As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for movie title and/or ending

MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
Sometime in middle or high school maybe, definitely before college, more than 10 years ago, I saw part of a movie on broadcast TV. I missed the beginning but there was a starship that had some kind of mishap in deep space and I think became a derelict. Maybe the later part took place with people in a lifeboat, but it seems more like a derelict now when I think about it. Here's what I remember:

The captain was separated from the rest of the survivors and trapped in an area with rising radiation levels. She (I don't remember the actress, but I remember she was a black woman) had a scene where she was pulling out tufts of her hair, falling out from radiation sickness. The other survivors included a really short man with a cool cybernetic arm; this guy was apparently the main engineer or mechanic and was keeping what few machines were still working to maintain life support. He figured out a way that he could maybe come to the captain's rescue, but it could also kill him so the captain ordered him to stay with the other survivors and leave her to die. She told him they could survive without her, but they would not without him. And soon after she died of the radiation.

They sent out a probe or something to try to call for help, noting bleakly that the universe was ten billion light years across and it was probably pointless.

At one point they saw a supply depot floating in space and were excited...until its slow rotation turned towards them and they saw that it had been hit by space debris and was utterly destroyed.

Eventually the heating systems started to fail, so it started to snow inside. Something about condensation and the air circulation blowing it around.

There was a guy among the survivors who was badly injured. People worked hard to keep him alive, but after the injured man saw another survivor (a man who was pretending to be blind) with secret survival supplies, the faking man snapped his neck, then told the rest of the survivors that he had killed the injured man because he was using too much of their air and they all knew he wasn't going to live. Everyone was upset, but they let it pass because yes, they all knew the man was a goner and their margins for survival for so low. The faker had been secretly hiding away supplies for his own use, and once he had enough that he felt secure he could survive a long time alone, whipped out a gun he had been concealing and started shooting people, starting with the mechanic.

...and then I had to leave to do something, but I never saw the movie again. Haven't been able to figure out what it was, and I want to know the ending because I basically left it at the most cliffhanger-y of moments. And so, good forum folks, if any of you have any idea what this movie was, please tell me. Also what happened at the end?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifepod

Not exactly what you described, but the secret supply thing seems to match.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifepod

Not exactly what you described, but the secret supply thing seems to match.

I'm 90% sure this is the film in question because I remember watching it and it did include a character that was faking blindness.

The ending:
    Faker gets revealed, ends up getting thrown out the airlock.

Nobody on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    That was exactly it! I even double-checked the TVTropes page for it to see if there were any extra details that sounded familiar, and yes I remembered some of that now. Thank you, good forum folk!

...I am a bit disappointed that the ending turned out to be kinda anticlimactic after all that buildup (I guess they get rescued off-screen afterward?), but oh well.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Wow. It's weird I thought you guys were talking about the space B-movie Angel Bassett was in, but this one has CCH Pounder. Had no clue she was in a sci fi space movie too, heh.

edit: This is the movie I was thinking of, Supernova.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Wow. It's weird I thought you guys were talking about the space B-movie Angel Bassett was in, but this one has CCH Pounder. Had no clue she was in a sci fi space movie too, heh.

edit: This is the movie I was thinking of, Supernova.

Supernova has James Spader AND Lou Diamond Phillips you show some respect!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This sounds fascinating but Gravity was about as harrowing as I can take.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn