As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Stuff! Thor is covered in brains!

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Im rewatching civil war for the first time since the theater and man

I just can not see eye to eye with whoever said the airport scene drags down the movie because I am still grinning from ear to ear.

EDIT: the Empire line is the most unbelievable thing the whole movie though.

Yeah, that was probably me.

I could personally go without a large action-figure fight where none of the combatants are tying to actively hurt each other.

Replace that entire action scene with all of the Avengers in a heated discussion, I'd enjoy that way more.

that's interesting because the fact that nobody really want to hurt each other is what makes me able to enjoy it.

Especially as a way of changing things up with the finale.

As some others have expressed though, it is a fight scene with little to no gravity.

Maybe if you had had characters expressing thoughts and trying to have a discourse during the fight, I'd be on board.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The airport scene felt like "Requisite big action set piece"

Like it had to be there because this is a superhero movie so there has to be some kind of big bombastic action scene, and I guess this'll be it?

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    I enjoyed Civil War enough, I guess, but I don't know why Spider-Man was in it. Like, story wise it makes no sense for Tony to bring a child into their fight
    "I gotta go get some dudes to help me punch these dudes!"

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    The idea of them trying not to explicitly hurt each other is a saving grace for the fight. But I think it's more just the floaty physics of it all.

I have a feeling it's a lot of the rigid scheduling that hampers the quality of these though. Like a lot of films are doing full cgi sequences where this isn't nearly as big of a problem (all of the giant monster movies come to mind)

But I feel like cracking these out two to three a year really means you don't get time for polish.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The airport scene is there so we can have the image of two opposing sides staring each other down and then charging each other, and I'm completely fine with that.

Also, the only part that actually distracted me with the thought of "oh that's CGI" was Black Panther's triple jump kick.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    The airport scene is there so we can have the image of two opposing sides staring each other down and then charging each other, and I'm completely fine with that.

Also, the only part that actually distracted me with the thought of "oh that's CGI" was Black Panther's triple jump kick.

Roy On Arrow can do that naturally

Black Panther was almost entirely cgi when in costume. They ended up having to digitally replace the costume in every shot if I recall correctly.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Having a South
    TrippyJing wrote: »

I remember reading that they CG'd a lot of Black Panther's footage, but I could've sworn I saw a screencap of them doing it with wires.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Maddoc wrote: »

Like it had to be there because this is a superhero movie so there has to be some kind of big bombastic action scene, and I guess this'll be it?
    It had a greater narrative purpose. That's the movie transitioning between being an Avengers story to being a Steve and Tony story. It resolves everybody else's part in the story in a logical way while also furthering the characterization of both by showing how compromised the both of them have become based on the people they risk.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

It had a greater narrative purpose. That's the movie transitioning between being an Avengers story to being a Steve and Tony story. It resolves everybody else's part in the story in a logical way while also furthering the characterization of both by showing how compromised the both of them have become based on the people they risk.

Everyone else, in this instance, including all of the people who were dragged into the movie explicitly to participate in the fight.

Straightzi wrote: »

Everyone else, in this instance, including all of the people who were dragged into the movie explicitly to participate in the fight.

Which is only Spider-man and Antman.

I suppose maybe Hawkeye.

And they serve the second point I mentioned.

Quire.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I suppose maybe Hawkeye.

I hadn't seen your edits, admittedly.

But I hate that Spider-Man and Antman are there, that was my exact point.

It feels like the characters trying to turn it into a real conflict by recruiting additional soldiers, as opposed to trying to resolve the conflict that already exists between the aggrieved parties.

Especially for Cap, who allegedly doesn't want to escalate things and just wants to find his friend, taking a couple of days off to regroup and meet up in the parking lot makes no sense.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I suppose maybe Hawkeye.

Technically Cap's team was there to head to Siberia and stop Zemo.

edited March 2017

I suppose maybe Hawkeye.

It feels like the characters trying to turn it into a real conflict by recruiting additional soldiers, as opposed to trying to resolve the conflict that already exists between the aggrieved parties.

Especially for Cap, who allegedly doesn't want to escalate things and just wants to find his friend, taking a couple of days off to regroup and meet up in the parking lot makes no sense.

Like undead said that group was going to Siberia to crush some super soldiers. He already had Bucky but had been convinced he needed to stop a world ending event.

My second point wasn't an edit. Its that by requiring these two Steve and Tony reveal that their decision making has become compromised even more than you might think. Steve asks a father with nothing to do with anything to leave his kid and knows he'll come because you don't say no to Captain America and Tony tracks down a 15 year old because he has a device that could bring his friends down without hurting them and puts him in the firing lines. Its not as if removing them would have made that fight less of a giant all out brawl.

