As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Zelda] thread broke! Time to use the good weapons, I guess.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    what are the fairies doing with those rupees

Its a donation of faith. Its more of a japanese thing simplistically money offerings literally means the god owes you a favor and you're confirming your belief in them which gives them power

It reminds me of the fairy pool in A Link To The Past, where you could throw a bunch of rupees in, and eventually you'd accumulate enough that the great fairy would appear and upgrade your quiver or bomb bag. But if you didn't know ahead of time how much, you were basically chucking your money away on faith.

The example in this game actually works quite well from this angle. Before you actually fork over the rupees, the de-powered great fairies actually sound kind of evil what with the distorted voices and the kind of ominous wording of things. Giving them the money is basically you saying you believe that they are who they say they are, in spite of appearances.

Yeah it really seems framed as an ironic twist that is instead played straight.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    so in the meantime, where should I go to sell?

Kakariko maybe?

Also, I remember hearing you could sell 5 hearty durians for top dollar, where is that?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Well, the only reason I'm going to the guerudo village due to the fact I went to tarry town.

Blake T on
    guys

I've been playing for well over 30 hours now

I'm not sure I'll ever finish the game

and I don't care

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    guys

and I don't care

yes it's...really special

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »
    guys

and I don't care

yeah I'm at something aggressively stupid. like 70

and I'm just now starting to worry that I might run out of content. this game is brilliant

Vladimer on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So is it better to use Prime Meat in a dish or just roast it? Because I made some dishes with it expecting top dollar and instead I'm getting more money from raw meat and honey + three whatever spices.

Ganon might just...actually rule this world forever, possibly.

By the way fuck shock arrows. Fuck them so much. They can miss me entirely but then when I strafe and touch it ON THE GROUND it will still detonate and make me drop everything.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Electricity making you drop stuff is the most annoying shit

2x39jD4.jpg
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Electric enemies exist specifically to make me go "No, nope, it is now ice arrow/bomb arrow time"

dN0T6ur.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Electric enemies exist specifically to make me go "No, nope, it is now ice arrow/bomb arrow time"

I think this what the spring-loaded hammer was designed for

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    So is it better to use Prime Meat in a dish or just roast it? Because I made some dishes with it expecting top dollar and instead I'm getting more money from raw meat and honey + three whatever spices.

best thing to do is just cook five prime meats together and sell it for 210

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I never got the hang of dodging or partying the mini guardians, their animations always throw me off

I just run behind them, then when they start laser spinning use the updraft to fly up and pelt them with slowmo arrows and then wail on them when I land to kill them before they can charge up their big laser

This major test I just did didn't have any pillars to hide behind, but the floor was covered in water. So I used my thunder blade or whatever the hell it's called to just zap the guy repeatedly (shock arrows work too). I imagine they do that anyway, water on the floor or not, but it was a handy way to buy time if I needed it.

Their animations are jerky, but there's a nice rhythm to their swings that you can lock into. The spears sort of fuck me up though, and the reason I think I haven't nailed parrying other enemies is because they're a lot less predictable in their movements.

I used Cryonisis to make pillars.

This is how I found out that Cryonisis pillars are damn near unbreakable except with Cryonisis (or swimming under them).

Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I never got the hang of dodging or partying the mini guardians, their animations always throw me off

I just run behind them, then when they start laser spinning use the updraft to fly up and pelt them with slowmo arrows and then wail on them when I land to kill them before they can charge up their big laser

This major test I just did didn't have any pillars to hide behind, but the floor was covered in water. So I used my thunder blade or whatever the hell it's called to just zap the guy repeatedly (shock arrows work too). I imagine they do that anyway, water on the floor or not, but it was a handy way to buy time if I needed it.

Their animations are jerky, but there's a nice rhythm to their swings that you can lock into. The spears sort of fuck me up though, and the reason I think I haven't nailed parrying other enemies is because they're a lot less predictable in their movements.

I used Cryonisis to make pillars.

This is how I found out that Cryonisis pillars are damn near unbreakable except with Cryonisis (or swimming under them).

or if the water level changes

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Gotta praise the fact that the ingredients and other items in that part of the inventory stack to at least 3 digits. I expected stuff to start separating into individual stacks at 10, then at 100, and now I have no idea.

Shorty wrote: »

Guess I'll go depopulate the forest.

Also I found a neat, possibly unintended trick. Turn on Stasis and it highlights all the objects I can interact with, so I can spot weapons and ingredients laying on the ground in dark places and after a hectic battle.

