As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Negative Ghost Ryder, the planet is full. Tag your Spoilers.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    with the 1000 friend cap and the addition of clubs (I think PS4 has them too?), I don't think we've had a metatag for xbox games since... uh. ME:3? Or circa that period.

I don't think Origin has anything like that?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    I'm curlyhairedboy on origin. Add me!

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Welp, splurged out on the Super Duper Mega Deluxe With Cherry On Top Edition.

Did some quick math and I save some bucks on those MP loot boxes.

Of course, we all know I'll be throwing money at them anyway.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Does Multi have anything like the banners to encourage experimentation?

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Serious question about character modelling: do all/other 3D games have character models with their arms and legs spaced apart so that any armor they may or may not be wearing doesn't clip? It's not an MEA-specific thing; it's bothered me about Bioware modelling for years now, and it really seems like... well, even if there's not an elegant tech solution to the clipping problem, why are civilians sharing the same model so that everybody is always standing with their arms lifted away from their sides? Is it just a feature of the Unreal/Frostbite engines?

Its most likely a shared animation problem than a modelling problem. Chances are the character rigs are shared across all characters (or they have a human male, human female, etc). This way you can drop the same animations on everyone rather than need to worry about unique rigs (and reanimate for every unique rig).

It's possible they mo-capped their actors wearing dummy armor so they moved correctly, but then propagated those animations to people without armor

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Shen wrote: »

There are "patterns" and some other stuff, but I haven't gotten any kit that high yet.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Serious question about character modelling: do all/other 3D games have character models with their arms and legs spaced apart so that any armor they may or may not be wearing doesn't clip? It's not an MEA-specific thing; it's bothered me about Bioware modelling for years now, and it really seems like... well, even if there's not an elegant tech solution to the clipping problem, why are civilians sharing the same model so that everybody is always standing with their arms lifted away from their sides? Is it just a feature of the Unreal/Frostbite engines?

I think in large part this is probably correct. Also in the way their hands are at rest strikes me as the default would look fine if one was wearing space armor but not so much with bare hands type issue.

It often seems to depend on whether or not clothes/armor attaches to a player model, or if the clothes/armor become the model.

The latter usually allows for more stylized character models that look "right", because they aren't worrying about attachment points for different items on different parts of the body. And it depends on if the designers care that much about clipping. Frequently the cooler/realistic armor is in a game, and the more customizable it can be, the more stiff and generic the base character models look. When you're going for a more realistic look, i.e. Mass Effect, massive clipping tends to look really bad, compared to World of Warcraft where everything is so stylized and they put almost zero effort into ensuring things don't clip, because they don't care.

edited March 2017
    Echo wrote: »
    Welp, splurged out on the Super Duper Mega Deluxe With Cherry On Top Edition.

Did some quick math and I save some bucks on those MP loot boxes.

Of course, we all know I'll be throwing money at them anyway.

With the Origin Access discount, I think it works out to about 50% off the 20 weekly packs.

Which is what pushed me over to getting the super deluxe fighter tournament edition.

I would be amazed if I don't end up buying packs anyway, but hey, money saved is money saved.

If I had any doubt as to whether or not I'd have the self control to not buy packs, I would have stuck with the basic deluxe.

I yam wat I yam though.

EDIT: Origin is not having a good time right now. Trying to look up people to add to friends, and it just sits there thinking forever.

The Dude With Herpes on

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I have only played the APEX app so far, can you redeem your boxes in the app by itself?

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I have only played the APEX app so far, can you redeem your boxes in the app by itself?

Pretty sure it needs to be ingame. You can redeem them to any one Ryder.

I've failed the missions I've launched from the app, which I'm beggining to wonder if it is a problem with the system; so I don't know?

It is telling me I have deluxe loot boxes (not the strike rewards), but I see no way to open them.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    If you go to the store in game there should be three tabs, and free boxen show up in the third, I think.

edited March 2017
    I see it saying there is 2 Super Deluxe Edition packs on my list too (shown with cost: Free)

... I dont have the Super Deluxe though, just the normal Deluxe?

EDIT: I wont be able to check ingame before the 23rd I'm afraid.

Sirialis on

I've failed the missions I've launched from the app, which I'm beggining to wonder if it is a problem with the system; so I don't know?

It is telling me I have deluxe loot boxes (not the strike rewards), but I see no way to open them.
    I've had successes. You open them in game.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I have that, too. Pretty sure it's just a bug in the app.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

I've gotten 1 fail and 3 successes with the missions I've run from the app, so its just the RNG not liking you. Those things happen, unfortunately.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So uh... I fucking love this so far. Played an hour or so after the trial content gate and
    the vault is amazingly done.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited March 2017
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

I've gotten 1 fail and 3 successes with the missions I've run from the app, so its just the RNG not liking you. Those things happen, unfortunately.

