As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I think all the talk about the 1080Ti around the place is making people forget that the GTX1070 is a ludicrously powerful graphics card in its own right.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    have the prices dropped at all on the 1070?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    have the prices dropped at all on the 1070?

Yes, I believe it is $349 RRP now.

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    This is the wrong place to ask for this kind of help, but I have multiple GCs burning holes in my pocket. I can pick up a new 1070 6GB for $25 out of pocket. Or I can get a 1080 for around $225 out of pocket.

I'm actually debating this right now because I don't play bleeding edge games. I did get a Dell 1440p display recently, but there is nothing super taxing, game-wise, that I care about.

Whichever I end up getting, I'm planning to sell my 780 on the secondary market. (one of my Monoprice monitors is on eBay as I write this)

I mean if you don't care about all the pretty's in a game. Just spend the 25$ and get the 1070.

I have a 1070. I'm getting all of the pretties in any game I play.

You wouldn't if you wanted to run 4k, but I'm maxing everything I play at 1440p and still getting more than adequate framerates on even the more taxing titles.

Yeah, sorry not to make it sound like the 1070 is a slouch of a gpu at all. 25$ for a 1070 is amazing. That extra 200$ to go for the 1080 is only going to get you around 25% better performance. Which isn't the best bang for your buck!

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I'm home with the PG38Q. I really don't have enough superlatives to describe this screen. It's gorgeous, massive, looks great on my desk (and will look even more amazing attached to my Obutto when it gets here in a few weeks). I'm not going to make some value proposition about it, it's an expensive piece of kit...but if you can afford it, it's amazing.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, more bits o' computer have arrived here at Casa Hedgie. Today's shipment: the power supply (a Seasonic X-850), and the SSD (Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB). Slowly, I'm getting everything to build the computer.

Next week's fun:
    The video card (EVGA 1070 SC Black 8GB);
    Odds and ends - thermal compound, and an internal USB hub (need two headers, MB only has one.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If you haven't automatically settled on Arctic Silver, check out some paste reviews like this one.

I've switched to using mostly IC Diamond. It's a bit of a pain to spread, but it works really well. Nothing wrong with Arctic Silver 5 though. Unless you are going for some extreme OC it will work fine.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I've switched to using mostly IC Diamond. It's a bit of a pain to spread, but it works really well. Nothing wrong with Arctic Silver 5 though. Unless you are going for some extreme OC it will work fine.

I have a tube of IC Diamond 7 coming.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I suppose when it isn't triple digits it doesn't look like overspending.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    My desktop is nearly 10 years old and converting to 10 from 7 when it was built for xp would be too risky.

Yeah. But did you at least download it?

edited March 2017
    My desktop is nearly 10 years old and converting to 10 from 7 when it was built for xp would be too risky.

Windows 10 runs better than 7, from everything I've experienced.

It gave my first generation surface pro a new lease on life over windows 8.

Dhalphir on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I was playing Skyrim with a shitload of mods when 10 released. When I upgraded, I got consistently better FPS and less crashes. I was amazed and astonished. 10 is smaller and seems to run better than 7 in a lot of instances.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Only problem I've run into is finding divers for a few pieces of older hardware

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life

Only problem I've run into is finding divers for a few pieces of older hardware

I've not had any problems with that, although I'm not running anything truly old. Drivers are actually one are where Windows 10 SHINES. The default generics are often actually better than manufacturer drivers - I run Windows generic drivers for my Inatek PCI-E USB expansion card, because they provide better bandwidth performance than Inatek's drivers.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I have a core 2 quad pc that was built for xp running 10, along with an nvidia 285 and I don't have any driver issues (outside of full dx11 support on the 285 but that's not really related to windows 10 at all).

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    For the hell of it I installed Windows 10 on an ancient netbook a while back with a single core 1.6GHz Intel Atom N270 and 1GB of RAM and it works fine. It even has the "Designed for Windows XP" sticker on it.

Well, "works fine" in that it "works but it hits the pagefile harder than John Goodman hits honeybaked hams", but it still booted and ran just fine with all hardware working and no issues out of the box (other than the fact that it's warp slow due to only having 1GB of RAM and a 5400RPM mechanical hard drive).

edit: Gaze upon what dark science has done

NjVg3rE.png

SmokeStacks on
    I'm baffled a machine like that even ran XP

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

The first Netbook I ever owned was an old eeePC, basically the exact same specs except a 4GB (later 16GB) SSD. It ran XP ok, but the cool thing to do at the time was pirate a copy of Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (Microsoft's stripped down version of Windows XP, designed for older PCs in corporate environments) and install that instead. I wish I could find another of that model, I'd rather have an 8.9" screen than the 10" this one currently has.

It's just a fuckaround machine though, my daily driver laptop is an old Thinkpad.

edited March 2017
    Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams

Let's be fair, it needed something to do.

Bloodycow wrote: »
    What you guys want is Windows 9!

That reminds me of when Win98 was just coming out and there were all kinds of ways people created to try and up 95 to be as close to 98 as possible. It was missing a few of the more key components of 98, but was still kind of fun trying to get up and running.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So I went on a mission yesterday.

1) apparently the Amex GC I tried to use on my Dell monitor disappeared and got used by someone.

2) I have $460 in Amazon credit and now I'm torn between 1070 and 1080

What have you guys done to me?

