As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My advice: don't sign anything ever. That's how they get you.

Also, always wear gloves.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to have an alibi

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wait are we whacking someone

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

What? No. Why would you think this.

Also make sure to wear a mask when handling the lye.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Lotta pussy cats around here, I should stock up on kitty litter.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hahahaha oh cool hey contracting guy, nice of you to show up when I told your agency that we're pulling the plug on you.

Did I say nice? I meant awkward and embarrassing for both of us.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    My advice: don't sign anything ever. That's how they get you.

Also, always wear gloves.

LOjBBkd1.jpg

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man, being off my meds at work suuuucks

like, it's not stressful or anything, just exhausting in general

The best thing I can compare it to (though I hate having to use the comparison) is input lag in a video game

like, my brain wants to do a thing but my body reacts a second later

On the plus side, people love the leftover cake I brought in, so

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Lyft resinstated me as a driver this morning, their email didn't really shed any light on the allegations made by the passenger. Pretty boilerplate language about how they investigated both parties and found that I could be reinstated. I'm hoping the passenger's comments show up on my weekly feedback email later this week.

Meanwhile I've been driving for Uber this morning and it has been interesting, coming from Lyft. Their app is much more granular, you can find a lot more info in the app about how your fares break down and your feedback. They also display surge pricing with much higher detail, the map is covered with hexagons ranging in color from orange to dark red, and if you zoom in close enough you can see the surge rate on each hex. Lyft just shows you varying shades of pink and a banner showing the range of surge across the whole area, you can't see at what rate each individual area is surging.

That said, Lyft's user interface is my preference. They're all about tapping to do things, tap to arrive, tap to drop off, tap to launch navigation. Uber is all about sliding and that is not as conductive when your phone is in a mount. It also doesn't automatically launch my navigation app when I accept a ride or pick someone up, which Lyft does. Uber does eliminate the "tap to arrive" step entirely though, they just notify the passenger when your location is very close to the passenger.

Earnings-wise, I'm doing about as well on Uber as I do on Lyft. Uber is a bit busier and I am almost always in an area of light surge at least, but not being able to receive tips and having 5% more of my fare taken out vs Lyft means that I need those couple extra rides to break even. I'm most curious to see how it is on a weekend night.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I am pleased to announce the amount of fucks I give now come to total of zero.

Gonna stay here until end of August, use them for that sweet sweet cash then bye bye.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Gonna stay here until end of August, use them for that sweet sweet cash then bye bye.

The field upon which you grow your fucks is barren?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

No fuck seeds shall be sown this season.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

Is this going down in a bathroom stall?
    I

PSN: jfrofl

No fuck seeds shall be sown this season.

But enough about my dating life...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Ahahaha I have more of the kids I wrote up two weeks ago in this period.

I am infamous among the 7th graders at this school.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Possibility of a gig here in the LA area and another one out in Dallas. Both seem super interested in me (as I've had past dealings with both people and organizations). I'd just have to say "yep, let's try moving forward on these." The LA one is at a place that I already know is a bit of a trash fire, but with easily correctable things that I can get done to 1) look good and 2) stay in the LA area while I keep hunting.

The Dallas gig means...moving to Dallas and doing pretty much the exact thing I did at TG but for a little less money that I made at TG. And also moving to Dallas, which comes with a fairly high level of complications at this point.

Tomorrow is a call with an SVP at an agency (also in Dallas. wtf) about a role within her organization at possibly the VP level - it's a gig in Dallas but they have offices in LA, so I can hope.

Tomorrow is also a call with a fucking amazing start-up in the LA area that would make this all a bit easier.

I don't rant or rave about this kinda stuff to many people so you all are getting the brain dump. I am fucking scared and unsure and any number of things. Personal life is kinda hinging on professional life and it's just one big fat unknown.

Yet, mentally? In so much better a place than I was working at that place surrounded by those toxic fucking people. Which is saying something considering I've been unemployed for over a month.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Lyft resinstated me as a driver this morning, their email didn't really shed any light on the allegations made by the passenger. Pretty boilerplate language about how they investigated both parties and found that I could be reinstated. I'm hoping the passenger's comments show up on my weekly feedback email later this week.

When you first said they suspended you I did some looking into Lyft's reinstatement process. Well, I couldn't really find much info on that, but one thing I did read is that (supposedly) sometimes other Lyft drivers will leave bad feedback for their competition in a bid to get drivers suspended so they get more fares. Don't know how likely that story is, but I do see that there's a way to leave feedback about unsafe drivers outside the app which could potentially be abused that way. Since it's apparently Lyft's policy to suspend you first and ask questions later, then if this was someone's strategy it worked.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    don't you hate it when you kind of do that head nodding thing falling asleep?

I just caught myself doing it at work.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I had a computer in this room today so I got to surf the internet instead of use my phone constantly.

Yay me.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I picked up a hitchiker on the way home from work. not the safest thing I have done but I didn't get murdered and helped a dude out

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Just sitting here, hoping for good news and trying to decide on which Grad School to go to. I'm leaning towards the one thats harder but you come out with some certs at the end of it because I feel like those are more helpful then just the piece of paper I get at the end.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    and helped a dude out
    of... of his skin????

