As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

For Blood! For Glory! [For Honor]!

• Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    [
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Holy hell people in the morning are so bad. Like, they're just wildly throwing heavies at me. No combos, no feints or cancels, just heavy after heavy.

To be fair though, if your opponents never parry, you never need to feint. If you 4v4 to rep 3, I would bet you rarely see consistent parries in the scrum.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    [
    Holy hell people in the morning are so bad. Like, they're just wildly throwing heavies at me. No combos, no feints or cancels, just heavy after heavy.

To be fair though, if your opponents never parry, you never need to feint. If you 4v4 to rep 3, I would bet you rarely see consistent parries in the scrum.

My experience has been the opposite. I see more parries in 4v4, presumably because of all the unblockable a flying around that have to be parried.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    So, our tournament tonight has 1 person signed up for it. If we don't get a few more, i'll just call it. <3 Discord is Here if you want to participate. 8pm Eastern, 5pm Pacific, PC, all skill levels welcome.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    yea, i dunno if i can make it, that's why i didn't sign up this week

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    didnt they fix the "bug" of startup frames of a GB not teching

like, before it was you had to react to a GB with tech timing, which meant sometimes you got GB'd out of your own GB's startups

but now then made all startup frames of a GB auto tech as well?

J3qcnBP.png
    okay boys and girls, its currently 6pm eastern, the tournament is supposed to start in 2 hours, but with only one person signing up, i'm afraid im not going to be running it this week! We'll give it another shot next week, but dunno how many active players we still have going. Thanks everyone. <3

n1woEHJ.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    It's also preview weekend for ME:A so that might be impacting it too

tho I guess ME:A drops on Tuesday so if that's a factor it's probably not changing anytime soon :P

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    okay boys and girls, its currently 6pm eastern, the tournament is supposed to start in 2 hours, but with only one person signing up, i'm afraid im not going to be running it this week! We'll give it another shot next week, but dunno how many active players we still have going. Thanks everyone. <3

Technically there are two people signed up.

But yeah, two people does not a tournament make

ObiFett wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »

Technically there are two people signed up.

But yeah, two people does not a tournament make

Dreggan had messaged me a few days back saying he wouldnt make it, forgot he had plans after st patty's day :p

n1woEHJ.png
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    There's a pretty cool 2v2 tourney going on right now, you can catch the stream right here.

edited March 2017
    Something I've been thinking about in regards to balance, is how the "top tier" classes all have a way to generate some form of damage outside of a GB opening. The amount of damage varies, but they all get a way to guarantee damage.

Warlord - headbutt stab
    Warden - shoulder charge into lights/vortex
    Conker - shield charge into light
    PK - outlier, but speed and flickers are near-guarantees

Valkyrie - situational, has vortex, but vortex is reactable. Vortex does guarantee damage on incorrect reads

All other classes cannot guarantee damage off of anything other than an unteched GB/parry. In theory, would creating a method to get gteed damage for all classes be feasible for balance? Examples:

LB - give either a light combo after shove, or shove into wall gives wallsplat.
    Orochi - ??? Not sure what pre-existing moves he has that could be given an additional property.
    Nobushi - Give kick a follow-up to guarantee damage?
    Shugoki - Situational. Has armored moves to trade gteed damage, and knockdown charge sets up damage also.
    Kensei - ??? His cancels seem strong, but I don't see him topping tourneys etc. Not sure what to suggest
    Zerker - Dodge cancels are underutilized, but most high level players will parry the chain. Armored dash tops.
    Raider - Uhhh, lots of issues. Maybe give him a charged pommel strike that becomes unblockable?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Kick does have a damage guarantee. Not only that, it is a bleed damage to boot.

Kick does have a damage guarantee. Not only that, it is a bleed damage to boot.

Does it? After wallsplat? I never see nobushis hit me after the kick.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you land the kick you get a free follow-up basically I think, especially if it's into a wall.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    As a dude who recently ventured into learning Nobushi, yes, the light attack post kick connect is guaranteed and bleeds.

Okay, thanks guys. I don't play her so I was unaware. Is the issue with kick the fact that it only comes out at the end of combos?

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    IIRC kick can come out after either the second hit in her light string, out of hidden stance, or after a dodge strike.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Double-checked.
    Kick can come out after any light or heavy.

Okay, thanks guys. I don't play her so I was unaware. Is the issue with kick the fact that it only comes out at the end of combos?

Also it's slow and really easy to dodge I think. But a lot of people still get caught by it.

Also it's slow and really easy to dodge I think. But a lot of people still get caught by it.

The hardest part about dodging the kick is reminding yourself "No, you actually aren't far enough way, dodge side now."

Yeah I definitely experience that.

I need to play more For Honor - I got sucked into Horizon and Disc Jam the past couple of weeks.

Yeah I definitely experience that.

I need to play more For Honor - I got sucked into Horizon and Disc Jam the past couple of weeks.

If you're on PC I am playing now

I only really play games after 9PM Pacific when my kids go to sleep most nights.

Shugoki doing well in War Rising tourney. It's weird seeing how his openings are based around charge and it's really weird because it's nothing like usual 1v1 gameplay.