So I just got and installed my 1080 Ti, which I'm super excited about. However, two issues cropped up:

1. My 1440 display isn't showing any resolution options above 1080p (it was running at 1440p on my 980 Ti). Wondering if this is related to the fact that I'm now using a DVI to Displayport adapter? But it seems unlikely.
    2. None of the devices plugged into my USB card are being recognized now.

Any thoughts?

Edit: #2 was the result of me jostling the USB card's power loose during card installation. Still dealing with #1 though.

The adapter has to not just output a DVI signal, but a dual link DVI signal to get the higher resolutions.

Now that I'm double checking the amazon listing that seems like it might be my issue. I can't seem to find one that supports 1440p, any suggestions?

Edit: NVIDIA also packed in an adapter with the 1080 Ti that seems to have the same issue :?

You probably figured this out already, but just go buy a DisplayPort cable. The adapter the 1080 Ti ships with is Single-Link, it can only do 1080p. For 1440p+ you either need a dual-link DVI to DP, or you can just use DP, which is really the recommended route if your monitor supports it (and I can't imagine a 1440p monitor without DisplayPort).

edited March 2017
    So you will have to spend like 80$ out of pocket for a 1080? That's tough, me I would just go for the 1080 for the extra longevity.

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So I just got and installed my 1080 Ti, which I'm super excited about. However, two issues cropped up:

1. My 1440 display isn't showing any resolution options above 1080p (it was running at 1440p on my 980 Ti). Wondering if this is related to the fact that I'm now using a DVI to Displayport adapter? But it seems unlikely.
    2. None of the devices plugged into my USB card are being recognized now.

Any thoughts?

Edit: #2 was the result of me jostling the USB card's power loose during card installation. Still dealing with #1 though.

The adapter has to not just output a DVI signal, but a dual link DVI signal to get the higher resolutions.

Now that I'm double checking the amazon listing that seems like it might be my issue. I can't seem to find one that supports 1440p, any suggestions?

Edit: NVIDIA also packed in an adapter with the 1080 Ti that seems to have the same issue :?

You probably figured this out already, but just go buy a DisplayPort cable. The adapter the 1080 Ti ships with is Single-Link, it can only do 1080p. For 1440p+ you either need a dual-link DVI to DP, or you can just use DP, which is really the recommended route if your monitor supports it (and I can't imagine a 1440p monitor without DisplayPort).

My monitor only has DVI and VGA.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-IPS-ZERO-G-Monitor-2560x1440-110509/dp/B00DIGC6GO

I bought it in 2013, when nothing I had required DisplayPort or HDMI.

I just bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0157RW0J4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and am desperately hoping it works despite mixed reviews, because otherwise I have to shell out $400 for a new monitor and I'd strongly prefer not to do that.

If anyone else has had to solve this problem with adapters I'd really appreciate a link to what they used.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Ok. It's probably whittled down to Asus STRIX 1080 or EVGA ACX 3.0. Zotac is on my radar but their offering on Amazon is a bit pricy

Yeah, not really sure. It may work, but that supported refresh rate is sad face :( From what I'm seeing decent Dual-Link DVI to DP converters are 100 bucks or more.

Better to save for a better monitor.

Yeah, not really sure. It may work, but that supported refresh rate is sad face :( From what I'm seeing decent Dual-Link DVI to DP converters are 100 bucks or more.

The issue looks like the converter needs to be active to get the proper refresh rates.

The issue looks like the converter needs to be active to get the proper refresh rates.

I....may have a solution but I have to go home first. I have a Dual Link DVI adapter I no longer need. I'll post a pic later.

• HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    I didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but given how close AMD and NVidia cards are these days, for anyone who cares about these things you can no longer use GFE to keep drivers up-to-date without a login (either Google account, Facebook or a GFE account, which doesn't sync with their forums?). As someone who has no use for any other function of GFE, I found this astronomically irritating - there's no reason for them to need any of that from me in order to keep my drivers up to date, and the rest of GFE is really just system bloat to me.

Not really a tech issue, more of an FYI to anyone this sort of thing would be a deciding factor, all else equal. It otherwise works fine, seems like there could be some useful tools if you don't mind the hassle.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    I didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but given how close AMD and NVidia cards are these days, for anyone who cares about these things you can no longer use GFE to keep drivers up-to-date without a login (either Google account, Facebook or a GFE account, which doesn't sync with their forums?). As someone who has no use for any other function of GFE, I found this astronomically irritating - there's no reason for them to need any of that from me in order to keep my drivers up to date, and the rest of GFE is really just system bloat to me.

Not really a tech issue, more of an FYI to anyone this sort of thing would be a deciding factor, all else equal. It otherwise works fine, seems like there could be some useful tools if you don't mind the hassle.

I uninstalled GFE on Saturday because of that. Stupid decision. I'll manually download drivers. Whatever.

Oh shit. Oh shit.

I went to Nowinstock, and looked up the motherboard I've been waiting on.

It was in stock at Newegg.

It has now been ordered, with 3 day shipping and expedited processing.

As soon as I can confirm that it's on its way, everything else is getting ordered.

[ronpaulitshappening.jpg]

@GnomeTank - any advice on using the IC Diamond?

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So who's going to be the guinea pig and buy the new LG 4k HDR QDOT monitor?

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

• Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    Damn that is an awesome computer.

This discussion has been closed.