As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]: Where backlog progress and sales collide.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So how's Grim Dawn's multiplayer? I saw it on the sale, had an urge for some co op ARPG good times, googled, saw people reccomend path of exile instead, tried path of exile, found it to be poop from a butt, and am now back to debating grim dawn. (seriously why do people play path of exile? the graphics are terrible, the mechanics seem clunky, the story is boring, and the PVE is so easy)

because it's an incredibly well done game that's really fun to play

So, serious question..how much time do you have to dump into it before it gets fun to play? The ~10 hours or so I gave it had it as definitely the most boring ARPG i've ever played. Not super interested if i need to dump in 50 hours to hit end game or whatever before it picks up.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    This trend of tons of exposition in games is one of my least favorite things. I'm enjoying Mad Max for instance but the first half hour of gameplay has more sitting around and bullshitting than the entirety of Fury Road.

Oh you would love the assassin's creed games :lol:

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    This trend of tons of exposition in games is one of my least favorite things. I'm enjoying Mad Max for instance but the first half hour of gameplay has more sitting around and bullshitting than the entirety of Fury Road.

Requiescat in pace

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

This just further cements my assertion that Drake's tastes and my tastes could nearly be drawn as a venn diagram where the outside edges meet but never cross. :lol:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Cut scenes without pause buttons make me sad.

The first time it makes me sad. Every subsequent time it makes me furious.

Oh you just lost to this boss? Prepare to watch his monologue again.

Look at all that juice!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I don't mind meeting Basil Exposition as long as the exposition itself is at least relevant. Though I recognise that not everything needs much, if any.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Oh, and you guys were a huge part of our charity event. U.S. Taekwondo Center raised about $35,000 for Children's Hospital Colorado, and the denizens of this fine thread were responsible for about $500. Your generosity warms my cold, black heart.

And in case you're curious, my kids and I broke 5 boards each. And the holder in my line decided that since we were using demo boards my first break should be 2 boards held together. Knife-hand neck attack took care of them so if you're coming after me, maybe don't make your armor out of thin pieces of wood! And then we were able to stick around to see our demonstration teams. It was a great day for a great cause, and you guys all made it even better! :D

6me3othfd951.png

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So how's Grim Dawn's multiplayer? I saw it on the sale, had an urge for some co op ARPG good times, googled, saw people reccomend path of exile instead, tried path of exile, found it to be poop from a butt, and am now back to debating grim dawn. (seriously why do people play path of exile? the graphics are terrible, the mechanics seem clunky, the story is boring, and the PVE is so easy)

because it's an incredibly well done game that's really fun to play

So, serious question..how much time do you have to dump into it before it gets fun to play? The ~10 hours or so I gave it had it as definitely the most boring ARPG i've ever played. Not super interested if i need to dump in 50 hours to hit end game or whatever before it picks up.

"fun to play" is 100% subjective. I liked it from the start. if you don't you just don't. you're not doing something wrong if you don't like a well made game.

Grim Dawn is super cool and complex as hell but I've never played multi so can't help with that sorry

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    this is what I get for innocently hanging out in Chat tonight....
    J38HD5r.png
    48JEEoL.png
    Much thanks @Pixelated Pixie , even though clearly I am not Zabian, who is a totally different person! Confusion! Shenanigans! <3<3<3<3<3

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm seeing these andromeda faces and I'm thinking of something between carrier command:gaea mission and some of those poser comics.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    A moose once bit my sister.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

That moose needs to someone to tell it not to miss leg day. Or back leg day, or something.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Lego Batman 2 is done. That leaves...... 117 games to go........damn.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Now if only you could have a room for your moose.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

But can you drift them, like you could the boar in the first Nier?

I haven't got to the moose yet, but my favourite parts of Nier Automata so far are a) the main character will literally push the camera away if it swings too low below her skirt, and b) the 'maintenance' sequence that seems to just be an amusing way of incorporating adjusting the system settings into the game, until
    it asks you to activate your self-destruct permissions.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

I haven't got to the moose yet, but my favourite parts of Nier Automata so far are a) the main character will literally push the camera away if it swings too low below her skirt, and b) the 'maintenance' sequence that seems to just be an amusing way of incorporating adjusting the system settings into the game, until
    it asks you to activate your self-destruct permissions.
    You can drift the boar and possibly the moose...But I have no idea how.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Never played any other Nier, no idea. I got a boar, too, but didn't try drifting it. I actually haven't found a reason to bother riding animals yet except for the novelty.
    a) the main character will literally push the camera away if it swings too low below her skirt,

There's an achievement for making her do that 10 times. Just sayin'...

