As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch 9.0] Patch/Season 4 live! Introducing new hero: Orisa!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Water cooler moments like that rock

For you it was rage-inducing, for him it's a story to tell about how he accidentally forced you to kill half your team

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I've been practicing Genji cause I've started seeing I'm actually pretty decent with him.

One match the Ana on our team asked me if I had Dragonblade and nano'd me.

My one goal was not being one of those Genjis who dies instantly and embarrassing myself.

Dragkonias on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    As a Rein player I hate it when Ana boosts me before the initiate. Rein v Rein involves a lot of mind games, and when you nano me you're basically showing my hand, and often forcing me to act at a bad time.

I imagine it's similar for Gengi trying to start a dragon blade

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Huh, speaking of inopportune nano boosts, bet we're gonna see a resurgence of Boostio (Can't Stop Won't Stop!) since his reduced range is probably gonna make him stay in the mix a lil more.

Oh brilliant
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    As a Rein player I hate it when Ana boosts me before the initiate. Rein v Rein involves a lot of mind games, and when you nano me you're basically showing my hand, and often forcing me to act at a bad time.

The difference being that Genji announces to the world when he's ready.

I had a monster mystery match with Genji yesterday - 18 kill streak - from beginning to 2m before the end. I still don't understand his ult though. Am I basically a walking forward cone DoT or do I just take metered slashes like a crappy melee Bastion tank? Also do I have to click in that mode or is the damage automatic?

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Welp there was my first in game witnessing of rage freakouts.

Sad thing is we won the first game, with a bad comp. Enemy team countered it and we lost two. Then amidst the rage (and with only one other person switching chars with me) we managed to win the next round. Then one of the ragers started killing themselves at spawn and threw the game :(

The other rager was the only card we had at the end too -_-

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    today on things that make you want to uninstall:

launch a conc at genji on lijang by the bridge
    he insta-deflects because several teammates started shooting at him at the same time
    and even though conc hit the ground far behind him, he deflects it anyway
    INTO THREE TEAMMATES WHO ALL FALL OFF
    and he gets potg
    Even if not by his intent I would just have to laugh at something like that happening. I remember my first time opening up my barrage and Genji jumping at me with deflect. My jaw hit the fucking floor.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm not sure how I'm supposed to win placement matches when 4 out of the 6 people on my team are under 35/have less than 10 hours of total playtime, and we are going up against a team of 6 where they are all above 150/50+ hours of playtime (I have around 115 hrs played as a reference)

Or the fact that my last 3 games have had leavers

Like I get that overall playtime is not a inherent marker of skill, but when someone comes into a match with 5 hours as widow/2 as hanzo total, it's not going to go well

ronzo on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

The difference being that Genji announces to the world when he's ready.

I had a monster mystery match with Genji yesterday - 18 kill streak - from beginning to 2m before the end. I still don't understand his ult though. Am I basically a walking forward cone DoT or do I just take metered slashes like a crappy melee Bastion tank? Also do I have to click in that mode or is the damage automatic?

Well his intention is usually to announce it when he's like 30 feet above everyone else and hard to get a fix on. Ana boost lets everyone find him before he can do that.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It makes me a sad that I am not really all that great with Ana because she is almost quite literally Egyptian Big Boss lady

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Did you guys hear about the new datamined audio files implying Widow is, in certain situations, capable of saying "I'm on the payload!" - no one is sure when this audio might play.

Ed; a guy I play Comp with has taken to using Widow every now and then, and he's proven quite fierce. Real good at taking out medics, turrets and Pharah. So I can see the Widow love, situational tho it might be. Hanzo tho, I don't get why any sniper would pick him over Widow...

