As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I'm about 15 hours in and still on my first playthrough

Granted, this was because I spent a long time running around doing sidequests because I didn't think this game had fast travel in it. I was pretty upset when that was finally turned on.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    what is this dragon quest heroes game

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's a dynasty warriors game with a dragon quest skin, like hyrule warriors was a dynasty warriors game with a zelda skin

BahamutZERO.gif
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    IIRC the RPG mechanics in DQ Heroes are a bit more in depth than your average Dynasty Warriors game.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Went ahead and ordered Drakengard 3 since I'm having so much fun with Nier Automata. I need more of Yoko Taro's crazy bullshit in my life.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Maybe watch a video instead

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Eh, it was only 20 bucks, I'll at least give it a shot.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    that's 30$ more than drakengard 3 is worth

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Historically, Yoko Taro makes bad games that are very interesting

I didn't really like Drakengard 3, and Platinum's mechanical work on Automata makes all of the previous Yoko Taro games' gameplay pale by comparison IMO. The degree to which Drakengard 3 is horny and gory also made me kind of uncomfortable. I much prefer the nier/automata less gory and slightly less horny Yoko Taro aesthetic.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Drakengard 3 will always hold a special place in my heart just because of Zero.

She is very deliberately horny and violent, because she serves as a mirror of the male power fantasy. She is Yoko Taro's commentary on Kratos, to the point where the male characters are literally sex objects.

I always love when nerds get mad about Bioware being "SJW," because some of the stuff Yoko Taro does is more radical. But those type of people are too dumb to critically analyze their media, so it just flies right over their heads.

IKknkhU.gif
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    These are the people that literally say things like "there are no politics in Metal Gear games" so...

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The presentation, characters, and dialog in D3 are so great.

Weither that's worth it in conjustion with everything else is up to you.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    drakengard 3 is a deeply interesting commentary on videogames, and had ok gameplay

but oof that framerate

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I would give Drakengard 3 another shot if I could play a version that is at least locked to 30fps. Ideally 60.

I'm not a performance/resolution stickler, I just couldn't handle how poorly it ran.

also nier 1 had frank plot points on queer theory

edited March 2017

To be fair, I did find it mostly enjoyable to play. Fairly repetitive, yes, but I only found it frustrating in the back third. And the final final boss is garbage that I never beat.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Tales of Symphonia. Yes, the first one.

It's so anime. My god. So anime. I don't really mind it, though I do feel like I should find some kind of guide so I know what I'm doing in combat.

yoko taro goes into some shit in his videogames

Moriveth wrote: »

It's so anime. My god. So anime. I don't really mind it, though I do feel like I should find some kind of guide so I know what I'm doing in combat.

get up in peoples dicks with lloyd and never let up

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

get up in peoples dicks with lloyd and never let up

That's what I'm doing so far!

It's weird because I can't figure out how to really activate techs reliably???

Also, what the hell is the deal with so many JRPGs having large cooking mechanics?

I mean, food's great. It's just... unusual to see it as a common feature in JRPGs.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Also, people talk about Zero but for reals, Accord was great.

Every problem that occurs in Nier is the result of someone (usually Nier himself) stubbornly refusing to consider the world from a different perspective or reflect on the consequences their actions might have on others.

IKknkhU.gif
    Stilts wrote: »

Every problem that occurs in Nier is the result of someone (usually Nier himself) stubbornly refusing to consider the world from a different perspective or reflect on the consequences their actions might have on others.

he is 100% justified in murdering the fuck out of every shade though

everything bad that happens in Nier is because of Caim

Nier usually is a victim of circumstance more than anything

Remeber that the inspiration for Nier was 9/11. Dead serious.

Accord is great, but there's not much to talk about with her, because her purpose is largely metatextual. She doesn't really tie into the themes of the game very well (which is fine; she's supposed to feel out of place).

IKknkhU.gif

taro wanted to explore the idea of how somebody could do something so completely monstrous while feeling justified in their actions

the big problem with that is that the shadowlord is a selfish piece of shit and shades with a small exception are mindless monsters

every sentient shade attacks the party on sight without question based solely on circumstance too

Accord is great, but there's not much to talk about with her, because her purpose is largely metatextual. She doesn't really tie into the themes of the game very well (which is fine; she's supposed to feel out of place).

But that's part of what makes her so great.

Yoko Taro delibertly pushes boundries of what you can and/or should do in video game naratives, the meta, and the 4th wall.

Automata extends this even further.

To be fair, I did find it mostly enjoyable to play. Fairly repetitive, yes, but I only found it frustrating in the back third. And the final final boss is garbage that I never beat.

the final final boss is probably my favorite thing in the game but I only watched a video of it

BahamutZERO.gif

taro wanted to explore the idea of how somebody could do something so completely monstrous while feeling justified in their actions

the big problem with that is that the shadowlord is a selfish piece of shit and shades with a small exception are mindless monsters

every sentient shade attacks the party on sight without question based solely on circumstance too

On this, one of my favorite moments in NG+.
    Finding out Kaine can understand all the shades perfectly, including the peaceful ones wanting to be left alone or the ones calling for mercy.

And she gives no shits, happily murdering them.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Kaine is a good character whose treatment still makes me think Yoko Taro is secretly 13 under that moon

dN0T6ur.png

On this, one of my favorite moments in NG+.
    Finding out Kaine can understand all the shades perfectly, including the peaceful ones wanting to be left alone or the ones calling for mercy.

And she gives no shits, happily murdering them.

the only time that really happens is the baby shade and the shield bros (both of whom still attack you on sight)

Question: Who didn't fall in love with Nier from the cold open of Kaine cussing out Weiss as soon as you boot up the game?

Wyborn wrote: »
    Kaine is a good character whose treatment still makes me think Yoko Taro is secretly 13 under that moon

the kojima effect

The Shadowlord is just trying to enact the plan to save humanity as it's supposed to go. It's not his fault the Gestalts developed sentience for some reason.

IKknkhU.gif
    everything bad that happens in Nier is because of Caim

Nier usually is a victim of circumstance more than anything

Everything bad is because of The Watchers and/or the Cult of the Watchers.

edited March 2017
    Wyborn wrote: »

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif

The Shadowlord is just trying to enact the plan to save humanity as it's supposed to go. It's not his fault the Gestalts developed sentience for some reason.

but he isn't though

the plan already failed

he's just being a selfish dickbag

This discussion has been closed.