As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Southpaw Regional [chat] is the coolest ever

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Easily the worst thing about living on the East Coast is that when things release at midnight eastern, it's in my time zone. If I lived in CA still I could play ME at 9pm and instead I will not be able to play it really at all tonight because I have to work early in the morning.

This is the worst thing that has ever happened to a person ever

Look on the bright side. When the world is fully urbanized and we all live in caves of steel, time zones will cease to matter.

i'm looking forward to next semester when my earliest class will be at 10 am, but it's at the school that is a 10 minute drive from my apartment.

I don't have to teach until 10 tomorrow, but I have to drive an hour and a half first.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The comb the desert scene is very quotable when you're playing a hidden movement board game like Whitechapel.

"We ain't found shit!"

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I have decided that many of Microsoft's products and install processes are actual war crimes

Oh is that fresh Win 7 install done already? Great, this machine will be back up and running in no ti-Installing update 14 of 472.

Why Microsoft doesn't do sub-service pack level releases that act as aggregators of all that shit is beyond me.

Windows 10.1.0, 10.1.2, 10.1.3, etc.

not that I have a preference for systems like this or anything... but outside of corporate AD bullshit where they need to control the rollout of each patch, there is absolutely no reason for the way they do it now, and no reason that the consumers need to suffer through it. Period.

uh just have friends who work at microsoft

then when you need to install windows you don't need to jump through a million hoops to get an image even with your legit key

they just grab you the latest build bam easy

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    but seriously,

they do seem to have gotten better with win10
    I did a fresh install for a friend a couple of weeks ago off of an old USB
    it ran the most recent big update ("your files are right were you left them" OMINOUS)
    and then only one reboot after that

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    desc wrote: »
    Spaceballs was mid tier though

It's not even close to Young Frankenstein

Spaceballs is funny, but it's definitely below Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles. Closer to on par with with To Be or Not to Be and Silent Movie.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    The comb the desert scene is very quotable when you're playing a hidden movement board game like Whitechapel.

"We ain't found shit!"
    Truly, a universal situation that would apply to everyone and not just nerds, eh? EH? :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Anyway, as for videogame v movie reviews:

I don't care about the difference in scale.

You can generally understand both scales pretty well, and since game critics aren't generally also acting as movie critics it doesn't matter that the scales are incongruent.

Further, gaming also tends to put out far more ireedeemable crap than movies, justifying the inflation of acceptable games. If movie theaters frequently showed movies that sometimes lost audio or contained five minute shots of the camera operator's feet, it'd be more justified to consider "it is coherently a movie" as worthy of an above 60% score. Plus, the quantization of high scores allows room to distinguish a 10/10 from a 9.5/10 in a way that you can't with 3 versus 4 stars.

eh plenty of films released are on that level of terrible, though yeah buggy shit in an AA game is bizarre.

I think the scales are fine, I think that the greater investment and the more diverse preferences of gamers due to diversity in play create a different perception. Plopping down 60 bucks makes for angry folk when a game is not to their liking, and perhaps we just need to adopt a rule that says "subtract 25% of the score if you're not a fan of the genre".

like, lots of reviewers act on the Ebert principle of judging based on what the game sets out to do, but aggregate sites can't deal with nuance like that. Do you subtract points for including a limited inventory even though fans of the series like that shit? Can you accurately reflect how good a new Zelda game is relative to all other games, even though people hate it or love it, or can you only do it relative to other zelda games? (eg, a 70% zelda game is still an instant buy for fans, even though it probably should be avoided if you're neutral to the series)

films are easier because they provide a less diverse experience (shorter and always passive), and because people are already more sure of what genres they like or hate.

I don't think I'd say movies tend to be "as bad" as some buggy games; a game with a 40-50% is likely to be nearly nonfunctional in some major ways.

Still, this reminds me that one DBZ fighting game got rated "6.5 if you don't like Dragonball, 9.5 if you do" by Game Informer; basically, "this is dumb unexplained anime shit like the series to like the game."

