As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    King of Tokyo is the only other one I'd trust in a bar nobody mentioned yet.

Kemet seems ill-advised.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Probably lean heavy on party games, I would add Snake Oil, Funemployment, The Contender, other things like that.

sig.gif
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    How can something be too vague and also too spoilery?
    somebody...dies?

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Probably obvious, but having numerous decks of cards and sets of poker chips is apt to go over well in a bar.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Probably obvious, but having numerous decks of cards and sets of poker chips is apt to go over well in a bar.

Related: pick up a couple of Pairs decks and print off (or order) a copy of the Pairs Companion or two.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Also, buy about 2,000 card sleeves and sleeve every-goddamn-thing.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Even the drinks.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Even the drinks.

and other things. Be safe!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
      I've enjoyed playing Tichu at bars, but it's strictly a four player affair.

• FryFry Registered User regular
      As much as I hate CAH, if someone asked me what to stock their boardgame bar with, I would suggest one set of CAH cards for like every two tables in their establishment, because it's probably going to be super popular.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Suprised no one mentioned Drunk Quest.

I assume it's not a good bar game?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      Definitely get some copies of games people remember from their childhood. Candy Land, Monopoly, Risk, Connect 4 etc etc.

Don't skimp on a nice library of actually good modern games but in a bar situation I think covering the drunken lowest common denominator is a good bet.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Ah_Pook wrote: »
      Definitely get some copies of games people remember from their childhood. Candy Land, Monopoly, Risk, Connect 4 etc etc.

Don't skimp on a nice library of actually good modern games but in a bar situation I think covering the drunken lowest common denominator is a good bet.

Jenga. And GIANT Jenga. That one's especially fun at parties.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
      get five 200 piece puzzles

put all the pieces in one box

put it out on a table

laugh at confused drunks

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
      edited March 2017
      My local bar has a large and assorted collection of legit gamer-games (in addition to all the party games and stuff you'd expect). Like, Agricola-level "you probably shouldn't be trying to put this away drunk in low light" games. Still works okay for them, but then I think basically all of their regulars are gamers who care.

A thousand thanks to whatever kind soul posted the answer to my shelf question. I actually started looking through my double- and triple-hex pile then thought, "Nah, they're identical to the bookshelves in size and shape, they'd be with those". I have all of the standees and overlays smaller than two full hexes in plano trays, with all the standees labeled. Couldn't come up with a good solution for the larger overlays and actual board tiles so they're occupying an old Dr. Marten's box.

Based on you people I have a copy of Mint Works on its way to my mailbox. I'm going to keep its box next to Gloomhaven so that they average out to two normal-sized games.

CptHamilton on
      PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
      Our local board game bar in DC has nothing stiffer than Catan. Mostly they have a random assortment of nostalgia games. This works really well, because they know any board game nerds are just going to bring their own games anyway, so all the games they have out are to lure in normal people.

What is this I don't even.
    • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
      Red Dragon Inn, with a warning that it should not be played as an actual drinking game.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      Oh hey, I forgot the BitBOX storage containers were coming. Just arrived today, and it's pretty slick. Will try to grab some photos when my camera stops being shit.

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
      Re: Bar Games

A nice big PitchCar track seems like it could go over well.

Tomanta wrote: »
      Red Dragon Inn, with a warning that it should not be played as an actual drinking game.

I just completed my RDI collection, save for promos.. including everything being sleeved.

If Scythe could kill a man, this box could mush him into such a pancake.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
      Sokpuppet wrote: »

A nice big PitchCar track seems like it could go over the wall and into someone's drink.

GNU Terry Pratchett
      PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
      Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
      egc6gp2emz1v.png
    • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
      Giant Jenga and Pitchcar only make sense if he's serving drinks in solo cups.

sig.gif
    • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
      Bursar wrote: »
      Sokpuppet wrote: »

A nice big PitchCar track seems like it could go over the wall and into someone's drink.

Exactly!
      Classic ice-breaker.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      Darkewolfe wrote: »
      Our local board game bar in DC has nothing stiffer than Catan. Mostly they have a random assortment of nostalgia games. This works really well, because they know any board game nerds are just going to bring their own games anyway, so all the games they have out are to lure in normal people.

The Board Room in DC has a better spread. The Beer and Bogglers Meetup is where people bust out the euros and hidden identity games.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
      I'm not sure what vibe he is going for with his establishment yet, I'll have to ask him.

I am not sure if he wants it to be more like one of our local board game cafes + drinks, in which case heavy euros and the like are the norm.

Or if he wants it to be more like a get drunk bar in which case, yeah, durability and simplicity is the name of the game. Thanks for all the feedback so far!