As long as they dont use XCOM 2's percentages.

I've beaten that game on every difficulty, completed every achievement and I still cant help feeling that the percentages shown was horseshit. (I know about the savescum counter too)

Sirialis on
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

Looking at the app there are a number of things like banners/trophies/titles for doing achievements.

edited March 2017
  • PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Between my own doubts after the trial (it feels low-budget, very unpolished) and the first reviews saying that even the writing is not up to previous ME standard (which I noticed in the trial too, dialogue has been... not great), I'm seriously considering waiting for a discount before getting this.

Which is weird because I really WANT to love Andromeda, y'know?

UPDATE: I bought the game. Despite everything listed above, I do dig the exploration a lot, and Eos in particular managed to capture that Mass Effect 1 exploration vibe. I want to keep uncovering more of the Andromeda galaxy.

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Between my own doubts after the trial (it feels low-budget, very unpolished) and the first reviews saying that even the writing is not up to previous ME standard (which I noticed in the trial too, dialogue has been... not great), I'm seriously considering waiting for a discount before getting this.

Which is weird because I really WANT to love Andromeda, y'know?

UPDATE: I bought the game. Despite everything listed above, I do dig the exploration a lot, and Eos in particular managed to capture that Mass Effect 1 exploration vibe. I want to keep uncovering more of the Andromeda galaxy.

Yeah, I posted similar thoughts a few pages ago (this thread is moving fast). The early look definitely sold me on it. Yeah, the Internet isn't WRONG about all the jank, but at it's core, this is still a mass effect game and I want to play a mass effect game. I just know I'm not going to be fully comfortable with Bioware until I get all the way through it and see the end credits come up.

But the marketing guy who said "we definitely need to Early Access ME:A" got a sale from me, and I was for sure going to wait a bit otherwise.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Alrighty, I'm ending my blackout and readying my body for 11pm CDT.

I doubt I'll jump into MP much till making some major headway in the SP, but will defiantly be diving in whole hot at some point in the near future. I'll be on Xbone.

XBL tag is BlackDragon1066

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JaredK91JaredK91 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I used a VPN to unlock early and have been playing single player. For anyone who played Inquisition chest "farming" is totally a thing still. There's a chest with a high chance for rare and ultra rare items you can access when you first get to the nexus spoiler for location I guess?
    if you head towards the scientists on the operations floor level its on the left just past the shop. If you see a security console its on the right big ass box.Just make sure to leave 1 item in it and then save and load your game and the chest gets new items. I already got a N7 Piranha and 2 N7 Eagles and some armor in a few reloads.

JaredK91 on
  • Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I know I could just wait a day and find out, but for those of you with early access could you let me know if righthand advantage is still a thing in Andromeda?

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    It sure is refreshing to see ANDROMEDA unlock at Midnite EST, rather than the more common 3 am EST.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Several pages ago now, someone mused about which videogames he'd rate as Perfect, 10/10. Here's my list:

X-COM, the original

HALF-LIFE 2

LEFT 4 DEAD 2

DIABLO

And these three games are not perfect, but I'd rank them as Honorable Mention Perfect, because of their immense quality and ambition:

MASS EFFECT 2

BALDURS GATE 2

WORLD OF WARCRAFT

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Should you send strike teams on high failire chance missions or no?

What is this I don't even.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Six and a half hours.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    guys pls dont be INSANELY jealous of my scarf

8)

DqaWpiGh.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

No, they can get negative traits that can effectively limit their ability on future missions.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    guys pls dont be INSANELY jealous of my scarf

8)

DqaWpiGh.jpg

Damn son.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I noticed to on the app, you can buy equipment with mission funds to give your team better success. Some of the costs are pretty high.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2017
    Preacher wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

No, they can get negative traits that can effectively limit their ability on future missions.

Well shit, I just sent my Strike team that had only successes (2) on a 29% mission.

It was still the highest percentage mission available though.

Sirialis on
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I noticed to on the app, you can buy equipment with mission funds to give your team better success. Some of the costs are pretty high.

You can do that ingame by going to the thing where you can recruit and look at your strike teams, and choosing the strike team. It'll go to the menu to get them equipment.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Phoenix138 wrote: »
    I know I could just wait a day and find out, but for those of you with early access could you let me know if righthand advantage is still a thing in Andromeda?

Clicky the right stick or whatever the PC equivalent is, and you swap shoulders.

dporowski wrote: »
    Phoenix138 wrote: »

Clicky the right stick or whatever the PC equivalent is, and you swap shoulders.

What I like is that with one handers you literally swap hands when you change shoulders.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    I kind of regret playing Multiplayer now. It spoiled some of the late game Kett and Remnant enemies for me. I think the SP reveals would have more impact if I didn't know the enemies already...

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.