As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Scanning easily the creatures I randomly found as I hunted down the resources I required was a small source of free money. Not a lot, but free money was free money, and every clipped credit was precious if I wanted to buy a bigger ship to harvest more resources. But now I have a Pearl and NipNip farm, and I don't need that pocket change anymore.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Meanwhile I spent two hours this morning mining two gold nuggets. Got me a sweet rifle with loads of slots, and a million in the bank. Then I looked at the cost of the ship next to me, and wept bitter tears

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Just want to share the view from the top tower of my base.

Spoiler for large:
    xwt47fljkl1s.jpg

If you look closely the in bottom left hex, you can see one of my rabid ewoks.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    edited March 2017
    I picked up a crashed B-class ship with 25 mostly broken slots yesterday

I spent the next half hour looking at every ship that landed, trying to find the sweet spot between "more than 18 slots" and "less than one million credits in part exchange"

I think I might be here a while

Rhesus Positive on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Permadeath Run #3: currently on a hostile world of tropical islands. Started out on a beautiful but extremely cold snow planet, with night lows down under -70C. It had no zinc. I clocked up 5 foot-travel milestones before I found enough to fix my ship - darting from cave to cave at first, eventually summiting and descending a great mountain and cutting back around it, crafting hazard shields from the copious platinum and iron. A looming planet and its two moons teased me during the long nights. It turns out all three were lifeless...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    I just got the first fetch quest from my scientist to learn a new blueprint. All I had to do was enter an abandoned building about five minutes away

Turns out that when you build your base on the coast for the bracing air and sea views, five minutes away involves a lot of swimming, including two minutes vertically with no fuel in my scuba gear

I almost drowned just to learn how to make batteries

That's why if I'm going anywhere on my planet, even just five minutes, I'm taking my space ship.

Wait, can space ships go underwater?

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Wait, can space ships go underwater?

Nope. It's more along the lines of taking the ship to the nearest spit of land, then swimming as little as possible.

Eventually crafting the hovercraft will probably help, I assume?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    The hovership does help. While it can't go underwater unless it's being forced down by a cave or something, you can drive it to right on top of the point of interest and swim down from there.

That is, unless it's a temple guarded by a giant aggressive killer whale like creature like the one on my planet I've lovingly named a 'From Beneath You It Devours.'

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    oh i\ want pictures of that! In other news, fighting the urge to buy the game on PSN since \i already own the disc version. But it's on sale!

I'll see if I can find one in the wild. Luckily they are solitary and rather rare. Otherwise I'll upload a shot from my discovery menu.

• Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    The hovership does help. While it can't go underwater unless it's being forced down by a cave or something, you can drive it to right on top of the point of interest and swim down from there.

That is, unless it's a temple guarded by a giant aggressive killer whale like creature like the one on my planet I've lovingly named a 'From Beneath You It Devours.'

Wait, is this a thing? A temple guarded by some divine beast of myth!?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577

Wait, is this a thing? A temple guarded by some divine beast of myth!?

No, I just have killer-whale-sharks in my oceans.

A From Beneath You It Devours in its natural habitat:
    9rc1pzl94wdl.jpg

As you can see, it's about the same size as the Nomad. Getting a closer picture would have required me to actually get in the water with it, which NO THANK YOU.

I will rise above this cold quadrant yet...
    a7rHpcH.jpg
    s1o6jDl.jpg
    d1Q7Vmc.jpg
    61sqom4.jpg

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    Oh wow. There's that question answered:

tLWjmen.png

I was sure I hit 200 before the Foundation update - maybe not, or maybe it just didn't register while I was offline. In any case, it appears that I have gotten some value out of this game

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bought the game to fill a need Rebel Galaxy left behind for when I'm out at sea and went straight to Permadeath because I'm crazy. First planet was -71C and I died from exposure in minutes. 10/10 perfect.

EDIT: Second spawn dumped me in the middle of a lethal radiation field. YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY STUBBORNESS, NO MAN'S SKY

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I broke before the game did. Not knowing wtf I'm doing in the slightest is impeding progress in Permadeath so I've fucked off to Normal for a bit so I can figure out what the hell I'm doing and how to do it before wandering back into S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: No Man's Zone.

