As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LGBT] thread won't be removed from this site

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I mean, Dohvahkin's a name now, right? And there's more than one out there.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Ezio is a perfectly cromulent Italian name.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ezio's not a bad name, honestly.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I guess if I switched my names up I'd be named after the Morgan from Fire Emblem Awakening...

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah but notice nobody's talking about naming their kid Soldier76.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yeah, I mean, I like it.

My only issue is that both of us are very much not even the slightest bit Italian, so I'd feel kinda pretentious going with something so distinct.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I just want my daughter's initials to be E.V. so I can call her eevee.

But given all the super girly presumptions I have toward my daughter she's gonna probably end up...well, being whoever the fuck she wants because thankfully she'll have y'all keeping me honest.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    When my buddy from my old D&D group came out to me, we were at a restaurant that shared his new name.

Me: "Is that the reason? Are you that big of a fan of the Western Bacon Cheeseburger?"

Him: "What? No! No. Goddamn it!

Me: "Ah, shit, sorry.."

Him: "No, my old middle name was Charlotte, and I went by that instead of my first name until I was like 12. But my cousins would sometimes shorten it to Carl as a joke. And it sort of.. felt right, even as a kid, you know. And then my family is already kind of used to it as a nickname. But I spell it with a K so it matches my old first initial."

Me: "Oh, right on, makes sense."

Him: ".... do you think I could get a sponsorship, though? Spin this into some free burgers?"

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    lol if you're not naming yourself after the first thing that pops up when you hit "random" in any MMO.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I have a question unrelated to the current topic at hand for the other trans people in this thread: are you struggling or did you struggle with what to choose as your new legal first name? Currently I'm feeling a lot of angst and anxiety over what to pick and it's literally keeping me up at night. I have a short list of names but none seem like clearly the best, most sensible, or evocative choice.

Personally no

I knew it before I even figured out I was trans

fuck gendered marketing
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Gundi wrote: »
    I forget, are the living Gaelic languages Welsh, Irish, and Breton? Am I forgetting any?

Scots Gaelic and Irish. Welsh and Breton (and Cornish though that's nearly dead) are Brythonic

Edit: Manx is a Gaelic language also and it's technically extinct but there's currently an attempt at a revival

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    When my buddy from my old D&D group came out to me, we were at a restaurant that shared his new name.

Me: "Is that the reason? Are you that big of a fan of the Western Bacon Cheeseburger?"

Him: "What? No! No. Goddamn it!

Me: "Ah, shit, sorry.."

Him: "No, my old middle name was Charlotte, and I went by that instead of my first name until I was like 12. But my cousins would sometimes shorten it to Carl as a joke. And it sort of.. felt right, even as a kid, you know. And then my family is already kind of used to it as a nickname. But I spell it with a K so it matches my old first initial."

Me: "Oh, right on, makes sense."

Him: ".... do you think I could get a sponsorship, though? Spin this into some free burgers?"

Dude's got his priorities in order.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yeah, I mean, I like it.

My only issue is that both of us are very much not even the slightest bit Italian, so I'd feel kinda pretentious going with something so distinct.

my friends have kids named Elvis and Toulouse

I think you've just gotta own it

• CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    That headline really undersells it. It's more like "Youtube Restricted Mode Hides And Prevents Viewing Of Any Video With LGBT+ Terminology In The Title." They already have a feature that makes you sign in to watch NSFW videos, too, so the further addition of restricted mode only makes sense as a way for them to shit on people they don't like.

I would like to say I'm surprised, but the only positive thing I've seen them do is add HTML5 support to their video player. (It was a big deal to me, because fuck Adobe, but that still doesn't mean they get free reign to be awful afterwards.)

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    cabsy wrote: »
    So for different reasons than gender I've been pondering using my middle name or a shortened version of my first name on my resume but literally all my references, school records, etc are under my full first name... does that cause problems for anyone?

I go by my middle name professionally (registration, employment, contract) and my legal first name for most other things (i.e., medical, visas, banks). It hasn't caused problems for me (yet), but I'm in Australia, where frankly I think they prefer a name they can pronounce like my middle name rather than my Cantonese first name, so no one really kicks up a fuss.

I feel a bit embarrassed that I honestly can't remember your first name, because I've heard it so few times. Maybe like, at your wedding and once or twice when people have asked. :x

It's cool, don't feel bad! I don't use it much outside Asia anyway.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    lol if you're not naming yourself after the first thing that pops up when you hit "random" in any MMO.

