As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iron Fist

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I did not and will not watch this show

Was the RZA's episode good at least

Do you share the man's affinity for hokey martial-arts bullshit?

It was cheesy as hell and I loved every second of it.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Which episode was the rza

Episode 6.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    As someone who has lost whatever appreciation he once had for ninjas in black pajamas I prefer Iron Fist's version of The Hand so far

Like I get that but they are just so lame though? Like its quickly becoming my head canon that Daredevil decimate their ranks and the Hand is already basically destroyed before IF gets involved.

Quire.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

6, the tournament

• PhantPhant Registered User regular

According to the interwebs he directed Episode 6.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah put this fucking guy in a major role in a marvel movie.

• GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Jesus christ he can even make nunchaku not look silly

Nunchaku always look silly, even here. I imagine the only scenario for them to look sillier than round the body stuff. is if you actually hit yourself in the head. Or hit the opponent and it bounces and hits you.

Geddoe on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Lewis Tan for Shang Chi

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Episode 6.

That's one of the better ones

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They should hire the people who make Into the Badlands to do all the fight scenes for next season. The martial arts in that show is what Iron Fist should be like, just with less gore and killing.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

And you're telling me Liam Neeson ISN'T in this?

That's one of the most annoying fight scenes. Why does The Iron Fist have so much trouble with one fucking guy?

It also has another dumb thing this show does a lot:
    Comically bad set dressings. Just a bunch of empty boxes to slap around.

Iirc the wood that the drunken fighter gets punched into looks super bad too.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Finished the season some inane thoughts as a person who doesn't read Iron Fist:
    1. Jessica Henwick is the newest celeb crush.
    2. Finn should hit the gym before his next season. He doesn't necessarily need to bulk. The character can be lean and muscular too.
    3. I like ninja. It is almost never a bad idea to put ninja into a series for me. Unfortunately, the Hand only really did the black pajamas for confronting hatchetmen.
    4. I have been casually studying Mandarin for like 2 years and I think I am worse at tones than Finn Jones and everybody who spoke Chinese in this show. I may be slightly better than the Kingpin.
    5. I think I play too many games. My first thought after the fight between Colleen and Bokuto was that she would loot his sword to replace her broken one.
    6. I am bad at all martial arts, but now I think I want to study Kung Fu for a bit
    7. Lewis Tan has it easy because he only had to be on screen for like 10 minutes. If saddled with Finn's lines the only saving grace for him would be slightly better fights(maybe, the fight choreographer might just be out to lunch) and maybe picking up some points for not being a white dude.
    8. Did Nobu not realize that Madame Gau was also hand? How hidden are these factions
    9. I hope the resurrection corrupts thing doesn't taint Elektra too much. I liked her.
    10. The Hand seems to operate on Conservation of Ninjutsu even when they aren't wearing the pj's. Dozens of students get curbstomped by Danny and Davos. But 3 dudes in the lobby of Harold's building is a tough struggle.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I withdraw my previous comment.

After having watched the whole thing, this was as bad and maybe worse than the back half of Luke Cage.

Both had finales that were laugh-out-loud stupid and poorly done but this show was just bizarre
    the big finale is a nonsense girder club fight with a middle aged business man. He's a magic kung fu master.

When Danny jumped him and knocked him down and then ran away for like a full ten seconds I started laughing hysterically.

Just horrendous. I can't think of a single positive thing to say about it. I am kind of blown away by how bad it was. This was Steven Seagal straight-to-DVD bad.

Evil Multifarious on
    Oh hey my first prediction for the show was right.
    "are they seriously going to have the climactic end of the series be a kung-fi fight between two white business men?"

Quire.jpg
    (Luke Cages finale was hilarious in all the right ways and Shades is my otl)

(But fuck the actual end where he gets taken to prison tho)

Quire.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    honestly, luke cage's final fight being a street fight with the community circling around was really fucking on point

despite what you thought of the actual villain

it's exactly the type of fight luke cage should be having

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    honestly, luke cage's final fight being a street fight with the community circling around was really fucking on point

what's the mcu equivalent of worldstar

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

what's the mcu equivalent of worldstar

i don't know, but tony stark probably owns it and it drives rhodey nuts

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Finished up the show a bit ago. Episode 1 was the worst of them all, but the end was also a complete shitshow. Everything between I was actually okay with for the most part, barring the bad choreography and Danny Rand being a terrible character. How different was he from his comic book iteration? I never read Iron Fist during my comic book interest years.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Finished up the show a bit ago. Episode 1 was the worst of them all, but the end was also a complete shitshow. Everything between I was actually okay with for the most part, barring the bad choreography and Danny Rand being a terrible character. How different was he from his comic book iteration? I never read Iron Fist during my comic book interest years.

It's honestly hard to even answer that question when show Danny is such a complete empty character.

His characterization seems to randomly drift not only from episode to episode, but even scene to scene.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

It's honestly hard to even answer that question when show Danny is such a complete empty character.

