As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mrs Rhesus is on a new Roman excavation, which has so far included:
    • Surprise child skeleton! Turns out young kids would sometimes be buried under the corners of buildings in Roman times, rather than in proper graves. Cue Mrs Rhesus merrily excavating a wall, then boom, ribs everywhere.
    • Possible undead child skeleton! Yesterday they found another child skeleton in the main graveyard part of the excavation which had had its head cut off and put by its feet. One possible explanation is that Romans thought that cutting off a corpse's head would stop it coming back and haunting people and/or help it find its way to the afterlife. They found a mass grave in York a while back where a load of the bodies had also been decapitated.

But my job can be spooky too - one time I spoke to somebody who we thought had been dead for months! As in, somebody had accidentally clicked the "deceased" button on a record. WooOOOoooOOOooo...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    You guys should watch Legion if you aren't already. While not traditional horror the villain is portrayed in a very spooky way and the sound design and visual design are both excellent.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I dearly hope that this isn't CGI...

Campy on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nah. It's just a mass murder. (Or a night roost. Whatever you want to call it.)

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    crows are rad, man

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My dad spookied himself when installing a new microwave and the clock was perfectly in sync with the oven below it hours later

He was like how does it know?????

Turns out he just managed to plug it in at exactly 12:00

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Well, I've got a new monster for a horror game.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Well, I've got a new monster for a horror game.

Stairs in the middle of the forest?

In a strange fit of deja vu, I watched Kill List last night. I think I'd half watched it before, perhaps way too tired and/or inebriated? Either way past me had done myself a disservice. Great film on an apparently small budget. The score was particularly excellent. My sub woofer was putting out all sorts of not-good vibrations, just filling the whole film with bad juju. The script was well written and well executed. Neil Maskell played the "protagonist" really well, I enjoyed him in the series Utopia too (which while not horror, should definitely be checked out).

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Is that the one with Michael Smiley, most Irish of gentlemen? I remember some severely unsettling bullshit in that movie.

Oh brilliant
    Is that the one with Michael Smiley, most Irish of gentlemen? I remember some severely unsettling bullshit in that movie.

Yeah, he's also great in it, smoother and more Irish than a well polished blarney stone.

Unsettling is definitely the way I'd describe the film. It puts you on edge in more ways than the usual horror stuff, with the familial arguing (could be a bit much for people that have anything like that in their history actually) and the way the protagonist as well as the viewer is kept in the dark as to what's actually going on. The scene in that guys kitchen (you'll know it when you see it) is the perfect example of the latter.

I've mentioned it here before, but the unknown and the fear of it is such a powerful tool in the horror genre. Obviously it's very hard to convey in such a visual medium, but when someone gets it right it's awesome.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

#pipe on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    So, is that person dead now and this is found footage?

• Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    So, is that person dead now and this is found footage?

These are the sacrifices we make so that our pic-a-nic baskets may go undisturbed.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Looks like it might not be too bad, just gonna be hard to top Tim Curry as Pennywise.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I'm definitely excited

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Are you fucking kidding me, we got a goddamn IT teaser before one second of official Dark Tower footage

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Man, Its lipstick game is on point.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    What would be really awesome is if the preview image of the video started advancing over time, one frame at a time.

AHHHH THAT TRAILER IS SO GOOD HOLY SMOKES

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Definitely kinda looks a bit more like what some eldritch being would think a Clown looks like. Close but there is something horribly off with it when you get a good look.
    I'm a bit more optimistic about this now that I've seen it in action. The kids look good and looks like they will be going a little harder on the scares. The sink exploding with blood looks like a fountain instead of a blood fart. That girls face got power washed.

Stephen King said in his twitter that this is Part 1 the Losers Club. I didn't realize they were going to piece it out. If this movie stays locked in the past without the constant flash backing the mini-series had I think it will have a more coherent narrative.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I'm still at work so I can't play the video but I assume from the graphic that it's simply a commercial for the Nintendo Timecube.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Psyched to see The Void this weekend.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I'm still at work so I can't play the video but I assume from the graphic that it's simply a commercial for the Nintendo Timecube.

It is the GameCube startup noise 4 billion times and it sounds like a fucking Reaper indoctrination broadcast

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

It is the GameCube startup noise 4 billion times and it sounds like a fucking Reaper indoctrination broadcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssr5x6T-4H4

liEt3nH.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I stared into the void and the void stared back...

I stared into the void and the void stared back...

And then I played smash bros with the void. The void mains Fox.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The Void is on VOD as of today! Has anyone seen it and been bespooked yet? :O

Oh brilliant
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I just finished The Void, and man it was great. Some truly grody practical effects, and it gets going real quick. Highly recommended if you're a fan of Carpenter's Lovecraftian work.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Watched The Void last night and it spooked me good. I thought a towel on the floor in the dark was a mess of Lovecraftian goop and tentacles. Also maybe don't watch it if you or your SO are pregnant.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Xehalus on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Ok, that got me. :)

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Maybe I've gluten too desensitized, but I t thought that was cute.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)