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Well, this trip has become so discouraging I'm having serious debate about whether or not to continue in engineering

Last night was a 20 hour day struggling to make the hacked together product work that I spent two months saying "no, I do not agree with this choice professionally, this will not work"

Sur-fucking-prise, it isn't

It produces an image but visually looks terrible in the enclosure and lacks symmetry and can easily be moved which throws the image out of whack and a huge host of other issues

The representatives of the company appear to be terribly concerned about it, and I'm willing to bet the boss will heap the blame on me regardless

I know that a lot of this burnout can be attributed to her, and maybe if I was in a company where I had good mentorship and was treated with respect I would still love this field as much as I did... but right now the most I can manage is somewhere between disgust, disdain and despair, so

At the very least the photographer and I had a one-on-one bitching about my boss and I let him know *off the record* that these decisions were made by her, and I fought as hard as I could against them

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Cello wrote: »
    Well, this trip has become so discouraging I'm having serious debate about whether or not to continue in engineering

Last night was a 20 hour day struggling to make the hacked together product work that I spent two months saying "no, I do not agree with this choice professionally, this will not work"

It produces an image but visually looks terrible in the enclosure and lacks symmetry and can easily be moved which throws the image out of whack and a huge host of other issues

The representatives of the company appear to be terribly concerned about it, and I'm willing to bet the boss will heap the blame on me regardless

I know that a lot of this burnout can be attributed to her, and maybe if I was in a company where I had good mentorship and was treated with respect I would still love this field as much as I did... but right now the most I can manage is somewhere between disgust, disdain and despair, so

At the very least the photographer and I had a one-on-one bitching about my boss and I let him know *off the record* that these decisions were made by her, and I fought as hard as I could against them

Hey

you're a great engineer and shouldn't let this asshole make you wanna quit the industry

I'd say use that awfulness to fuel your spite-machine and propel yourself much further into the industry than she'll ever reach

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Engineers come up with a plan to tune some controller parameters.

Techs come and perform the procedure.

Parameters go all fucked.

Techs back out.

Operator now has to clean up mess

(Im the operator)

Need that table flipping emoji

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    and helped a dude out
    of... of his skin????

he experienced the bliss of entropy

Oghulk wrote: »

Hey

you're a great engineer and shouldn't let this asshole make you wanna quit the industry

I'd say use that awfulness to fuel your spite-machine and propel yourself much further into the industry than she'll ever reach

Yup. Cello, your shitty boss is a shitty boss. That's it.

Straight up, from what you tell us it sounds like you're super fucking competent at your job and a good engineer.

Don't let this shitty boss and shitty work environment get you down too much.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I know this is typically a useless comment when you are already exhausted, but lack of sleep is the great magnifier as well.

Also I get the impression that when you have the opportunity to actually do your job well, you really like doing it. Don't let shitty people stand in the way of something you love, or worse, make you resent something you love.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how bad bosses sour everything they come near. Once again I wonder why businesses don't route people like that out just in the name of survival.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Cambiata wrote: »
    It's amazing how bad bosses sour everything they come near. Once again I wonder why businesses don't route people like that out just in the name of survival.

Sounds like this one did, just not in a way that particularly helped the employees.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I really do think I work in a punishment store as some of these Managers are toxic but have some redeeming quality that keeps them employed
    Like the previous overnight manager I had who was busted down from being a store manager for sexual harassment
    And yet he continues it on the shift I used to be on

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

My belief is most of this is the Peter Principle in action where a person is promoted to a point where they become incompetent. Just because a person is a superstar at sales doesn't mean that they will be any good at managing salespeople.

steam_sig.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Hey

when I was leaving my last job I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to do technical work again, because my boss had demoralized me so much and sucked all the fun out of it.
    18 months later and I couldn't bear NOT to be doing this stuff. It is so dependent on your environment.

• RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Goldingit guys, we gotta get on this Booty Crate LLC idea before Koro loses a limb and Cello loses her mind.

tynic wrote: »

Hey

when I was leaving my last job I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to do technical work again, because my boss had demoralized me so much and sucked all the fun out of it.
    18 months later and I couldn't bear NOT to be doing this stuff. It is so dependent on your environment.

this is why I want to open a puppy day care tynic

I will watch your giant goliath dogs

and pet them all day

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    So serendipitously after last weeks removal of my flexitime, i got an official offer letter from an company! It's not something I'm super pumped for - only a hair more money and it's a company i know will drop me in 2 years when the projects done (there is only so much h data science their product needs), but fuck it.

Tomorrow going to have a very frank talk with my current boss, and if give notice if i dislike the answers :)

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The Underwhelming Coworker does not know there is a difference between scfs and actual cubic feet. I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise, but when that and a math error led to them calculating a vapor flowrate of one mile per second in our pipes, I am more than a bit peeved.

We process oil, we don't make oil-railguns!

I ate an engineer
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    The Underwhelming Coworker does not know there is a difference between scfs and actual cubic feet. I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise, but when that and a math error led to them calculating a vapor flowrate of one mile per second in our pipes, I am more than a bit peeved.

We process oil, we don't make oil-railguns!

...Can you?

This discussion has been closed.