As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Stealing Hearts & Streams

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    And that skin isn't with the steel book or CE. Or PS3, naturally.

wVEsyIc.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Anyone know if Atlus are putting out one of the pocket guidebooks like they did for 3/4?

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Just found out that P5 releases on a Tuesday. Weird.

Anyway, this is definitely getting a digital release on PS3 in Europe, right? At the moment I can only see the PS4 version on PSN.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Anyone know if Atlus are putting out one of the pocket guidebooks like they did for 3/4?

I think that was just Double Jump. They happily went out of business after turning into complete jerks that blamed all their errors on bad translations

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Anyway, this is definitely getting a digital release on PS3 in Europe, right? At the moment I can only see the PS4 version on PSN.

Tuesday is the big release day in North America (unless you're talking Nintendo), so you're getting a global simultaneous release. :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Just a heads up for Oceanic people, I looked around and couldn't find a listing for PS3 Persona 5 so I asked the distributors:

So yeah, you may need to look into importing if you don't want to buy a PS4 just for it.

Man, I bought a PS4 just for Persona 5. In 2014. When it was supposed to have been released.

omg we get to be persona buddies

I may not get to it right away because Mass Effect.

Tuesday is the big release day in North America (unless you're talking Nintendo), so you're getting a global simultaneous release. :)

Ah, I see. Usually most games come out on a Friday in Europe (which makes much more sense to me).

Just a heads up for Oceanic people, I looked around and couldn't find a listing for PS3 Persona 5 so I asked the distributors:

So yeah, you may need to look into importing if you don't want to buy a PS4 just for it.

Man, I bought a PS4 just for Persona 5. In 2014. When it was supposed to have been released.

/blacklist

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

/blacklist

The way I see it, I have 2 weeks to beat Mass Effect, because when I get home from work on April 4th, it will be Persona time and remain Persona Time until Persona is completed.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

Ah, I see. Usually most games come out on a Friday in Europe (which makes much more sense to me).

Yeah, it really does make more sense. I have no idea why it's Tuesday here. "Congrats, your new game will taunt you for the rest of the work/school week!"

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.

I would find out who is distributing it in your region and check, because it is not in Australia.

I think that was just Double Jump. They happily went out of business after turning into complete jerks that blamed all their errors on bad translations

That was the group.

Sorry to hear that on both counts, those little pocketbooks were handy for pulling things up in a pinch.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Yeah, it really does make more sense. I have no idea why it's Tuesday here. "Congrats, your new game will taunt you for the rest of the work/school week!"

From the publisher's standpoint, that's preferable to "Congrats, your new game has issues that will taunt you for the rest of the weekend until the programmers come back into the office on Monday."

We don't push new modules that only impact one of a client's offices/sites to live on a Friday and that's far less reach than a nationally or globally released product.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Nah it ain't got nothing to do with Publishers or developers for that matter.

In the US it pretty much boils down to how sales are counted. Not just for video games either, but movies (home media kind, not box office), new music albums and possibly books too IIRC almost always come out on Tuesday. Monday just happens to be the day most sales figures come out for pretty much anything anyone cares to know sales figures for.

Any benefit developers or publishers might get out of it is just a happy coincidence.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I must have missed this debacle, but their guides definitely took a step down in quality after Disgaea 2's and Raidou's. P3's and P4's were mostly reference guides, hardly detailing EVERYTHING like what you'd expect. P4's in particular was really bad. It barely details anything.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah I remember the editing in the P4 guide was really shoddy compared to P3. Duplicated paragraphs, text errors, etc.

It's still much more helpful than not but it was pretty clear that their standards went way down between the two guides.

cj iwakura wrote: »

I must have missed this debacle, but their guides definitely took a step down in quality after Disgaea 2's and Raidou's. P3's and P4's were mostly reference guides, hardly detailing EVERYTHING like what you'd expect. P4's in particular was really bad. It barely details anything.

they were ok until they set up their own forums then started throwing blame around and misquoting and re-writing what people said to make themselves look like victims

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Axen wrote: »
    Nah it ain't got nothing to do with Publishers or developers for that matter.

In the US it pretty much boils down to how sales are counted. Not just for video games either, but movies (home media kind, not box office), new music albums and possibly books too IIRC almost always come out on Tuesday. Monday just happens to be the day most sales figures come out for pretty much anything anyone cares to know sales figures for.

Any benefit developers or publishers might get out of it is just a happy coincidence.

For some reason over a year ago music new releases (for cd's) got pushed back to Fridays on release week. I don't know why that happened, and if it's only at certain retailers or not, but it happened.

edit: Also if work is actually getting in the PS3 version then I'm getting that, as I don't own a PS4 and keep wanted to buy one for persona, before I remember that it's supposed to be coming for PS3 as well. If my work doesn't have it then I'll go next door to Toys R Us.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
    Some places are breaking street date, apparently.

