As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

U mad?

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I swear at my work it's expected for you to one up the other person. Someone will go on and on about how they only got two hours of sleep, then look at me for a response. Apparently, 'wow, that sucks, I managed to sleep a solid seven hours.' is an insult to them.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Jedoc wrote: »
    but they'll trip all over themselves to brag about how bad they are at math

I've never understood this. Why is it "super cute and funny/relatable" to be bad at math?? Or bad at anything, really. I'm super good at math and if I didn't agree with my classmates when they'd go on about "LOL everything is SO HARD lol" then they'd give me looks.

I guess caring about anything and not being a total idiot isn't "cool".

NightDragon on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    people think helplessness is cute

fuck that

be good at all the god damned things

jack/jill of all trades

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    we're not fucking ants, specialization is for bugs

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    we're not fucking ants

Are you trying hard enough?

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm decent at math, I just don't want to put in the effort to learn the really high up stuff. Discrete mathematics is as far as I've gone and that was putting my brain through the wringer.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    but they'll trip all over themselves to brag about how bad they are at math

I've never understood this. Why is it "super cute and funny/relatable" to be bad at math?? Or bad at anything, really. I'm super good at math and if I didn't agree with my classmates when they'd go on about "LOL everything is SO HARD lol" then they'd give me looks.

I guess caring about anything and not being a total idiot isn't "cool".

Especially as a woman. How DARE you show competence and ability, especially in MATH. You must be some sort of witch.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Madican wrote: »
    I'm decent at math, I just don't want to put in the effort to learn the really high up stuff. Discrete mathematics is as far as I've gone and that was putting my brain through the wringer.

I think it's more of "giving up before even trying" that bothers most people.

No one is expecting you to do calculus

but you should be able to do algebra

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2017
    Falx wrote: »
    We used to! But the economy and infrastructure was built to support a "First World" level only for us crackers, so when suddenly we had 40 million other people we had to stop treating like poop and start treating like human beings the budget to keep things running was spread out like crazy. There are very few long haul passenger trains left, other than the Blue Train, which is expensive but dated. That doesn't go to Namibia though. I can vaguely remember going from Johannesburg station to Cape Town on a train when I was four or five.

Cape Town has an extensive metro, but security is... uh not great.

The Gautrain is not bad, but expensive. And once you realize the reason it's so safe is because of the horrifying beatings the security dishes out to criminals it becomes unpalatable.

I believe there is still a train running north-south in Namibia, but as far as I know it doesn't connect up with SA.
    Driving is probably the most hassle-free way of going between the countries if you're in a group, but traveling solo I'd probably fly to Windhoek and figure it out from there.

tynic on
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I think a lot of it is ego self-defense. Knowing that other people don't have a problem with something you do struggle with can be pretty demoralizing, so you act like it's cool to be bad at it so you don't have to feel inferior. For something like math, in which a lot of people struggle and the people who don't are often already stigmatized as being uncool, it's pretty easy to perpetuate this delusion.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I think a lot of it is ego self-defense. Knowing that other people don't have a problem with something you do struggle with can be pretty demoralizing, so you act like it's cool to be bad at it so you don't have to feel inferior. For something like math, in which a lot of people struggle and the people who don't are often already stigmatized as being uncool, it's pretty easy to perpetuate this delusion.

well.. I mean.. there's difference between "I honestly struggle with math"

and

"he he I am bad at math!"

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    we're not fucking ants

Are you trying hard enough?

I got a funny story about an ant and a dick but I'm just too damn sober

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor

well.. I mean.. there's difference between "I honestly struggle with math"

and

"he he I am bad at math!"

Right that's my point. The top one requires self-reflection and confrontation of your flaws. The bottom one is avoiding all that unpleasant shit in favor of ego massage.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Though that fragile ego effect can work in your favor when you are the only woman in a classroom full of often barely concealed and often not even concealed misogyny.

No, I am not bad at math. I am great at math. I'm the smartest motherfucker in this room and you will respect that or I will not hesitate to use it as a weapon to cut you. That includes you, jackass CTS professor I had last semester.

Oderint Dum Metuant.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    ... did you shit in his desk or something

edited March 2017
    No, I not only did well in his class, I out shined every other student by such an undeniable margin that it demanded acknowledgement, beat his ideas that women were lesser into a pile of unidentifiable goo, and implied that the only companionship that he could maintain came with an air pump.

edit, I'm still a bit mad about dealing with that shit. :P

Decomposey on
    people who say those things are dumb though

so

you're justified for being angry

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I found maths easy enough up until the point where I didn't, and then I found the effort of trying to learn it too boring, and my maths teacher was really good at maths but not very good at making anyone want to learn maths, not that I particularly deserved the effort but it did result in me neglecting that whole area and I do regret it. I wish I was good at maths. I have made some attempts to learn more advanced maths, but I've forgotten loads of it, online guides are often quite impenetrable I feel, and also after work it's not like I am bouncing around with keen-ness to try and work more at learning maths.

Which is a shame, because I do find some maths quite interesting. Geometry and that, especially.

