As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Southpaw Regional [chat] is the coolest ever

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I dunno, the Marvel shows seem to be on a downward trajectory. More and more of each show seems to be rushed, like it's being made for the sake of being made. There is none of the intent or style or vision you saw in much of Daredevil S1.

Yup and it's fucking killing me, I really like Iron Fist its the one thing I keep checking in on and I really wanted to see it done well.

But man fuck it sounds so bad I really don't want to watch it.

It's better than Luke cage. But I went in knowing nothing about it. It's not aggressively bad or anything. Has some slow parts and occasionally cheesy lines but nothing too egregious.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh and also one of our fulltime employees quit suddenly to join the military, so we're down 245 hours next week (out of a budget of 1500 hours for the week) before any sick calls

3_3

Normal person: That sucks, it's gonna be really busy. I hope you can find someone soon.

Veteran: which branch?

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Pony wrote: »
    When I explained to my buddy about how Southpaw Regional Wrestling is pro wrestlers LARPing as other pro wrestlers he's like "wait but pro wrestling itself is basically a giant LARP" and i'm like yes alan thatsthejoke.jpg

he says that's the most meta god damn thing

i'm like idk bud, one time while doing a vampire LARP, one of our buddies was late and that actually kind of screwed up the thing we were planning to do so we like, waited around in character for him to get here

and we were like, anybody got any cards?

one dude, his character is actually a kind of nerdy dude because let's be real he wasn't playing a character too dissimilar from his actual self, shock of shocks

and he's like well i got these books in my bag, a game called Dungeons & Dragons

suddenly we all realize this is a fucking amazing idea and we roll with it

most of the people there were like, roleplaying that they didn't know what it was and had to be taught how to play and had to feign disinterest in this shit, because it suited their character

but like, i was playing a Nos who was a centuries-old giant fucking hipster dipshit asshole about culture and art and history (the kind of guy who would be like "oh you like Beethoven? that's nice I listened to him LIVE") and this included, i decided just then, being a grognard shithead about roleplaying games and being like "man i played this game in 70's when it was good"

the funny part is like 4 out of 6 of us were like, actually dudes who played D&D together and this dude who pulled out his D&D books was also our DM for that campaign so he had our character sheets, so we were actually using our characters from that campaign (of course, for the purposes of that campaign this adventure would be non-canon)

so yeah, I once played D&D as my vampire LARP character playing D&D, which included talking in-character as my LARP character who was talking in-character as his D&D character (which was actually my D&D character)

christ there's a part two of this story i forgot that was funny

which was that one dude who was also part of the game but wasn't playing with us specifically at the time (it was a whole big event thing at the university, we rented out a building) walked into the room with a gesture that's basically like the LARP hand signal for I'm passing through, I'm not in character, ignore me

so that you don't have to interrupt some other people's scene or force them to acknowledge you or interact with you just because you had to walk through the room to like, get to the can or something and there was no other way around

(as an aside, using this method to like, eavesdrop on people or as a way to essentially sneak up on another character using a stealth power your character doesn't actually have is pretty much treated like the LARP equivalent of hacking and is frowned upon)

anyway so he walks in doing this, and sees us and is like what the fuck, guys

starts talking to us out of character (maintaining the gesture indicating he is doing so, as per the rules), giving us shit for fucking playing D&D in the middle of the official LARP session when everyone here is, y'know, doing a fucking thing

because it's fucking rude as hell, it's like going to a fancy restaurant with your friends and then you pull out and start eating some McDonalds that you brought with you, like what the fuck guys

and we're like no no, listen, and we explain what we're doing to him

he's like holy fucking shit and laughs his ass off and apologizes and is like oh my god please continue

and moves along, telling everyone he meets about this

Pony on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    she is joining le army

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I dunno, the Marvel shows seem to be on a downward trajectory. More and more of each show seems to be rushed, like it's being made for the sake of being made. There is none of the intent or style or vision you saw in much of Daredevil S1.

Yup and it's fucking killing me, I really like Iron Fist its the one thing I keep checking in on and I really wanted to see it done well.

It's better than Luke cage. But I went in knowing nothing about it. It's not aggressively bad or anything. Has some slow parts and occasionally cheesy lines but nothing too egregious.

Luke Cage is totes better, sorry. Central themes, overall tone, tone consistency, better characters, more fun for most of it.

Weakest thing about Luke Cage is the very end, which is a bummer, but doesn't drop it below Iron Fist.

That being said, Iron Fist is not completely awful, and I'd say it's worth watching. It's just messy compared to the other series.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    But Jessica Jones was better than Daredevil

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »

Luke Cage is totes better, sorry. Central themes, overall tone, tone consistency, better characters, more fun for most of it.