In personal gaming stuff I got Inis to the table again, still loving that game. I remember hearing about a bash the leader problem with the game from this thread but so far this hasn't held true in my games. Both times someone has explosively rocketed forward from not being near an objective to winning in a series of linked, intricate card plays. But man I love that game so far.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      Oh we bash the leader hard every game butt in a real fun way, not at all munchkin-like. Does the intricate combo ever get Geis'd?

sig.gif
      Oh we bash the leader hard every game butt in a real fun way, not at all munchkin-like. Does the intricate combo ever get Geis'd?

In our last game my intricate combo that was going to take me from being present in 2 territories to present in 5 + 1 harp got geis'd, which opened someone else up to going from present in 2 territories to present in 6. This was a 3 player game.

I've played once with 3 and once with 4, while it is fun with either player count, I definitely missed some of the most interesting actions that are available with 4 players.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      I think it's way better with four, yeah. 4 player Inis is a treat.

sig.gif
    • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      Well incidentally Inis just got on my wish list.
      In other news I backed "hexplore it" on kickstarter.
      It comes of as d&d in a can but not requiring the dedication of gloomhaven.

steam_sig.png
      4p Inis is great but I think 2p might be my favorite. It's real fun any count though.

Oh we bash the leader hard every game butt

heavens

I backed it too. I keep wanting to cancel but something keeps me in there. I'm anxious to see some rules or a gameplay vid tho.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
      r0nc7k2358fa.png

W E D I D I T !

narwhal wrote:
      Why am I Terran?
      My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
      Ah neat, after talking to my friend his proposed establishment is less of a boardgame bar and actually more of a board came cafe that also happens to serve spirits and craft beers type of place.

So if that changes anyone's recommendations well, I'm always open for more :D

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
      Couple questions...
      1) I saw a reviewer refer to Gloomhaven as legacy. Can anyone tell me how "legacy" it is? Can I replay scenarios?
      2) I'm considering ordering Mech vs Minions in the wave 2. Part of this is because I played RoboRally with 3 friends and we loved the gameplay. I've read mixed reviews on the 2016 reprint and it would be a bit of work right now to get it in Canada. How "legacy" is MvM? Can I replay scenarios with people?

Okay. I've committed to running a "Board Game 201" series, using my own games/ components to teach longer or more involved games. Current plan is to run it on Tuesdays, from 6 till close (10)

They've requested I run games they have in stock, but I'm thinking the idea is to teach larger games, with expansions and such.

The question is, should I build themes? I know I want to finish with a "Master Class" of Twilight Imperium III 8-player mode on some Saturday, and I do want to throw up a "2 player insanity day" featuring Rebellion and Horus Heresy running simultaneously.. I guess it depends a lot on what games I own.

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
      So, I just assembled the broken token LCG thingy. Which of the seven hells have I gotten myself into. I'm seriously debating getting the terraforming mars organizer to build it before Amazon ships my copy of the game

steam:maguano2
      gamertag:Maguano71
      Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
    • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
      BlazeFire wrote: »
      Couple questions...
      1) I saw a reviewer refer to Gloomhaven as legacy. Can anyone tell me how "legacy" it is? Can I replay scenarios?
      2) I'm considering ordering Mech vs Minions in the wave 2. Part of this is because I played RoboRally with 3 friends and we loved the gameplay. I've read mixed reviews on the 2016 reprint and it would be a bit of work right now to get it in Canada. How "legacy" is MvM? Can I replay scenarios with people?

The general verdict among my friends with more Legacy experience is "not very," or at least not in the same way Risk and Pandemic are.

There's very little to it you can't roll back if you really want to. It's much closer to a campaign-style thing like Descent, at least so far. That said, looking ahead another mission or two I'm starting to see signs of branches opening and being cut off or rerouted pretty drastically, which Descent and similar usually don't do.

Plus you get the cool map to sticker and can edit skills.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      edited March 2017
      Magic Pink wrote: »

I backed it too. I keep wanting to cancel but something keeps me in there. I'm anxious to see some rules or a gameplay vid tho.

Yeah a rules video would be nice. The beer and boardgames video was a a bit crap.
      The rules are available in pdf on the campaignpage to hexplore.
      BlazeFire wrote: »
      Couple questions...

I replay MvM with people who are new to the game regularly. I don't mind replaying the scenario's because the program cards come out differently each time and stomping minions is just so much fun.

Dirtmuncher on
      steam_sig.png
      Played another game of the new Buffy coop last night. It's a very fun lighter coop (mechanics wise) but man it gets really brutal really fast in the back half of the game.

This discussion has been closed.