As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Unless you dislike coop or dislike unpacking big games with lots of pieces, you'll probably prefer MvM to robo rally

sig.gif
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Got to try out my copy of Vikings Gone Wild last night. I enjoyed it a lot as I was wanting a good deck builder. I really dig the art, and I like that there is player interaction in attacking, but it's just a source of points for one side or the other for the most part so there's not a whole lot of screw you, I've ruined your engine going on. The only thing that felt like it was missing was a way to remove cards from your deck. I also have the Ragnarok expansion to turn it into a coop somehow, which I think will be cool.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Unless you dislike coop or dislike unpacking big games with lots of pieces, you'll probably prefer MvM to robo rally

Boo-urns. Boo-urns I say!

But I have the biggest nostalgic soft spot for RoboRally possible, and I haven't played mvm, so I might possibly be a biased boo-urns.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Cantido wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Our local board game bar in DC has nothing stiffer than Catan. Mostly they have a random assortment of nostalgia games. This works really well, because they know any board game nerds are just going to bring their own games anyway, so all the games they have out are to lure in normal people.

The Board Room in DC has a better spread. The Beer and Bogglers Meetup is where people bust out the euros and hidden identity games.

Do they have good games hidden somewhere you have to ask for?

Edit: Re Robo Rally, has anyone tried the new edition with the rules revisions?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Our local board game bar in DC has nothing stiffer than Catan. Mostly they have a random assortment of nostalgia games. This works really well, because they know any board game nerds are just going to bring their own games anyway, so all the games they have out are to lure in normal people.

The Board Room in DC has a better spread. The Beer and Bogglers Meetup is where people bust out the euros and hidden identity games.

Do they have good games hidden somewhere you have to ask for?

Edit: Re Robo Rally, has anyone tried the new edition with the rules revisions?

From what I've heard, the rules revisions sound good, but they *really* cheaped out in regards to quality of components. Like, everything's on super thin cardstock. Granted, it means that it's super cheap to get...

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Couple questions...
    1) I saw a reviewer refer to Gloomhaven as legacy. Can anyone tell me how "legacy" it is? Can I replay scenarios?
    2) I'm considering ordering Mech vs Minions in the wave 2. Part of this is because I played RoboRally with 3 friends and we loved the gameplay. I've read mixed reviews on the 2016 reprint and it would be a bit of work right now to get it in Canada. How "legacy" is MvM? Can I replay scenarios with people?

MvM is only legacy in that you slowly introduce new rules and components by opening envelopes after each game. You don't destroy anything and can easily replay anything by putting the newly added stuff back. Or even just playing the old scenarios with the full whack of rules and components mixed in works fine.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    We just won a copy of Robo Rally at Unpub 7, but haven't had time to try it yet. I haven't played MvM, but we have and like Colt Express which has planned card movement, so we will probably like either/both.

Out of the up and coming games we played, there is a game supposedly coming out this year called "Sailing Toward Osiris". It is a tight worker placement game with an Egyptian theme and building mechanics. We like Stone Age a lot and Imhotep, this scratches both itches at once.

We also got to congratulate the creator of Beeeees on his successful kickstarter. Unfortunately his next game is a word game and my son has a real problem reading so we didn't get to play it.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Speaking (a few days ago) of bar games, I played Scythe in a bar last night. Did absolutely horribly because my initial strategy got completely derailed and I never managed to recover. That said, I played with one of the expansion nations for the first time. Is it my imagination or is the Albion (or whatever the name of the English-ish boar people may be) faction kind of very unbalanced, special-powers-wise? That player wound up coming in second but only because of a very clever set of last-round plays by another player (who did not, in fact, win, but did cost the Albionians their victory by taking a bath on popularity to drive them out of 3 hexes).

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    0453a769-6fa1-4933-b5f9-633e0d7cc626.jpg

Put Dune on the table yesterday for the first time in years, with four players. We played with the basic rules, with the only house rules being a 10 turn limit (which IMO just keeps up the pace of play) and a limit of 2 players to an alliance (because a 3 on 1 fight is crap).