Because he's fun and insta-kill headshots and scatter arrow at the feet one-shots are very satisfying.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm still getting used to PC controls and had a match this weekend where I, reaper, couldn't kill an un-meched D.Va. at close range one on one. Embarrassing. I was like 0-6 in mystery heroes before I finally got a win or two.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I'm supposed to win placement matches when 4 out of the 6 people on my team are under 35/have less than 10 hours of total playtime, and we are going up against a team of 6 where they are all above 150/50+ hours of playtime (I have around 115 hrs played as a reference)

Or the fact that my last 3 games have had leavers

Like I get that overall playtime is not a inherent marker of skill, but when someone comes into a match with 5 hours as widow/2 as hanzo total, it's not going to go well

They could be smurf accounts, but I see the same thing happen a lot to myself :/

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    soylenth wrote: »
    I'm still getting used to PC controls and had a match this weekend where I, reaper, couldn't kill an un-meched D.Va. at close range one on one. Embarrassing. I was like 0-6 in mystery heroes before I finally got a win or two.

I lose to baby D.Vas and Mercys all the time in duels. It doesn't even really matter who I happen to be on, either.

Worst one: Me Zarya around 300hp vs half dead Mercy. I lost with her at ~15hp. Had to congratulate on that one.

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Best part of today's mystery heroes was a reaper standing on the opening Widow platform on point A anubis and shooting shotguns down at a reinhardt shield all the way on point.. For a minute. The other team just let him stand there because it's basically a free 5 v 6. He thought he was doing fine. "At least I'm not dying!"

sanstodo on
    I won ~12 Mystery Heroes in a row tonight. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any games at all today.

The secret to winning can be found in these videos:

https://youtu.be/cmNdm7Kctu4

https://youtu.be/oQpsY6GKb4k

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I won ~12 Mystery Heroes in a row tonight. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any games at all today.

So you're who stole all my luck tonight. I swear to fucking god I went around 3-10. I rage quit for a half hour at one point after solo killing 4/6 of the enemy team on King's Row attack's first point with a Barrage only for the entirety of my team except for I think a Zarya to be killed by the surviving apparently invincible pair of Bastion and Widow. The PotG was him mowing down my entire team in a line as they sauntered in like a fucking Benny Hill gag.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I refuse to believe this.

BTW I just saw a rumor that a map editor is coming to Overwatch. Prepare for insanity and stupid remakes from Counter-Strike.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    jeff kaplan confirmed a map editor is in the cards but also that we won't actually see it for a very long time

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    ugh, DE-Dust

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So a clutch diamond level Widow was super fun to be on the same side of. I'm guessing other side was super frustrating'

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I refuse to believe this.

BTW I just saw a rumor that a map editor is coming to Overwatch. Prepare for insanity and stupid remakes from Counter-Strike.

Not a rumor, and it'll be awhile

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753537194#post-15
    We are extremely open-minded about releasing a map editor for Overwatch someday. But because Overwatch was made with a brand new engine, this is not a small task or one which can happen any time soon. We have this on our long-term road map and believe heavily in user-made content. But there are many challenges ahead of us and it will be a very long road before our editor can be made available to the public.

Unf, just got a Mystery Heroes match where I started as Pharah and never died. Came close once, but 20 kill streak best for a fast moving payload. Got better about aiming shots for things like Genjis predictably dashing or Mercy flying to someone's aid.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    When patch 1.9 releases tomorrow, Orisa will not initially be available for Competitive Play. We want to give players some time to learn about and play Orisa before she's placed into the crucible of Competitive Play.

She'll still be immediately available in Quick Play, the Arcade (including custom games with the competitive ruleset), and Play vs. AI.

But I don't wanna play QP! What horseplay is this?

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It makes sense, if one considers that most folks have not played the Public Test Realm, and so have not tried Orisa out.

So instead of having to account for big balance changes on 6 heroes AND an insta-lock Orisa on my team for EVERY competitive match, I get a week with the former and none of the latter. There's already enough excitement going about without a lot of people who maybe shouldn't be tanking suddenly all diving into what seems to be a pretty complex character.

They tried to launch Sombra instantly into competitive, and it was not a fun time. Now, granted, she was an underpowered three-star-difficulty, stealth/assassin DPS, and Orisa is a tank, meaning the Insta-lock might not be as bad. OH, at least we have ONE TANK is the sort of intense, passive snide that we're going to see, even delayed by one week.

But I like that Blizzard is experimenting with this. Soft launches of characters is hard. Valve never quite figured out how to do the TF2 class upgrades. Remember the pyro weapon releases in 2008? Horrible.