Weakest thing about Luke Cage is the very end, which is a bummer, but doesn't drop it below Iron Fist.

That being said, Iron Fist is not completely awful, and I'd say it's worth watching. It's just messy compared to the other series.

The acting and dialogue in Luke Cage are embarrassing, borderline unwatchable. The scenes with the two cops are atrocities. Everything after episode two is the worst thing in the MCU. It also manages to be boring and pointless on top of that, with the worst villain in the MCU, a remarkable achievement.

Iron Fist is just boring and anodyne and obviously rushed. Nothing is actively horrific.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I mean if by very end you mean the last half. Luke cage started good and dropped off dramatically. Iron fist keeps a decent level of quality throughout and there are a few standout cool moments. And I like most of the iron fist characters a lot more. They're both kinda messy though.

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

The acting and dialogue in Luke Cage are embarrassing, borderline unwatchable. The scenes with the two cops are atrocities. Everything after episode two is the worst thing in the MCU. It also manages to be boring and pointless on top of that, with the worst villain in the MCU, a remarkable achievement.

Iron Fist is just boring and anodyne and obviously rushed. Nothing is actively horrific.

white cop guy talked like a weird version of a 50s gumshoe, yeah

I disagree with pretty much everything else

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    she is joining le army

Did she tell you what MOS?

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Marvel TV, ranked

Please note that because all Marvel shows have season quality inconsistency ("gets good after this big event happens") ("turns to shit after this other villain shows up"), they're rated as whole series, which is hilariously unfair because they have wildly different series lengths total.

TOO BAD IT'S MY LIST AND LISTS ARE ARBITRARY

1. Luke Cage
    2. Jessica Jones
    3. Legion
    4. Daredevil
    5. Agent Carter
    6. Agents of SHIELD
    7. Iron Fist, which admittedly I haven't seen but only goes at the bottom of the list because I don't like the character very much and also by default the thing I haven't seen floats to the bottom.

Please note that I include Legion because it is a Marvel series (and has the Marvel branding and logo on it) even if it's not part of the "MCU" and is being produced by Fox and not a Disney-owned studio.

Honestly you're kidding yourself if you think the Netflix shows, the ABC shows, and the movies aren't three different MCUs that only barely touch each other anyway

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I would rather watch The Room again instead of Luke Cage.

They also made Cage yet another mopey sad hero having a rough time. Awful. Cage and Iron Fist shouldn't be mopey whiners agonizing over their vague dilemmas, they should be having a great time with their awesome super powers!

NSDFRand wrote: »
    she is joining le army

she is going human resources? 42b i think

and she wants to go into crypto linguistics eventually

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Heading back from my popular friend's party. The bus stop is a hill below so I'm listening to the party as I wait.

It is strange knowing someone who has hundreds of friends and who cherishes them all.

she is joining le army

Admin is cool. Though it seems like everyone else's admin is cool and your admin always loses everything you give them.

Crypto is also cool. Did she say why she didn't try to get into it first? It tends to be a better idea to try and get the MOS you want when you first enlist because it can be difficult to reclass in the middle of an enlistment.

I would rather watch The Room again instead of Luke Cage.

They also made Cage yet another mopey sad hero having a rough time. Awful. Cage and Iron Fist shouldn't be mopey whiners agonizing over their vague dilemmas, they should be having a great time with their awesome super powers!

together they should be this way yes

apart they're dealing with their shit

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    she is joining le army

Admin is cool. Though it seems like everyone else's admin is cool and your admin always loses everything you give them.

Crypto is also cool. Did she say why she didn't try to get into it first? It tends to be a better idea to try and get the MOS you want when you first enlist because it can be difficult to reclass in the middle of an enlistment.

she didn't. i don't know anything about the american military but when i did my service in jewland it was desirous for people interested in an intelligence or comms billet to speak arabic. maybe she wants to do some language school first? i think right now she only has english

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I enjoyed the tone of Luke Cage; it felt like black showrunners were riffing on what it's like to be black Americans, which was drastically different from the tone in Cage's scenes in Jessica Jones

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    she is joining le army

All depending on what MOS you have and which one you're going to, but generally yeah if it's available you go for the job you really want first.

Also tell her to not believe a thing the recruiter tells her, if you speak to her again. Nothing.

jungleroomx on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I went into Iron Fist thinking it was going to be bad because I let someone half convince me it was going to be shit because of all the bad press

Instead it turns out it's ok

Like, it's not amazing. And it's probably the worst thing Marvel has done on netflix so far (if you set aside the ending of Luke Cage).

But it's an ok show. It feels like it's kind of somewhere in between one of the CW superhero shows and the rest of the netflix Marvel shows.

It's got problems but I'm on the last episode and it's been mostly fine?