For game one, I took the Emperor, CR the Fremen, OB House Atreides and RB House Harkonnen. The Fremen got the short end of the stick in an early fight and then an early nexus allowed players to ally. House Corrino extended the hand of friendship to his distant cousins (along with a bribe of spice) and fueled their military machine with the funds paid to him for treachery cards. A rapid campaign by the Atreides ejected House Harkonnen from the stronghold of Carthag and then they took another stronghold from the Fremen to end the game in a stunning turn 3 win after less than an hour of play.

Obviously, such a quick pace of play called for a second game. OB and RB switched houses while the rest of us kept our factions.

In this game, the worms stayed below the surface and there were no opportunities for an early alliance. As the Emperor, I built up a massive reserve of spice and took a sietch in the south as my first stronghold. After the Atreides and Harkonnen fighting left Arrakeen nearly empty, I dropped a major force of Imperial troops there and dug in, hoping to pick off Carthag for a solo win. I would have felt very pleased with my position if the Harks hadn’t nuked the shield wall with the family atomics, which meant the storm would scour these locations empty if it passed through.

The Atreides were hitting the Fremen hard and the Harkonnen also put the boot in, taking a stronghold in the south away from the natives. Stilgar died to a Harkonnen stunner, but was returned as a ghola from the Tleilaxu’s tanks. In short order, the Atreides killed several more of the Fremen leaders. However, the Fremen revealed themselves to be in possession of a lasgun, which meant I would have to try and get rid of their weapon before I could seize Carthag for a victory.

A Caid of the Sardaukar was placed in command of this mission. Given a small force of troops, he went in at the foe equipped with tickets for a trip to Gamont (a worthless card) and a shield. The Fremen revealed their lasgun and the resulting atomic explosion scrubbed Chani and the faithful Caid from the stronghold. All had come to pass as planned-

-except the storm picked this moment to move 6 sectors and promptly scoured Arrakeen of life! Suddenly the Emperor had 12 tokens in the Tleilaxu’s tanks and it would be a painful expense to buy them back. Fortunately, spice was an abundant resource for the Padishah Emperor, thanks to active bidding for treachery cards and having picked off two uncontested spice blows.

At last a worm emerged and alliances were formed. The Emperor kept his peace, waiting to see where the cards would fall. The Fremen were desperate for aid and convinced the Harks to take their side, leaving House Corrino once again aligned with House Atreides.

By now, the Atreides campaign to scour Arrakis of Fremen had killed every Fremen leader except Stilgar. A major clash took place at Carthag between Lady Jessica and Stilgar. Stilgar revealed his true colors, betraying his people to the Atreides, but Lady Jessica proved equally unfaithful as the Harkonnen had her true loyalty! The resulting catastrophe destroyed both forces and left the Fremen without any leaders.

Meanwhile, the Emperor sent his own commandoes in to retake Arrakeen. Feyd Rautha opposed the Emperor’s cheap hero and though it appeared he would die in the fight, the Harks looked like they would take the day on troops. But we weren’t done with traitors, no not at all, and Feyd sold his father out in love for House Corrino! This disaster enriched the Emperor and destroyed the Hark’s only force in the vicinity of the key strongholds, meaning the cash poor Harks would be have to ship troops in to contest the area on the next turn.

With the water clock nearly out of time, the Emperor pushed a force from Arrakeen to Carthag and reinforced it with troops (fresh from the tanks) delivered by the Guild’s lighters. The Harks tried to stop this, but they could only send two troops and the presence of a lasgun in the Emperor’s hand meant he had no fear of Beast Rabban’s leadership (an atomic explosion would be an inconvenience but not a fatal one and it didn’t appear the Harks had a shield). With the ability to dial 3 (to the Hark’s 2) and keep 1 in control and the cheap hero returning as a leader (denying the Harks the opportunity to surprise with a traitor), House Corrino could count on winning the fight and the game.

