As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: It's (sold) Out!

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I mean, I'd love it if Nintendo generally future-proofed their devices a little more, but the Switch has always been more of a handheld to me than a console (even though I've kept it docked for a week), so I'm okay if it gets handheld level games and/or becomes THE portable local multiplayer console. Gonna be great for linecons.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that your average top-line smartphone runs $600-$700. Miniaturizing things increases the cost.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I think if the entire idea of the Switch doesn't excite you, you aren't the target market. The 3DS is shittier hardware than a graphing calculator and it's my favourite console. It's not a thing and never has been a thing for Nintendo hardware. If it's specs you need, stick with PC!

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    With one game and it's ability to be played anywhere the Switch has become my favorite console.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Got my RDS travel case today. So sturdy I could use it to fight a robber off and play Zelda on the undamaged Switch inside while waiting for the cops to pick up the unconscious body.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I think if the entire idea of the Switch doesn't excite you, you aren't the target market. The 3DS is shittier hardware than a graphing calculator and it's my favourite console. It's not a thing and never has been a thing for Nintendo hardware. If it's specs you need, stick with PC!

I mean it's totally possible for someone to be excited for the idea of the switch but also bummed out by the anemic hardware. I'd love to have it be a little beefier, but I'm hoping the games make up for it with art styles and whatnot. Still disappointing to hit those framerate hitches in Zelda on occasion.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    With one game and it's ability to be played anywhere the Switch has become my favorite console.

Way too many people are citing the portability factor as the true shine of Zelda BOTW and it's killing my ability to resist getting a Switch

Like, they talk about how even though there's just the one game, it's a game that can be very long and they can just play it whenever they feel like it (within reason/battery life expectations, of course) and do a shrine here or there or when they're pooping or on a train or whatever.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

Way too many people are citing the portability factor as the true shine of Zelda BOTW and it's killing my ability to resist getting a Switch

Like, they talk about how even though there's just the one game, it's a game that can be very long and they can just play it whenever they feel like it (within reason/battery life expectations, of course) and do a shrine here or there or when they're pooping or on a train or whatever.

It really is a game changer. Being able to grab the system and continue playing Zelda when my kids get home and want the TV, or playing while my wife watches TV is great.

• ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Apparently stores got stock today in Canada, but of course I was at work so I couldn't get one. I've been hearing that they are big shipments coming March 22nd, but I'm not sure that includes us here in the North. I'm off work for half of Wednesday, so I'll probably try my luck then.

Mostly concerned that I won't be able to get one before Mario Odyssey comes out at the end of the year. If I grab one now I'll be covered for Mario launch day lol.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »
    Apparently stores got stock today in Canada, but of course I was at work so I couldn't get one. I've been hearing that they are big shipments coming March 22nd, but I'm not sure that includes us here in the North. I'm off work for half of Wednesday, so I'll probably try my luck then.

Mostly concerned that I won't be able to get one before Mario Odyssey comes out at the end of the year. If I grab one now I'll be covered for Mario launch day lol.

I'm pretty sure that making sure they have adequate stock for black friday and/or mario is probably their top priority. That time period will be what really makes or breaks the system for them

steam_sig.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Seriously though, is there some seedy secondary amiibo market I can get in on? I don't want to pay $80 for a piece of plastic.

I think there's a bootleg amiibos scene out there.

It really is a game changer. Being able to grab the system and continue playing Zelda when my kids get home and want the TV, or playing while my wife watches TV is great.

Hmm. I actually don't really have people hogging my TV time like that, but I do spend a bunch of time commuting each day. Of course, but in such a way that I don't usually have free use of more than one hand. So I play a lot of phone games, listen to a lot of podcasts, stuff like that.

steam_sig.png

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    part of the appeal for me with the portability is that I'm a fan of the sportsballs, so there are many instances where I'll want to have a sportsballs game of some kind on the TV, even if I'm not paying 100% attention to it. So I can put the sportsballs game on, take the switch out of the dock, and play portably while the game is on.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Personally, I don't care that the TV experience is a bit less than great, because the Switch is the greatest handheld ever. During PAX I was playing a little 3ds monhun with friends, and then played a little more breath of the wild and the difference in capabilities between those two systems is almost breathtaking. Where you fall on that spectrum probably determines how much the Switch being down on power compared to the other 2 major consoles affects you.

I'm also assuming BotW being ported from the wiiu, a totally different architecture, at seemingly the last moment didn't help it's performance for Switch any.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    part of the appeal for me with the portability is that I'm a fan of the sportsballs, so there are many instances where I'll want to have a sportsballs game of some kind on the TV, even if I'm not paying 100% attention to it. So I can put the sportsballs game on, take the switch out of the dock, and play portably while the game is on.

Yep, this baseball season is going to be the greatest!

• Bender1001Bender1001 Registered User new member
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I'm also assuming BotW being ported from the wiiu, a totally different architecture, at seemingly the last moment didn't help it's performance for Switch any.

I feel like a lot of reviews and people are overlooking this when it comes to the BotW's performance. Yes, it lags a bit at times but it literally was shoe horned onto a console it wasn't designed for at the last minute.

Once developers get a feel for the console I'm sure we'll be seeing some really great looking games that run smoothly.

Personally I'm loving the Switch. Best console I've ever owned (even if it is just a glorified Zelda machine at this point lol).

