As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Aquaman pushed back two months to Xmas 2018, the week before Mary Poppins Returns

Won't it also be going up against the Han Solo movie

Han Solo movie is currently scheduled for May. Aquaman would be opening same week as the Miles Morales film

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I would argue that the characters and emotions of Suicide Squad were almost entirely well executed, if a bit sloppily so

The plot was garbage, admittedly

Were they? So much of their backstory were established in short flashbacks with one or two sentence descriptions from Waller.

"Harley and Joker were the kings and queens of Gotham. And she's even crazier than the Joker."
    "Flag and June fell in love, just as I planned."
    "People treat Croc like a monster so he acts like a monster."
    "Captain Boomerang is an asshole."
    "Slipknot is the obvious red shirt who will die."

They don't actually show you any character development.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I would argue that the characters and emotions of Suicide Squad were almost entirely well executed, if a bit sloppily so

Were they? So much of their backstory were established in short flashbacks with one or two sentence descriptions from Waller.

"Harley and Joker were the kings and queens of Gotham. And she's even crazier than the Joker."

I mean, that's the sloppy part of it, yeah

But I mean

That's who those characters are

The only characters who the movie fucked up are Waller and Batman

Waller shouldn't be an idiot, and Batman shouldn't assault a man as he walks through a dark alley with his kid

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

The Deadshot stuff was OK. But maybe that's because there was a likable actor in there.

But yeah, I don't remember a damn thing about any of the other origins other than, "Harley be crazy, yo", and I only just watched the movie a few weeks ago.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

But I mean

Waller shouldn't be an idiot, and Batman shouldn't assault a man as he walks through a dark alley with his kid

But the character motivations, interactions, and development depended on those backstories having some kind of weight.

For example, Rick Flag coming clean about his relationship with June is supposed to be what motivates Deadshot to help. The fact that Flag was willing to kill Enchantress even if it meant killing June was supposed to have an emotional impact. But no one gives a crap because they set up that entire relationship with a 15 second flashback with a two sentence narration from Waller.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Okay this isn't DC but it needs to be posted somewhere
    Clueless-cover.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=20&w=450&h=736&fit=crop&dpr=1.5
    @Keith when did you take over Boom

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Oh my fucking dog

Aquaman is getting a new artist, Stjepan Sejic, and a new look
    yQkTFOC.jpg
    I am very into it

CYpGAPn.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It doesn't really look that different from classic Aquaman to me

It doesn't really look that different from classic Aquaman to me

It is the beard and hair

Normally he has close cropped hair and no beard

It's sexy disheveled Aquaman

CYpGAPn.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Sejic was the first replacement artist on Rat Queens and he draws sexy people very very well

a Sejic-drawn Aquaman might even give Namor a run for his money

EAWgkWv.jpg
    swoon

CYpGAPn.png
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    So thats why he was posting pics of Mera and Aquaman the past few months.

Dammit, may have to pick up Aquaman now.(Love basically all things Sejic. Also new Ravine chapters, 2nd chapter of Death Vigil and followup to Sunstone (though that one will probably be 2018 when it comes out, so he's keeping busy.)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    It's worth picking up the 20 or so issues of Aquaman prior to this, Abnett has been putting in work and it's been consistently one of the best Rebirth books

CYpGAPn.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Stupid sexy Aquaman...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited March 2017
    Nevermind

Dizzy D on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Still has both hands. 7/10

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Still has both hands. 7/10

He's wearing gloves, so there's still a chance.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Watching the Firestorm reveal for Injustice 2 and kinda bummed they largely made him Fire guy.

Thought there could be some neat stuff to be done with his whole powerset.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It's worth picking up the 20 or so issues of Aquaman prior to this, Abnett has been putting in work and it's been consistently one of the best Rebirth books

I'd recommend reading up to issue 16. The Deluge story was good, and all in all I think it did a good job building on the first arc of the book.

It's been spinning it's wheels for the past few issues though. Seems like he's mostly wrapping up plot threads from the pre rebirth stuff, and I never read any of that stuff, so I'm a bit lost.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

But I mean

i honestly wonder how much the characterization would improve in a re-edit. the biggest problem is how scattershot and out of order the character beats are.

no saving the dumb plot, tho

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh man, I LOVE Sejic's art.

Gonna have to check that book out.

IKknkhU.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah if you're like "I want a sex comic" you turn to sejic right now

liEt3nH.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

He also happens to do wonderful Final Fantasy fanart occasionally

EDIT: And I desperately want him to get a Harley/Ivy team-up book at some point. Hell, just have him reboot Gotham City Sirens. He'd be great at it.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Stilts wrote: »

He also happens to do wonderful Final Fantasy fanart occasionally

EDIT: And I desperately want him to get a Harley/Ivy team-up book at some point. Hell, just have him reboot Gotham City Sirens. He'd be great at it.

Linked because big, but relevant:
    http://imgur.com/a/Mb8S5

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I am a huge fan of Aquaman and a huge fan of Stjepan Sejic's work (both art and his comics).

This was made for me. <3

Edit: Aquaman's also been one of the most consistently good to great books throughout all of New-52 and Rebirth.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    But for reals, his original series Death Vigil is both good and fun. The guy has a fantastic sense of how to mix in great humor into serious stories.

(And he also does a softcore lesbian bdsm comic if that's your thing.)
    (His adult stuff is under the pseudonyms Nebezial and Shiniez.)

TITANS-12.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=20&w=450&h=682&fit=crop&dpr=1.5
    Holy crap this cover

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Does it still have Brett Booth art inside

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Why is Jean Grey in the DC universe?

Also, why is Arsenal a gnome?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bich be trippin yo

Keith wrote: »
    Nope, Rocafort on the cover and inside

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Nope, Rocafort on the cover and inside

It's like DC is pushing good artists again...

I thought Ricafort had a Marvel exclusive contract? Did that expire or am I misremembering?

I thought Ricafort had a Marvel exclusive contract? Did that expire or am I misremembering?
    It must have, if he did

I wonder if DC upped its pay or something cause there was a big deal made about him coming to Marvel for Ultimates and then he left right after

CYpGAPn.png
    Can Marvel Sign Brett Booth so I don't have to see his art on books I care about, please?

I seriously don't know Why DC keeps using him. He's awful

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Can Marvel Sign Brett Booth so I don't have to see his art on books I care about, please?

Sure, but DC needs to take Greg Land in return

edited March 2017
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Sure, but DC needs to take Greg Land in return

I mean, he actually drew the comics he did for DC, so

Garlic Bread on
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Rocafort with DC (during New52) was great, but he got paired with Lobdell most of the time and that sucked.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    So the library I work at got this fuckhuge tome; The Death and Return of Superman.

Given that this was the same way I read Crisis on Infinite Earths I decided to give it a try.

Jumping in has been a bit confusing. Why is Lex Luthor suddenly an Australian with a fabulous mane of red hair (apparently tended to by Prince)? Why is he fucking supergirl, who is now some sort of doppleganger? Who the heck is Bloodwynd and why is that important? Why does a top secret cadmus facility have a bunch of kids in boyscout uniforms wandering about? Comic booooooks!

That said I got through the "Death" part (which was like 400 pages and still maybe just over a quarter of the book) and I quite liked it. Which I guess shouldn't be surprising since this is the part people liked before the rest of the saga ruined it retroactively. Doomsday is one of those 90s as fuck designs. Superman is being Superman and its kinda nice to see that even though he's getting his ass beat he still goes out of his way to help people caught in the crossfire fuck you zack snyder.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.