a crit. adding ignite chance can allows you to get a non-crit ignite on a non-crit hit, which would otherwise not be an ignite at all. and because multiple ignites do not interfere with each other (highest damage ignite is active, barring emberwake, in which case all ignites are active), having a lower damage ignite from a non-crit hit cannot possibly lower your damage output

Regardless, FOR MCCART, since she is basically crit capped and an extremely fast attacker, crit multi is going to give her much more damage than flat chance to apply status effects. Can we agree on that?

Pacificstar on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Flat status chance I always understood to be the option for the non-crit elemental builds.

Characters
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Regardless, FOR MCCART, since she is basically crit capped and an extremely fast attacker, crit multi is going to give her much more damage than flat chance to apply status effects. Can we agree on that?

im sorry i do not permit agreement in this thread

you must both level a zero %life/es build to 90 on hardcore as punishment

obF2Wuw.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

what are you running?

I've tried to get into Legacy with a SRS Necromancer since I've never got one into maps but I think the expansion hype sucked all the fun out of PoE 2.x for me

I'm ready for new content

Molten/Multi with a ton of armor and regen and resolute technique.

Lots of leaping strikes!

I'm at the point where I can facetank Argos in the cruel lab but can't sit and take an entire shot from Izaro's green burst thingy, so more defense is required.

jungleroomx on
    Just got the ring that gives you onslaught on kill.

Shit just got real.

Woot, first uber lab completed with the slayer. Wasn't as difficult as I expected it to be, but slayer cheats with 20% culling :P

I am doing a crit EK trapper... that maybe poisons? This is probably going to be horrible

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I am doing a crit EK trapper... that maybe poisons? This is probably going to be horrible

barrage traps for single target with coated shrapnel

8)

obF2Wuw.png
    edited March 2017

barrage traps for single target with coated shrapnel

8)

yeah, I'm going 4X coated shrapnel already. If I use a wand I can do barrage, but bladefall for single target feels like it just makes more sense. But I plan on using Jaws of Agony so maybe I don't need another ST skill once I am that level.

Pacificstar on
    Hit 90 and got my Zombie gem to 21 last night, putting me at 22 challenges done. Still need to do Uber Lab, wanted to hit 90 first to make sure it was done without ripping.

Chilling in T11s atm and have pooled about 400 chaos. I wanted to roll up a HoWA next but apparently everyone does. Might just do a Necro support and glue myself to my two friends that already have HoWA characters. I could also transition to Golemmancer but that's a lot of money for no change in playstyle, just an increase in power level.

I'm torn on if I see how far I can push my slayer or if I concentrate on my blight character. I feel like the blight one might be more powerful in the end game.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

I have and idea for a trapper, but every time I think about building it I realize leech and on hit effects are impossible, and give up on even attempting it because seriously fuck that.

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »

I have and idea for a trapper, but every time I think about building it I realize leech and on hit effects are impossible, and give up on even attempting it because seriously fuck that.
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Mana isn't so bad. Run MoM (and maybe EB) and a clarity. You'll be ok.

Life is a lot harder and you pretty much just have to rely on using traps from a distance and dodging stuff

CI trappers can have a hard time without either Occultist or Soulstrike

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I meant the sustain on life. The game basically assumes you can and always will have life pouring in from leech, and it's just not fun to play without it.

Soulstrike CI would be okay, but the build uses a different quiver anyway. Maybe I should just rethink it as a RA totem build but....ugh, RA totem.

• EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Having fun on my almost-RF build. Having all of the health regen nodes on the board is pretty hilarious, I can survive a lot of stuff with 4k hp at 58.

These last 7 levels are going to be a bitch, though. I really hate leveling builds that you can't even start until x level. SR cwc Firestorm gets a little tiring after a while.

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Ender wrote: »
    Having fun on my almost-RF build. Having all of the health regen nodes on the board is pretty hilarious, I can survive a lot of stuff with 4k hp at 58.

These last 7 levels are going to be a bitch, though. I really hate leveling builds that you can't even start until x level. SR cwc Firestorm gets a little tiring after a while.

Power through!!

My actual-RF guy is up to 85 (86?). Still deathless. I've scrounged up a Doryani's Catalyst, a Kaom's Heart, and a decently-rolled Ngamahu Tiki, which basically puts me at endgame gear. I'm at 7.8k life currently, and the next several nodes I take are all life nodes (which are adding ~120 life/node at this point).

Damage has been very good through the tier of maps I've progressed through so far (mostly 8's with a few 9's mixed in). With three crit chance/life/area damage jewels, plus crit chance from Doryani's, Elemental Overload is up ~75% of the time and it's very easy to keep it up on bosses where it actually matters. I've found an Alchemist's Sulphur Flask of Iron Skin to be reasonably effective as the only offensive flask that really works with the build. I clear breaches like a boss.

That said, the build absolutely has some defensive weaknesses. Kaom's Heart provides life but not a ton of flat armor, so it's becoming increasingly crucial to keep my endurance charges up in maps. A number of map mods are also un-runnable: -max resists, no regen/less regen, and Vulnerability mods are prohibitive or close to prohibitive.

The only big remaining power-spike for me is uber lab (still missing two trials).

