As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch 9.0] Patch/Season 4 live! Introducing new hero: Orisa!

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Found an imposter:

4nmsx2q9b9jf.jpg

this is a day late but I seriously could not figure out the joke, thought it was some inside humour and just went /shrug and moved on

rereading this page I look at it again and I'm like OH

OH RIGHT

lol, exactly! It was mystery heroes (I needed something low stakes) so we basically laughed about it the whole time. He was like "YOU'RE THE ONE WHO TOOK MY NAME AWAY" and then we pontificated about long-lost twin possibilities.

The next game, my entire team had names associated with asian food. Me, sushininja, ramensensei, etc. We won easily, because of 1337 4514n h4x.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Half the time I watch Hanzo kill cams, they're actually misfires or aiming for something else but someone moves in the way.

And the other half it's miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-miss-headshot

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I watch those two clips Viv and I feel so jealous seeing all the support you get in doing your job.

Find a way to play DPS in silver some time, you will never want to do it again.

yeah rewatching those clips a couple of times really highlights how I had the support of the team to succeed

I got the quad kill off in the first clip because our tanks were suitably distracting the enemy, so I could just drop on top of them and ult into their faces

I actually almost die in the second clip as I'm ulting, and initially I put my survival down to me booping away at the right time after I've killed the Zenny, but you can also clearly see my health hit <30% about halfway through the Barrage but then immediately spike back up to full, thanks to Lucio's amp + Ana healing me

like I'm happy with my booping and ult-timing in the second clip, but my accuracy with her rockets is actually really really bad

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know I will never understand people who intentionally throw because they don't agree with someone's character choice.

You think you're gonna lose with a setup...so you intentionally increase your chances of losing...

Makes no sense.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know I will never understand people who intentionally throw because they don't agree with someone's character choice.

You think you're gonna lose with a setup...so you intentionally increase your chances of losing...

Makes no sense.

it smacks of a tantrum, really

and there's nothing wrong with tantrums per se, cuz when they're coming from an actual baby it's due to the fact that they don't have any other way to reason the situation

but it is utterly and profoundly confusing when someone presumably old enough to operate a PC resorts to tantrums

like, what do you really stand to gain here? control? like, by throwing a match you're exerting some control because you can rationalize that you lost cuz YOU made it happen, congrats?, whereas you don't have any actual control what someone else chooses to play?

I mean, that's probably it right there - control issues - in which case why are you even trying to play this game

Vivixenne on
    edited March 2017
    ugh I really need to turn my therapist brain off when it comes to Overwatch

like when I was getting abused for my gender, I felt bad for retaliating (I said that this is why his mother cries herself to sleep at night, why your dad left, and why your friends only pretend to like you but talk shit about you behind your back) and my husband is just like "honey, you don't have to care about EVERY fuckwit you meet" and it's like hmm, yeah, fair point

Vivixenne on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Half the time I watch Hanzo kill cams, they're actually misfires or aiming for something else but someone moves in the way.

God I get so salty when they miss someone else by a mile and headshot me out of coincidence.

Was me all night last night.

So many random out of nowhere deaths, only to switch to kill cam and its hanzo shooting into crowds or nothing and woops I died.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Goodness I can't wait for the Bastion nerf to hit console.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I often look at medals like that to see exactly the problem.

I had a similar situation but I was the gold with 5 elims and 3 point elims, in the 3rd round. I just told everyone to switch roles because we were all obviously in the wrong ones. Of course they responded the same way they had the whole round, which was dead silence.
    The thing about this match was in round 1, the degree to which we got stomped was VERY harsh. Our initial draft was:

D.Va
    Mercy (me)
    Hanzo
    Widow
    Lucio
    Genji

It was a bad draft and I called it out as fast as I could. And it showed, because our first sortie with the enemy team consisted of D.Va being eaten alive from immediate focus fire, me dying from trying to rescue her, and Genji dying at the same time because he's not the best Genji in the world. During the next fight, Genji changed to ANA. THREE SNIPERS THREE SUPPORTS FML

So when I called it out again, two other people on the team said (at the same time as me) that we needed a complete lineup change. Everyone went along with it, except our precious goddamn Hanzo main. Who didn't say a -word-. We were begging him to change first so we could structure around him, at the start of round 2. And we got no word. So we changed things up on our own. It actually did have an impact for rounds 2 and 3, we put up as much of a fight as possible. But that goddamn Hanzo.

In all honesty, asking people to switch is a waste of time. If you think a comp needs to be changed, you need to switch.

If you're the only healer, I don't think that'll be appreciated.

In all honesty, if there's like a minute left in the game, we're losing terribly, and people aren't taking comp advice to heart, I have no problem switching from the only healer into something I want to play. And when the game is over, if the rest of the team really wants to blame the only healer from switching with a short time left, they're sure as hell welcome to. Whatever helps them get over the loss and go to the next game IMO.
    jammu wrote: »
    It doesn't help, that everyone complains to widow-players. Even to competent ones.

I had a game, where whenever I died I saw Widowmaker-cam. Every time I saw her, she was headshotting 1-2 guys to death. And I mean every time.
    We still lost that match and rest of the group decided that it was that stupid widows fault...

This is a stigma of snipers in FPS games in general. More so in this game I think, because there are easily more beneficial heroes with not as high a learning curve. Basically if you're not playing meta at low ranks, it doesn't matter if you're FPS Doug. You're still likely to get trash talked. Kind of an issue, but easily fixed by muting. You just have to be open to the idea that if you're not pulling your weight, it might be more beneficial for the team to switch.

• DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

Makes no sense.

If you assume the team is going to lose, switching to a hero you just want to fuck around with will be more fun than actually trying to win

• SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    *blizzard barrage combo*

TEAM KILL!