Although it would have made it a lot less fun.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    edited March 2017
    So there is a rumor floating around for GoTG 2 that is very likely not true. But if it is...fine I'll go watch it. It's based on some real flimsy stuff. But that's the internet for you. I mostly want it to be true for @Rorshach Kringle And because it's absolutely too good to be true.
    So it's come out that Michael Rosenbaum is playing a significant character in the cosmic scene of Marvel comics. And that he apparently plays a second fiddle or partner role to Sylvester Stallone's mystery character. The likelihood is a couple of Nova dudes. Or Adam Warlock stuff. Buuuut some stuff is going around about the notions that James Gunn was able to get the negotiations on a trade for Negasonic for Ego going. And that there might be more to it. Stuff like Sylvester Stallone playing Galactus with Rosenbaum as Silver Surfer. Which could fit in with him going for Ego.

Again. Almost certainly 100% bullshit, but it's creative bullshit.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    So there is a rumor floating around for GoTG 2 that is very likely not true. But if it is...fine I'll go watch it. It's based on some real flimsy stuff. But that's the internet for you. I mostly want it to be true for @Rorshach Kringle And because it's absolutely too good to be true.
    So it's come out that Michael Rosenbaum is playing a significant character in the cosmic scene of Marvel comics. And that he apparently plays a second fiddle or partner role to Sylvester Stallone's mystery character. The likelihood is a couple of Nova dudes. Or Adam Warlock stuff. Buuuut some stuff is going around about the notions that James Gunn was able to get the negotiations on a trade for Negasonic for Ego going. And that there might be more to it. Stuff like Sylvester Stallone playing Galactus with Rosenbaum as Silver Surfer. Which could fit in with him going for Ego.

i need this to be true more than you can possibly understand

so, it can't be

6vjsgrerts6r.png

If in some impossible means it is true.

I will see it day one. Just for the audacity. Which is hard for me to say.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    I just realized the best part of this rumor and why I need it more than ever to be true.
    Tango and Cash

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Never heard of that base thing before
    Negasonic is pretty thoroughly an X-Men character, while Ego first appeared in Thor and is a widely used character, so I'm surprised that it turns out they were part of some sort of trade. Weird but true, I guess.

edited March 2017

Negasonic is pretty thoroughly an X-Men character, while Ego first appeared in Thor and is a widely used character, so I'm surprised that it turns out they were part of some sort of trade. Weird but true, I guess.

yeah the story behind that shit is fucking nuts, but true

basically, marvel got ego because fox wanted to change negasonic's powers because rights are weird

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-guardians-galaxy-2-were-because-a-mixup-947712

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

yeah the story behind that shit is fucking nuts, but true

basically, marvel got ego because fox wanted to change negasonic's powers because rights are weird

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-guardians-galaxy-2-were-because-a-mixup-947712

The rights situation around Marvel is such an entangled and intertwined mess, once you get off the "A" level, at this point that I am almost shocked that somebody hasn't just flat out used a character they probably don't have the rights too and pieced together some rube-goldbergian, conspiracy theory board level nonsense to justify their ownership and simply tried to get away with it. I am honestly shocked at how well they have all tried to play together in the sandbox given how easy it seems like it would be to just use the confusion to your advantage. Spidey was interesting especially, I could honestly see a world where Fox and Disney get together to do a crossover.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

I suppose maybe Hawkeye.

almost like steve is compromised by his obsession with helping his one last remaining link to his past beyond all else.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains

the tweet I was previously talking about with baby groot specifically said
    "I was more worried about pitching baby groot to Marvel than Ego the living planet"

so I don't see how it's way out there, it seems kind of expected? He said that in October.

I would say, not to fan the flames of it too much is
    It would explain why they spoiled the hell out of Kurt Russell being Ego and Peter's dad. Basically running distraction on the bigger reveal.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The airport fight was fine, aside from the weird kick from Black Panther

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

I suppose maybe Hawkeye.

almost like steve is compromised by his obsession with helping his one last remaining link to his past beyond all else.

It's a good game and deserves to be archived

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

I suppose maybe Hawkeye.

It's a good game and deserves to be archived

A+

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Marvel Unlimited now has the first 22 issues of Busiek's Thunderbolts!!

@Blankzilla @Rorshach Kringle

fine i'll finally get marvel unlimited

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The airport scene was okay, fine really, but it didn't really bring anything to the movie I felt, other than being the big action scene that draws all the punters (which, hey, it's there to make paper, it made paper)

Personally as much as I think they nailed Spider-Man, I'd have cut Spider-Man and that whole thing, and cut the airport fight as well as the gathering of all the various different characters

Just made it a personal thing between basically Steve, with Bucky and Sam, and the pro-reg guys (Tony, Rhodey, Natasha and T'Challa). Essentially less of a Civil War and more of a Cap plus his closest pals go rogue type story. I would have liked that more.

Like honestly Hawkeye didn't need to be in the movie at all, or Ant-Man, or really Vision and Scarlet Witch all that much though yes admittedly they were relevant because as Avengers they were part of the initial story

Personally I would have just made it so that Tony tells Vision to keep Wanda at the base, and Wanda basically confronts him on it the first time she wants to go, and Vision lets her leave because he's a good dude who realises this ain't cool, and then that's more of a plot element which relates to Tony losing his grasp of the situation when she gets into some trouble with the media

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    The airport scene was okay, fine really, but it didn't really bring anything to the movie I felt, other than being the big action scene that draws all the punters (which, hey, it's there to make paper, it made paper)

Personally as much as I think they nailed Spider-Man, I'd have cut Spider-Man and that whole thing, and cut the airport fight as well as the gathering of all the various different characters

Just made it a personal thing between basically Steve, with Bucky and Sam, and the pro-reg guys (Tony, Rhodey, Natasha and T'Challa). Essentially less of a Civil War and more of a Cap plus his closest pals go rogue type story. I would have liked that more.