I expect character viability caps out somewhere before guardians, but we'll see how far I can push it.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Guys, I just installed this to figure out how to play. I watched some guides on how to play the game. Rolled a Templar either the intention of focusing on some weapon skill, I think there was a whirlwind one. I was going to follow a build from the forums while learning the passive tree.

Is Templar a good character? I liked the look of the Inquisitor ascendancy. I realize that all the characters are probably fine, but there is still usually some bias.

Also, the start close to some minion focused nodes, could they make a decent summoner?

For totem builds, do players often use a spell totem with a chosen spell linked?

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Guys, I just installed this to figure out how to play. I watched some guides on how to play the game. Rolled a Templar either the intention of focusing on some weapon skill, I think there was a whirlwind one. I was going to follow a build from the forums while learning the passive tree.

Is Templar a good character? I liked the look of the Inquisitor ascendancy. I realize that all the characters are probably fine, but there is still usually some bias.

Also, the start close to some minion focused nodes, could they make a decent summoner?

For totem builds, do players often use a spell totem with a chosen spell linked?

@Feldorn my manz!

Don't worry too much about how "good" your first character is going to be. Unless you're following a guide line-for-line, your first character is gonna be kind of mediocre. There is a lot to learn in this game.

To try and answer your questions:

Templars are good. All six (seven) of the base classes can be viable -- Scions aren't in a great spot right now, but you can make one work, and all of the others have various strengths that can make them good choices for any number of builds.

Templars aren't the best summoners, but you could make a reasonable one with the Guardian ascendancy.

Many totem builds are Spell Totem with the chosen spell linked, but Ancestral Warchief (and to a lesser extent Siege Ballista) are viable as well.

I'd recommend that you focus on a single skill with your first character - don't try to make a Summoner/Totem hybrid for example, just pick one or the other and try to figure out how to make that work. As you progress, the game will start to tell you when you don't have enough defense, or enough damage, or whatever.

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    @Griswold thanks.

I'm focusing on some sort of melee build. I just want to mow down hordes of monsters.

Do people often group for stuff, or is this mostly solo?

I'd tried this out when it was still beta but never came back after release. It was pretty confusing and my need to understand mechanics ultimately had me stay with Diablo games.

People do a bit of both. I'm in a guild with people but my schedule and playstyles usually mean I'm doing solo most nights. I don't want to have to go AFK and someone wait for me. Usually I'm just grouping with @mccart if I finally catch up to him.

You can level all the way to end game content in public parties pretty easily. End game is almost entirely solo, and occasionally a duo, but you can still find groups doing daily quests together or map/achievement rotations.

If anyone wants to join me in my journey of leveling my CI Blight Witch, I'll probably be playing some later tonight (West Coast). I'm about level 50, cruel act 3.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    New thread smell.
    Feldorn wrote: »

Templars are a personal favorite of mine, particularly as a self-caster base class. But it's too easy to make generalizations that can be misleading. If I said Templar makes a good "battle caster" you'll probably get all the wrong ideas and there are a lot of exploitative exceptions to any given rule, because players minmax the hell out of this game. Templars I guess could work as attackers, but I generally don't have a lot of experience running a Templar to that purpose, and don't think his ascendencies are all that straightforwardly intuitive for that sort of thing. Although I don't want to get too bogged in justifying why, since I'll just wind up whacking a lot of detail weeds that will be overwhelming for a new player.

Aside from the other advice given, given your desire to melee, I'd probably just recommend starting a Marauder.
    I mostly say this because I think Juggernaut is a very resilient subclass that emphasizes defenses and player freedom. (Read: failure tolerant.)
    Unstoppable is amazing. It effectively trivializes all debuffs to your attack speed, movement and even allowing you to move while you are technically frozen. Package this with a large life pool and maybe stun immunity and your guy will pretty much do what you want him to with you rarely (if ever) losing control over him.

Other than that, building a lot of strength makes it fairly easy for one to stack life. I find it's rarely bad advice to tell new players to just stack life.

As for spell totems. Yes, but it depends. Flameblast is a popular choice of circumventing elemental reflect. And it's also popular for support skills that are meant to do help you do other things better, but which you'd rather not bother doing yourself directly when you can have this automated robot do it for you. Otherwise, I just think Spell Totem is not all that good if you want to use it for main dps. There are skills which are innately totems though (i.e. Ancestral Warchief, Siege Ballista, Shockwave totem and Flame Totem) and I'd rather recommend one of those if you want a totem build. Either that or the Pizza Stick Blaster.

I get the impression Cyclone is pretty strong. Since you're moving as you use it, it actually lets you do damage while going places. And being a moving target is generally always better than being a stationary one.

So yeah: Cyclone Juggernaut sounds pretty good to me for a first build.

Twenty Sided on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    So what are the advantages of using flame dash over other movement abilities? Does the damage get high enough that they needed to limit its use through charges?

Flame Dash crosses terrain impediments, unlike Whirling Blades/Shield Charge, much the same way as Leap Slam/Blink Arrow/TeleportthingywhosenameIforget.

Characters
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Faster than Lightning Warp initially.
    Lightning Warp is better when it actually has levels and Less Duration plus movement speed.

Twenty Sided on