I don't expect to find one in South Florida, but hey.

wVEsyIc.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Saw this on my Instagram feed and no amount of words express my jealousy

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    do we cringe at pronunciation?

J3qcnBP.png
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

Yeah, we're getting awfully picky about this now. I get there are some of you that speak fluent Japanese or Cantonese, but they are pretty tough to work out for the average American taught entirely different phonetics.

Sometimes you're lucky and you get a Yuri Lowenthal, who does speak Japanese pretty fluently, but most of the time you have to begrudgingly accept that things won't be said perfect and run with it.

And this is coming from a Gust fan who cringes every time everyone in the series can't say the French word Atelier correctly.

wbee62u815wj.png
    I don't blame the voice actors - I DO blame the voice director whose job it is to ensure that stuff like this doesn't happen. It's weird since Atlus managed to do this more or less perfectly in all prior Persona games.

Makes me extra glad that Japanese voices will be available as DLC, cause if this scene is indicative of the rest of the game, then I'll never ever touch the English dub.

edited March 2017
    My cringe o meter must be low compared to you guys

i read so much stuff i had no idea how to pronounce growing up that this barely bearly fazes me

c'est la vie

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    A big part of the appeal in this series is "slice of life in Japan"

Like yeah supernatural monsters and stuff but stuff like basic pronunciation matters to me, it really takes me out of the experience

Kinda wanna do Japanese voices now

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

I know I do whenever I watch a Zero Punctuation video about Metal Gear.

But, hoo, yikes. I have no doubt that the rest of the dub is up to snuff, but somebody should have caught and corrected that during recording. Unless she's mangling the pronunciation on purpose, and the line is being presented out of context...

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Bursar wrote: »

But, hoo, yikes. I have no doubt that the rest of the dub is up to snuff, but somebody should have caught and corrected that during recording. Unless she's mangling the pronunciation on purpose, and the line is being presented out of context...

The character is only half-Japanese, right? It might actually BE part of the character that she's not completely fluent in the language, because she was mostly raised by her non-Japanese side of the family.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »

The character is only half-Japanese, right? It might actually BE part of the character that she's not completely fluent in the language, because she was mostly raised by her non-Japanese side of the family.

Hm, that might be an explanation, but I'm not a fan of that either. I mean, in the English version she is speaking English, but the game still takes place in Japan so "in universe" she's still speaking Japanese, and trying to convey her non-Japanese roots by having her incorrectly pronounce Japanese names on purpose is just a weird choice.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think in the Japanese version she's perfectly fluent in Japanese, so adding that quirk in the English dub makes even less sense.

• EvilpolarbearEvilpolarbear Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Nah, one of the dudes pronounces it like that too, it's the dub's take on 'Sakamoto'.

It's not particularly annoying to me, personally.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR5Y8uRtWxY

Evilpolarbear on
    edited March 2017
    Uh, she kind of actually pronounces it pretty correctly.

For reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw3ncOfXIGs

Axen on

For reference.

So basically people getting pissed because she's not saying it the way we gaijin are used to saying it.

giphy.gif

wbee62u815wj.png
    My cringe o meter must be low compared to you guys

i read so much stuff i had no idea how to pronounce growing up that this barely bearly fazes me

c'est la vie

This happened to me a lot as a kit since I was an avid read.

Enid Blyton loved using the word latter but I could never work out what the context was until one time she slipped up and used former in the same sentence. I remember this vividly because five year old me read that, it finally clicked and I was like "ahah! She slipped up finally!"

edited March 2017
    Quiotu wrote: »

For reference.

So basically people getting pissed because she's not saying it the way we gaijin are used to saying it.

giphy.gif

Pretty much. English speaking people in my experience have a tendency to pronounce Japanese names as two separate syllables. In this case, Sakamoto as Saka-Moto, but that isn't how you actually pronounce it.

I guess it'd be the English equivalent of pronouncing Johnson as John-Son. Like, it kind of sounds right, but in reality the two syllables flow together without a break.

Edit- Oh another fun one is Masamune which I have never heard pronounced by an English speaker correctly. It is more like maSOMune.

Axen on

For reference.

That's not really how she says it though.

edited March 2017
    It is pretty damn close that to my ears I hear no difference and I guarantee you it is WAY closer to the correct pronunciation then whatever that streamer thinks it should be.

Granted, she has a bit American accent when she says it, but I wouldn't knock points off her score for that.

Axen on
    It is pretty damn close that to my ears I hear no difference and I guarantee you it is WAY closer to the correct pronunciation then whatever that streamer thinks it should be.

Granted, she has a bit American accent when she says it, but I wouldn't knock points off her score for that.

I don't know what to tell you, I've heard it pronounced the "other" way a lot more often.

Eh, my parents were second-gen Japanese in America and while I may have never have learned the language of my grandparents I certainly heard names pronounced enough times.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    IMG_6819.jpg

:D

So psyched! Cannot wait to play this tonight!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    cmon VGP

help a brother out

J3qcnBP.png
This discussion has been closed.