Spoit wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that making sure they have adequate stock for black friday and/or mario is probably their top priority. That time period will be what really makes or breaks the system for them

You're right of course. I'm mostly just trying justify my burning desire to buy one of these after telling myself I'd wait year. >_>

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    On the other hand, apparently now, half a year after black friday, the only version of the 3ds that's still reliably in stock is the 2ds

steam_sig.png
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

You're right of course. I'm mostly just trying justify my burning desire to buy one of these after telling myself I'd wait year. >_>

Secret of Mana's 25th anniversary is this year, and being able to play one of its greatest entries with multiplayer on the go would be quite something.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    I actually see the New 3DS with Mario 3D Land in stock here everywhere I go. That and the 2DS.

Just goes to show how different stock can be depending on location.

Do most of you use the straps when using single joycons as a controller? I managed to do snipperclips with a friend though it was sort of uncomfortable. I guess the straps would make the top buttons more usable but then I'd have to worry about bringing straps with me in case of impromptu multiplayer plus all the issues with putting straps on wrong/and just general difficulty with removing it.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I don't even use the Switch as a handheld. I have little need. My gaming free time (at least for now) aligns with the rec room being empty, so the TV is always available.

But for me, the Switch value will be in the library. I have a powerful gaming PC. Aside for some XB1 and PS4 exclusives, there is very little reason for me to own one of those consoles. The Switch has exclusives fundamentally different than offerings on any other system, console or PC.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So I bought Afterbirth+

I had the most AMAZING items in my very first run.

Then I literally walked into the boss on floor 6 and died due to contact.

I want a refund.

(Not really.)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Am I the only person that basically never uses their system while docked? I have BOTW, Disgaea 5, Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+, Blaster Master Zero, and Shovel Knight and I have only really tried BOTW docked for about 5 minutes, had some weird Joycon drift in a Shrine, and took it back out of the dock.

It's a pretty awesome handheld.

I seriously hope they never add Streetpass to this. Please. Please do not ever do this.

I'd love streetpass just to know how many others have it on my commute

I can't wait till I see my first Switch being used in the wild (outside of PAX East).

Everywhere I go it's just phones or IPads. I thought I saw someone using a Switch today but it was just a really big phone/or they had small hands.

steam_sig.png

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I mean it's totally possible for someone to be excited for the idea of the switch but also bummed out by the anemic hardware. I'd love to have it be a little beefier, but I'm hoping the games make up for it with art styles and whatnot. Still disappointing to hit those framerate hitches in Zelda on occasion.

You young Switchersnappers don't know how good you have it! Back in my day all we had was 240p, both ways, uphill, in the snow, and we liked it!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    With finals week upon me I have decided to really buckle down and start looking for a Switch in the wild. I'm nearing the end of Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I'm ready for more beautiful open-world. I also just recently moved, and I'm ready to do some gaming that's not down in the cold basement where the TV room is.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Seriously though, the Switch has pretty much ruined the 3DS for me. I tried to go back and play some xenoblade last night. I didn't make it five minutes before being compelled to turn it off. Those lil dinky ass screens were good enough for me before, but not now. Not after I've tasted the sweet stuff.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular

This, and the quick wake up from sleep mode, are great. When I was playing Zelda on the weekend, we had to go out so I'd put it to sleep looking at the hill I wanted to climb to the top off next.

Last night I turned the kettle on, grabbed the Switch out of the dock, climbed the hill while at the kitchen bench, got something for my trouble, put it back to sleep and docked it and then made my beautiful fiancee a cup of tea.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    Gamestop has confirmed that they will recieve their next shipment of Switch units on 3/22:

For those still looking, this might possibly be your next big chance (and possibly your last chance until the xmas season).

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    (and possibly your last chance until the xmas season).

wait really? that seems insane to me

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(there's no indication of this being a Switch game yet, but it seems the most likely out of all platforms)

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    (and possibly your last chance until the xmas season).

wait really? that seems insane to me

Those are the rumors, I don't really believe it either, which is why I said possibly.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Radiant Historia was awesome. Here's hoping it's Switch, though the DS entry was obviously a lower budget thing with sprites and all! I hope they give it the budget it needs.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    That would be insane. I'm gonna say naaaaah

edited March 2017
    Honestly even if it's bs those subsequent restocks are likely going to be so hard to get a hold of that you're probably better off treating this as your last big chance till xmas.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    We already know they're ramping up production for the year from 8 million to 16 million. They're probably going to put some of those on shelves before Christmas? I think?

Also it sold 1.5 million at launch, was originally planned to have 2 million by the end of March but they already decided to ramp that up to 2.5 million by the end of the month.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited March 2017
    We already know they're ramping up production for the year from 8 million to 16 million. They're probably going to put some of those on shelves before Christmas? I think?

Also it sold 1.5 million at launch, was originally planned to have 2 million by the end of March but they already decided to ramp that up to 2.5 million by the end of the month.

They also had a rediculous amount of stock for launch and it all sold out in practically the first day.

Edit: I'm not explaining myself properly. I'm not saying there won't be restocks until xmas, I'm saying that it's probably going to take till xmas for you to be able to casually find a Switch on the shelf without having to pull launch day-esque shenanigans.

Edit2: and even then thats probably going to be a narrow window, because xmas. There's little doubt that the Switch will be the hot gift this year. Especially with the new Mario coming out... and if they do a mario bundle/special edition(which they are likely to do)? fugettabout it.

Edit3: I just realized that with the Switch being designed the way it is they could also release a special edition joycon bundle alongside a special edition system bundle. It'd be real nice to only have to pay $70 to get a special edition instead of paying full console price again. Then again this point is moot if they decide to decorate the Switch unit itself.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Our Switch lives in the dock, so I don't care about special edition tablets. I might buy an unhealthy number of joycons, though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.