As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Personally, I hope neither Venom or one of the Goblins shows up for a future Spidey movie. They should continue to focus on the "super bank robber" class of Spidey villains. Those guys have been under-served by previous movies. A bunch of them are very fun characters, they lead in very nicely to a Sinister Six plotline, and it helps distinguish things from the Rami or Webb films.

Maybe have Ock show up one day as the Master Planner/secret leader of the Sinister Six, but I'd be fine if they just stuck to super-mooks. Maybe a few super gangsters like Mr. Negative or Hammerhead using those guys as muscle.

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Personally, I hope neither Venom or one of the Goblins shows up for a future Spidey movie. They should continue to focus on the "super bank robber" class of Spidey villains. Those guys have been under-served by previous movies. A bunch of them are very fun characters, they lead in very nicely to a Sinister Six plotline, and it helps distinguish things from the Rami or Webb films.

Maybe have Ock show up one day as the Master Planner/secret leader of the Sinister Six, but I'd be fine if they just stuck to super-mooks. Maybe a few super gangsters like Mr. Negative or Hammerhead using those guys as muscle.

You could have Kraven hunting down superhumans and hears about Spidey

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Kraven would be a good one to bring in, it's hard because it really needs a good setup for future films but they've fairly heavily abused several of the major villains at this point, but Kraven might make a good second film villain.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I'm personally lukewarm on Kraven, but seriously jonesing for Mysterio.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Bryan Cranston as Mysterio.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

But then you don't see his face for a lot of time and seeing his face is like half the fun.

But a well made Sinister Six film? Take all my monies.

TexiKen wrote: »

But then you don't see his face for a lot of time and seeing his face is like half the fun.

But a well made Sinister Six film? Take all my monies.

My personal hope?

First movie: super-tech becomes accessible to street crime, Spidey has to deal

Second movie: this inevitably leads to super-criminal turf wars, a gang war breaks out, Spidey has to stop it

Third movie: super-mooks who survive the gang war agree to put aside their differences and team up to defeat their common enemy, forming the Sinister Six

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    J jonah Jameson was always spideys most strident opponent. But scheduling and his own bad luck was always his arch nemesis

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    J jonah Jameson was always spideys most strident opponent. But scheduling and his own bad luck was always his arch nemesis

Yeah, a great many of Spidey's villains are just obstacles who exist to make life more difficult for him, exacerbating the real threat of his personal problems and responsibilities. The super-mook contingent of his rogues gallery really personifies this. They're punch-clock villains, there to make a buck, and oh goddamnit the wallcrawler just showed up. From Spidey's perspective, they're just pains in the neck who randomly pop up to rob a bank, usually when he's in the middle of trying to get Aunt May's medications or study for finals.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Going back to Agent Venom, the reason it's a great storyline is that they pull off a fun house mirror version of Peter Parker super well. What if instead of a good father figure telling Peter about responsibility, he was ALREADY a pretty responsible guy (because of Army service). But the Dad influence was a TERRIBLE one, an abusive bad dad and the lasting trauma from that gives the Symbiote something to work with. So instead of a selfish guy driven to do good by guilt, we have an honorable guy threatening to give into temptation to let the Venom suit do its thing because of demons from the past.

Also the whole "time limit to use Venom before it really starts messing with your head" vs "is no longer paralyzed while wearing the Venom suit" aspects add a ton of pressure points for each storyline. Finally, it changes up the type chart for what's dangerous. Spider-Man is always at some threat from guns, knives, a really strong guy, etc. Venom basically doesn't have any of those weaknesses, but gains weakness to tech weapons like sonic guns and flame weapons. Not that a flamethrower wouldn't kill Spidey, but that's not gonna be anyone's first move against him.

I think it's very doable as a movie, or even better a show to build a high pressure situation around Flash, but Sony seems too stupid to capitalize on this. They just want to launch right to $500 million weekend gross without doing any of the work first.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Watching episode 1.

It's awful.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    furbat wrote: »
    Watching episode 1.

It's awful.

If you're talking Iron Fist I think you're looking for this thread http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/210432/irrelevant-iron-fist

@Dark Raven X might want to change the thread title since IF has its own place.

Carpy on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Although at this point that thread feels like this:

https://youtu.be/mAUY1J8KizU

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    That's cause the last page has been the same like 3 people complaining.