*evil chortling ensues*

DrDinosaur wrote: »

Makes no sense.

If you assume the team is going to lose, switching to a hero you just want to fuck around with will be more fun than actually trying to win

Well. Given hiw much he was raging beforehand I doubt he was having fun.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    You know what though? you could be a sniper with three gold medals and your shitty comp choice could still be part of why your team lost.

Like on King of the Hill maps great you killed people. Doesn't mean dick if your team can't hold the point

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, part of the frustration with snipers in Overwatch is that the game isn't about killing mans*. The game is about getting your ass on the point/payload and snipers are infamously bad at that. I'm sure we've all seen the Widow who posts up away from the point in overtime instead of getting her ass on the point and buying time for her teammates to get there.

*Killing mans is a pretty important part of staying on the point/payload.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Yea, part of the frustration with snipers in Overwatch is that the game isn't about killing mans*. The game is about getting your ass on the point/payload and snipers are infamously bad at that. I'm sure we've all seen the Widow who posts up away from the point in overtime instead of getting her ass on the point and buying time for her teammates to get there.

If you are having to stall on the point in overtime, it's an indication that you have already done badly.

Like, if the sniper is getting two plus picks at the start of each engagement but you still lose the 5v4 team fight every time maybe the problem is with the team not carrying their weight and not the sniper?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    A sniper who gets one pick per engagement is evening things out.

One who gets 2+ is giving the team a net advantage.

So those things have to be considered before its determined a waste.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

If you are having to stall on the point in overtime, it's an indication that you have already done badly.

Like, if the sniper is getting two plus picks at the start of each engagement but you still lose the 5v4 team fight every time maybe the problem is with the team not carrying their weight and not the sniper?

I'd be happy if snipers averaged 1 pick per an engagement. Regardless though, if you're Widow with your grapple uncharged and OT is about to time out not grappling onto the point is choosing to lose the game. It doesn't really matter if you got 3 picks before that. It's that lack of awareness and playing the objective that bothers me with snipers.

It doesn't apply to every sniper but it does to way too many of those folks who instantly lock them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Did you guys hear about the new datamined audio files implying Widow is, in certain situations, capable of saying "I'm on the payload!" - no one is sure when this audio might play.

Ed; a guy I play Comp with has taken to using Widow every now and then, and he's proven quite fierce. Real good at taking out medics, turrets and Pharah. So I can see the Widow love, situational tho it might be. Hanzo tho, I don't get why any sniper would pick him over Widow...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Did you guys hear about the new datamined audio files implying Widow is, in certain situations, capable of saying "I'm on the payload!" - no one is sure when this audio might play.

Ed; a guy I play Comp with has taken to using Widow every now and then, and he's proven quite fierce. Real good at taking out medics, turrets and Pharah. So I can see the Widow love, situational tho it might be. Hanzo tho, I don't get why any sniper would pick him over Widow...

'cause I'm better at aiming projectiles than hitscan weapons.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

'cause I'm better at aiming projectiles then hitscan weapons.

That sounded dismissive of the whole character, sorry! As an outside observer who never picks sniper, Widow feels more potent in every category. Mayhaps I am way off. Like an arrow, not finding its mark.

Oh brilliant
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hanzo also has better general awareness since he's not aiming down a scope

Harder to successfully sneak up on him, so he tends to live longer

• TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    Also his movement ability isn't on cooldown (its not as flexible as her hook, but no waiting is a bonus.)

Also, Spidermine is poop. Scatter Arrow can one shot a bunch of stuff without much effort.

And also, while neither Ult is amazing, Dragons are more useful in some map areas than her Wall Hack Vision.

edited March 2017
    Can we all agree with worst people are those who duo queue and lock Hanzo and Widow?

Those people are monsters and seem to show up on my team in roughly 1/3rd of my Quick Play games.

TheDrifter on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There is pretty much never any need to have both Hanzo and Widow.

I'm hoping that because we now have 3 snipers (technically) Blizzard doesn't introduce another one for literally years.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'd argue that since scatter arrow is a guaranteed kill for the most part, Hanzo's regular headshots should not be one-shot kills.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I kind of want a sniper that uses iron sights on a gun that's similar to mcree's but like, worse close up but better afar (no falloff, but no fan option)

Basically give me my CoD experience back popping heads with the M14

edit: for balance concerns, I was thinking of making it so they can't headshot from the hip

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    tumblr_oal1rz6H4V1qigxf4o1_1280.png

Sadly there is no King counterpart.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Guys, I am so excited to Orisa tomorrow. Now I'll have options of which main tank to play when nobody else on my team picks a tank.

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Guys, I am so excited to Orisa tomorrow. Now I'll have options of which main tank to play when nobody else on my team picks a tank.

Somehow I doubt we'll have a shortage of tanks when she goes live.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Doesn't mean you'll have any good tanks.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    I guess the upside of my laptop bricking is I don't need to subject myself to fighting over getting to play Orisa on launch.

:c

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »

Somehow I doubt we'll have a shortage of tanks when she goes live.

This is true, but the hype will die down soon enough. And while other people are actually playing tank, maybe I'll get a chance to play literally anything else! It's a win-win in my book.

God I love Torbjorn PotG.

Always hilarious.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Where's my Noblegarden event with bunny-mech DVa, Blizzard? Where is it!?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Awesome. I wonder if they'll do more with it? I mean, a Genji as Grey Fox (or Raiden) panel seems inevitable here.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    today on things that make you want to uninstall:

launch a conc at genji on lijang by the bridge
    he insta-deflects because several teammates started shooting at him at the same time
    and even though conc hit the ground far behind him, he deflects it anyway
    INTO THREE TEAMMATES WHO ALL FALL OFF
    and he gets potg

madparrot on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That makes me love the game even more.

This discussion has been closed.