I pretty much can't stop playing this. Holy crap, it's so fun. And you can go sand-surfing. GOTYAY?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Nier and breath of the wild make me ache for an extra $1000

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Played Mad Max for almost the whole day. I'm really enjoying it, although I could see it getting old if I continue to play it as I did today. I basically went for almost everything I could on the map in the first area. I also fully upgraded Jeet's Stronghold, including giving them a bunch of scrap. Turns out you don't get anything for that except for an achievement when you do that for all the strongholds, so I think I'll not be doing that again until I've upgraded Max's stuff and his Magnum Opus.

Hand-to-hand combat's taken me a little while to get used to since it's vaguely similar to the Batman Arkham games, but not quite as smooth. There are some nicely visceral beatdowns on enemies when you pin them against the wall or stomp them on the ground, though.

Car combat seems fun. I've been making good use of the harpoon - mostly ripping drivers out of their seats.

The game runs really well and looks quite nice. While the game makes references to Mad Max: Fury Road, it feels a little shoehorned in, but I'm fine with it.

Hopefully the game can keep my attention the whole way through!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Never played any other Nier, no idea. I got a boar, too, but didn't try drifting it. I actually haven't found a reason to bother riding animals yet except for the novelty.
    a) the main character will literally push the camera away if it swings too low below her skirt,

There's an achievement for making her do that 10 times. Just sayin'...

I pretty much can't stop playing this. Holy crap, it's so fun. And you can go sand-surfing. GOTYAY?
    Riding the animals are faster than walking normally.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Deer/Boar riding in Zelda is great. I can only imagine it's just as good in Nier.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Dammit people, please stop reminding me that Nier looks pretty and fun and interesting.

At least until my tax return comes in.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Automata is the first Yoko Taro game I've played, whose previous titles are generally well-regarded for their narratives but were dinged for their less-than-stellar gameplay, which is less of an issue when you have Platinum doing the stabby stabby systems. It's enough of a blast for me to overlook the handful of dodgy PC port issues and questionable performance (stuff that is hopefully patched sooner than later).

Also I need the soundtrack to the game like yesterday.

edit: omg ahaha I just got Ending K out of nowhere this game is the best

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks @Scratchy for Salt and Sanctuary! Been wanting to play it for a while, now I get to! Apparently it'll make me salty, so I've got that to look forward to. Been wanting to get a brine going.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Played Mad Max for almost the whole day. I'm really enjoying it, although I could see it getting old if I continue to play it as I did today. I basically went for almost everything I could on the map in the first area. I also fully upgraded Jeet's Stronghold, including giving them a bunch of scrap. Turns out you don't get anything for that except for an achievement when you do that for all the strongholds, so I think I'll not be doing that again until I've upgraded Max's stuff and his Magnum Opus.

Hand-to-hand combat's taken me a little while to get used to since it's vaguely similar to the Batman Arkham games, but not quite as smooth. There are some nicely visceral beatdowns on enemies when you pin them against the wall or stomp them on the ground, though.

Car combat seems fun. I've been making good use of the harpoon - mostly ripping drivers out of their seats.

The game runs really well and looks quite nice. While the game makes references to Mad Max: Fury Road, it feels a little shoehorned in, but I'm fine with it.

Hopefully the game can keep my attention the whole way through!

Combat gets better as you get some upgrades that let you branch out from just punching dudes. It's definitely not as fluid as Arkham, Mordor, or even Sleeping Dogs (which doesn't let you evade) but unlike the first two but much like the third firing multiple shotgun shells into what enemies thought was a melee fight smooths out many things. Likewise being able to stab people who grab you without worrying about using up all your shivs is also nice.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I survived my first two weeks at new QA job without getting fired or breaking anything, so I guess that's good.

When I have spare time, im continuing my Styx playthrough, currently at sixth mission. I will be honest guys: I don't think its a good game, but I want to finish it anyway if Im already so far. A lot of elements are too "gamey" (why are there flying ghost skulls enemies that only target me, but ignore other characters? why i can pick up a throwing knife from a body killed by someone else, but when I use it on some other enemy I can't take it back after kill?), reusing locations is weak as hell, and voice acting is the worst I have ever encountered in video games (HE HE HELLO THERE :-D makes me lose my goddamn mind after hearing it for 1000th time), but at least I can enjoy agility of main character and location designs.

