As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Southpaw Regional [chat] is the coolest ever

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Outside smoking, some drunk dude just fell into some bushes.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Elldren wrote: »
    I'm pretty good at all three of those

Ok not putting away scotch so much i am the lightest lightweight

being a lightweight is its own special skill

rRwz9.gif
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I didn't think iron fist was amazing but it wasn't awful. Action was solid and had some cool moments and the story was mostly interesting. Still want to know more about all of the Defenders and see them team up so I guess mission accomplished.

Oof. The critics disagree.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/marvel_s_iron_fist/s01/

• PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I am at a birthday party and I have had a reasonable amount to drink. I suck at Risk. I'm ok at putting away ice cream sandwiches and scotch.

He who controls Australia controls the world.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I am at a birthday party and I have had a reasonable amount to drink. I suck at Risk. I'm ok at putting away ice cream sandwiches and scotch.

If you are playing against people who don't metagame the shit out of it then your go to move is take Australia. If they do, then South America.

But either way, one territory per turn.

This is future risk so there are weird rules i am not understanding

rRwz9.gif
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I'm pretty good at all three of those

Ok not putting away scotch so much i am the lightest lightweight

being a lightweight is its own special skill

Its much cheaper to drink that way!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It's just tremendously boring and the main character has all the charisma of a sulky turnip

There is vary any kung fu and there is just forgettable plot beats slowly grinding away while thin characters move vaguely about

It's not horrendous, there's just nothing to care about and no stakes

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Iron Fist is meh

but Legion is the exciting and visually stunning marvel property on TV at the moment and they made an aubrey plaza lapdance menacing

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    This bus stinks

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I didn't think iron fist was amazing but it wasn't awful. Action was solid and had some cool moments and the story was mostly interesting. Still want to know more about all of the Defenders and see them team up so I guess mission accomplished.

Yeah its getting panned but I'm seeing a lot of positive impressions too. Better than daredevil season 2 and most of Luke cage I think. Definitely has some problems but it was fun.

Iron Fist is meh

but Legion is the exciting and visually stunning marvel property on TV at the moment and they made an aubrey plaza lapdance menacing

Legion is an incredible show. I am blown away by every episode.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    my mom came over and tried HTC vive and kept trying to play job simulator chef correctly

like when it told her to make soup she's putting salt and pepper in using ingredients that actually go together but she kept dropping things and accidentally broke a wine bottle and half of it hit the manager and she just broke down laughing

*nods approvingly*

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

@Jacobkosh
    http://www.datagenetics.com/blog/november22011/

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    So Iron Fist is pretty bad, even the action, what little there is (wtf?)

But apparently the main dude only had three weeks to prepare for this role! So that's really fucked and honestly what he's managing to do is quite impressive with that little prep

yeah I'd like to see what they do with more prep for a second season and now that
    all this meachum shit is done

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    It's just tremendously boring and the main character has all the charisma of a sulky turnip

There is vary any kung fu and there is just forgettable plot beats slowly grinding away while thin characters move vaguely about

It's not horrendous, there's just nothing to care about and no stakes

except Colleen Wing, True Main Character

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular

the rotten tomatoes says big bang theory is 80-something percent fresh.

Sometimes, the world is just not that great at telling you what's good.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    When I explained to my buddy about how Southpaw Regional Wrestling is pro wrestlers LARPing as other pro wrestlers he's like "wait but pro wrestling itself is basically a giant LARP" and i'm like yes alan thatsthejoke.jpg

he says that's the most meta god damn thing

i'm like idk bud, one time while doing a vampire LARP, one of our buddies was late and that actually kind of screwed up the thing we were planning to do so we like, waited around in character for him to get here

and we were like, anybody got any cards?

one dude, his character is actually a kind of nerdy dude because let's be real he wasn't playing a character too dissimilar from his actual self, shock of shocks

and he's like well i got these books in my bag, a game called Dungeons & Dragons

suddenly we all realize this is a fucking amazing idea and we roll with it

most of the people there were like, roleplaying that they didn't know what it was and had to be taught how to play and had to feign disinterest in this shit, because it suited their character

but like, i was playing a Nos who was a centuries-old giant fucking hipster dipshit asshole about culture and art and history (the kind of guy who would be like "oh you like Beethoven? that's nice I listened to him LIVE") and this included, i decided just then, being a grognard shithead about roleplaying games and being like "man i played this game in 70's when it was good"

the funny part is like 4 out of 6 of us were like, actually dudes who played D&D together and this dude who pulled out his D&D books was also our DM for that campaign so he had our character sheets, so we were actually using our characters from that campaign (of course, for the purposes of that campaign this adventure would be non-canon)

so yeah, I once played D&D as my vampire LARP character playing D&D, which included talking in-character as my LARP character who was talking in-character as his D&D character (which was actually my D&D character)

I dunno, the Marvel shows seem to be on a downward trajectory. More and more of each show seems to be rushed, like it's being made for the sake of being made. There is none of the intent or style or vision you saw in much of Daredevil S1.

the rotten tomatoes says big bang theory is 80-something percent fresh.

Sometimes, the world is just not that great at telling you what's good.

There's that, yeah

But it's definitely the weakest of the Marvel Netflix series by a wide margin.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    Okay the best part of the show so far has been a fight that happened in s3

That was fun.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Lesson learned for the day, don't play EU4 ironman drunk

*watches as half of his empire folds away under the weight of a coalition war after totally forgetting to worry about infamy*

I dunno, the Marvel shows seem to be on a downward trajectory. More and more of each show seems to be rushed, like it's being made for the sake of being made. There is none of the intent or style or vision you saw in much of Daredevil S1.

