As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS EXTINCT! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    ALSO.
    Reynad with a new reveal:

lTAkJQE.png

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is not a good card.

First off, you actually need to have it get discarded. Like, I've lost the 50/50 on whether or not Soulfire discards my Silverware Golem too many times to count. I've played Doomguard with two Silverware Golems in hand and two other cards and the Golems didn't get discarded. It's unreliable.

Second, what happens when your discards discard your other discards? You run out of chances to actually discard this thing, that's what.

THIRD, and most important: It's just a pile of stats. It doesn't do anything other than being a Big Girl. "But VanCleef is the same way!" Yes, but Rogue has many many many zero cost spells and ways to chain multiple cards in one turn to instantly pump it. Zavas is slow. You have to keep discarding it over and over and over. And she actually has to be hit by the discard, as stated in the first point.

I'm, just, unimpressed. Similar to Pyros, I think this card is just plain bad. It's not trashcan, but it's definitely not good. Pile of stats never see real play (outside of something like VanCleef, but he's VanCleef). Remember Paladin's GvG legendary? Yeah, no, you don't, because it was bad and never saw play. Same thing as Zavas, more or less.

I don't think you need to discard it more than once for it to be good. A 2 mana 4/4 is still good, at 6/6 it's great. Big piles of stats don't see play if they are expensive, but this one is dirt cheap. Also the discard mechanic is allready playable, this just fits right in and improves upon it.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The stats on Zavas are almost entirely irrelevant to the card's usefulness, until late game when you're already completed your quest. The card's simply a mandatory puzzle piece for Discard warlock to smooth out the downside of discards.

I don't know how I feel about those Elemental cards. 7 mana conditional Feral Spirits with a 4/4 body is okay I guess, since it doesn't overload and you can chain it into another one? Ozruk is nice removal bait, although he costs 9 mana.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    9 mana removal bait? To protect your 10 drops?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A 2 mana pile of stats loses a lot of impact if it's played later. It's why a turn 4 Mountain Giant is amazing, but a turn 10 Mountain Giant is only fine.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    636256088611038006.png
    636256088066592203.png
    636256086299028889.png
    636256087495344774.png
    That's potentially a very big taunt.

Stone sentinel says "fuck you Cenarius!"

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    They'll never expect the fifth 9 mana card.

ALSO.
    Reynad with a new reveal:

lTAkJQE.png

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is not a good card.

First off, you actually need to have it get discarded. Like, I've lost the 50/50 on whether or not Soulfire discards my Silverware Golem too many times to count. I've played Doomguard with two Silverware Golems in hand and two other cards and the Golems didn't get discarded. It's unreliable.

Second, what happens when your discards discard your other discards? You run out of chances to actually discard this thing, that's what.

THIRD, and most important: It's just a pile of stats. It doesn't do anything other than being a Big Girl. "But VanCleef is the same way!" Yes, but Rogue has many many many zero cost spells and ways to chain multiple cards in one turn to instantly pump it. Zavas is slow. You have to keep discarding it over and over and over. And she actually has to be hit by the discard, as stated in the first point.

I'm, just, unimpressed. Similar to Pyros, I think this card is just plain bad. It's not trashcan, but it's definitely not good. Pile of stats never see real play (outside of something like VanCleef, but he's VanCleef). Remember Paladin's GvG legendary? Yeah, no, you don't, because it was bad and never saw play. Same thing as Zavas, more or less.

There's a critical mass where discard becomes very reliable. This is just one more step in that direction. I don't know if we're there yet, but Blizzard continues to push this and it will break eventually.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yilias wrote: »

To protect whatever impactful late game drop you'd play, but don't really want to get hex'd/whatever.

Like, I wouldn't want to throw 20 attack worth of my creatures into a 5/20 Ozruk, at which point I'd have to weigh: Do I want to turn Ozruk into a Heal 20, deal 5 damage to all opposing minions creature for my opponent? Or should I just hex the fucker? And if it's the latter, he's drawn removal away from more critical late drops.

He...just costs 9 mana. And requires setup. It's bleeeeeh.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    A 2 mana pile of stats loses a lot of impact if it's played later. It's why a turn 4 Mountain Giant is amazing, but a turn 10 Mountain Giant is only fine.

It's not just a pile of stats, it's a way to discard a card without really discarding a card. Think of it like an in-hand malchezzar's imp--it's worse than imp, sure, but imp is nuts and the deck still wants more of that effect.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular

It's not just a pile of stats, it's a way to discard a card without really discarding a card. Think of it like an in-hand malchezzar's imp--it's worse than imp, sure, but imp is nuts and the deck still wants more of that effect.

With imp this card is absolutely amazing since it creates a card draw engine with zero drawback. Of course that means you'll get the correct discard which we all know doesn't happen

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    edited March 2017
    The big downside to Zathras, is that it's a literal dead card in your hand for most of the match.