Blizzard developers are being very experimental with this game in a way most big shooters don't get to be. How many shooters released in May are then still super exciting 10 months later in March?

I like it. We still get Orisa in literally every other mode. And QP is just a less serious Competitive, making it a great practice range for the next week for her and all the crazy balance shit.

Also HOLY FUCK ARE WE GETTING LUCIO CHANGES TODAY?! My mind was not prepared for the slight Renaissance I was having with him turning into a vehicle for replaying mother fucking Jet Set Radio.

Seriously he's HOT Jammin now!

OmnomnomPancake on
    They consider a freakin map editor, but I still think they never said anything about some kind of single player story mode.

This game needs that SO bad, for so many reasons.

edited March 2017
    Henroid wrote: »
    Unf, just got a Mystery Heroes match where I started as Pharah and never died. Came close once, but 20 kill streak best for a fast moving payload. Got better about aiming shots for things like Genjis predictably dashing or Mercy flying to someone's aid.

Did you have Miles Davis and/or John Coltrane playing?

I'm conducting a study.

edit: morning reflection made me remember that my first match was a loss. An attack Kings Row where my whole team continuously sauntered into a Bastion nest despite my constant voice warnings.

Einzel on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I am seriously just going to not play for a week because Quick Play is dumb and boring and I want to play Orisa and can't.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    I'm gonna rock the 3v3 with orisa.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    Oh good, I am so glad I worked for 2 weeks just to win 2 games in a row FINALLY, only to lose 2 in a row to a thrower and a leaver.

This is so much fun, being at 1500.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    They consider a freakin map editor, but I still think they never said anything about some kind of single player story mode.

I agree about this but at the same time modern Blizzard's storytelling has always been the strongest through its visual design informing the players about the story and their characters. It's what inspires the fanfics and the headcanons and the what-have-you and in comparison to that the actual storytelling they've done for their last few games has been completely bog-standard (if fine) otherwise.

The animated shorts work nicely because they leave a lot to the imagination and their short length forces them to focus on the show-not-tell approach, but I don't know if they could exercise the same restraint if they were given free rein to do as they pleased with the length of a full singleplayer story

Also going price for single-player campaigns are $50 per copy, they're not going to be free surprises like Dr Frankenrats special mode.

They take lot of money to make right. Like millions of money, if you want Blizzard quality.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    I think people need to give the rating system more credit. As someone jumping between 2600 and 3100 at a near constant up-down-up-down rate, I can assure you that people throw and leave ALOT in everything up to 3200, from my experience.

Whatever your rating is, you generally belong right where you are, given your skill.

People need to focus on self improvement in competitive. Ignore win/loss and season rating. They do not matter in and of themselves, and are a poor measure of personal success when not in the right mindset.

I prefer looking at On Fire, and medals. Even if my team is throwing, can I still hit my target healing average?

Can I still eat 3-4 ults as D.Va? Can I get off two sound barriers and 2 boops as Lucio? Can I shut down their rein and pharah as an aggressive 76?

If the options are: A) be salty as fuck all the time because of things out of my control, or B) aim to improve how I play, and how I contribute as an individual to even an unwilling team,

I choose B. Every time. Because even if we lose horribly and I drop 89 SR as part of a 4 game losing streak, I tried to learn to play my character, experiment with new tactics, see new tempos and positions in the maps, etc.

People leaving competitive in a bitter mood should not play competitive. It is literally unhealthy. I upended my entire outlook on it after my GF told me I was noticeably more aggressive after playing.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Yah, it's not that they haven't considered it, they probably just know they don't have what it takes to fulfill the potential the OW universe has. Go rewatch the Alive short for a reminder of blizz's not-brilliant writing skills.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    jammu wrote: »
    Also going price for single-player campaigns are $50 per copy, they're not going to be free surprises like Dr Frankenrats special mode.

They take lot of money to make right. Like millions of money, if you want Blizzard quality.

For this game with these characters, I think a lot of people would be willing to buy a stand-alone expansion like you're suggesting. How well did the additional campaigns for Starcraft II do?