Wolf of Dresden on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    0453a769-6fa1-4933-b5f9-633e0d7cc626.jpg

Put Dune on the table yesterday for the first time in years, with four players. We played with the basic rules, with the only house rules being a 10 turn limit (which IMO just keeps up the pace of play) and a limit of 2 players to an alliance (because a 3 on 1 fight is crap).
    For game one, I took the Emperor, CR the Fremen, OB House Atreides and RB House Harkonnen. The Fremen got the short end of the stick in an early fight and then an early nexus allowed players to ally. House Corrino extended the hand of friendship to his distant cousins (along with a bribe of spice) and fueled their military machine with the funds paid to him for treachery cards. A rapid campaign by the Atreides ejected House Harkonnen from the stronghold of Carthag and then they took another stronghold from the Fremen to end the game in a stunning turn 3 win after less than an hour of play.

Obviously, such a quick pace of play called for a second game. OB and RB switched houses while the rest of us kept our factions.

In this game, the worms stayed below the surface and there were no opportunities for an early alliance. As the Emperor, I built up a massive reserve of spice and took a sietch in the south as my first stronghold. After the Atreides and Harkonnen fighting left Arrakeen nearly empty, I dropped a major force of Imperial troops there and dug in, hoping to pick off Carthag for a solo win. I would have felt very pleased with my position if the Harks hadn’t nuked the shield wall with the family atomics, which meant the storm would scour these locations empty if it passed through.

The Atreides were hitting the Fremen hard and the Harkonnen also put the boot in, taking a stronghold in the south away from the natives. Stilgar died to a Harkonnen stunner, but was returned as a ghola from the Tleilaxu’s tanks. In short order, the Atreides killed several more of the Fremen leaders. However, the Fremen revealed themselves to be in possession of a lasgun, which meant I would have to try and get rid of their weapon before I could seize Carthag for a victory.

A Caid of the Sardaukar was placed in command of this mission. Given a small force of troops, he went in at the foe equipped with tickets for a trip to Gamont (a worthless card) and a shield. The Fremen revealed their lasgun and the resulting atomic explosion scrubbed Chani and the faithful Caid from the stronghold. All had come to pass as planned-

-except the storm picked this moment to move 6 sectors and promptly scoured Arrakeen of life! Suddenly the Emperor had 12 tokens in the Tleilaxu’s tanks and it would be a painful expense to buy them back. Fortunately, spice was an abundant resource for the Padishah Emperor, thanks to active bidding for treachery cards and having picked off two uncontested spice blows.

At last a worm emerged and alliances were formed. The Emperor kept his peace, waiting to see where the cards would fall. The Fremen were desperate for aid and convinced the Harks to take their side, leaving House Corrino once again aligned with House Atreides.

By now, the Atreides campaign to scour Arrakis of Fremen had killed every Fremen leader except Stilgar. A major clash took place at Carthag between Lady Jessica and Stilgar. Stilgar revealed his true colors, betraying his people to the Atreides, but Lady Jessica proved equally unfaithful as the Harkonnen had her true loyalty! The resulting catastrophe destroyed both forces and left the Fremen without any leaders.

Meanwhile, the Emperor sent his own commandoes in to retake Arrakeen. Feyd Rautha opposed the Emperor’s cheap hero and though it appeared he would die in the fight, the Harks looked like they would take the day on troops. But we weren’t done with traitors, no not at all, and Feyd sold his father out in love for House Corrino! This disaster enriched the Emperor and destroyed the Hark’s only force in the vicinity of the key strongholds, meaning the cash poor Harks would be have to ship troops in to contest the area on the next turn.

With the water clock nearly out of time, the Emperor pushed a force from Arrakeen to Carthag and reinforced it with troops (fresh from the tanks) delivered by the Guild’s lighters. The Harks tried to stop this, but they could only send two troops and the presence of a lasgun in the Emperor’s hand meant he had no fear of Beast Rabban’s leadership (an atomic explosion would be an inconvenience but not a fatal one and it didn’t appear the Harks had a shield). With the ability to dial 3 (to the Hark’s 2) and keep 1 in control and the cheap hero returning as a leader (denying the Harks the opportunity to surprise with a traitor), House Corrino could count on winning the fight and the game.

Aw great! I so wanna bring my copy to the table. Has been a year come may that I have played. Certainly afterbI heard that there will be a new Dune film. I would love to make a Jorodowsky Dune redesign or just play dune on LSD.
    So no double spice blow etc rules?
    I always feel that the emperor gets the upper hand if there is a double spice blow due to the abundance of spice and higher bidding on treachery cards.