Shugoki is the only character in this game that I might be able to lay claim to being halfway decent at.
    The only non-Peacekeeper class that gives me much trouble is Nobushi, and if I were to settle down and learn to parry her lights consistently I believe that could be overturned.
    Oh, and Valkyrie can be pretty rough too... Not really sure what to do about that.

edited March 2017
    Sorry im a few days late, but the new entrants is up for the 3/25 1v1 pc tournament. If you're interested in joining in sign up here with your uplay name.

If we get fewer than 5 sign ups, it'll be the last one we're running, so if you're interested in seeing it keep going, be sure to sign up!

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    A stance on Ubi regarding soft feints and whether or not they are intentional would be super nice for me right now

A stance on Ubi regarding soft feints and whether or not they are intentional would be super nice for me right now

Only one that is intentional is the Raider one, I believe, if I understand soft feints correctly.

capcom never intended kara cancelling to be a thing

but its key to a ton of characters gameplans, all the way back to super turbo

J3qcnBP.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I don't think they're comparable when in this game it pretty much gives you an incorrect attack indicator that you can't react to.

edited March 2017
    those ambiguous abel rolls after hard kd tt or falling sky ehh @Hiryu02

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
    Like, I think because of the 3D nature of the game, as well as the 3-way attack indicators, ambiguity may not be ideal, until they tighten up the mechanics.
    I like mixups and reads, but tbh there is a lot of stuff that needs to be fixed before we talk about whether or not shit is ideal per se.

I don't have a problem with soft feints, but again there is a need for clarity in many other mechanics. I would be in favor of soft feints, with a YELLOW flash as soon as the attack feints, clarity clarity clarity.

PRO-TIP.
    I learned yesterday that you can bypass the need for a directional reaction when parrying by UNLOCKING when you are waiting on a parry you cannot react to directionally. SypherPK used this to parry incoming attacks from a PK without having to input a direction other than "towards" the PK. Similar to how you block outside attacks, I think you can use this askind of a parry hack. I know I'll be testing this in practice mode. But if it works, we have an effective, if awkward way to punish PK light spam.

Dude whaaaaat.
    BRB turning off toggle lock.
    Are you sure it wasn't a deflect or something?

If that works, it makes parrying anything trivial. Let go of shift, hit heavy. That is a pretty huge deal.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    For Honor dev stream on Twitch right now:

Some things discussed so far:

- Another Community Order coming this week
    - Ranked is in the works, but they want to get the connection issues (which they are very aware of and working to fix) taken care of first
    - New Epic outfits coming this week (not sure if these will be like the Mythic or not - don't think it was specified)
    - The two maps they took out will be available by the end of the week for testing in custom games before they return to the main map pool
    - Gear score - gear stats were never meant to have such a major impact, but with stacking stats that's obviously not the case; they want traits to matter far more with gear stats taking a back seat to those; this is actively being addressed and once fixed, it will have the added bonus of helping with matchmaking
    - More balance is in the works - no specifics discussed yet
    - New game modes, maps, and classes are in the works but no specifics at this time

There is supposed to be more discussed after the exhibition match that is currently on. I may have also missed some stuff.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Dude whaaaaat.
    BRB turning off toggle lock.
    Are you sure it wasn't a deflect or something?

If that works, it makes parrying anything trivial. Let go of shift, hit heavy. That is a pretty huge deal.

Yes, it was a parry and it was how SypherPK was getting to reverse the offensive pressure from the enemy PK he was fighting in grand finals last night. Please test it in practice, but that's how I was seeing it work.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

- Ranked is in the works, but they want to get the connection issues (which they are very aware of and working to fix) taken care of first
    - New Epic outfits coming this week (not sure if these will be like the Mythic or not - don't think it was specified)
    - The two maps they took out will be available by the end of the week for testing in custom games before they return to the main map pool
    - Gear score - gear stats were never meant to have such a major impact, but with stacking stats that's obviously not the case; they want traits to matter far more with gear stats taking a back seat to those; this is actively being addressed and once fixed, it will have the added bonus of helping with matchmaking
    - New game modes, maps, and classes are in the works but no specifics at this time

There is supposed to be more discussed after the exhibition match that is currently on. I may have also missed some stuff.

Lots of good things addressed there.

A bit annoyed they didn't address the Steel costs for emotes/outfits/flair.

ObiFett on
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Lots of good things addressed there.

A bit annoyed they didn't address the Steel costs for emotes/outfits/flair.

They're supposed to be prohibitively expensive. Gives people with lots of steel something to spend it on and removes steel from the economy to facilitate real money steel purchases.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Yeah I love this game but I'm waiting for the gear fix before I really pick it up again. Dominion is my main mode, Elims high on the list and occasional forays into Duels when I feel like I should be angry for no good reason, so the current gear and matchmaking system has really been frustrating me. Hopefully the balance changes will address some issues as well.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Gear would be far more balanced if they just outright excised all of the revenge stats.

It wouldn't be perfect but it would no longer be a huge problem driving people away from the game.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012