His characterization seems to randomly drift not only from episode to episode, but even scene to scene.
    They did a really bad job with the whole "inner turmoil" thing going on with his bursts of anger.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

They did a really bad job with the whole "inner turmoil" thing going on with his bursts of anger.

No you guys don't understand. The white lines are a metaphor for lines of cocaine, which represent the two opposing ends of Danny Rand's character - the insane high of his inner rage and the blunted low of his trained emotional detachment.

No, not really. His character is just ridiculously underwritten.

edited March 2017
    To go into specific example (this is across a couple / few episodes).
    So they make this big deal about how oh no his chi is out of balance because he got pissed off. First of all, thanks for the exposition about that rather than letting the audience come to the conclusion before Rand figures it out for himself. Just spell everything out for us because who has time for character exploration in a series dedicated to a character by its namesake.

Second, there is no grand moment or motivation that leads to Rand being able to summon the power of the Iron Fist again. All of a sudden, he's in trouble again, and hey there it is so now he can break the handcuffs. It was the perfect opportunity for some character growth and it just gets bypassed altogether.

And third? Despite all that, he STILL has moments of screaming like a baby idiot in anger like he did when he lost the ability to summon the power. And there were times before that even. Danny Rand is a lucky motherfucker because he gets away without learning a damn thing in this series and can still use something that demands so much more character. And I'm not talking about his lack of character as in empty shell, I mean he's just wealthy white dude stomping around going "I want it nooooooooow."
    Also speaking of characters not making sense, ending spoiler.
    Uh, why is the girl suddenly like "I want to kill Danny Rand" at the end? There was no build-up to that. Literally in that same conversation she gets told "uh, all the bad things that happened to you were his fault because he showed up." She'd been way more observant and level-headed throughout the show, and what, now arbitrary villainy?

Henroid on
    edited March 2017
    To go into specific example (this is across a couple / few episodes).
    So they make this big deal about how oh no his chi is out of balance because he got pissed off. First of all, thanks for the exposition about that rather than letting the audience come to the conclusion before Rand figures it out for himself. Just spell everything out for us because who has time for character exploration in a series dedicated to a character by its namesake.

Second, there is no grand moment or motivation that leads to Rand being able to summon the power of the Iron Fist again. All of a sudden, he's in trouble again, and hey there it is so now he can break the handcuffs. It was the perfect opportunity for some character growth and it just gets bypassed altogether.

And third? Despite all that, he STILL has moments of screaming like a baby idiot in anger like he did when he lost the ability to summon the power. And there were times before that even. Danny Rand is a lucky motherfucker because he gets away without learning a damn thing in this series and can still use something that demands so much more character. And I'm not talking about his lack of character as in empty shell, I mean he's just wealthy white dude stomping around going "I want it nooooooooow."
    Also speaking of characters not making sense, ending spoiler.
    Uh, why is the girl suddenly like "I want to kill Danny Rand" at the end? There was no build-up to that. Literally in that same conversation she gets told "uh, all the bad things that happened to you were his fault because he showed up." She'd been way more observant and level-headed throughout the show, and what, now arbitrary villainy?

I think everybody has that problem in the beginning and eventually their weird turns congeal into an actual personality.

Man just nobody makes any sense or is consistent until Danny gets legally declared back from the dead.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Well, he's not a completely empty character. He's an incredibly petty and shortsighted idiot.

Even though he has zero experience running a multi billion dollar company that employs thousands of people and does business with who knows how many more people, he's going to fight for control of it. He doesn't give a shit that he could be putting the financial security of who knows how many people on the line. Who cares if he turns out to be terrible at business and bankrupts Rand, losing billions of dollars, and putting thousands of people out of work? He gets to have his name back.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Wow that was a bland 13 hours of TV.

I just ended up skipping through the last 3 episodes because I just didn't care much about missing out. Everyone else has nailed my thoughts on it so yeah... what a disappointment. If they do a S2, I can only hope they completely replace the production team because the whole thing from script to sets to choreography just felt so flat.

Also
    Can anyone confirm if they explained why they completely overlooking the fact someone who'd been away 15 years didn't have any questions about what the fuck happened in the world in that time? Specifically all the aliens, gods and iron men that suddenly exist. I can't remember if Danny mentioned whether he could get the latest news in K'un-Lun but it kind of undermines the point of setting these in the MCU if they just cover over everything like it's no big deal.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

I just ended up skipping through the last 3 episodes because I just didn't care much about missing out. Everyone else has nailed my thoughts on it so yeah... what a disappointment. If they do a S2, I can only hope they completely replace the production team because the whole thing from script to sets to choreography just felt so flat.

Also
    Can anyone confirm if they explained why they completely overlooking the fact someone who'd been away 15 years didn't have any questions about what the fuck happened in the world in that time? Specifically all the aliens, gods and iron men that suddenly exist. I can't remember if Danny mentioned whether he could get the latest news in K'un-Lun but it kind of undermines the point of setting these in the MCU if they just cover over everything like it's no big deal.