Honestly, the more I watch the show the less about half the complaints make sense.

Iron Fist is probably the least good of the MCU Netflix shows, but it's not by much.

shryke on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Honestly, the more I watch the show the less about half the complaints make sense.

Iron Fist is probably the least good of the MCU Netflix shows, but it's not by much.

Have you seen the SE+ thread? Makes that look like a birthday party.

Who cares? The reviews were equally stupid before it came out too.

I mean, if you thought that was rough you haven't seen anything. This isn't about the reviews, this is the audience reaction.

edited March 2017

I mean, if you thought that was rough you haven't seen anything. This isn't about the reviews, this is the audience reaction.

No, look at this thread. This is about the audiences pre-reaction.

There's no shortage of people who watched the show and liked it.

shryke on

No, look at this thread. This is about the audiences pre-reaction.

Yeah, and they weren't off the mark. YMMV.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    ive seen 3 episodes and been more entertained than the 7 of Luke Cage I watched. Guess I'm another of the minority? Oh my fiancé said the same and she's not the target audience at all.

-Loki- on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

The last page alone I count 14 different posters all with very similar criticisms, not all having the same discussion (there's even a small side discussion about whether or not "Bushido Code" is indicative of something larger, and the guy who is on the opposing side for that doesn't like the show anymore than everyone else - he just thinks it's nitpicking). And 2 who are lukewarm at best. And then you bitching about the thread title. =P

So yeah, "same like 3 people" sure. Or it's just that there are a lot of different people who are seeing very similar things. I myself have only actively participated in the last 3 pages or so, after I finished watching everything. Skimming 5+ pages before that has an entirely different group of people who are pointing out very similar issues in real-time (i.e., as they are watching each episode).

-Loki- wrote: »
    ive seen 3 episodes and been more entertained than the 7 of Luke Cage I watched. Guess I'm another of the minority? Oh my fiancé said the same and she's not the target audience at all.

Eh, not everyone is going to agree. I'm glad someone liked it, I wish I did as much as you guys.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I like Ironfist a good bit so far, 6 episodes in. Something clicks about it. I think the head dude does a good job.

I take it back

Doot-doot doo doo

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Unless Iron Fist somehow goes to shit in the last 3 episodes I really don't know what people were complaining about. It's way better than Luke Cage imho, which just
    killed its best villain halfway through
    and then had no idea what to do with itself. Not as good as JJ or DD season 1, but leagues above your regularly scheduled TV programming.

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'm 5 in and agree, but then a lot of people were buying the review for whatever reason and/or have a problem with the entire setup before they even see it and everyone likes different things.

But gimme more Iron Fist if this keeps up, Marvel!

Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'm 5 in and agree, but then a lot of people were buying the review for whatever reason and/or have a problem with the entire setup before they even see it and everyone likes different things.

But gimme more Iron Fist if this keeps up, Marvel!

Spoilers
    He's in Defenders.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Spoilers for up to what episode, @Harry Dresden ?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Spoilers for up to what episode, Harry Dresden?

That isn't really a spoiler if you've got one iota of comic book knowledge and/or casting gossip.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Or have looked at a magazine cover in the last few months.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

The last page alone I count 14 different posters all with very similar criticisms, not all having the same discussion (there's even a small side discussion about whether or not "Bushido Code" is indicative of something larger, and the guy who is on the opposing side for that doesn't like the show anymore than everyone else - he just thinks it's nitpicking). And 2 who are lukewarm at best. And then you bitching about the thread title. =P

So yeah, "same like 3 people" sure. Or it's just that there are a lot of different people who are seeing very similar things. I myself have only actively participated in the last 3 pages or so, after I finished watching everything. Skimming 5+ pages before that has an entirely different group of people who are pointing out very similar issues in real-time (i.e., as they are watching each episode).

Could have sworn I read in one of your posts you claimed you wouldn't pile on... oh, here it is.
    Finally finished this. Marvel really dropped the ball on this series. I'm not going to pile on given I just did some quick skimming and it looks like nearly every single review touches upon the same issues I had with it. This show just failed on several fundamental levels. And what's worse is that you could see the seeds of some really great stuff there, but they fucked up the execution and the landing so much that it just adds to the frustration.

If the same person who made this show is also making the Defenders, I have serious qualms about how that team-up is going to turn out. Joss Whedon can tell you how much harder it is to juggle so many competing characters and storylines. I have no faith that someone who fucked up such a basic story would be able to do a remotely competent job on something about 7 times more difficult.

