As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: It's (sold) Out!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »
    Once BoI sinks it's claws in, be prepared to never see your family and friends again.

I 100%'ed Afterbirth but haven't touched Afterbirth+.

I wonder if I should start that climb on the Switch, a system I could theoretically actually do 2 player mode on...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Called every Best Buy, Target and Walmart on my drive home from VT to CT yesterday, but no dice. The most hilarious response was a Best Buy representative telling me that they haven’t received any units since March 3 and that they will not be receiving any more until Christmas. The guy at the Best Buy one town over told me they expect to receive new stock within a week.

Thinking about jumping back into Ocarina 3DS or maybe picking up Majora's Mask (which I've never played). Played a lot of Vita this weekend and did some reading, which was nice, but I have a few flights next weekend and I really wish I could get my hands on a Switch!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Thinking about jumping back into Ocarina 3DS or maybe picking up Majora's Mask (which I've never played).

Why are you still here? There should be a GMaster7 shaped hole in the wall right now.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm the guy who keeps yammering on and on about manufacturing logistics and business realities and such, and even I think it's ludicrous to say Best Buy won't get more Switches until Christmas.

As far as the question of how much money the Wii U lost -- I don't think we'll ever know unless some Nintendo exec spills it. Beyond currency fluctuations and the sale of the Mariners and such, the company never has separated out its total revenue streams by system.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    The guy saying they won't get anymore until Christmas is just tired of answering questions about when they'll be in stock and is hoping people will stop calling if he says that.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    The guy saying they won't get anymore until Christmas is just tired of answering questions about when they'll be in stock and is hoping people will stop calling if he says that.

If I were answering the phones at Best Buy I'd probably be feigning ignorance about the Switch by this point, possibly even gaslighting the callers by telling them we've never had such a device in stock.

And I say this as someone who called every store in my city trying to ascertain stock in an attempt to create a cunning plan of getting one on launch day. Ended up that I could have bought one at EBGames in addition to the one I bought at Walmart if I had the cash.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular

We should all call him and offer our sympathies.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Has the Splatoon 2 Testfire Schedule times been posted yet?

https://i.redd.it/4867vwdabkmy.jpg

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Hmm. It's not like the whole weekend? That's strange to me.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Probably server stress testing, trying to get as many people on at once as possible.

I can't see that image from here, can someone post the times? I'm excited, never got to play Splatoon and definitely want to try it out.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Iirc it was like that last time. It's basically a login screen test for most people.

SniperGuy wrote: »

Probably server stress testing, trying to get as many people on at once as possible.

I can't see that image from here, can someone post the times? I'm excited, never got to play Splatoon and definitely want to try it out.

Friday
    12-1 p.m.
    8-9 p.m.

Saturday
    4-5 a.m.
    12-1 p.m.
    8-9 p.m.

Sunday
    4-5 a.m.

All times are Pacific.

Huh, those are oddly short.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Huh, those are oddly short.

like you said

get as many people hammering the servers at once as you can

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oh, I completely forgot! Thanks for reminding me!

S2 demo was up for dload already, right?

I hope that they will give testers a discount like the last time, got my Splatoon for little over 30€... And in my opinion it is a really nice way to reward people who help in testing. Has anyone else done something similar?

But of course now Splatoon is a widely known IP so they probs treat it in the traditional demo way...

Switch sounds a lot better with headphones than Wii U, or so it seems. Everything is more clear. Been listening with Xiaomi Piston 3 in-ears and Superlux HD-330 and BotW sounds just great.

Might be because of the game, but I doubt it. I am fairly sure that Switch has heaps and bounds better sound thing-a-lings than Wii U.

Everything feels so premium with that thing, I just love to hold it and caress it, smelling it's warm breath when it almost inaudibly purrs in my lap...

Oh, that reminds, anyone else can feel the propel when it starts spinning? I can't hear it, but I feel a very soft vibration in the machine. It's not disturbing in any way, and I actually like it. Switch feels like a living creature. Sounds strange, maybe, but it makes it more cuddly and awesome.

Grebnu on
    I really wish the pro controller had a headphone port. That's my only pro controller complaint.

The battery in that thing also lasts forever

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Went against my better judgement and bought Binding of Isaac. It's overpriced, especially since I own it on Steam already, but having the definitive version on mobile mode is pretty great.

If anybody else has it I'd love to have you on my friends list for high scores and such. My code is SW-312500508452.

• Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I just caught up on the thread and saw talk of amiibo, I thought I was done Mr. Resetti was only $1.50 at Best Buy on Saturday.

He's my Switch profile icon so that was my excuse to get him, that and the inevitable use with whatever Animal Crossing Switch turns out to be.

Also walked into a Toys R Us and found three Hori Stands as well as multiple cases, so if anyone is still looking for accessories be sure to check out TRU as they seem to be a forgotten video game commodity.

Venture Industry on
    3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I assume a new Switch shipment went out this week, right? Cause I'm seeing people showing off their shiny new Switches on social media and...it's making the urges bubble up again.