Hi, I'm Server Is Down For Maintenance

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    wandering wrote: »
    Taking the name of a videogame character is perfectly acceptable. Source: Robin Williams

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bINUfbLV_0M

omg I just learned that this ad got a sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ-OcP6yXd8

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I just want my daughter's initials to be E.V. so I can call her eevee.

But given all the super girly presumptions I have toward my daughter she's gonna probably end up...well, being whoever the fuck she wants because thankfully she'll have y'all keeping me honest.

But when she evolves into that more fiery, electric, icy, or dark personality you'll have a new nickname ready and waiting.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    god I miss Robin Williams

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I created a couple female online alter-egos when I was in my late teens on an MMO role-play server/message board. It was essentially an alternate universe version of myself, so I feminized my first name (Joe). Josephine never really sounded good to me at all so I picked "Johanna" after a girl I used to share a bus with everyday in elementary school. I think I would probably go with that if it ever came down to it. Better than the Japanese character name I came up with a few years earlier at-least.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So I've seen it in enough schools now to know it's not just an isolated thing.

In all the boys bathrooms I've been in at each school in this district (it has about 50k students in 6 different high schools, 8 middle schools, and like 30 elementary schools) there's a poster that's for an LGBT club after school. I haven't gone to all these schools, but it's been in pretty much all of them that I've gone to.

Makes me happy to see that this district is trying to help those kids rather than isolate them.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So, shaving your legs? Sucks.
    The after effects where you climb into bed and lay on fresh warm sheets and feel all smooth and good? Heavenly

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The after effects where you climb into bed and lay on fresh warm sheets and feel all smooth and good? Heavenly

If you've never shaved your head before, and then worn something like a ball cap or a hoodie, it's the same effect. It's magical.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It just takes so god damned long to do, like a 10+ minute ordeal. (legs not head)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I wish my leg hair didn't grow so dang fast

I would absolutely keep my legs shaved if I could go more than sixteen hours without becoming a prickly mess down there

But I've got thick, dark, and fast growing leg hair, it's a nightmare

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    If you can handle the pain, try gettin' them waxed. No stubbles for like two weeks! It's AMAZING. I've never gone anywhere to have it done, but it's pretty cheap to buy some DIY wax from a store.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If you can handle the pain, try gettin' them waxed. No stubbles for like two weeks! It's AMAZING. I've never gone anywhere to have it done, but it's pretty cheap to buy some DIY wax from a store.

but what if you are 1 part human and 1 part robin williams

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If summer ever comes back I might have to start shaving my legs again. I hate body hair so much but I am also intensely lazy and no one ever sees my legs so

But yeah I should probably get back home nto the habit. I would be horrified if anyone did see my legs for some reason.

Neco on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've been considering trying waxing for a while, actually. Maybe this summer will be the summer to do it (not that season really makes a difference, as I wear pants year round, but it feels like a summer thing to do).

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My leg hair used to be just a fangorn, but lately I can go 6ish months between waxing, and if I go longer it still isn't that bad as the hair is mostly vellus instead of the dark hair I used to have.

Psykoma on
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I need to shave my legs again....that's my #1 'feel like a girl' ritual and I barely have time for it anymore

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I need to shave my legs again....that's my #1 'feel like a girl' ritual and I barely have time for it anymore

Gotta multitask. Don't need your hands or legs to podcast.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    LIVE, FROM MOLLY'S BATHTUB, IT'S TRANSMISSION RADIO

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    LIVE, FROM MOLLY'S BATHTUB, IT'S TRANSMISSION RADIO

I hear bathroom acoustics are great

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular

If you're a masochist you can always try using an epilator but I'm pretty sure they use those as torture devices in one of the lower circles of hell.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I've been trying to not chew my fingernails as much and now they are just slightly too long so now my wife is gonna teach me nails things!

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »

If you're a masochist you can always try using an epilator but I'm pretty sure they use those as torture devices in one of the lower circles of hell.

I used to have one. I never did get used to the pain, but it did work rather nicely.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Waxing has NOT been very successful for me in the past. In addition to being easy to screw up, it didn't stay gone for that long and when it grew back it often came in underneath a tiny layer of skin so I would have to, like, scratch every follicle free before I could deal with them again. I dunno, maybe I did it wrong somehow.

I'll probably end up lasering most of my body at some point, but that gets really expensive.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

If you've never shaved your head before, and then worn something like a ball cap or a hoodie, it's the same effect. It's magical.

god i wanna shave my head again, but my husband and our girlfriend haaaaate it.

fuckin hair all... gotta wash your hair, gotta comb it. head gets all hot.

This discussion has been closed.