Iquisitor, you remain a funny guy.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I am probably going to love Iron Fist and it's because I have literally no taste or discernment. Let me see if I can give y'all some context with which to evaluate my opinions:

Iron Man: Loved it
    Thor: Loved it
    Cap 1: Loved it
    Avengers: Loved it
    Cap 2: Loved it
    Iron man 2: Loved it
    Iron man 3: Loved it
    GotG: Loved it
    Avengers 2: Loved it
    Civil war: Loved it
    ant man: Loved it
    AoS: Loved it from the premier
    DD s1: Loved it
    Luke Cage: Loved it

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I am probably going to love Iron Fist and it's because I have literally no taste or discernment. Let me see if I can give y'all some context with which to evaluate my opinions:

I think Avengers 2 might be the one I loved the least, but yeah this checks out.

Jessica Jones and DD s2: loved it also.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

I still haven't seen past episode like 10 in LC.

I lost all interest when you know who showed up.

It stopped being about what it was about and became about something else.

That being said, I fucking love Colter as Cage, I am just of the opinion that he needs a friend to bounce off of.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Could have sworn I read in one of your posts you claimed you wouldn't pile on... oh, here it is.
    Finally finished this. Marvel really dropped the ball on this series. I'm not going to pile on given I just did some quick skimming and it looks like nearly every single review touches upon the same issues I had with it. This show just failed on several fundamental levels. And what's worse is that you could see the seeds of some really great stuff there, but they fucked up the execution and the landing so much that it just adds to the frustration.

If the same person who made this show is also making the Defenders, I have serious qualms about how that team-up is going to turn out. Joss Whedon can tell you how much harder it is to juggle so many competing characters and storylines. I have no faith that someone who fucked up such a basic story would be able to do a remotely competent job on something about 7 times more difficult.

Iquisitor, you remain a funny guy.

My point about "piling on" was a note to myself not to write up a thesis paper on how shitty the show was right then and there. Not sure what else you're getting at. shryke went out of his way in this thread to dismiss the opinions of literally dozens of other people who aren't even here to defend themselves because he disagreed with them. I was pointing out facts.

It's totally fine to think that Iron Fist was great. Opinions are subjective like that. But if you want to have a discussion on something, you engage with the subject at hand. And if you can't do that, then you agree to disagree and walk away. Not whatever the fuck this is.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

That being said, I fucking love Colter as Cage, I am just of the opinion that he needs a friend to bounce off of.

More like it tried to become about something else, but the groundwork was all goofy.
    Cottonmouth had a whole thing about relationships between parents and children, but Diamondback wasn't able to leverage that because he was a horrible character and the whole thing felt much more sibling rivalryish than unequal treatment of sons by their father. Plus we barely knew a damn thing about Cage's family, so there wasn't much to hook into. We way knew more about Cottonmouth's family than Cage's.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    daveNYC wrote: »

More like it tried to become about something else, but the groundwork was all goofy.
    Cottonmouth had a whole thing about relationships between parents and children, but Diamondback wasn't able to leverage that because he was a horrible character and the whole thing felt much more sibling rivalryish than unequal treatment of sons by their father. Plus we barely knew a damn thing about Cage's family, so there wasn't much to hook into. We way knew more about Cottonmouth's family than Cage's.

Yeah, so far
    every single show has had pacing and bloat problems. I think they just have too many episodes to fill. They should have gone with the approach of "as many episodes as we need". They could've taken like 20 episodes off the table for these Defenders runs and made serials/experimental shows with instead.

At least you are honest. :P

It's funny cause as bad as the thing you are talking about ends up, probably right after this point the show does start regaining it's sense of being about something. The last few episodes in fact have a real obvious black politics vibe that comes back real strong and imo rescue the last half from being a complete disaster.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I'm in the other thread to, and I'm just using it for the purposes of nitpicking. But yeah, I've watched the entirety of Iron Fist, and I still say it's better than 90% of syndicated TV, and better than half of Netflix original series. But what I CAN say with Iron Fist is that it's on the lower end of quality for these shows. It's rushed, and it shows in the end result. It's a good proof of concept, but it's not the Hong Kong action or Wuxia action people really WANTED the show to be.

wbee62u815wj.png