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    gj0SrRV.jpg
    Oh my God Elliot pls But after way more playing than I expected to be necessary
    kFeAo9W.jpg
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD

• Options
    uh I'm pretty sure you're an iridium god

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I really disliked weapons systems in general in BF1.

There were like 3-4 weapons per class or something. But then three variations of each of those, but for a large part those variations felt either pretty meaningless or that one of them was just objectively better.

Also no modifications whatsoever to apply. I get that acogs probably weren't really common in 1917 but still, it felt like it was missing something.

The war bonds someone mentioned were to 95% just earned from leveling up the player class, not just participating in games. So it was really slow going.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have decided that many of Microsoft's products and install processes are actual war crimes

Oh is that fresh Win 7 install done already? Great, this machine will be back up and running in no ti-Installing update 14 of 472.

Why Microsoft doesn't do sub-service pack level releases that act as aggregators of all that shit is beyond me.

not that I have a preference for systems like this or anything... but outside of corporate AD bullshit where they need to control the rollout of each patch, there is absolutely no reason for the way they do it now, and no reason that the consumers need to suffer through it. Period.

They do do that! Service Packs. And you can definitely make an install CD with all the updates rolled into it.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I love windows 10 except for this one issue. driver related, dumb sound card.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    QugsymNl.jpg

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    QugsymNh.jpg

Rekt

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

"We ain't found shit!"

That movie has some of the best and funniest dialogue ever

The exchange about watching radar

The "then" and "now" exchange

Basically always funny

Although the hardest I have laughed at anything ever was the solid no dialogue and just farting in Blazing Saddles. Every time it is so funny I can't breathe.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    For many, the moment when Mongo punches the horse was life changing.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    my mouse also randomly didn't work twice last night, had to unplug and replug

it almost feels like somehow the mouse and soundcard are getting mad at each other

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    For many, the moment when Mongo punches the horse was life changing.

Mongo punching the horse is singularly more funny that some entire comedy movies. (At least if you're watching it for the first time.)

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

They do do that! Service Packs. And you can definitely make an install CD with all the updates rolled into it.

the cycle between service packs is such that you go through a bit of pain between those iterations on fresh installs.

Also, it was my experience that often you need to download updates just to get ready to install the SP. Which is dumb and it sucks.

Also, Microsoft has a storied history of not letting me use my original cd key on an SP2 image

If they have gotten better about this that is awesome. But historically this is one of the worst parts of dealing with Microsoft's OS.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I've been busy working and working on my ACLU volunteer stuff

but I've been glancing at twitter

This Intel hearing be like colbertpopcorn.gif , yo.
    My favorites:

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I've never seen Blazing Saddles.

• Options
    We've gone plaid!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

"We ain't found shit!"

It's the low point in a pretty stellar career. Shawn Wayans would kill for his career to have that as it's peak.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Why did I buy all these amiibo for Zelda? All I ever get is arrows...

Houn on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

you should - it is a great movie, even as it is somewhat an artifact of the time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

It's one of the few that seems to get better every time I see it because age effects what you find funny.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

It is fantastic. If you like comedy at all, then it's a must see.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

"We ain't found shit!"

It's the low point in a pretty stellar career. Shawn Wayans would kill for his career to have that as it's peak.

I actually don't know what Tim Russ has done outside that and Star Trek

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Save scum. use amiibos then quit out of the game before it saves. Relaunch and use them again until you get what you want

• Options
    My favorite aspect of Blazing Saddles is that it continues to become more inappropriate as it ages. It's grand.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Anyway, as for videogame v movie reviews:

I don't care about the difference in scale.

You can generally understand both scales pretty well, and since game critics aren't generally also acting as movie critics it doesn't matter that the scales are incongruent.