I suspect this is because they are. The original plan for the sjow wad they'd be like the movies - one installment (season) apiece, then the big crossover (Defenders), then another installment.

The success of Daredevil s1 took them by surprise and the second season was rushed into production. The original Daredevil showrunner, having anticipated a generous year or two break, had already made other commitments so s2 was headed up by a lieutenant. When I heard that, I fully expected s2 to be a mess and I suspect this hasty rejiggering of schedules had knock-on effects on the subsequent shows.

Iron Fist in particular had a publicly troubled gestation. I mean, even aside from the various political controversies, they took a really long time to nail down a cast

@Evil Multifarious

rRwz9.gif
    I'm hoping after Defenders they get the chance to plot things out better

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    today a woman tried to get me to give her 200 dollars because she said she'd been charged 10 times for a purchase on march 16th. she pulled out a piece of paper where she'd literally handwritten/drawn a rendering of a bank's online balance page. like, consistent spacing, an 'elevations credit union' banner drawn and colored in etc

it was such a bummer because she seemed really obviously mentally ill

:<

I am liking the complication of the villains in ep4

It does already seem more interesting and comic bookish than the first three as people say. I'm interested enough to keep watching.

Despite my problems with Daredevil I still think S1 was genuinely something special, as most of JJ and half of S2 DD. I hope they don't phone it in with Defenders but I'm not optimistic now.

Legion is good enough to make up for all of that though. I am very curious about how much they'll tie it in.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Daredevil S2 really suffered from Matt Murdoch's plot kind of disconnecting from the other characters mid-way through which I think is a mistake a lot of shows end up making - they just diverge character stories way too much and don't reincorporate them?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    In case anyone needs a happy / cute distraction.

It does already seem more interesting and comic bookish than the first three as people say. I'm interested enough to keep watching.

Despite my problems with Daredevil I still think S1 was genuinely something special, as most of JJ and half of S2 DD. I hope they don't phone it in with Defenders but I'm not optimistic now.

Legion is good enough to make up for all of that though. I am very curious about how much they'll tie it in.

Legion is Fox. It's the X-Men franchise, which Fox has a death grip on. Do it's the same "cinematic universe" as, like, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Which honestly makes its quality even more impressive

rRwz9.gif

Unfortunately Legion is mutants so it's tied to X-Men meaning it's Fox

I'd be excited if they could work out a thing like what they did with Sony to pull in Spider-Man but I'm not gonna hold my breath

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    Daredevil S2 really suffered from Matt Murdoch's plot kind of disconnecting from the other characters mid-way through which I think is a mistake a lot of shows end up making - they just diverge character stories way too much and don't reincorporate them?

Writing is hard. Writing plots for multiple characters and having them connect is very hard. We're spoiled by effortless brilliance of plot like (seriously) Seinfeld. I think it's valid to criticize bad plotting but man I have to acknowledge that is a tough job, especially in TV with so many external factors cramping you.

Guys I know it's x men, god, I'm a nerd too

I'm wondering if

(Legion hypothetical spoilers)
    Patrick Stewart will show up, or images will be used.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Writing is hard. Writing plots for multiple characters and having them connect is very hard. We're spoiled by effortless brilliance of plot like (seriously) Seinfeld. I think it's valid to criticize bad plotting but man I have to acknowledge that is a tough job, especially in TV with so many external factors cramping you.

i think most shows also have multiple writers working on separate episodes at the same time

sig.gif
    also in less gripping work news:

a guy called, angry, because his son had been charged x price for some steaks and when he got home, the dad opened the packaging and saw a cheaper sticker underneath. he asked me why this would be, what kind of scam are we running? i respond huh, well, it may have been a cut that was on sale until recently? we don't generally raise the base price of an item on the floor, we just sell it away till it's gone first. and he said, i don't want to hear that shit, i want you to look into this and call me back.

ok.

so i go to the meat department and talk to the butcher. he says oh yeah, that guy- he wanted ribeye, i accidentally printed out the wrong sticker. and before even handing him the steak i said whoops, this is a ribeye. here's the right price. and he said ok, and took it and left.

so i call the guy back and explain and he says that's bullshit, if he printed a lower price first that's what he should honor, even if my dumbshit son agreed to the higher (correct) price.

i said ok, i will gladly refund you the difference next time you're in.

he says no, i want it comped and i want a personal apology from the butcher for trying to rip off my son

ok sir you'll have to call back tomorrow and speak with the store manager bai

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    what a garbage person!

edit: i hope the store manager offers him nothing, not even the refund you did

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

Yup and it's fucking killing me, I really like Iron Fist its the one thing I keep checking in on and I really wanted to see it done well.

But man fuck it sounds so bad I really don't want to watch it.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    what a reasonable human

he'll 100% get the difference refunded. i strongly doubt he gets a full refund, and i'm positive he won't get a personal apology because my store manager is thankfully not big on abasement of that sort.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    So Thunderlord is learning new words and actions like WOAH!

Now if you pull out a camera she will look at you and say cheese, gives proper kisses, Waves hello and good bye, hell on the way home today she was playing with my wedding band on my finger and when I told her it was a ring she looked right at me and said "ring".

She is in the stage where she is a goddamn sponge of knowledge and its so amazing.

oh and also one of our fulltime employees quit suddenly to join the military, so we're down 245 hours next week (out of a budget of 1500 hours for the week) before any sick calls

3_3

in good news tho, still no monstrous fat moments since boston and i have run every day

*flexes, shits self*

This discussion has been closed.