Also I found a neat, possibly unintended trick. Turn on Stasis and it highlights all the objects I can interact with, so I can spot weapons and ingredients laying on the ground in dark places and after a hectic battle.

This is 100% an intended possible use for Stasis (and also magnesis but just for metal stuff)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

there's also a dude who buys raw gourmet meat for 100 a pop at the outskirts stable

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

This is 100% an intended possible use for Stasis (and also magnesis but just for metal stuff)

I used this in the pitch dark forest shrine.

guys all I am doing is thinking about getting home from work and playing more of this game.

edited March 2017
    I have no idea how I was intended to do this one shrine last night, but I got it done a particular way.
    It was basically a sloped pachinko board with water flowing down it and boulders rolling. To the side is a hole an orb goes into, with the orb at the top of the board. I Cryonis'd my way to the bonus chest, then to the glowing orb at the top. Stasis on the orb, smacked it with a hammer, and hauled ass back down. When the orb reached me, just before it tumbled into oblivion, Stasis on it again, smack to the side, and off it went past the hole. Took me a couple more whacks with a lance to get it in the hole after that but otherwise only took one attempt.

I think that may have been how you're supposed to have done it? I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to Cryonis slope it into the hole naturally. And there's all these ramps up top too that were superfluous.

Madican on
    I have no idea how I was intended to do this one shrine last night, but I got it done a particular way.
    It was basically a sloped pachinko board with water flowing down it and boulders rolling. To the side is a hole an orb goes into, with the orb at the top of the board. I Cryonis'd my way to the bonus chest, then to the glowing orb at the top. Stasis on the orb, smacked it with a hammer, and hauled ass back down. When the orb reached me, just before it tumbled into oblivion, Stasis on it again, smack to the side, and off it went past the hole. Took me a couple more whacks with a lance to get it in the hole after that but otherwise only took one attempt.

I think that may have been how you're supposed to have done it? I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to Cryonis slope it into the hole naturally. And there's all these ramps up top too that were superfluous.

if it's the one I'm thinking of
    There's water flowing down the wall as well, so to get the ball off the podium you cryo the waterfall behind it which pushes it down. Then I had two cryo statues that guided it close to the exit and then had the similar conclusion that you did with stasis.

So not too different but you didn't have to stasis it down.

cursedking wrote: »

if it's the one I'm thinking of
    There's water flowing down the wall as well, so to get the ball off the podium you cryo the waterfall behind it which pushes it down. Then I had two cryo statues that guided it close to the exit and then had the similar conclusion that you did with stasis.

So not too different but you didn't have to stasis it down.
    I used Stasis up top to give me time to run back down to the bottom and wait.

cursedking wrote: »
    guys all I am doing is thinking about getting home from work and playing more of this game.

same here

I find myself semi-hoping that my son was bad at school so he can't play

because then I can play more

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    It's incredible how much time you can spend running around one little pocket of the map. I spent three hours or so last night in the Gerudo Highlands following the U-shape of the mountains, and was finding stuff to do left and right. Shrine here, camp there, Lynel to run away from over there. And the whole time, I was sort of ill-equipped for the weather, having not as many cold resistance dishes as I should've. So when I was running around, I had to keep my one fire weapon equipped to keep my temperature up, and if I was in battle, well... I had to tough it out.

There's still more of the mountains I need to check out, though. And for a lot of the time, I was running along with a perfect view of the area north of the mountains, which looked dense and lush and full of stuff to check out. So tantalizing.

• seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular

I stasis-knocked it along the top lip and then stasis-knocked it down the elevated side ramp on the bowl side -- when I hit it enough to get enough velocity, it sailed cleanly over the gap and landed where I could casually poke it into the bowl. It was pretty fiddly though and took me a couple of tries to get it going the right speed to not fall into the gap, so I don't think it was the "right" solution either.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I used cryonis to guide to to the bottom, stop it, then put a block under it to pop it up and over the slops into the slot

I only used stasis to hold it still while I set up the blocks

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    So I'm planning the second run already, and trying to figure out an order of activity after the plateau to assist with a 100% completion (all shrines, all equipment max, and god save me, the compendium and korok seeds). It won't be a speedy process but just something to casually plug at over the course of months