Mostly I'm walking away wanting to make it a rule that people who complain about the quality of shows they haven't watched get tapped on the nose with a newspaper and told "no"

HappylilElf on
    she is joining le army

she didn't. i don't know anything about the american military but when i did my service in jewland it was desirous for people interested in an intelligence or comms billet to speak arabic. maybe she wants to do some language school first? i think right now she only has english

It may be a budget difference. In the US Army if you're trying to get into an MOS that requires a language you take the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery) while you're enlisting and then you get sent to DLI (Defense Language Institute) in Monterey, California. Your score on the DLAB is usually an indicator of what language groups you're likely to be put in. And then after you can (may have to) take the DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test) where you get a score 1-5 on reading/writing and speaking.

The DLAB is interesting. When I took it it consisted of a fake language with real grammar rules that you were given and you were asked to translate words and sentences based on context clues.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Luke Cage had a nice visual style, clearly had passion for its themes and the kinds of stories it was evoking, and great music.

But the actual dialogue was frequently atrocious, and once it came time to go beyond winking at its inspirations and actually do something with its story, it really didn't seem to have any ideas.

Iron Fist, on the other hand, is just entirely devoid of themes or ideas altogether, at least any that last more than a couple of scenes before they're forgotten again. It's probably a good thing it went with a white Danny Rand because the writer's room trying to handle an Asian Danny would have been a disaster. All of its Asian stuff is skimmed from a quick watching of Kung Fu movies, which might be forgivable if they had spent really any time to get the fights well done, and they didn't.

Iron Fist is in some ways better than Luke Cage, just because I started out Luke Cage and actually felt hopeful that it was going in an interesting direction, only to be let down. Whereas Iron Fist is plainly a rush job from the very first episode.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Chuck Berry and Bernie Wrightso, huh? RIP

Also god damn, I finally got to the siege of Kaer Morhen in Witcher 3.

That's about a dozen times as nerve-wracking as the suicide mission in ME3. The whole thing's just an amazing sequence. I got misty-eyed about three times through it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Level 10. That's when I realized you can pick classes and do more than increase your attributes in Grim Dawn. I enjoyed levels 1 and 2, but the game was becoming much more difficult and my damage output was not keeping up. By 9 I was kiting like crazy, and had some choice word in my head to certain people about bullet sponge bosses. Then the game told me that it was time to pick my second class, and I'm like motherfuckers you should've been more clear that I needed to pick a first one.

Anyways, I ended up playing it for 6 hours.

@surrealitycheck @Variable

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think I had 30+ points ready to put into powers, and the next mob I ran into really got worked.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    How is the town building bit of Grim Dawn? I always enjoy the idea of that but rarely the execution (because they aren't dwarf frotress))

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Iron Fist is easily better than Jessica Jones which was quite the chore.

Apothe0sis wrote: »

You are insane

completely ridiculous and wrongheaded

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm pleased that after the initial "the worst thing ever" reception Iron Fist has been upgraded to "Not great but not Luke Cage bad"

Now i just need to finish the good wife to clear some space on the viewing schedule.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'm pleased that after the initial "the worst thing ever" reception Iron Fist has been upgraded to "Not great but not Luke Cage bad"

Now i just need to finish the good wife to clear some space on the viewing schedule.

How far are you?

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    How r the face animations in Iron Fist?

PSN: Honkalot
    Honk wrote: »
    How r the face animations in Iron Fist?

Colleen's are on point

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Do you mean to tell me that you did not enjoy a feminist story

I am shocked, Apo, absolutely shocked

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.

How far are you?

The latest series on Netflix which may be the latest series. They tried to make Grace a main character and then swiftly excised her completely so that she's only vaguely mentioned and it begs a constant question of just where she is when Alicia is at home drinking and porking colleagues

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

How far are you?

The latest series on Netflix which may be the latest series. They tried to make Grace a main character and then swiftly excised her completely so that she's only vaguely mentioned and it begs a constant question of just where she is when Alicia is at home drinking and porking colleagues

All I know is the last season of the good wife is a fucking trainwreck and a total waste of time.

I need to start the sequel series now, I think that shall be tonights plan.

bloodyroarxx on
    I feel like about half the reason I'm still watching Iron Fist at this point is that Colleen Wing's actress is very, very pretty.

Her character is still written horribly but she has some charisma despite it.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    kedinik wrote: »

Do you mean to tell me that you did not enjoy a feminist story

I am shocked, Apo, absolutely shocked

Because I'm famously far more sympathetic to the plight of billionaires?

Apothe0sis on

How far are you?

All I know is the last season of the good wife is a fucking trainwreck and a total waste of time.

I need to start the sequel series now, I think that shall be tonights plan.

What is the sequel series?

This discussion has been closed.