As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] This guy, who I named "Brexit", did something stupid

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

"All-time high", huh. That sounds familiar.
    Better buckle up, the possibility is very real.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    The problem will be if Fillon makes it through to the second round.

Le Pen is likely to win the first round whatever, but will lose badly against Macron, but could scrape by if against Fillon. I'm amazed he's still running what with the criminal investigations against him. As with the Americans primaries to choose candidates seem a bit of a mistake - Juppe was a much better candidate, but didn't appeal to many of the crazies who vote in these sort of elections.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    John Prescott weighs in on Osborne's situation with a short, snappy tweet that gets the message across nicely.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    lenin does a pretty good dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY-R4K8e26g

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I don't get it.

• Options
    Because Gary Lineker has expressed a view that he doesn't find immigrants and refugees repulsive, he is now a member of the left and therefore leader of the opposition

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Because Gary Lineker has expressed a view that he doesn't find immigrants and refugees repulsive, he is now a member of the left and therefore leader of the opposition

he also famously prefers salt and vinegar flavour crisps make him leader of people who think correctly

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

he also famously prefers salt and vinegar flavour crisps make him leader of people who think correctly

He HAS eaten crisps, he'd make a damn fine potato.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

However he advertises Walkers who have the wrong fucking colour packets.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Other gems from Kenny's meeting with Trump:

Since Merkel was delayed by the snow, Kenny ended up being the first EU leader to meet him. (May doesn't count anymore of course)

He "sat him down" and explained in detail what Brexit was and what it could mean for Ireland. (How much of this Trump absorbed is anyone's guess)

Trump was "very surprised" to hear about the hard border and the potential knock-on effect from it. He also expressed surprise at the number of undocumented Irish in America. It's 50,000, Trump assumed it would be many times that.

Lastly, Mike Pence mentioned during a speech that "when you're a President that plays a lot of golf and owns a lot of golf courses that basically makes you royalty in Ireland" a statement that in Trump's case is hilariously accurate when you consider Ireland's historical attitude to royalty.

How do people know how many undocumented Irish are in the US if they're undocumented?

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    In the US no one cares about undocumented immigrants if they're white. People stay past their visas all the time and there's plenty of first generation Irish in certain US cities (Boston and NYC especially)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ed Miliband is throwing some shade about Osborne's new job

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solid Millibants there

• Options
    Other gems from Kenny's meeting with Trump:

Since Merkel was delayed by the snow, Kenny ended up being the first EU leader to meet him. (May doesn't count anymore of course)

He "sat him down" and explained in detail what Brexit was and what it could mean for Ireland. (How much of this Trump absorbed is anyone's guess)

Trump was "very surprised" to hear about the hard border and the potential knock-on effect from it. He also expressed surprise at the number of undocumented Irish in America. It's 50,000, Trump assumed it would be many times that.

Lastly, Mike Pence mentioned during a speech that "when you're a President that plays a lot of golf and owns a lot of golf courses that basically makes you royalty in Ireland" a statement that in Trump's case is hilariously accurate when you consider Ireland's historical attitude to royalty.

How do people know how many undocumented Irish are in the US if they're undocumented?

There are organizations in Ireland set up to help undocumented Irish abroad, especially in the US.

Please don't tell Trump.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think I misunderstand the meaning of the word undocumented in that context. I feel like if something is undocumented then you have no way of knowing about it.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I think I misunderstand the meaning of the word undocumented in that context. I feel like if something is undocumented then you have no way of knowing about it.

Nah, it's stuff like not having the proper paperwork to stay in the US. Stuff like overstaying a tourist visa or whatever. We have a rough idea of their number but enforcement isn't a priority.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

You're right in the literal sense, definitely

The old term was "illegal" but that suggests their existence is illegal, and so isn't used so much these days as it's of questionable virtue.

Undocumented is the new term, which is not technically correct but is better than illegal I suppose.

Personally I'd go with "non-citizen" myself but whatever.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Undocumented really just means without appropriate documents.
    In most cases someone will know, or atleast can infer, their existence within the borders, because they still use services, buy food, possibly pay taxes, etc...
    Largely they are left alone not because they are not known about, but because one department won't, or possibly can't, talk to another, and even when they do, undocumented imigrants are not really that big of a deal, deporting people is rarely worth the money (especially if they are paying taxes).

• Options
    That makes total sense and I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. Excuse my denseness!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Henroid

Financial passporting is a series of agreements that let UK financial firms trade with the rest of the EU without restrictions faced by other countries.

London is currently the hub for EU financial trading, but that would have to change with the loss of passports.

Companies would need to move some staff to offices in Frankfurt or some other city where they have financial offices.

Basically it's the loss of the "single market", but specifically talking about financial firms.