I don't see wanting to do hard mode unless there's some major reward. But come to think of it I may want to wait and see if there IS a reward.
    1. Leg it to Kakariko and then to Hateno Lab to get the camera and compendium features unlocked
    2. Zora - Mipha's ability is handy for surviving and so is the Zora armor for swimming
    3. Rito - for the Snowquill armor and Rivali's for easier exploring
    4. Gerudo - To get the heat resistant gear that'll help for part of the climb up Death Mountain
    5. Goron - The fireproof stuff isn't really necessary anywhere else

But in general clearing the dungeons early and making sure I don't miss out on the photos before going through and exploring the scenery, I think

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    SilverWind wrote: »
    But in general clearing the dungeons early and making sure I don't miss out on the photos before going through and exploring the scenery, I think

This just reminded me that I once again forgot to get the dungeon photo

shit

2x39jD4.jpg
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Apparently you can buy the boss photos (as you can buy the regular photos)

So maybe I just want to completion this file????

Method to do so... apparently
    "Once you beat Ganon you get a savefile with a Star. In that one you can buy from a new category called "Boss" that is lined in golden and costs 500 rupees per picture instead of 100. It has all forms of Ganon plus the Silverskinned Monsters."

Says somebody. I guess I should double check that when I get home.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I have a quick question - I've been really curious about exploring Hyrule Castle. I'm three dungeons down, and feeling pretty well equipped. I'm not wanting to tackle the end game, but I do want to look around and see what's going on in it some.

My question is this: Is it possible for me to accidentally stumble into the end-game while I'm in there? I don't want to accidentally end the game or anything.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I have a quick question - I've been really curious about exploring Hyrule Castle. I'm three dungeons down, and feeling pretty well equipped. I'm not wanting to tackle the end game, but I do want to look around and see what's going on in it some.

My question is this: Is it possible for me to accidentally stumble into the end-game while I'm in there? I don't want to accidentally end the game or anything.

Just don't go to the big room at the top

PNk1Ml4.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    WheatBun01 wrote: »

Just don't go to the big room at the top

It's clearly labelled on the map, too.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So if youre bold you can get some late game weapons really early
    You can raft into the west side of Hyrule castle to a water level cave called the docks. Theres some lizals but you can avoid them. At the top of the chamber you light a pyre and a shrine appears you cant beat it but its a nice warp point. Avoid the jail its all black and silver baddies and a boss. Head up to the library theres tons of metal blocks to kill lizals and a hidden ore room with some goron gear. Its a bit of a walk but you'll eventually find a guard house. There is a trove of gear here if its grey its strong but fragile but theres royal gear too. Theres some more stuff but you should be full now . Its easy enough to return after a blood moon. Once you have decent armor you can farm the lock up too.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    So I'm planning the second run already, and trying to figure out an order of activity after the plateau to assist with a 100% completion (all shrines, all equipment max, and god save me, the compendium and korok seeds). It won't be a speedy process but just something to casually plug at over the course of months

I don't see wanting to do hard mode unless there's some major reward. But come to think of it I may want to wait and see if there IS a reward.
    1. Leg it to Kakariko and then to Hateno Lab to get the camera and compendium features unlocked
    2. Zora - Mipha's ability is handy for surviving and so is the Zora armor for swimming
    3. Rito - for the Snowquill armor and Rivali's for easier exploring
    4. Gerudo - To get the heat resistant gear that'll help for part of the climb up Death Mountain
    5. Goron - The fireproof stuff isn't really necessary anywhere else

If I were doing things again I'd do the gerudo last to not have to deal with the assassins popping up when I was trying to get a picture of some bug or whatever

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    I used cryonis to guide to to the bottom, stop it, then put a block under it to pop it up and over the slops into the slot

I only used stasis to hold it still while I set up the blocks

I think this was the intended method. You know in hindsight this really should have been obvious to me considering how often I use Cryosis.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    So people already pointed out the symbolism behind giving a bunch of money to the Great Fairies, which I think is the correct interpretation.

But the thought occurred to me that perhaps Rupees are valuable because they contain whatever form of deep magic that the Great Fairies require to operate. They were initially bartered because they represented, at least in the abstract, something you could take to these powerful mystical beings and exchange for services you couldn't get anywhere else. But then over time the Great Fairies became apocryphal, fewer and fewer people made offerings, and people forgot why exactly these little colored gems were meaningful. But the fact of their use as a medium of exchange remained, and the exchange rates between them had already been established. The Rupee remained Hyrule's money well after their original purpose succumbed to the tides of history.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    and one of the seal vendors will play along

This discussion has been closed.