As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect Andromeda: Pathfinder, I've detected a thread that you can post in

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'd be making a run at getting hired at Bioware before now if my brain wasn't such a mess

after seeing this? good god they need actual trans writers that are in a position to strike this down

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    my ideal romance:

"Hey, let's fuck."

"Just to get it out of the way, I have a dick."

"So... We still gonna fuck?"

"Sure, why not?"

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I'd be making a run at getting hired at Bioware before now if my brain wasn't such a mess

after seeing this? good god they need actual trans writers that are in a position to strike this down

So far as I'm concerned it's perfect evidence for why diversity in game characters or cast isn't enough.

The writing staff needs to be diverse too, because laird tunderun jaysus

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    That's basically like the trans character in Baldur's Gate expac, yeah?

You meet them and appropos of nothing they're like I'M TRANS

This is what it looks like when an allies try

Like, hey, they're trying. But, y'know, maybe some diversity in the ole writing staff there might uhhhh make that a little less kludgy

The Baldur's Gate character was at least slightly less poorly done if only because they didn't immediately deadname themselves when asked about their name.
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/gallery/14719.jpg

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Honestly avoiding that level of completely stupid writing shouldn't even need a trans writer. Just one that's even vaguely interacted with the trans community.

Even if someone is gonna be up front about being trans they aren't going to dead name themselves ever.

EDIT: The one really good read on this is that if this was the B-team for writing then they at least got the combat loop down flawlessly and if the A-team comes back for the sequel it'll finally be an ME game that doesn't have something really noticeably bad about it.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Ever been in a D&D game where one player unprompted decides to recite their character's entire tragic life story, in character, up to that point?

its like that but more offensive.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    My table top group has one guy who is allowed to play female PC's but is not allowed to dictate any of their backstory.

Because if we let him it falls into cliche's that are both painful and often sexist. Not because he's a shitty guy (well, sometimes because of that) but mostly because he's not the most creative and terrible cliche's are what he falls back on.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    jY4v9PJ.png
    kkKlPA8.png
    Ryder is kind of an asshole.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    ryder doesn't share her deadname everywhere

why does random NPC do it

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yo do I even want to know what hainly's voice is

Is she voiced by a fella

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    My table top group has one guy who is allowed to play female PC's but is not allowed to dictate any of their backstory.

Because if we let him it falls into cliche's that are both painful and often sexist. Not because he's a shitty guy (well, sometimes because of that) but mostly because he's not the most creative and terrible cliche's are what he falls back on.

so he's Hollywood basically

• Options
    In DAI you have the option to be an ignorant prick to Krem about his gender

Both Krem and Bull are like "fuck you dude" for it

• Options
    Except mostly motivated by popular youtubers that are very big on Opinions and Hot Takes.

Also tends to strongly parrot those opinions without self reflection or examining the subject of them himself. Which leaves him going from sounding like a reasonable person one second to endorsing idiocy the next.

He's... kinda a trip? I'd probably dislike him more but he's genuinely so clue less that it'd feel like kicking a puppy.

• Options
    Like I don't mind the protag in a video game about dialog options to have a dialog option to be a dingus

Especially if it is a dialog option that leads to like, challenging that viewpoint and like, a teachable moment?

But A.) it has to be well executed, which in this case lol, and B.) it's super important that this doesn't just like turn into a licence to be a hateful shitbag fantasy game

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I ended up choosing that option when talking about Krem with Bull completely by accident because I'm a dumb dumb who didn't pick up context clues my first run through and I felt like a magnificent shitheel when I realized what had just gone down.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I ended up choosing that option when talking about Krem with Bull completely by accident because I'm a dumb dumb who didn't pick up context clues my first run through and I felt like a magnificent shitheel when I realized what had just gone down.

So like, I didn't pick it, but I think that's actually kind of a good way to put that in a game? Like option A is obviously not be an asshole, but if someone is an asshole and picks option B the narrative then makes them feel like an asshole. Maybe it causes introspection and they change their views, maybe it helps them get off, who knows, but it seems like a kinda decent way to handle it.