It's uncertain how much that would affect London firms, but as someone who works in the sector in the US, there was a lot of panic after the Brexit vote from colleagues in London.

Bloomberg has a nice Q & A here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-19/u-k-banks-brexit-hopes-boil-down-to-one-word-quicktake-q-a
    Oh rock on, thanks for the info. I'll give that a read. Do want to say though that people can't underestimate how much business high-finance brings, in the form of high-class business travel expenses and such. Not suggesting it will be massive, but big enough to be felt.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The local expenses business will be a loss, but not nearly so much as the large-scale exodus of very well paid people and all the income tax they were paying. It's not a stretch to say that this will probably be a 10-digit hit to government income.

Fortunately, we still have plenty of poor people who can be thrown out to die in the rain to cover that hit.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Wales' universities will be worst hit by a hard Brexit, warns major report

A ‘hard Brexit’ could do untold damage to the educational and cultural fabric of Wales, and would harm our economic competitiveness, a report published today warns.

The document from the Institute of Welsh Affairs says safeguarding these sectors must be a “red line” for the Welsh Government in any talks with the EU.

Wellp

Good thing I'll be graduating soon and getting the heck outta here

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Once upon a time, politicians asked themselves "should I do this?" now they seem to ask"can I get away with this?"

How can anyone defend this; seriously? The only redeeming aspect of this is that May fucking rekt Osborne back when she became PM so hopefully there's still some antagonism between the two parties that'll lead to an actual balanced check against the Government.

I dunno, I think they always asked themselves, "Can I get away with this?"

It's just that now they realize the answer is "Yes" more often than they used to think.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    George Osborne is also a bad friend

George Osborne only went for Evening Standard editorship after friends asked for advice about applying, ally says

George Osborne only went for the Evening Standard editorship after friends asked his advice about applying, it has emerged.

The former Chancellor first considered the role after being inundated with requests for his thoughts from other possible candidates, an ally has claimed.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Senior Tory party member is a selfish wanker. More news at eleven.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I knew this was coming but the figures are surprisingly stark

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/18/nhs-eu-nurses-quit-record-numbers

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/18/nhs-eu-nurses-quit-record-numbers

Huh, you blokes spell hemorrhaging differently. Didn't know that.

Also, holy shit you are fucked. You're losing 33% of your nurses within 10 years and now can't import them?

Ouch.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    £350 million a week!

• Options
    edited March 2017
    It's interesting because it isn't a money thing

It's purely that a significant portion of the people in the country, that are trained to do the job, are not UK nationals

Given that the problem is a lack of clarity and a lack of trust, it isn't even obvious that this is a solvable problem in the short term even if there was a pile of money to be thrown at it

japan on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Oh, absolutely true.

It's just (IMO) a snappier and more instant go-to response to this goosery than "Taking back control!" Although that might be the more appropriate sarcasm for this particular thing.

Long term, there is a possibility, however remote, that you could throw insane money at it and actually fix it. But we're talking, what, a decade at the bare minimum?

• Options
    I encourage everyone in this thread to take a look at the photos of Osborne addressing the Evening Standard staff circulating at the moment. Their expressions are pretty much exactly what you'd imagine.

Meanwhile, Sturgeon has gone full troll.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    To be honest I'm hoping that somewhere in Europe starts making a big push to hoover up people on the sciences. As my partner is one of those in the big uncertain group of filthy foreigners who came here to steal ours jobs and benefits

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    To be honest I'm hoping that somewhere in Europe starts making a big push to hoover up people on the sciences. As my partner is one of those in the big uncertain group of filthy foreigners who came here to steal ours jobs and benefits

Keep an eye on where all the ERC funding that the UK is losing is going. Those are probably the places to look if you guys are thinking of flitting.

japan on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    £350 million a week!

They didn't say exactly how we'd get it. In this case the NHS will have an extra 350 million because we're losing 350 million worth of staff and hospitals.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Keep an eye on where all the ERC funding that the UK is losing is going. Those are probably the places to look if you guys are thinking of flitting.

My wife is lucky in that her current research project is funded by the ERC but is due to finish anyway at the end of this year.

Her next project is being funded by British research grants so for now we're safe.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Huh, you blokes spell hemorrhaging differently. Didn't know that.

Also, holy shit you are fucked. You're losing 33% of your nurses within 10 years and now can't import them?

Ouch.

Actually, we can import as many was we want.

Because we've "taken back control", you see?

• Options

I'm currently on year 1 of a three year ERC funded project. At the end of it my girlfriend (who's also a scientist) and I are strongly considering emigrating. There's just a general feeling of betrayal that our government and our fellow country people are actively destroying our future and prosperity for petty ideological reasons.

This discussion has been closed.