That said, I have to say there is something rather incredible feeling when you first launch your ship, take off, head to a new world, and see all sorts of new and weird shit. I've never really been a "scenery" person but there's a real sense of wonder when you land on a new planet to check out what's there while you harvest space fuel for your stuff. I think I've gotten slightly more appreciative of that sort of thing in my old age.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    In my search for albumen pearls I managed to wander into a cave complex that apparently had no way out. I spent a while down there collecting pearls, because the Sentinels couldn't find me, but I managed to get completely lost in a maze of twisty passages, all alike. I tried the left hand rule of mazes, but kept on going in circles around what I think was the same pillar. I tried destroying all antrium I came across so that I would know if I had been down that path before, but at some point I worried that it was regenerating so gave up on that tactic.

I ended up transferring all I could to my ship and dying in the bowels of the earth with an inventory full of gold and pearls. Probably a metaphor in there somewhere.

I figured that I could go back, make a beeline for my corpse using the waypoint, and then just reverse out, but now I can't even find the fissure I entered in the first place. It's like the Sentinels teamed up with the planet to destroy me for my avarice.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    In my search for albumen pearls I managed to wander into a cave complex that apparently had no way out. I spent a while down there collecting pearls, because the Sentinels couldn't find me, but I managed to get completely lost in a maze of twisty passages, all alike. I tried the left hand rule of mazes, but kept on going in circles around what I think was the same pillar. I tried destroying all antrium I came across so that I would know if I had been down that path before, but at some point I worried that it was regenerating so gave up on that tactic.

I ended up transferring all I could to my ship and dying in the bowels of the earth with an inventory full of gold and pearls. Probably a metaphor in there somewhere.

I figured that I could go back, make a beeline for my corpse using the waypoint, and then just reverse out, but now I can't even find the fissure I entered in the first place. It's like the Sentinels teamed up with the planet to destroy me for my avarice.

This is the reason to always keep a 'nade launcher equipped, and something to recharge it. When you can't find your way back out, you fire straight up and make stepping ledges upward and outward.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    I have yet to find that technology. I've seen lots of upgrades for it, though.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

This game is secretly the most terrifying game for claustrophobia. I had the same thing happen to me (sans grenade launcher as well), and it reminded me a lot of the subterranean parts of At The Mountains of Madness. I spent a bit of time trying to escape before realizing that I was hopefully loss in an abyss of caverns, and it might have taken me actual years to find my way out if not for the quick release of death.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Is there any reason to keep the crafting NPCs in your base after you've done their questlines?

Thinking about redesigning my base, and needing a full room for each one that doesn't serve much purpose otherwise is limiting.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I discovered that each box of the square room counts as a room, so you can cram 4 NPCs into a 2x2 room.

I discovered that each box of the square room counts as a room, so you can cram 4 NPCs into a 2x2 room.

The square prefab, or making a 2x2 out of cubes?

Out of cubes. Each cube is it's own room, even if they connect to form one large room.

edited April 2017

Out of cubes. Each cube is it's own room, even if they connect to form one large room.

Well, awesome. I'll have to mess with that later.

I ended up destroying all of my mordite plants Sunday because I couldn't make myself stop harvesting them, and making Lubricant is god awful (at least on PS4). I guess they got nerfed anyway, but I had a ton. I currently have a small room of pearl plants, and one of the regular aliens in my systems space station has them with a star. Not ideal, because you can't sell from your ship to them, but hey, money. I have materials for a lot more, I am just holding off planting till I get a better designed base.

Which I'm holding off until I find a planet I actually like. My current base is on the planet I happened to be on when the Foundation patch went live, and I just sort of kept it. It is ugly and hot though. I'd love to find a nice pretty lush planet, but I've had zero luck in that regard in exploring...and even then, lush planets seem to have shitty resources I've found.