Do you keep her on turn 1? Your hand would be Quest, Dead Card, other random card. Talk about inconsistent early game.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

yeah it negates risk, the more cards in your deck that you don't actually discard, the better.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Then again, Fist of Jaraxxus is TGT so. :sad:

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The other thing about Zavas is that she is most definitely a Zoo-only Legendary. There's no way you run her in Control Warlock. As large as your handsize is going to be, are you really gonna hit that 1/2 in 8?

So she's for Zoo, that's fine. Does Zoo really want something that slow though? If you keep her in your mulligan, she's a dead card for a bit. If you don't keep her, you're probably going to draw into her too late.

Sure, there's potential to get the nut draw AND the godtier RNG and just pump her up like crazy and then you drop a big fatty for 2 mana, whoa! But that's so incredibly unlikely to happen, ever. Hell, there's Zoo games where I never draw Silverware Golem! And I mean, if you want a big fatty in Zoo, there's always Sea Giant.

I'm unconvinced. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll be the first to admit it. But from where I stand she don't look great.

Edit: Unrelated, but I've been mulling over Stone Sentinel. I've come to the conclusion, yes, that is a good card. Instant board presence on Turn 7 sounds PRETTY good. It's comparable to Call of the Wild, but without the proactivity of being able to trade off Huffer.

Still, though, you get a 4/4 and two 2/3 taunts. That's pretty good, especially for refilling board after a board wipe. Yeah, I think that's a good 'un.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The text I'm interested in for Ozruk is "played" not "summoned."

Someone remind me--"played" is minions that enter the game from your hand, vs. "summoned" who enter the game via any means?

I might have that backward.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Someone remind me--"played" is minions that enter the game from your hand, vs. "summoned" who enter the game via any means?

Nope, you've got it correct.

I'm somewhat sad about the Elemental mechanic, if only in Shaman, since it makes it really hard to follow up Earth Elemental with one of these new Elementals.

Characters
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Fuck, this is going to be an expensive set. I might have to do the preorder just to have enough dust to build a couple of quest decks.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm somewhat sad about the Elemental mechanic, if only in Shaman, since it makes it really hard to follow up Earth Elemental with one of these new Elementals.

I was upset because I thought Shaman was in a great place right now as far as synergies go. Then I remembered trogg and totem golem are rotating out and thank da lawd jeezus.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    wow, i'm totally unimpressed with these elementals that reward tribal stuff.
    i like the mechanic, but there's no reason to play elemental synergy in anything but shaman.

ozruk is cool, but he's a 5/15 taunt on turn 9, which is too late for him being an anti-aggro card, and midrange decks have real removal.
    stone sentinel is legit, midrange shaman is probably still going to be a thing. a thing with a bunch of beefy taunts.

zavas is pretty good, but only because she turns "discard a card" into "don't discard a card and also trigger imp."
    not playable at all in anything other than a dedicated discard deck, and definitely not van cleef.
    warlock needs a spell or minion that discards a card of your choice, somewhere. that'd be cool.

The other thing about Zavas is that she is most definitely a Zoo-only Legendary. There's no way you run her in Control Warlock. As large as your handsize is going to be, are you really gonna hit that 1/2 in 8?

So she's for Zoo, that's fine. Does Zoo really want something that slow though? If you keep her in your mulligan, she's a dead card for a bit. If you don't keep her, you're probably going to draw into her too late.

Sure, there's potential to get the nut draw AND the godtier RNG and just pump her up like crazy and then you drop a big fatty for 2 mana, whoa! But that's so incredibly unlikely to happen, ever. Hell, there's Zoo games where I never draw Silverware Golem! And I mean, if you want a big fatty in Zoo, there's always Sea Giant.

I'm unconvinced. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll be the first to admit it. But from where I stand she don't look great.

Also lemme expound on this a little more.

Most of the time, Zavas is going to read like so:

2 mana 2/2. X% chance to gain +2/+2 and not discard a card after playing a Discard card.

Chance is the keyword here, because that's what it is. Entirely random, unless you can finagle your way into Zavas being the only card left in your hand (in which case X becomes 100%). And sure, that can happen, especially with a deck like Zoo. ...But also, maybe not, because more and more discard cards are being added and that makes it all the more difficult to actually empty out your hand. And by that I mean, Doomguards travel in pairs. Right, like it's going to be pretty likely that you just have multiple discard cards in hand, and you can no longer finagle your way to that 100% chance. So at best it's a 50/50 and realistically it's lower than that.

And I've lost the 50/50 on Silverware Golems too many times to count.

Anyway.