I still need to reformat the rules translation to my native language and make player aids.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    That was beautiful game report!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Is that the nice PnP version you can download from BGG? I want that so bad.

• Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    That was beautiful game report!

Thanks!
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Is that the nice PnP version you can download from BGG? I want that so bad.

Yep, this is the BGG custom art as put together by Andrew Tullsen. Unfortunately, I think he had to drop Dune from his offerings once FFG picked up the license.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I've been looking at getting a PnP version of Dune done myself as a summer project.

Any advice for getting it done? I'm starting to do research on printing cards, boards, etc. Weighing doing it myself versus what companies are out there to do it for you, time vs costs, etc.

Any pointers would be great. I've got all the necessary files off of BGG, it's just how to best convert said files into a playable game.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I've been looking at getting a PnP version of Dune done myself as a summer project.

Any advice for getting it done? I'm starting to do research on printing cards, boards, etc. Weighing doing it myself versus what companies are out there to do it for you, time vs costs, etc.

Any pointers would be great. I've got all the necessary files off of BGG, it's just how to best convert said files into a playable game.

I did the Ilya redesign myself. The cards are on artscow ready to be printed and shipped. The board I had printed as a laminated 100x90 cm poster and glued it onto some plywood. Combat dials were printed on a4 and then laminated with a folderpin in the middle.
    Rest I got from spielmaterial.de. 2cm and 1 inch round wood tokens with round stickers. I applied a coat of clear varnish to the tokens so the stickers don't fall off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Is there a user list or any kind of organization for the various play online sites, like BGA or Tabletopia?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    well board game thread I did it

I was tempted with a last minut $300+ pledge for a horror-dudes-on-a-map game and I resisted

I passed the test, I will diminish, and go into the West
    san francisco I guess

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I was tempted with a last minut $300+ pledge for a horror-dudes-on-a-map game and I resisted

san francisco I guess

Good job! I feel you, and definitely do not have a Kickstarter tab open and a hanging text to my wife about dropping $80 on a game...

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

san francisco I guess

I'd try something further north. If your goal is to save money San Francisco is NOT the right choice.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Thanks for the answers about MvM. Put a preorder in for wave 2.

Can anyone comment about Gloomhaven's Legacy-ness?

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular

There's some legacy aspects, you're marking cards/the board with stickers and removing some cards from the game.
    You could play it as a non-legacy by just running the scenarios in casual mode but I'm not sure you'd get as much out of the product that way.

• Options

They did. The only "legacy" is that you put stickers on a map and put stickers on cards to power them up for every other character that ends up playing as that class. Any scenario can be replayed for gold, xp and treasure. The only thing you really remove from the game are some of the event cards that tell you to when resolved.

I also am not a huge fan of the game tho; set up and tear down is pretty unbearable and component quality feels awfully cheap.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

They did. The only "legacy" is that you put stickers on a map and put stickers on cards to power them up for every other character that ends up playing as that class. Any scenario can be replayed for gold, xp and treasure. The only thing you really remove from the game are some of the event cards that tell you to when resolved.

I also am not a huge fan of the game tho; set up and tear down is pretty unbearable and component quality feels awfully cheap.

Ah, I read Auralynx's reply as being about MvM initially. Your opinion of the game is interesting. I haven't seen many negative comments about it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This weekend was spring cleaning, and I've resolved to finally sell some of these kickstarter mini's games I've accumulated that take up way more physical space than they deserve due to being a dumptruck full of minis.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options

Ah, I read Auralynx's reply as being about MvM initially. Your opinion of the game is interesting. I haven't seen many negative comments about it.

It's basically some new ways to do some old things and tries to remove any randomness; there's nothing I'm doing in this game that's very different than most other dungeon crawls I've played. Also, board game people are SUPER affected by the hype train, way more than most other communities I've seen mainly because of the huge price tags.

Is it a good game? Yeah, I guess. Is it $300 worth of good game? Hells no.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Another $50 buy in for Rising Sun to give you two more, I assume, Chinese clans. They cannot use the normal season cards and instead come with their own cards and figures. Not actually that bad a price for what you get, but expansions while the Kickstarter is still going on seems like bad form.