The Dude With Herpes on

Is there an upper limit to backpack slots? I keep saving money for a new ship only to find a run of drop pods and blow all my cash on delicious slots.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is there an upper limit to backpack slots? I keep saving money for a new ship only to find a run of drop pods and blow all my cash on delicious slots.

There is a limit, but I can't remember what it was... Or at least, there used to be a limit. Not sure if any of the updates/patches changed that.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Used to be 24 for the backpack, I think.

Big Classy wrote: »
    Used to be 24 for the backpack, I think.

I don't recall it ever being that low; I maxed out my backpack asap before I even knew what was what in the game back at launch. I'm fairly sure it was 48 from the get go, a quick google shows some gamefaqs questions being answered around launch confirming that. I remember being really confused as to why it was so hard to get a bigger ship when it was so easy to get a huge backpack.

Exosuit I mean, if that's what we're referring to.

Anyway, whoever thought the whole "broken slot" thing was a good idea was a moron. I can't imagine a situation where I'm going to give up my full 24 slot multitool, even it being a C class with no bonuses, for a 24 slot that has half the slots broken (I have yet to see anything remotely close to max slots unbroken, from any source, vendor, NPC trade, ruins reward, etc), and pay not only to redo all of my modules but pay to fix the slots to get a % buff on stats that with my modules won't make much difference anyway, as no enemy in the game stands up to my maxed out mining beam for more than a couple seconds.

I'm kind of feeling the same way with ships. I had a 38 slotter prior to the update that classified them, which turned into a fighter I guess. Maybe if I really get my pearl farm off the ground, and find another system/vendor with it starred (I had one in my system pre patch, but it no longer is there, I've waited hours) I'll have so much money I can happily just buy a big hauler maxed out from an NPC; but crashed ships are now utterly worthless with how much it costs to fix them. I don't even look for them anymore. I regret not hunkering down and farming a 48 slot ship, before we knew these things would change.

I don't mind so much the cap on inventory for different classes of ship (I guess fighters cap at 38 or something?), it would make haulers feel kind of pointless otherwise. Its just that right now I have my cannon maxed on my ship, my hyperdrive maxed, and my shields maxed. I have yet to run into an enemy I can't kill in a second. While it feels good to not be concerned about ambushes in space anymore, it also kind of feels like...why bother hunting hard for a bigger ship? Even if I could find a really nice S class fighter (and even then, the % buffs seem to not be based on class at all; I've seen B classes with +45% shields and S classes, both haulers, with +10% ), it wouldn't have any larger inventory, and I literally couldn't kill anything faster if I wanted to. I guess if it looked super cool, and my slot layout is currently really shitty...but yeah.

I suppose it was inevitable, to play enough to have everything and question the value of incremental or cosmetic upgrades. I guess if I really want to feel the benefit of the patches outside of base building, I should do Survival more where I'm much earlier in progression. Or maybe even a permadeath run.

As it is, I finally finished the path of atlas last night, and I know what happens at the center of the galaxy so I'm in zero rush to do that;I spend all my time jumping to systems to find a planet I really like for a new base, ideally with local planets that have certain resources I will need regularly (the underwater plant you need for all the special plants, mainly). It is kind of a bummer that it seems the more lush and beautiful a planet is, the less variety of resources it has.

I suppose I could hunt for the perfect freighter too, but I need a shitton more cash for that...and they're not even that convenient to begin with. I actually found the coolest freighter I have seen a couple days ago but it was 64mil or so for a 36 slot inventory and nope.

I know a lot of this is "why isn't there more to do in this game that I've put a ton of time into and gotten lots of fun out of, more more more!" griping, so sorry. :lol:

I hope the next major patch focuses on UI stuff, because it is currently my biggest complaint about actually playing the game. Crafting anything that needs a lot of items, even not taking into account mass making things for money, is a chore in every regard, made unnecessarily worse with how dumb the UI is. I mean, it already is obnoxious enough to have to click the space to make something, move over to the arrow for the next page, then back to the item to make every time AND since the "camera" on the UI moves, the location of the buttons you need to move to is constantly shifting so you can't even do it via muscle memory. Bleh. They can do better.