But I'd definitely defer to people who is actively affected by this kind of thing rather than stick to my own view.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I had no idea about Krem until I'd talked with him like five times, because I am exactly as worthless at picking up on that sort of thing in vidyagames as I am in real life

• Options
    You can also ask Krem if he would get basically a magic version of SRS, if such a thing would be possible

And he's like, what the fuck, no

Because that kind of permanent body-modding would be blood magic, which for most people in Thedas is profane but Krem is from Tevinter. So for him it's not just fucked up but also the literal power of the oligarchy, he'd be using the thing that the oppressive, enslaving, demon-summoning maniacs that rule his country use in order to mod his body.

And he's like "fuck that shit"

He still has some dysphoria, but he'll deal with that with some packing. There's cultural baggage with throwing magic at the problem.

And I thought that was a sort of nice way of addressing how SRS isn't the be-all end-all of transition and not something all trans people want or should strive for at any cost, and that its an individual decision.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I don't like the matchmaking

It's obviously programmed to prioritize putting people into matches that are already going instead of into waiting lobbies

So when I try to join matches I only get matches that are already going, and when I try to host I sit there for 10 min without anyone getting put into the lobby

I don't want to join matches that are already going because chances are whoever left did so because the host is laggy

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Any notes on that patch that just installed this morning?

• Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    I don't like the matchmaking

It's obviously programmed to prioritize putting people into matches that are already going instead of into waiting lobbies

So when I try to join matches I only get matches that are already going, and when I try to host I sit there for 10 min without anyone getting put into the lobby

I don't want to join matches that are already going because chances are whoever left did so because the host is laggy

This was an issue with ME3's multi idk they didn't fix it

• Options
    this is officially two game purchases saved by ME3's multiplayer

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Well, my copy shipped early, according to Amazon . Dunno if I have time to play it tonight, but

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah a lot of people who preordered with amazon are getting their copies today, myself included

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    App is out now if you want to start sending you duders on apex missions or messing with your multi gear set up. Apex HQ.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Austin Walker says he's over 30 hours into the game and he's still waiting for it to start feeling like Mass Effect

He says he's been told the characters get really good "later," which is starting to sound like some Final Fantasy 13 stuff

I put eight hours into it and it felt like Mass Effect pretty early.

I guess it depends on what you think Mass Effect feels like.

Mass Effect is basically 'can i fuck cute aliens?' and how many cute aliens there are to fuck and whether they are funny or not.

Also Garrus.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    yeah a lot of people who preordered with amazon are getting their copies today, myself included

Fuck you guys. Mine comes by 8pm tomorrow

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    So new NVIDIA drivers out. I was getting 60 fps on Medium with GTX970. Hopefully I have enough minutes to try out High and see if I can get something above 40 fps.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Woo, got the Mattock in multi

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still I am going to wait and see
    I am curious about it but have little interest in the multiplayer

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I decided to preorder at the last minute, preloading now.

I don't have lofty expectations for the single player anymore, but I'm willing to put money down for more multiplayer.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Super neat that I can download the pre order bonus but am not able to pre load the dang game itself onto my PS4

Suuuuper neat

EDIT: nevermind, apparently I can, but the only way to do so is by searching for it in your library. Just going to the listing in your library won't let you.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Mike Team has returned successfully. Good job boys.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The first contact scene in this game really sucks

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Super neat that I can download the pre order bonus but am not able to pre load the dang game itself onto my PS4

Suuuuper neat

EDIT: nevermind, apparently I can, but the only way to do so is by searching for it in your library. Just going to the listing in your library won't let you.

Yeah, I was pretty baffled by why it worked via the search function.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I don't like that cryo blast and I assume flamethrower changed to channeled abilities instead of just a sweet ball of techno magic fire/ice

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    The first contact scene in this game really sucks
    Probably because first contact happened 2 years before you arrived.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I don't like that cryo blast and I assume flamethrower changed to channeled abilities instead of just a sweet ball of techno magic fire/ice

Flame thrower was always a channel? Incinerate is still fire and forget.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I just know I have to hold down the button to freeze fools on the basic engineer in multiplayer and its annoying

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I just know I have to hold down the button to freeze fools on the basic engineer in multiplayer and its annoying

Now you're throwing cold. So make sure to say "ICE TO MEET YOU!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.