That's an interesting point. You might have something there. But the problem that Marvel movies are now facing that comics have faced for decades is, "How come Superhero X isn't there?" whenever something big like this pops up. They managed to get Thor and Hulk away from Civil War, but then they'd have to bring up reasons for everyone else stepping out of the fray.

Hmmm...
    • Well Hawkeye was gone, so he could've stayed gone.
    • Scarlet Witch could've refused to participate after the initial incident (and used in other dramatic scenes not tied to using her powers in fights).
    • Vision, similarly, could have refused to participate due to his own burgeoning feelings for Wanda and trying to figure out what he's evolving into.
    • Ant-Man was basically brought in because of Spider-Man. So they cancel each other out. ("I know a guy" "I know a guy, too!")
    • And Black Widow plays both sides (per usual) like she does in the movie. And there's still Agent 13.

Honestly that could probably work. I wouldn't be surprised if they originally started small like that and then it just kind of blew up. I will say that the characters who are left don't exactly bring a lot of levity, so it was nice to have counterweights like Ant-Man and Spider-Man to remind everyone that it's serious but not THAT serious.

edited March 2017
    I conceed that there were other ways to get the Avengers put of the story. I just feel that this choice was a good one. It transitions logically and seemlessly and the scene was fun and had a ton of little character moments and yes was a nice bit of spectical.

I also think that the wedge between Tony and Steve meant more by costing their friends so much. It put more weight on the confict.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    Solar wrote: »

That's an interesting point. You might have something there. But the problem that Marvel movies are now facing that comics have faced for decades is, "How come Superhero X isn't there?" whenever something big like this pops up. They managed to get Thor and Hulk away from Civil War, but then they'd have to bring up reasons for everyone else stepping out of the fray.

Hmmm...
    • Well Hawkeye was gone, so he could've stayed gone.
    • Scarlet Witch could've refused to participate after the initial incident (and used in other dramatic scenes not tied to using her powers in fights).
    • Vision, similarly, could have refused to participate due to his own burgeoning feelings for Wanda and trying to figure out what he's evolving into.
    • Ant-Man was basically brought in because of Spider-Man. So they cancel each other out. ("I know a guy" "I know a guy, too!")
    • And Black Widow plays both sides (per usual) like she does in the movie. And there's still Agent 13.

Honestly that could probably work. I wouldn't be surprised if they originally started small like that and then it just kind of blew up. I will say that the characters who are left don't exactly bring a lot of levity, so it was nice to have counterweights like Ant-Man and Spider-Man to remind everyone that it's serious but not THAT serious.

Scarlet Witch is conflicted and doesn't want to use her powers on the other Avengers. That makes perfect sense; fighting your friends without a strong personal incentive to do so is actually something that the movie should treat as being as difficult as it mostly does (airport fight aside), with the only real kick off being right at the end, and only because Tony is genuinely furious. Same with Vision. What, he disagrees with both of his friends in his own way so he's going to laser beam them in the chest? No.

Black Widow and Agent 13 both are very relevant to the story and play important roles, like in Winter Soldier. So they stay. Basically the superhero cast is Cap, Falcon, Winter Soldier on one side, Iron Man, War Machine, Black Widow and Black Panther on the other. Everyone else who is around at the beginning of the movie doesn't take part for whatever reason, because ultimately they are only re-introduced to punch each other. Anyone who's movie role is to punch someone in the airport scene gets cut. Boom.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    At the same time, the fight was fun and entertaining, and we all knew going in that nobody was actually going to kill each other and they were going to pull their punches, so it's not the end of the world that we got something out of it.

It could've been worse. Age of Ultron, for example... (Ouch.)

edited March 2017
    the most fucked up thing about civil war is scott lang just got out of prison, and then hanging out with captain america for a single fucking day gets him locked up in a super secret ultra prison.

steve better fuckin' apologize to him every goddamn day.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

edited March 2017
    Yeah. While a lot of characters aren't particularly necessary to Civil War, Scott is the really the only one who feels like his movie/arc is totally undercut by his presence.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    That said, Scott being so happy just to be a part of the team was a delight.

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    They maybe should have spent more time on it but i think Scott being the one who gets screwed over the most and knows the least is very intentional

It's kind of a neat coincidence that Ant-man and Spider-man are the respective sacrificial lambs of the two sides

My poor innocent bug boys

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    the first arc of Eddie Brock-as-Venom has him fighting Stegron's dinosaur army and is entitled "The Land Before Crime"

this may be the fastest I've 180'd on a book

This discussion has been closed.