I will make my final verdict after finishing entire game, but right now I definitely enjoy it less than Dishonored, or Deus Ex HR, or other stealth games.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I'd definitely recommend not trying to hoover up every icon on the map in Mad Max - Just do what seems interesting or you need for the upgrades you want. Clearing out every map section as you go will burn you out before the end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Mad Max is a good half of a game. The last half is just kind of dull. Doesn't feel like they did anything with upgrading the strongholds or the enemies.

If the game maintained that early "barely scraping by, needing water and gas" sort of feel, it might have been great. But you quickly become OP as shit and none of the resources the game makes you manage end up mattering.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Mad Max is a good half of a game. The last half is just kind of dull. Doesn't feel like they did anything with upgrading the strongholds or the enemies.

If the game maintained that early "barely scraping by, needing water and gas" sort of feel, it might have been great. But you quickly become OP as shit and none of the resources the game makes you manage end up mattering.

Yeah, I've never found myself wanting for water or gas so far. I've had a backup gas can in my trunk since before I even got to the first stronghold and not once have I needed to use it.

edit: That being said, this game was a hell of a bargain at $5.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Dawn of war 2: chaos rising has a corruption mechanic where actions you take on the battlefield as well as items you use take you further from the emperor's light.

This has consequences in the late game narrative and ties into yesterday's discussion in this thread.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Yeah, I've never found myself wanting for water or gas so far. I've had a backup gas can in my trunk since before I even got to the first stronghold and not once have I needed to use it.

You'll want to keep a gas can with you for the balloons that need fuel but don't give you a gas can. I think there was maybe 2 of those.

You only need 1 upgraded stronghold since you can fast travel to it at any time to refill everything. There are some upgrades tied to reducing the threat level in each person's whole territory to 0. I did Jeet's and Deep Friah (his is really easy), but didn't finish the other 2. I probably would have if it weren't for the minefields.

• Options
    I quite like the minefield clearing mechanic in Mad Max - And there weren't too many of them, unlike some other stuff. Just wish the dogs range for initial detection was a bit larger.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    WE HAVE WINNARZ!!!1!
    Grats @Drascin ! (sent via e-mail)
    signature.png
    Grats @Iolo !
    signature.png
    Feel free to join me and the other rat bashers anytime Iolo, will help you with missions and what not.

Thanks to all who entered!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

The enemy vehicles escalate a bit but the on foot enemies don't really change up tactics much. Granted after seeing how annoying to read some of the later Arkham Knight fights became with some enemy types that would scurry off screen while dudes inexplicably as tall as Bane from AA took up a third of the screen, I'm fine with Mad Max having kept things simpler for the mooks. It's the minibosses that could have used more variety though there was some attempt at that via altering the fighting environments a little.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Woo rat killing time! Wait, or am I the rat? Rats are killing time(!)(?)

In any case...

jYALfEH.png

Thanks, @Zavian for Vermintide! @Elvenshae put out the call the other week for rat related FNG, but I didn't have the game to be able to jump on board. Now I do!

Thanks again. It is much appreciated! <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options

You'll want to keep a gas can with you for the balloons that need fuel but don't give you a gas can. I think there was maybe 2 of those.

You only need 1 upgraded stronghold since you can fast travel to it at any time to refill everything. There are some upgrades tied to reducing the threat level in each person's whole territory to 0. I did Jeet's and Deep Friah (his is really easy), but didn't finish the other 2. I probably would have if it weren't for the minefields.

I actually finished up Jeet's areas this morning because I really wanted the fully upgraded harpoon.

I'm having fun taking down the enemy camps. I can see myself doing all of those.

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    One last time. This ends tomorrow around noon, central time. On my not-birthday.
    Fonjo wrote: »
    Reposting these for visibility.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Zavian wrote: »
    WE HAVE WINNARZ!!!1!
    Grats @Drascin ! (sent via e-mail)
    signature.png

Nice! I have half an hour free, let's give it a try right now then! Thanks @Zavian !

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    SPROGGIWOOD SO SPROGGIGOOD

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
This discussion has been closed.