She's inconsistent. Yes, I realize there's value in the return-to-hand mechanic, you're effectively NOT discarding an actual card there, and that's actually pretty good. But again, the discard itself has to hit her.

How many times have you played Crackle and lowrolled a 3 when you needed a 4? There was a 75% chance to kill that Azure Drake and you hit the 25% chance because it's still a random chance. And it made Crackle completely unreliable as removal to the point where it was simply being run as burn in Aggro Shaman. And even then you'd still see lowrolls for whether or not you got Lethal.

She's inconsistent. The stars basically have to align to get her to do her thing, and and the end of it all, even if they do? She's still just a pile o' stats.

I don't think she's good.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Fuck, this is going to be an expensive set. I might have to do the preorder just to have enough dust to build a couple of quest decks.

The only good thing so far is that the class legendaries (non quest) don't really do it for me. The fact that there are 18 class legendaries makes this a very heavy set and they still haven't started the daily login bonuses yet.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    Lucedes wrote: »
    wow, i'm totally unimpressed with these elementals that reward tribal stuff.
    i like the mechanic, but there's no reason to play elemental synergy in anything but shaman.

ozruk is cool, but he's a 5/15 taunt on turn 9, which is too late for him being an anti-aggro card, and midrange decks have real removal.
    stone sentinel is legit, midrange shaman is probably still going to be a thing. a thing with a bunch of beefy taunts.

zavas is pretty good, but only because she turns "discard a card" into "don't discard a card and also trigger imp."
    not playable at all in anything other than a dedicated discard deck, and definitely not van cleef.
    warlock needs a spell or minion that discards a card of your choice, somewhere. that'd be cool.

I would actually love for them to take Tormenting Voice directly out of MTG and just give it to priest (2 mana: choose and discard a card, then draw two cards). I think you could even make it work thematically with some art of Anduin clutching his head a la the Sarkhan art with purple shadowform whisps around him.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Also lemme expound on this a little more.

Most of the time, Zavas is going to read like so:

2 mana 2/2. X% chance to gain +2/+2 and not discard a card after playing a Discard card.

Chance is the keyword here, because that's what it is. Entirely random, unless you can finagle your way into Zavas being the only card left in your hand (in which case X becomes 100%). And sure, that can happen, especially with a deck like Zoo. ...But also, maybe not, because more and more discard cards are being added and that makes it all the more difficult to actually empty out your hand. And by that I mean, Doomguards travel in pairs. Right, like it's going to be pretty likely that you just have multiple discard cards in hand, and you can no longer finagle your way to that 100% chance. So at best it's a 50/50 and realistically it's lower than that.

And I've lost the 50/50 on Silverware Golems too many times to count.

Anyway.

She's inconsistent. Yes, I realize there's value in the return-to-hand mechanic, you're effectively NOT discarding an actual card there, and that's actually pretty good. But again, the discard itself has to hit her.

How many times have you played Crackle and lowrolled a 3 when you needed a 4? There was a 75% chance to kill that Azure Drake and you hit the 25% chance because it's still a random chance. And it made Crackle completely unreliable as removal to the point where it was simply being run as burn in Aggro Shaman. And even then you'd still see lowrolls for whether or not you got Lethal.

She's inconsistent. The stars basically have to align to get her to do her thing, and and the end of it all, even if they do? She's still just a pile o' stats.

I don't think she's good.

But my opponent hits those high rolls every time! Also, they have a seemingly 100% chance to discard their Silverware golems.

djFindus on
    edited March 2017

Edit: Unrelated, but I've been mulling over Stone Sentinel. I've come to the conclusion, yes, that is a good card. Instant board presence on Turn 7 sounds PRETTY good. It's comparable to Call of the Wild, but without the proactivity of being able to trade off Huffer.

Still, though, you get a 4/4 and two 2/3 taunts. That's pretty good, especially for refilling board after a board wipe. Yeah, I think that's a good 'un.

He is Cenarius light and costs 2 less. That's pretty good. If "elementals the deck" is a thing, he'll be a big part of it.

If you're in discard already (and we know that discard zoo is viable, we saw it be successful before the pirate craze) then discard bug is a key part of that strategy. If discard zoo is good then this guy is good. If discard zoo is bad or just not quite good enough, then this guy will be a reflection of that.

Most of this seems to stem from Blizzard's general design philosophy of "Linear Strategies To The Max!" Cards are largely good or bad if the linear archetype they fit into is good or bad. *shrug*

Modular design seems to be something they struggle with. Reno/Kazzakus almost count, but they are somewhat more heavy handed. I'd say they fall more in the middle.

Roz on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Why is Zavas a beast :confused:

She's great because her low cost means Lock can drop a 6/6 and still Lifetap.

I feel like OG HS had pretty good modular design, Keeper of the Grove was a great card.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    The big downside to Zathras, is that it's a literal dead card in your hand for most of the match.