I can learn math when it's connected to real-world examples and uses. Tell me I can use something in an aspect of life and I'll make the logical connection and BAM now I understand what the equation's pieces are and I've got the hang of it. The math I struggle against the most is math that is not grounded in anything "real" but is instead just pure logic. Proofs and such. The worst thing to try and comprehend is a convoluted equation where nothing actually equals a valid integer and the whole equation is just transforming phantom variables into other phantom variables. I can do normal letters fine, but start throwing in the Greek symbols and hoo boy my eyes are rolling up into the back of my skull.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Back in computer programming class in high school in the very early 00's I was berated for being under average in the grades. I was told that I was living up to the stereotype of women being dumb with computers.

The thing was, I had a 91. The class average was.... 95. I was working with guys who managed to program card games, a criminal car selling game, and other insane feats of programming that the other guys spent their after school lives on. Meanwhile, I followed the KISS method and made an mad lib program.

To be fair, none of the dudes in the class were ever rude to me and loved to help me out.

Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Back in computer programming class in high school in the very early 00's I was berated for being under average in the grades. I was told that I was living up to the stereotype of women being dumb with computers.

The thing was, I had a 91. The class average was.... 95. I was working with guys who managed to program card games, a criminal car selling game, and other insane feats of programming that the other guys spent their after school lives on. Meanwhile, I followed the KISS method and made an mad lib program.

To be fair, none of the dudes in the class were ever rude to me and loved to help me out.

I made a mad lib program in BASIC once. It was the first and last time I felt smart when programming.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I really hate that

Fuck off we can both be tired, it's not a fucking competition

"Man I'm tired I only slept 3 hours last night"

"psshh that's all I ever get"

No it's not you fucking liar, you'd be dead.

I swear I've had this exact exchange like 8 times with different people.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »
    I really hate that

Just one up them again.

"Yeah well I only slept 2 for the past 30 years."

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I mean, crab fishermen in Alaska in the 80s functioned on an average 4 hours of sleep a night for about 20 days in a row, then 4 days off, then 20 days in a row for the better part of 4 months.

It sucks but then there's also amphetamines and coffee. Also once your body actually adjusts to 4 hours of sleep a night you begin to enter REM way faster.

Even if you enter REM quickly that little sleep is going to wreck the body over time.

10 hours of sleep minimum mirite

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    10 hours of sleep minimum mirite

This is me. If I don't get at least 8 I wake up wanting to die.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I really hate that

I used to know people who would only sleep 3 hours a night.

They were meth addicts.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I mean, crab fishermen in Alaska in the 80s functioned on an average 4 hours of sleep a night for about 20 days in a row, then 4 days off, then 20 days in a row for the better part of 4 months.

It sucks but then there's also amphetamines and coffee. Also once your body actually adjusts to 4 hours of sleep a night you begin to enter REM way faster.

Well I'll make an exception for Crab Fishermen in Alaska in the 80s, then

I'm not an unreasonable man after all

everyone else who's response is "that's all I ever get" can fuck right off

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    there are nights where i only sleep 2-4 hours. it's the worst and i feel like i'm going to die the entire next day.

usually follow it up with getting home and instantly falling asleep for 12 hours.

insomnia is bad.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Yeah well I only get three seconds of sleep every two hundred days

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I don't think I'll ever know how much sleep I actually get. You know what? I don't want to know, or even think about it. I'll just keep sleeping until I'm done sleeping or I have to get up for work or whatever. I'm just going to sleep when I feel like I need to sleep for as long as or short a time I can or need to.

Yeah.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the real fun part is when you've been in bed in total darkness for 4 hours and you can sense that morning is coming and please god i just need to get to sleep i have to go to work in 3 hours and then that thought keeps you up for another hour by itself.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    There needs to be a sleep twitter account like that "I can do more push ups than you" twitter account.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Dang I got a headache. I got way back in on some bad habits this winter like drinking soda.

I've only had like 28 ounces today though and I remember that cutting so much sugar from your diet kinda hurts!

Moriveth wrote: »

Yeah well I only get three seconds of sleep every two hundred days

Yet further evidence that you are some sort of strange alien being masquerading as an ordinary human who is also a father

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    wrt actual sleep

I really seriously don't get enough

but there's so much to do in the evenings that by the time the typical evening stuff is finished I'd have, like, a half hour to do something fun if I wanted to get eight hours of sleep

I really just need to find a good balance between 'enough sleep' and 'actually doing enjoyable stuff'.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Yes, change my schedule in the middle of the week so I waste an hour and a half driving around in rush hour traffic when I could be doing anything else constructive with my day.

God-damn-it-all-to-Hell, I don't want to have to go back to the tired routine of checking my schedule every fucking day to make sure I do or do not work; I don't even have the option to make plans to hang out with friends or family a day in advance.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm good at sleeping, it just doesn't really make me feel less tired.

this sleep app I've started using seems kind of dodgy, as it doesn't think I went into REM sleep at all last night but I distinctly remember dreaming.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My sleep has gone totally fucked in the last few weeks, really bad insomnia. Trouble falling asleep and trouble staying asleep. I mentioned it a day or two ago i guess with the melatonin talk (that might have been the job thread??)

This is strange for me as typically i sleep almost "too much", and usually have problems waking up rather than staying asleep.

Al_wat on
This discussion has been closed.