Edit: I am a consumer whore.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Those criticisms are valid and encapsulate my biggest (and pretty much only) complaints about the game. We're fortunate enough to be able to leave it out so that mitigates setup/teardown but it really is a pain especially on maps with lots of different monster types. I think it could be just as good without all the room 'fluff', IE there are lots of obstacle tiles of various sizes and shapes but they all behave the same way; I don't feel the flavor that different tiles gives outweighs the setup time and storage hassle.

The component quality is of increasing concern the more we play. Now to be fair, we've been playing it a lot, but the standees are showing wear , the character boxes are a pain because cards keep falling out of them (they should have gone with solid bottomed boxes, I dont know the term for this, but theres a gap where single cards keep sliding out, we've taken to putting the entire box in a ziploc, annoying), the character boards for tracking health/xp flat out suck (and to be fair Isaac wasn't happy with how these turned out and was basically out of time to do better), and the scenario book is starting to lose pages. I know a lot of this sounds like "Well, take better care of it" but that's not the cause of these other than normal use.

Individually none of those are a huge deal but collectively it's a bit of a drag. It's not putting me off the game, I like the gameplay a lot (it's the only game we're playing at the moment), and for the $60 I backed it for, it's the best deal in my collection. But I would have gladly paid higher for a boost in quality, and I would have preferred a more concise yet functional component count.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Yeah, I wasn't at my most coherent, but Magic Pink and Chiselphane filled the critique out nicely.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Another $50 buy in for Rising Sun to give you two more, I assume, Chinese clans. They cannot use the normal season cards and instead come with their own cards and figures. Not actually that bad a price for what you get, but expansions while the Kickstarter is still going on seems like bad form.

I am very mad about this. The rational thing to do is to wait for the game to release before buying an expansion, but then you get a mismatch in component quality (as the base pledge ships with plastic components, and these won't be available post-release).

• Options
    Darric wrote: »

I am very mad about this. The rational thing to do is to wait for the game to release before buying an expansion, but then you get a mismatch in component quality (as the base pledge ships with plastic components, and these won't be available post-release).

You could also not buy the game and get 3 $50 dollar games without the boatload of mini's. Because Rising sun is a 50 dollar game with a 100 dollar plastic facelift.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

You could also not buy the game and get 3 $50 dollar games without the boatload of mini's. Because Rising sun is a 50 dollar game with a 100 dollar plastic facelift.

I don't really disagree with you ... but I'm not really talking about the price vs production value trade off. What I've seen of Rising Sun is intriguing (I love diplomacy games) with or without the minis.

I'm frustrated that of the three options (cancel my pledge, keep my pledge, add to my pledge) there is no option that makes me feel good.

Darric on
  • Options

I don't really disagree with you ... but I'm not really talking about the price vs production value trade off. What I've seen of Rising Sun is intriguing (I love diplomacy games) with or without the minis.

I'm frustrated that of the three options (cancel my pledge, keep my pledge, add to my pledge) there is no option that makes me feel good.

I also am not talking about production value exactly. I initially also pledged because I liked the idea of Rising Sun the diplomacy game.
    This also was my first CMON kickstarter and didn't really know what to expect, I had heard about the way they run things.
    I cancelled my pledge because I saw another game that fit better with my playgroup (Hexplore-it) and I took issue with 2 sculpts for one and the same token. This came of to me as unnecessarily confusing and not in line with non-confusing game design.
    A sign that it wasn't about the game but that the game was the vehicle to help sell lots of plastics. The other sign is that there is still no rulebook and everything that can be made plastic is made into plastic.
    Instead of lowering MSRP we get moar plastic that doesn't hit the table most of the time. Add-ons are overpriced and the last add-on will give you buyers remorse if you don't buy it straight away because when it goes to retail it wont have all the bits the KS version has.

CMON is using kickstarter as preorder and manipulating people into going all in on a game that hasn't even been reviewed yet, because you will feel sorry you didn't back the hypetrain if it does turn out good. You will miss out on a whole clan and all those other ks exclusives.
    Kickstarter exclusives pressure people into backing because they feel they will loose out otherwise. Case in point is a certain ks exclusive mini for bloodrage.
    Best part is that you don't know if the game is good until you get it to the table a year from now.