Do you keep her on turn 1? Your hand would be Quest, Dead Card, other random card. Talk about inconsistent early game.

s98zaykuanh3.jpg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    Shen wrote: »

I feel like OG HS had pretty good modular design, Keeper of the Grove was a great card.

So you can draw her with Curator! And play Zoobot and Menagerie Magician!!!

(don't actually do these things)

DNiDlnb.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

Nope, you've got it correct.

So nobody plays Soggoth. Why would they play Ozruk?

If you played a big elemental on the previous turn, chances are you only played one. If you dump your hand to play a bunch of small elementals to summon a big Ozruk on the following turn, is that really a great play? Hex isn't going away, Polymorph isn't going away, Death, Equality, etc. etc.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Incidentally, this was in the mike donais post about elementals:
    What other designs for Elementals did we try out?
    1. Elementals get a bonus if you cast a spell this turn.
    2. Elementals get a bonus if the last card you played was an Elemental.
    3. Elementals get a bonus if the last minion you played was an Elemental.
    4. Elementals get a bonus if you control another Elemental.
    5. Elemental was a minion type and a spell type.
    6. Gain Elemental Charges and spend them to power up Elementals.

Each of these designs hit us with different problems or challenges, causing us to eventually arrive at the mechanic we shipped with.

6, I think, would have maybe provided a bit more interesting variety in what to do with Elementals.

Characters
    Elemental charges would have been cool. HS could do with more new mechanics, quests aren't it.

ladi.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Incidentally, this was in the mike donais post about elementals:
    What other designs for Elementals did we try out?
    1. Elementals get a bonus if you cast a spell this turn.
    2. Elementals get a bonus if the last card you played was an Elemental.
    3. Elementals get a bonus if the last minion you played was an Elemental.
    4. Elementals get a bonus if you control another Elemental.
    5. Elemental was a minion type and a spell type.
    6. Gain Elemental Charges and spend them to power up Elementals.

Each of these designs hit us with different problems or challenges, causing us to eventually arrive at the mechanic we shipped with.

6, I think, would have maybe provided a bit more interesting variety in what to do with Elementals.
    We're never actually getting a mechanic like that because of clarity on mobile.

"Goes in every deck because it's so good" doesn't count as modular design :p

The way to do modular design is by making mechanics that interact with each other, so you can choose to go all in on a particular mechanic or you can hybridize it in different levels. Like I love that tormenting voice card I mentioned earlier because it had synergies in so many different​ ways--my deck wanted it because discarded cards can be resurrected in magic, so I'd discard a huge minion and resurrect it for cheap. It also works with the zombie tribal, that does things from the graveyard. It also works with the vampire tribal, that uses a mechanic similar to silverware golem. It even works with delerium, which makes your cards stronger if you have a bunch of card types in your graveyard (something like "if you've had a minion die, had a weapon broken, and casted a spell, this minion gets +2/2), and you can use discard to speed that up.

It's not a card that's in every deck (I don't think it's in any of the top decks right now, even, despite red being a very highly represented color), but it's so synergistic in so many different ways it's huge fun brewing my own decks that exploit all the things you can do with it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Ah, I don't know that HS has ever had something like that? Sounds neat though.

ladi.png
    Ah, I don't know that HS has ever had something like that? Sounds neat though.

#designgoals

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited March 2017
    Draw X, Discard X, or Discard X, Draw 2-3, has been used over and over again in MTG as a way to change around draw and serve different deck needs.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I see that I'm playing a person with a Legend card back. I'm on my "your cards are my cards" Priest deck, the other player is also on a Priest deck. In the course of the game, I copied the other player's Emperor Thaurissan three separate times. I used a Cabal Shadow Priest to steal a Brann Bronzebeard. The other player dropped Alexstraza, which gave me one health, and I killed it with a stolen Shadow Word: Death; that was the third Shadow Word: Death I played that game. Win or lose I was laughing my ass off. (I won).

This is my current Priest deck. It started as a Dragon Priest, but then I kicked out the Dragons for being lazy.

2x Lightwarden
    2x Northshire CLeric
    2x Pint-Size Potion
    2x Potion of Madness
    2x Friendly Bartender
    2x Master Swordsmith
    2x Museum Curator
    2x Kabal Talonpriest
    2x Shadow Word: Death
    2x Thoughtsteal
    2x Priest of the Feast
    2x Shadow Madness
    2x Shifting Shade
    2x Holy Nova
    2x Cabal Shadow Priest

I'm not saying that it's good. But man, I'm having fun.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Why can't we ever discard a chosen card?

/hates RNG

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Why can't we ever discard a chosen card?

/hates RNG

Because Blizzard wants to keep it fun*.

*Fun is dependent on the person Blizzard chooses.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7