As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Stuff! Thor is covered in brains!

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    wait did tjat genndy tartakovsky luke cage comic come out yet

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Also coulson should have called in the avengers for hive what the fuck

PNk1Ml4.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

How do you kill a Nazi made of bees with a simple bow and arrow?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Avengers kinda didn't exist in an official capacity by that point; just Tony, Vision and an injured Rhodey.

Avengers kinda didn't exist in an official capacity by that point; just Tony, Vision and an injured Rhodey.

Hive was an avengers-level threat before civil war

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

How do you kill a Nazi made of bees with a simple bow and arrow?

Putty arrow, bro

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    wait did tjat genndy tartakovsky luke cage comic come out yet
    Yup, and finished I believe

I read the first two issues. Stylish as heck and funny but not much substance there.

Which is fine for a fun little mini

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bernie Wrightson, one of the greatest comic artists/illustrators period, has passed.

Cheers to you Wrightson, your art was among the greatest to grace the medium.

17424707_10211044788848746_662962764852642009_n.jpg?oh=3f598eba50540800225b39a0c2448d05&oe=59661EFD

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Bucky didn't even kill Tony's parents in any conscious sense and given that Tony straight up attempted to kill Bucky when he found out I think it's fair to say that Steve was justified in finding it an impossible subject to broach.

Bucky with the bad hair.

did anyone do that one yet?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Bucky didn't even kill Tony's parents in any conscious sense and given that Tony straight up attempted to kill Bucky when he found out I think it's fair to say that Steve was justified in finding it an impossible subject to broach.

Yeah like

Bucky didn't kill Tony's parents

Hydra killed Tony's parents, and used Bucky to do it

(Hahahaha, yes, your upcoming joke about Bucky being a tool is very funny, folks)

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

He could have told Tony in a calm manner in a neutral environment without Bucky there.

Or ya know, wait for it to be revealed at the height of an incredibly tense weekend between all three of them.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

He could have told Tony in a calm manner in a neutral environment without Bucky there.

Or ya know, wait for it to be revealed at the height of an incredibly tense weekend between all three of them.

None of them knew that was going to happen at that time though. Zemo's plan, while improvised a lot of the time, was a master stroke. None of them thought that was what they were walking into.

Bucky did kill Tony's parents

It wasn't his fault

But he did it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I refuse to believe that there isn't a Hallmark card that could've defused the whole situation.

"Sorry I was mind controlled and killed your Mom and Dad"

(Place Jamba Juice gift card in slot)

• Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    @Rorshach Kringle It finished in late February, I think. I really enjoyed it, but it ends up as a weird combo of Bloodsport, the island of Dr. Moreau, and Dr. Seuss stories, just a bit beyond the normal blaxploitation story I expected going in.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

Maybe he would have done that at some point

I doubt he wanted it to happen like that at all

And honestly? Tony's reaction was understandable and made total sense but it wasn't, rationally, the right thing to do. He was angry, and upset, but Bucky didn't really kill anyone, not in any sense where he can be considered to be responsible or culpable. It's not that he didn't have a choice, it's that he was incapable of actually making decisions. His mind was poured out and replaced with pure obedience, he was in fact one of Hydra's most abused victims. Of course Steve wanted to protect him, knowing that. It's very understandable.

Which is why I like the final fight, tbh. It comes from something other than the driving thrust of the movie, it's Tony losing his shit with rage and Cap trying desperately to stop him murdering his friend. It makes total sense. And that's why Zemo is a great villain, because his premise is "you can't beat them but you can make them beat themselves" and he illustrated it perfectly.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    On the latest Flop House podcast, Elliott Kalan (writer of Spider-Man and the X-Men) tells the story of an unreleased Spider-Ham special he wrote that was never released

It was a parody of the then-recent Old Man Logan, in which an aging retired Spider-Ham goes out to try and find someone to drag him into one last job, because nobody has done it yet

It was drawn by Skottie Young and was never released because Marvel didn't want to make fun of Old Man Logan so the creators of it would let them use it more

It's a tragedy

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    The world can never insult Mark Millar enough tbh

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    The world can never insult Mark Millar enough tbh

354T4H5.png

nevar 4get

I would never wish something so cruel on a poor goat

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I would never wish something so cruel on a poor goat

He's not advocating it.