So IMHO I go all in and hope the game is good and/or flip it for a profit or I cancel my pledge and never think about it again. Because I will kick myself in the head everytime I play it because I could have had all these extra gameplay options locked away in plastic bloat.

To save on production costs they could have made wooden meeples/strongholds for all the clans and only do the gods 28 mm plastic. That way they could have included all the clans at 100 dollars.
    And just have different colored wooden tokens for the VP tracker and wooden half ying yang pieces.
    And cardboard mandates.
    And have the mini's for the clans/strongholds as add-ons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

while I agree with this

I would happily pay for a 100$ plastic facelift for the games I like the most

• Options
    in other news I FINALLY got my tracking number for arcadia quest inferno and they entered the wrong numbers for my street address

burn

it

all

down

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

I also am not talking about production value exactly. I initially also pledged because I liked the idea of Rising Sun the diplomacy game.
    This also was my first CMON kickstarter and didn't really know what to expect, I had heard about the way they run things.
    I cancelled my pledge because I saw another game that fit better with my playgroup (Hexplore-it) and I took issue with 2 sculpts for one and the same token. This came of to me as unnecessarily confusing and not in line with non-confusing game design.
    A sign that it wasn't about the game but that the game was the vehicle to help sell lots of plastics. The other sign is that there is still no rulebook and everything that can be made plastic is made into plastic.
    Instead of lowering MSRP we get moar plastic that doesn't hit the table most of the time. Add-ons are overpriced and the last add-on will give you buyers remorse if you don't buy it straight away because when it goes to retail it wont have all the bits the KS version has.

CMON is using kickstarter as preorder and manipulating people into going all in on a game that hasn't even been reviewed yet, because you will feel sorry you didn't back the hypetrain if it does turn out good. You will miss out on a whole clan and all those other ks exclusives.
    Kickstarter exclusives pressure people into backing because they feel they will loose out otherwise. Case in point is a certain ks exclusive mini for bloodrage.
    Best part is that you don't know if the game is good until you get it to the table a year from now.

So IMHO I go all in and hope the game is good and/or flip it for a profit or I cancel my pledge and never think about it again. Because I will kick myself in the head everytime I play it because I could have had all these extra gameplay options locked away in plastic bloat.

To save on production costs they could have made wooden meeples/strongholds for all the clans and only do the gods 28 mm plastic. That way they could have included all the clans at 100 dollars.
    And just have different colored wooden tokens for the VP tracker and wooden half ying yang pieces.
    And cardboard mandates.
    And have the mini's for the clans/strongholds as add-ons.

This is really the thing I hate most about board game kick starters. I'll either go all in on a game or I'll ignore it forever.

Like Dark Souls looks fine? I'm never buying it because of the amount I missed out on for not backing the Kick Starter.

In a more positive take on this though there was a video game Kickstarter called Starfighter Inc. that failed about a year ago and had exclusive ships as one of the backer options. Now they've come back and those options are gone. Which is freaking great.

I dunno, pretty much any time the words 'kickstarter exclusive' are used I kinda hate it. Even with small cosmetics stuff. Because what you're really saying with that isn't 'back our game and get rewarded' but 'if you don't back the game now you will never own a complete set'.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    if the boardgame thread ever has a meet-up to play some Basketball: the CCG, we can just split people into Team Minis and Team Cards, so that's pretty cool

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    except none of us would play a ccg

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Dropmix looks like it's going to be an LCG since the packs won't be randomized.

• Options
    I know 100% I'm getting played by this Rising Sun Kickstarter. I know this is all nonsense, that everything is already done and ready to print, and they're just conducting the hype train like seasoned pros. But it's fun sometimes to punch my ticket and take a seat. I hope you'll forgive me.

• Options
    I know 100% I'm getting played by this Rising Sun Kickstarter. I know this is all nonsense, that everything is already done and ready to print, and they're just conducting the hype train like seasoned pros. But it's fun sometimes to punch my ticket and take a seat. I hope you'll forgive me.

Its your money and you don't have to justify spending it. Everyone weighs things differently. I am just random internet stranger no. 227783.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.