Well to be fair, he is a dude who lived the past 15 years in a pocked dimension, has a glowy fist that punches through steel, and hugged a literal real life dragon. So his scale of what he accepts as no big deal may be a bit skewed.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I do wonder when they decided on the story for Madame Gao, and whether or not it was the same as the original plan back in Daredevil S1.
    I'm guessing they either wanted to give Danny a better reason to get involved in the Defenders vs the Hand, or just didn't want to have another ancient mystical thing going on at the same time, but it really made everything feel a lot smaller.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Not quite finished yet, but so far...it is solidly Meh. Like I don't hate it, but not only is the fight choreography better on something like Arrow which is sad considering budgets, but even the canned will they wont they melodrama of everything CW edges out whatever stilted emotional turmoil plot they are ham-fistedly trying to accomplish here. It is a bummer too because this could have been the launching pad for Defenders and instead it frittered away all the previous momentum gained by the other series.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I do wonder when they decided on the story for Madame Gao, and whether or not it was the same as the original plan back in Daredevil S1.
    I'm guessing they either wanted to give Danny a better reason to get involved in the Defenders vs the Hand, or just didn't want to have another ancient mystical thing going on at the same time, but it really made everything feel a lot smaller.
    Frankly I'm glad they went the route they did because I wouldn't have otherwise been hooked.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    She's still "another mystical thing" because she's not only different from the other members of the Hand, she's also lived for some amount of time in K'un Lun. She's also more physically powerful than many others in the show, and yet she let's herself be captured and held for her own reasons, and helps Danny of her own free will.

Gao is part of the Hand, but treating her as "just a part of the Hand" is ignoring a lot of what she does in the show.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular

Also

He didn't immediately fly back to New York, he mentions fighting for money after he'd left K'un Lun so he's spent some time in the "real" world before the show starts

PSN- AHermano
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If I could say anything to anyone who worked on this show, the first thing I would say is: Fire the showrunner(s) if you haven't already.

The second thing I would say is specific to Finn Jones: Your ass better be in martial arts training at least 4 times a week. Starting now.
    Hermano wrote: »

Also

He didn't immediately fly back to New York, he mentions fighting for money after he'd left K'un Lun so he's spent some time in the "real" world before the show starts

So by the time he gets to NYC it's clear that he's just being a complete dick?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Having thought about this show for a few days, I wouldn't call it good. I also wouldn't call it terrible. It is decidedly middle of the road, with both some peaks and valleys of quality mixed in, and it's biggest sin is just how dang boring it is a lot of the time..

I do hate the internet hyperbole machine's work on it, though. I've seen several sites calling it THE WORST SHOW ON NETFLIX and have you all seen what's on Netflix???

CYpGAPn.png
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    If I could say anything to anyone who worked on this show, the first thing I would say is: Fire the showrunner(s) if you haven't already.

The second thing I would say is specific to Finn Jones: Your ass better be in martial arts training at least 4 times a week. Starting now.
    Hermano wrote: »

Also

So by the time he gets to NYC it's clear that he's just being a complete dick?

How does that make him a "complete dick"?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah it's not even the worst Netflix Original show.

I think Madam Gao is great in this (and everything else she's been in). Not because of the writing so much, but her performance is just full of great choices and she's a magnetic screen presence.

I also think Davos is a strong performance, and I agreed with him 100% against Danny.

• CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    They should hire the people who make Into the Badlands to do all the fight scenes for next season. The martial arts in that show is what Iron Fist should be like, just with less gore and killing.
    oh

Well, I know which show I will be watching.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    She's still "another mystical thing" because she's not only different from the other members of the Hand, she's also lived for some amount of time in K'un Lun. She's also more physically powerful than many others in the show, and yet she let's herself be captured and held for her own reasons, and helps Danny of her own free will.

Gao is part of the Hand, but treating her as "just a part of the Hand" is ignoring a lot of what she does in the show.
    I mean don't get me wrong, she's still the most interesting villain in the show, it's just disappointing that the answer to everything mysterious that was teased before (and during) this show was the Hand. Madame Gao's with them, Colleen's with them, they also K'un Lun's ancient enemy, it just feels like a missed opportunity to ... I dunno. Expand the universe, I guess.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Yeah it's not even the worst Netflix Original show.

I think Madam Gao is great in this (and everything else she's been in). Not because of the writing so much, but her performance is just full of great choices and she's a magnetic screen presence.

I also think Davos is a strong performance, and I agreed with him 100% against Danny.

Yeah Gao is a really magnetic performance.

Her first appearance on the show had a REALLY terrible line though.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gao, Colleen, Davos, Claire and Zhou all were fantastic

I also really liked Harold's performance but his character was not great

CYpGAPn.png