You just gotta get the information out there.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Millar's bad stuff should be scorned and his good work be appreciated.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited March 2017
    Millar ended a book by showing Eminem's o face as he fucked me and every other reader. Which has a way of painting a dark cloud over his alright work.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Oh, I thought that was going to be comic spoilers.

edited March 2017
    Im rewatching civil war for the first time since the theater and man

I just can not see eye to eye with whoever said the airport scene drags down the movie because I am still grinning from ear to ear.

EDIT: the Empire line is the most unbelievable thing the whole movie though.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I enjoyed Civil War enough, I guess, but I don't know why Spider-Man was in it. Like, story wise it makes no sense for Tony to bring a child into their fight

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I didn't really care that it didn't make much sense for him to be there because he was great.

Keith wrote: »
    I enjoyed Civil War enough, I guess, but I don't know why Spider-Man was in it. Like, story wise it makes no sense for Tony to bring a child into their fight

They mention it in passing.

Tony is specifically interested in his webbing. He's looking for a nonlethal way of ending the conflict.

Quire.jpg
    look i hate mark millar as much as the next guy, but combating him with nextwave is a straight up pot v kettle slobberknocker

and whoever wins, we lose

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I dont think much of the action landed for me in Civil War.

The airport stuff lacked any impact or gravity for me. Given that it was apparently 100 percent cgi that's not terribly suprising. Also Spider-Man was especially plasticy, which probably is due to his rather late addition.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    yeah like

the airport fight didn't drag down the movie for me, per se. but it didn't do anything either.

it was just a bunch of cartoons bouncing off each other (to me), so it held no weight. the movie isn't better or worse for it, and it was the most legible fight scene until the end...which also didn't work for me. but that was mostly because the showboaty nature of it really hurt the emotion it was trying to sell me.

i really liked the energy and direction of the winter soldier's action, so it was definitely a head scratcher as to why civil war was such a regression. and if it was too many characters...well that problem ain't going away in avengers 3

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I dont think much of the action landed for me in Civil War.

The airport stuff lacked any impact or gravity for me. Given that it was apparently 100 percent cgi that's not terribly suprising. Also Spider-Man was especially plasticy, which probably is due to his rather late addition.

I could take or leave a lot of action in Marvel movies with the exception of Russo joints, Avengers, Iron Man 3.

Civ gets big and crazy but it never stopped feeling grounded to me.

The Cap vs Iron Man ending is what really turns my head though. That is some emotionally engaging stuff.

Quire.jpg
    edited March 2017
    I have a feeling the Russos had difficulty with restraint on using impossible floaty cameras on a big open playing field.

Though the tight locales and constrained action scene were a mess so who knows.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
    I have a feeling the Russos had difficulty with restraint on using impossible floaty cameras on a big open playing field.

Though the tight localrs and constrained action scene were a mess so who knows.

which is baffling when you remember the sick elevator fight from winter soldier

6vjsgrerts6r.png

edited March 2017
    Im not as hot on TWS's action scenes, but yeah. The drop in quality was pretty astonishing.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I just can not see eye to eye with whoever said the airport scene drags down the movie because I am still grinning from ear to ear.

Yeah, that was probably me.

I could personally go without a large action-figure fight where none of the combatants are tying to actively hurt each other.

Replace that entire action scene with all of the Avengers in a heated discussion, I'd enjoy that way more.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg

Yeah, that was probably me.

I could personally go without a large action-figure fight where none of the combatants are tying to actively hurt each other.

Replace that entire action scene with all of the Avengers in a heated discussion, I'd enjoy that way more.

that's interesting because the fact that nobody really want to hurt each other is what makes me able to enjoy it.

Especially as a way of changing things up with the finale.

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.