I imagine it'd be like this:
    • There'd be a 'grand campaign' that's one over-arching game involving all the characters, made up of a series of levels each designed for a subset of specific characters you can choose between.
    • And then there'd be 'mini campaigns' where you pick one character and just play the levels they're available for, getting a short story centered on them.

Yah, it's not that they haven't considered it, they probably just know they don't have what it takes to fulfill the potential the OW universe has. Go rewatch the Alive short for a reminder of blizz's not-brilliant writing skills.

Honestly, people were perfectly fine with the storytelling in Starcraft 1, the Diablo series, and Warcraft 3, and they've been largely okay with WoW and SC2. Sure they catch a lot of shit, but it doesn't seem to affect sales, and a single player or co-op PVE campaign has a lot more going for it than the story. I mean, it's not like the CoD: Modern Warfare or Gears of War stories were setting the world on fire. The key thing would be for them to play it fast and loose like they used to do.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png

I agree about this but at the same time modern Blizzard's storytelling has always been the strongest through its visual design informing the players about the story and their characters. It's what inspires the fanfics and the headcanons and the what-have-you and in comparison to that the actual storytelling they've done for their last few games has been completely bog-standard (if fine) otherwise.

The animated shorts work nicely because they leave a lot to the imagination and their short length forces them to focus on the show-not-tell approach, but I don't know if they could exercise the same restraint if they were given free rein to do as they pleased with the length of a full singleplayer story

Visual design but also character interaction.

There's a strong argument that the game ties character abilities and character personality so well that a character you love to play or a character you love seeing actually strengthens and reinforces the other of the two.

So many games have a schizophrenic mind towards their characters as story versus a vehicle for the player to interact with the world.

A story based expansion won't be good. Because blizzard doesn't know how to tell stories. They tell moments or scenes but they do not tell very good long form narratives.

Taking any attention or development time off of what they are good at, which is what they are doing now, would be a mistake. And they'll never do it, because that sort of winding narrative ambition stays in WoW.

Well this is a volatile morning.

What goes around comes around I guess, 2 leavers on the enemy team in 2 games -_-

Whatever your rating is, you generally belong right where you are, given your skill.

I generally agree with this, until multiple people I played with said they thought I was much better than that rating.

The spending over half of every match on fire because I never die also kind of says otherwise too.

It also doesn't help I was 56 in season 1, 2300 in season 3, then suddenly I start season 4 at 1300 and barely get above that.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Visual design but also character interaction.

There's a strong argument that the game ties character abilities and character personality so well that a character you love to play or a character you love seeing actually strengthens and reinforces the other of the two.

So many games have a schizophrenic mind towards their characters as story versus a vehicle for the player to interact with the world.

A story based expansion won't be good. Because blizzard doesn't know how to tell stories. They tell moments or scenes but they do not tell very good long form narratives.

Taking any attention or development time off of what they are good at, which is what they are doing now, would be a mistake. And they'll never do it, because that sort of winding narrative ambition stays in WoW.

Like I said above, you guys are focusing too much on the quality of the writing. Sure, a lot of people want a single player campaign because they want a coherent narrative for this IP, but let's be honest, most of them are not going to be super-critical about the quality of that story (the plot choices, sure, but not the actual story-telling). You're holding videogame narratives to a higher standard than the majority of the audience does. There are a lot of people in this world who are perfectly happy with a mediocre or even poorly told story as long as they like the characters, setting, and it has some cool moments or set-pieces (witness the success of many of the superhero movies of the last two decades, or Bay's Transformers). Like, most of the lore nerds for Warcraft (myself included) harbor no illusions about the quality of the narrative, but we still care about were it's going and what happens to the characters we like.

But more importantly, there's also a lot more people (like my brother in law) who don't give a shit about the story but would love a single-player or co-op PVE campaign, because that's a very different kind of gameplay experience than anything OW currently offers.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but we're not debating if it could be a commercial success. We're debating if we want to see it be made. And I'm enough of a nerd to say "you know what, if the story is ignorable enough that it's pretty much just playing single playing overwatch rather than experiencing the universe, save the effort and I'll just play the multiplayer one."

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.