Like on a recent Idle Thumbs, they talked about how they figure buying Zelda and a Wii U is probably the smart choice but it'll be infuriating at the end of the year when Mario turns out to be good and you have to buy a Switch anyway. So that's why one of the hosts just bought a Switch instead even though it's just a Zelda machine

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    I assume a new Switch shipment went out this week, right? Cause I'm seeing people showing off their shiny new Switches on social media and...it's making the urges bubble up again.

Like on a recent Idle Thumbs, they talked about how they figure buying Zelda and a Wii U is probably the smart choice but it'll be infuriating at the end of the year when Mario turns out to be good and you have to buy a Switch anyway. So that's why one of the hosts just bought a Switch instead even though it's just a Zelda machine

This was basically my reasoning. GF and I both wanted to play Zelda, but why get a Wii U since they're still pricey when we can get the new thing for a little bit more?

Plus we can always sell it later if we really feel the need.

edited March 2017
    I really wish the pro controller had a headphone port. That's my only pro controller complaint.

That's quite an exaggeration. I think you're forgetting about the eventual heat death of the universe?

Drez on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

That's quite an exaggeration. I think you're forgetting about the eventual heat death of the universe?

I thought we weren't supposed to have politics in threads like this?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

I thought we weren't supposed to have politics in threads like this?

You cut me off. I was saying "the eventual heat death of the universe and/or rapture."

No wait that's worse

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Gah stupid Switch and stupid BotW have me wanting stupid amiibos. Stupid.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Someone on the Twitter is using the joycon in an interesting way:

I mean, this is cool and all, but most tablets have hotkeys for doing things like this anyway. The Joy Con is doing nothing here you couldn't do without it.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

I mean, this is cool and all, but most tablets have hotkeys for doing things like this anyway. The Joy Con is doing nothing here you couldn't do without it.

I don't think he's trying to say that there aren't other ways of doing it, just that this way is incredibly convenient as it lets you control a whole host of things and fits in the palm of your hand. Try fitting the average tablet in the palm of your hand.

skeldare wrote: »

Oh wow, ARMS looks shit hot. I'm really liking those customization options.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Now that it's come out the switch is just using a stock, downclocked tegra x1 my desire to get one has kinda plummeted. Nintendo's great at using underpowered hardware so I'm sure they'll do amazing things with it, but the price feels like a slap in the face when all they've really done is taken an Nvidia shield TV, slapped A cheap plastic screen on it, slowed it down and called it a day. :bigfrown:

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    I mean, if you're buying consoles the same way you're buying PC hardware, sure. But I don't think that's really the point of these machines.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Now that it's come out the switch is just using a stock, downclocked tegra x1 my desire to get one has kinda plummeted. Nintendo's great at using underpowered hardware so I'm sure they'll do amazing things with it, but the price feels like a slap in the face when all they've really done is taken an Nvidia shield TV, slapped A cheap plastic screen on it, slowed it down and called it a day. :bigfrown:

Yeah that's not even close to describing the Switch.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

This was basically my reasoning. GF and I both wanted to play Zelda, but why get a Wii U since they're still pricey when we can get the new thing for a little bit more?

Plus we can always sell it later if we really feel the need.

Yeah, but like...whatever economic failings have befallen the Wii U, it at least has a catalog of games I'd want to play on it.

I can't justify the Switch if it's got the one game on it that I can play elsewhere and like, a bunch of question marks

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular

I don't think he's trying to say that there aren't other ways of doing it, just that this way is incredibly convenient as it lets you control a whole host of things and fits in the palm of your hand. Try fitting the average tablet in the palm of your hand.

It seems like it'd be an excellent replacement for something like the Surface Dial.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

The new Cintiq Pro line (13 and 16 inch) don't have any keys on the side anymore and the express key thing they sell is an extra $100.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Seriously though, is there some seedy secondary amiibo market I can get in on? I don't want to pay $80 for a piece of plastic.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Seriously though, is there some seedy secondary amiibo market I can get in on? I don't want to pay $80 for a piece of plastic.

Your best bet is probably to develop an obsessive interest in Animal Crossing.

Yes they are called fabiimos abd they are available at a bodega near you *

*not an actual thing.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

if there is, I'd love to hear about it.

The only ones I (my girlfriend really) overpaid for was toon link/zelda 2 pack and OOT link. Sheik and SSB Toon link are impossible for under $75 to $100

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Iirc, the Japanese ones are usually msrp, you'd just need to pay for the shipping

steam_sig.png
    Don't forget the Nintendo Store has some (though not all) of the hard-to-find Amiibos.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Yeah that's not even close to describing the Switch.

The Shield TV is $200, has half the storage and no micro SD slot (USB does work), lacks a 720p IPS touchscreen, and also lacks the battery. Of course it's not like having a battery is something you would need or want on the Shield but it's a necessity to the Switch hardware that does increase the price. I used the Shield controller a few days ago and it's honestly kinda garbage and lacks much of the tech and versatility that the joycons have.

The lack of the screen means you can't play it anywhere, let alone built-in 2 player.

Plus the Shield simply running Android and/or streaming is going to have way more overhead than a custom OS on a console. It couldn't run the games that the Switch does natively.

Given the full package you're paying for, joycons, screen, battery, dock, I think the price is fair in comparison to the Shield. Perhaps not a bargain at this point in its life, but just looking at what is included it seems comparable.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
This discussion has been closed.