As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iron Fist

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Madam Gao should have her own show

if she is (comic speculation spoilers)
    actually the Crane Mother (though that would be complicated by the fact that apparently the Iron Fist is from the order of the Crane Mother, when in the comics she rules a different city?)
    they could call it

a Bird in the Hand

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So it sounds like Lewis Tan had a legit shot of getting the main role.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/lewis-tan-marvel-iron-fist-interview.html

What could have been.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Movie Bob REALLY hated this series.

Quire.jpg
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

What could have been.

Between this interview and another I read with the fight choreographer, I feel like there is an implied issue with Jones being unwilling or unable to commit the time and effort required to do the fight scenes justice. But I could be reading too much into it.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    At like eight episodes in I think that if the fights were better choreographed Iron Fist would be perfectly fine Dumb White Guy Kung Fu Stuff. But they aren't so it isn't.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

actually the Crane Mother (though that would be complicated by the fact that apparently the Iron Fist is from the order of the Crane Mother, when in the comics she rules a different city?)
    they could call it

a Bird in the Hand

Now that I think of it
    With her apparently from K'un Lun and being incredibly old, the fact that there's a monastery named after the Crane Mother doesn't really make it less likely to be her.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

they could call it

a Bird in the Hand

Now that I think of it
    With her apparently from K'un Lun and being incredibly old, the fact that there's a monastery named after the Crane Mother doesn't really make it less likely to be her.
    And sets up the guy who wants to be the Iron Fist to seek out the master of that order to become her Steel Serpent instead.

God, Iron Fist is so much cooler than this show.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So I was watching Movie Bob's review and he mentions the last episode just being a giant finger to the audience.

I quit 2 episodes in, so can someone spoil me the ending?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So I was watching Movie Bob's review and he mentions the last episode just being a giant finger to the audience.

Yeah
    Ultimate living immortal weapon kung-fu master Danny Rand gets in a fight with a 50-something business man and has a hard time before winning. There is a really bad "Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling" joke as he is impaled on a pipe.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

The actual thing he's talking about in the last episode is
    That Danny and Colleen set out to go back to K'un Lun. They get to the pass that Danny was supposed to be guarding, find a number of dead Hand people, and find that K'un Lun is just gone.

That's what MovieBob meant by it being a middle finger to those who wanted more world building out of the series.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Really, what isn't a giant middle finger? :P

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah it's not even the worst Netflix Original show.

I think Madam Gao is great in this (and everything else she's been in). Not because of the writing so much, but her performance is just full of great choices and she's a magnetic screen presence.

I also think Davos is a strong performance, and I agreed with him 100% against Danny.

What could have been.

Between this interview and another I read with the fight choreographer, I feel like there is an implied issue with Jones being unwilling or unable to commit the time and effort required to do the fight scenes justice. But I could be reading too much into it.
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Yeah
    Ultimate living immortal weapon kung-fu master Danny Rand gets in a fight with a 50-something business man and has a hard time before winning. There is a really bad "Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling" joke as he is impaled on a pipe.

Well that last joke was actually a call back from earlier episodes.
    When Harold goes to visit Danny in the hospital, he quizzes him about a song that he use to sing to Danny that Danny really hated. The song was Danny Boy.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

That Danny and Colleen set out to go back to K'un Lun. They get to the pass that Danny was supposed to be guarding, find a number of dead Hand people, and find that K'un Lun is just gone.

That's what MovieBob meant by it being a middle finger to those who wanted more world building out of the series.

Well, that's really something both Danny and the audience should have expected since
    Danny spent the whole show telling everyone that he's the Iron Fist and alerting the Hand that the path to K'un Lun is open and unprotected.

Dedwrekka wrote: »

Well, that's really something both Danny and the audience should have expected since
    Danny spent the whole show telling everyone that he's the Iron Fist and alerting the Hand that the path to K'un Lun is open and unprotected.

Its not that its inconsistent with the logic of the show. It just really sucks.

Quire.jpg
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    When you think about it, the whole Hand plot was pretty much pointless. It made no sense why Danny thought
    he won against the Hand in the end.

Danny knows Bakuto's death meant nothing since they can just bring him back. All he did was destroy two drug labs, that wouldn't have put a dent in the Hand's infrastructure since they were operating all over the world. He beat up a bunch of Hand goons but only a few of them died and none of them were arrested or put in jail so they could be back as soon as their bruises heal. Those Hand assassins from the tournament are still around. Bakuto's compound was empty but that could just mean the students there were moved somewhere else. He cut off the Hand's access to Rand's money but so what? The Hand has people inside Rand using their resources. Gao said that they were using Rand trucks and ships to deliver their drugs to criminals. So they have people in place to use Rand equipment, all they have to do is not put the money from selling drugs into Rand accounts. And as soon as Danny leaves for K'un Lun, the Hand can come back and force the Meachums to help them again. There is no reason for Danny to think that he did anything except temporarily inconvenience the Hand.