Further, gaming also tends to put out far more ireedeemable crap than movies, justifying the inflation of acceptable games. If movie theaters frequently showed movies that sometimes lost audio or contained five minute shots of the camera operator's feet, it'd be more justified to consider "it is coherently a movie" as worthy of an above 60% score. Plus, the quantization of high scores allows room to distinguish a 10/10 from a 9.5/10 in a way that you can't with 3 versus 4 stars.

eh plenty of films released are on that level of terrible, though yeah buggy shit in an AA game is bizarre.

I think the scales are fine, I think that the greater investment and the more diverse preferences of gamers due to diversity in play create a different perception. Plopping down 60 bucks makes for angry folk when a game is not to their liking, and perhaps we just need to adopt a rule that says "subtract 25% of the score if you're not a fan of the genre".

like, lots of reviewers act on the Ebert principle of judging based on what the game sets out to do, but aggregate sites can't deal with nuance like that. Do you subtract points for including a limited inventory even though fans of the series like that shit? Can you accurately reflect how good a new Zelda game is relative to all other games, even though people hate it or love it, or can you only do it relative to other zelda games? (eg, a 70% zelda game is still an instant buy for fans, even though it probably should be avoided if you're neutral to the series)

films are easier because they provide a less diverse experience (shorter and always passive), and because people are already more sure of what genres they like or hate.

I don't think I'd say movies tend to be "as bad" as some buggy games; a game with a 40-50% is likely to be nearly nonfunctional in some major ways.

Still, this reminds me that one DBZ fighting game got rated "6.5 if you don't like Dragonball, 9.5 if you do" by Game Informer; basically, "this is dumb unexplained anime shit like the series to like the game."

shit like asylum and other bargain straight to dvd shit is on that same level, i'd argue. though perhaps the mediums are too different and unwatchable doesn't really translate to unplayable.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Save scum. use amiibos then quit out of the game before it saves. Relaunch and use them again until you get what you want

oPVj9IG.jpg

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I haven't used any amiibos yet.

Don't know if I ever will, because I will not buy tchotchkes for a system I primarily plan to use when mobile.

C'mon nintendo, digital amiibos with OS level support ala Miis. Get on it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    My favorite aspect of Blazing Saddles is that it continues to become more inappropriate as it ages. It's grand.

Reminds me of myself

• Options
    I watched 2 Fast 2 Furious last night and that movie was pretty much terrible, but I hear it's the low point.

Tonight I will try to watch Tokyo Drift, which sounds like a high point for the series, but in a ridiculous way.

I will be disappointed if there are not blue sparks.

Themes so far:
    F&F: I'm a cop!
    2F2F: I'm not a cop!

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

"We ain't found shit!"

I actually don't know what Tim Russ has done outside that and Star Trek

Cop Rock!

But seriously, the dude works constantly. But the vast majority of his roles are "That guy!" roles.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I watched 2 Fast 2 Furious last night and that movie was pretty much terrible, but I hear it's the low point.

Tonight I will try to watch Tokyo Drift, which sounds like a high point for the series, but in a ridiculous way.

I will be disappointed if there are not blue sparks.

Themes so far:
    F&F: I'm a cop!
    2F2F: I'm not a cop!

Watch the first one. Then jump to the fifth one. Hell I'm pretty sure Tokyo Drift can't even be fit into the movie chronology at this point.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    And Tim has been about the only consisted trek voice actor in the MMO.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

It's one of the few that seems to get better every time I see it because age effects what you find funny.

It would be utterly impossible to make today. I think it was just mostly impossible to make at the time it was made.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    lost track of time and went to get lunch right before the cafeteria closed. sandwich guy made my lunch, then his. the amount of care that went into his that did not go into mine was breathtaking. he used only the finest cuts of meat while I got shredded scraps. his veggies were crisp and perfect and all nicely aligned to hold together. My sandwich had fallen apart before he handed it to me.

I was happy before I saw him make his but now I know mine is trash. I demand a redo.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
This discussion has been closed.