Ah yeah i wrote 48 originally but then second guessed myself thinking the ship was the one that has 48. Cheers for the correction.

I'm up to 45 exosuit slots now

I'm also at the point in the base building missions where I'm feeding stuff to animals then running after them until they poop

Was this not what man dreamt of when he first looked up at the stars?

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    People will always poop, no matter where or when we go, at least in my life-span.

Edit: Which raises questions about how I've survived in this cave system for so long without going back, but, eh, video games. :P

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    People will always poop, no matter where or when we go, at least in my life-span.

Edit: Which raises questions about how I've survived in this cave system for so long without going back, but, eh, video games. :P

Daaaamn, now I want them to make some planets with home bases inside caves. That would be awesome!

Zilla360 wrote: »

Based on the fact that it doesn't run out of power, my hypothesis is that the jet pack is poop-powered

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Ugh, I'm still feeling pretty annoyed with the game, with the shininess long since worn off.

I'm trying to make it to the Reddit galactic hub as a goal, and of course I'm getting my warp drives broken. I swear it seems like it's way harder to find Emeril and Aluminum than it was when I started playing last fall. It's hard enough as it is finding non-Heridium resource pillars, and they always appear to be the more common of the two listed green elements. Anyone have any good suggestions? It feels so infuriatingly random.

I'd like to be able to use the resource finder on my exocraft, but that too drives me mad, as the finder will inevitably just point me to the last/first resource spot that I already went to. Why it doesn't rule that spot out when you've been to it and/or mined a large amount of it is beyond me.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited April 2017
    Septus wrote: »
    Ugh, I'm still feeling pretty annoyed with the game, with the shininess long since worn off.

I'm trying to make it to the Reddit galactic hub as a goal, and of course I'm getting my warp drives broken. I swear it seems like it's way harder to find Emeril and Aluminum than it was when I started playing last fall. It's hard enough as it is finding non-Heridium resource pillars, and they always appear to be the more common of the two listed green elements. Anyone have any good suggestions? It feels so infuriatingly random.

I'd like to be able to use the resource finder on my exocraft, but that too drives me mad, as the finder will inevitably just point me to the last/first resource spot that I already went to. Why it doesn't rule that spot out when you've been to it and/or mined a large amount of it is beyond me.

I have aluminum still show up as crystals sometimes, though I'm not totally sure if that's intentional?

Regardless, for large terrain deposits, both are easier found in "pits" now than how Heridium and Nickel (and others) are.

If a planet is supposed to have either, fly around looking for circle holes that don't match the other terrain. They're usually lined with one or the other. Aluminum is blue, Emeril is green.

That is how I've found them recently, once I realized what I was actually looking for I felt dumb because they were actually all over the place, I was just looking for protruding deposits of minerals instead of holes to mine.

Also, generally, the "-iums" that are only needed for specific quests, in specific colored star systems are holes now too.

Nickel is always an 'arch', Heridium is usually tall and narrow-ish, gold and copper are more round and moundy, just different colors.

EDIT: I've got to run out or I'd try to figure out how to get screenshots from my PS4 to here, but yeah, just holes lined with an element color, usually nothing else inside (i.e. not caves, or cave like formations with cave fauna)

The Dude With Herpes on

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Great, thanks. I'll give that a try.

Although as far as nickel goes, I'll say it's been a long time since I even saw the arches formations.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Septus wrote: »
    Great, thanks. I'll give that a try.

Although as far as nickel goes, I'll say it's been a long time since I even saw the arches formations.

I'd love to not see it. Every fucking planet.

Though, I've been in a rut the last dozen or more systems having nearly identical sets of planets, none lush, all ugly as shit with nickel arches and heridium spires.

I've been trying to find a new planet to start a new base on because I really don't like my current base planet, and my daughter wants to help me design it. I just can't find anything that isn't shit. I would almost even take a hostile sentinel planet, if it was nice enough. I can shoot those fuckers down like nothing.