KingofMadCows on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Finn Jones says Danny is "several seasons" from wearing the Iron Fist costume by the end of the first season.

A) Preeeetty optimistic there, Finn
    B) Confirms no costume in Defenders, boo
    C) Fuck off with that shit, give him the goddamn suit and mask so we can get a stunt double in there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    why would you not do the costume for Defenders
    what are y'all doing

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    why would you not do the costume for Defenders
    what are y'all doing
    It makes Daredevil stick out like a giant sore thumb

He's the only one wearing a costume!

CYpGAPn.png
    Especially since, Episode 10 spoilers
    We see grainy footage of, presumably, Orson Randall in the suit and he looks totally badass

CYpGAPn.png
    Seriously it feels like they made this show in the 90s.

Quire.jpg
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So has Scott Buck ever done anything good?

You'd think his career would be over after Dexter.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I wish these Marvel shows would stop being afraid of comic books

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

its weird because the fucking movies arent

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    It's so weird too because Daredevil isn't really, everyone has their costumes and the Hand looks like the Hand

But every other show has a strict NO COSTUMES outlook except for, I guess, Diamondback

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It's so weird too because Daredevil isn't really, everyone has their costumes and the Hand looks like the Hand

But every other show has a strict NO COSTUMES outlook except for, I guess, Diamondback

For Jessica and Luke its just consistent with the characters. I have no idea why they are Gothaming Danny.

Quire.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Red Hand ninjas vs green and gold Iron Fist.

Would make any fight scene immediately visually interesting.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yeah jessica and luke aren't really costume folks

but I thought matt and danny would bond over being the two "traditional" superheroes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Nah, Daredevil still is. I mean, he didn't get his costume until the last episode of the first season and Season 2 actually said Daredevil like...five times. They used "The Devil Of Hells Kitchen" so much more. And didn't Give Punisher his skull logo until the last episode.

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are less superheroey looking Than Daredevil and Iron Fist, so it made sense there, with both series at least making references to old costumes and (in Luke Cage's case) using comic book names for the villains. I'll Give Jessica Jones the benefit with calling him Killgrave because that's a better villain name than "The Purple Man"

But if Danny is calling himself the Iron Fist the entire series, put a fucking costume on him.

Not to even mention "THE BIG GREEN GUY" lines

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Diamondback had his flaws but he was VERY comic book

I'm actually OK with people not knowing the hulk has a name but it drives me crazy when they pull that shit with Thor. That guy apparently hasnt been Home since his second movie in the age of Ultron. Are you telling me he took zero interviews?

Quire.jpg
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I can believe that no journalist has ever managed to grab Thor's attention

There are probably a lot of people who know his name in some out of the way dive bars however

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Daredevil had *a* costume since the first episode, it was just a real DIY affair.

If nothing else Iron Fist's costume is both rad as shit and very simple to do! Why wouldn't you get to it as soon as possible!

I can believe that no journalist has ever managed to grab Thor's attention

There are probably a lot of people who know his name in some out of the way dive bars however
    Are you have to do to get Thor talking is get him drunk and he's basically halfway there all the time anyway.

Quire.jpg
    Ben Urich coulda done the job i bet if he ever got the chance
    RIP :(

If I get back in decent shape this year I could probably make my own Iron Fist costume for Halloween

I'm actually OK with people not knowing the hulk has a name but it drives me crazy when they pull that shit with Thor. That guy apparently hasnt been Home since his second movie in the age of Ultron. Are you telling me he took zero interviews?

Look, I didn't want to type "the dude with the hammer and the old guy" because that line is the literal worst

I was describing the Iron Fist backstory for my friend the other day and "plunge your fists into the molten heart of the dragon Shou Lao the Undying" is a phrase which is a thousand times more radical than anything that's happened on the show so far

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Wow that was a bland 13 hours of TV.

I just ended up skipping through the last 3 episodes because I just didn't care much about missing out. Everyone else has nailed my thoughts on it so yeah... what a disappointment. If they do a S2, I can only hope they completely replace the production team because the whole thing from script to sets to choreography just felt so flat.

Also
    Can anyone confirm if they explained why they completely overlooking the fact someone who'd been away 15 years didn't have any questions about what the fuck happened in the world in that time? Specifically all the aliens, gods and iron men that suddenly exist. I can't remember if Danny mentioned whether he could get the latest news in K'un-Lun but it kind of undermines the point of setting these in the MCU if they just cover over everything like it's no big deal.

The dude has been a monk for 15 years, and yet the show never thinks it might be interesting to explore Danny just like

getting excited at the modern world

"Holy shit a hamburger, I remember hamburgers!"

It would've been fun, and would've really built Danny's character as a dude who's totally new to all of this stuff

Which would make him feel like less of a goober once he gets to Rand Corp., because we'd know he's just not equipped to function in the modern world right now.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.