As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Face Value

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Face Value

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    I'm with Tycho on this one.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    To be honest, this is more Bethesda to me than Bioware

• motorfireboxmotorfirebox Registered User regular
    Haha, panel two.

Personally, after the ME3 ending debacle, I'm done with the franchise for a while. If Andromeda gets amazingly fantastic reviews, I might pick up the GOTY version on sale maybe.

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    So is that an over-rotated neck or a front-mounted ass on Tycho? I prefer the latter interpretation.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well it seems Andromeda has top notch graphics, gameplay, and dialogue. It's just that the animations mess up occasionally. I can live with that!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • EsteedEsteed Registered User regular
    Agentflit wrote: »
    So is that an over-rotated neck or a front-mounted ass on Tycho? I prefer the latter interpretation.

Clearly he's forgotten the lesson Gabe learned so long ago...

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Haha, panel two.

Personally, after the ME3 ending debacle, I'm done with the franchise for a while. If Andromeda gets amazingly fantastic reviews, I might pick up the GOTY version on sale maybe.

Yeah, about that..

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/mass-effect-andromeda/critic-reviews

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Kwisatz Haderach Kwisatz Haderach The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it. Registered User regular
    Hmm... pretty sure it's actually pronounced GIF.

Oh my god people... how is this still a debate? It's GIF. It's always been GIF... god!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Choosy moms choose jpg.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    i forgot about any new Mass Effect and then the first thing I saw about it was how its "fans" were harassing its animators for being women

maybe i'll just play Horizon again...

• FITorionFITorion Registered User regular
    So... since I too have not seen them... not because I'm avoiding spoilers... but because I don't care... I assume the way they are drawn in the first two panels is meant to reflect the content of the gifs? (pronounced as a g not a j... these aren't peanut butter)

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    FITorion wrote: »
    So... since I too have not seen them... not because I'm avoiding spoilers... but because I don't care... I assume the way they are drawn in the first two panels is meant to reflect the content of the gifs? (pronounced as a g not a j... these aren't peanut butter)

I think that is just Mike showing Gabe & Tycho's emotions. I believe the issue with the Mass Effect characters is a lack of expression.

YoungFrey on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah pronounced as a g like in giraffe or Germany.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think Mike was just "Y'know what? Today, Gabe and Tycho are gonna be gettin' wacky in these first 2 panels."

H9f4bVe.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The way those first two panels are drawn is fucking great.

• OtieOtie Registered User regular
    Looks like the material used in forming their faces has gone soft.

• TubeTube Registered User admin

Shut up please. This is the most tedious argument the internet has to offer.

• JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I think that is just Mike showing Gabe & Tycho's emotions. I believe the issue with the Mass Effect characters is a lack of expression.

No he was right in his initial assertion: it's about general animations being fairly wonky. I won't post them since apparently a bunch of people are actively seeking to avoid them, but walking animations especially have been pretty goofy.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Panel two Gabe reminds me of Water King Gabe, because of the eyes. :D

kabs9av4tu2z.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Holy shit panels 1 and 2 are amazing, ahahaha. Can't say I super agree with the comic though...

Animations can be and frequently are goofy, but the dialogue is bog standard ME, the graphics are suuuuper pretty, and the gameplay is the best in the series.

• WarforgedRusWarforgedRus Registered User regular
    Why is Tycho spending 6 hours with ME for toddlers when Torment 2 (Tides of Numenera) is out AND getting great reviews for the writing and characters? Great writing AND longlongago well known brand (with most of the same writers back). Not even a mention so far in his words... as I've read them... though he hides some of them in dark places I can't pay the soul cost to delve.
    https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

• OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    Why is Tycho spending 6 hours with ME for toddlers when Torment 2 (Tides of Numenera) is out AND getting great reviews for the writing and characters? Great writing AND longlongago well known brand (with most of the same writers back). Not even a mention so far in his words... as I've read them... though he hides some of them in dark places I can't pay the soul cost to delve.

That would be occultism in our Penny Arcade and we just can't have that!

• LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    Is the art style trying to be meta and reflect the ridiculous JIFs out there? If so, bravo for the "exorcist headspin" Tycho.

• CreepingBriar CreepingBriar Registered User new member
    Torment 2 (Tides of Numenera) is out AND getting great reviews for the writing and characters? Great writing AND longlongago well known brand (with most of the same writers back).

Bless you, I would have never known. BRB drowning in a sea of joyous tears.

• J. D. MilknutJ. D. Milknut Lord of Chipmunks Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Is Mike okay?

gekm71tpnnd5.gif
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I imagine he can do both.

• Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    GIF is pronounced GIF the way GUI is pronounced GUI.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I'm sorry everyone is making fun of andromeda and I just want to play it

Also HOLYFUCKBALLS TORMENT 2 WHY WASNT THIS RELEASED TO GRAND FANFARE AND APLOMB???

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Jakk Frost wrote: »
    GIF is pronounced GIF the way GUI is pronounced GUI.

Eh, tomato, tomato.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Gif is pronounced "hail satan"

Kagera wrote: »

Also HOLYFUCKBALLS TORMENT 2 WHY WASNT THIS RELEASED TO GRAND FANFARE AND APLOMB???

I'll give Torment 2 some fanfare when they patch it to not run like rotten asshole on PS4...

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Because the final release client is just okay, rather than the glorious return of cRPGs as was promised.

• The InfraThe Infra Registered User regular
    Agentflit wrote: »

As much as I want a universe with Front-Mounted Asses, I think the context of Mass Effect makes it an Over-Rotating Head

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Shut up please. This is the most tedious argument the internet has to offer.

On the other hand, it's pretty hilarious every time Mike and Jerry get into it on the podcast.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Because the final release client is just okay, rather than the glorious return of cRPGs as was promised.

As a huge fan of the original Torment, I was really disappointed in it.

It nails "Weird RPG in a very different setting" part, but none of the amazing and compelling writing/philosophy that underpinned what made Torment genuinely great. There is nothing coming from it as profound as the "What can change the nature of a man" from Torment.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    whoda thunk that the best-written RPG this month would be the sequel to nier

liEt3nH.png
    I don't really think Automata counts as an RPG. It's "good" writing is debatable as well, IMO.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I don't really think Automata counts as an RPG. It's "good" writing is debatable as well, IMO.

On the internet, everything is debatable.

(Or is it?)