As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MechWarrior/Battletech] The Oosik Irregulars are going to become canon! *EVACUATE THREAD*

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hm, I feel like my stable of mechs lacks some good brawling capacity.

I'm thinking something with an ac/20 could be fun. What do folks recommend?

Don't go with that easy mode Clan stuff. Brawl like a Freeborn: CP-10-Q: XL400, 7 SRM6

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    How hard is it to get the macro app working that manages AC's for you? I feel like I'm missing out not using the most broken guns right now.

This thing has been around since beta I believe. Its basically a set of macros designed for MWO that don't require a fancy keyboard or anything. I think it even has a TAG toggle built in. I haven't used it personally, but I've meant to check it out for forever.

http://evilc.com/joomla/articles/9-code/autohotkey/11-adhd-fire-control

I use it for TAG toggling, haven't tried it with macro AC firing.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Cataphract.

No no, hear me out. It's a really good okay mech.

It looks really good?

Whatever, I like it.

AC20 in the torso, MPLs in the arm/other energy hardpoints.

Move to New Zealand
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    ER PPCs are too damn hot. My PHX-1B got machine gunned to death by a Kit Fox :( Why do these things need to generate 15 heat? 12 would be about right, normal PPCs should be 8 or 9.

IIRC, PPC heat was at 8 and 12 during the days of quad PPC stalker and HGN/Victor poptart meta. That shit sucked.

If you have the MC, I heartily recommend the Yen Lo Wang. Great AC20 quirks, 100 kph with max engine. Great Scouting mode mech.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
    Mortious wrote: »

Cataphract.

No no, hear me out. It's a really good okay mech.

It looks really good?

Whatever, I like it.

AC20 in the torso, MPLs in the arm/other energy hardpoints.

Yeah, ECM makes everything better. My Cyclops P feels like ass right now but gets the job done in the weirdest, most head scratching sort of way. CTF-0XP is probably a solid choice, however... The Warhammer can do almost everything the Cataphract can, with slightly less quirks and no ECM, but man. The hardpoints are so nice. 70 tons is a really competitive weight class.

edited March 2017
    ER PPCs are too damn hot. My PHX-1B got machine gunned to death by a Kit Fox :( Why do these things need to generate 15 heat? 12 would be about right, normal PPCs should be 8 or 9.

IIRC, PPC heat was at 8 and 12 during the days of quad PPC stalker and HGN/Victor poptart meta. That shit sucked.

Yeah, I was there for it, and nearly every mech was running a Standard Engine because engine caps were so low and everything was slow as fuck. PPCs were literally 7 ton, infinite ammo Gauss Rifles in the land of mech Yugos. There was no ghost heat. One jump jet let you go as high as you could possibly want, and was as fast as a full set. It was a completely different world.

Clan mechs have even more damage, are faster, enjoy more heatsinks and lighter ballistics on top of it. If Clans had to deal with the heat/damage of the IS ERPPC, they'd be generating 22 heat a shot.

edit: Also, I could be wrong, but at peak PPC I believe they were 7 and 10 heat. The LPL and ERLL were 8 heat.

nonoffensive on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I would have recommended the Bounty Hunter II for an awesome AC20 brawler, but it costs cbills. Maybe the King Crab with dual AC20s?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

I would have recommended the Bounty Hunter II for an awesome AC20 brawler, but it costs cbills. Maybe the King Crab with dual AC20s?

Oh geez, how could I forget the GRF-2N. This thing is the apex IS predator. If you are gonna run IS, you need at least one of these.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Oh geez, how could I forget the GRF-2N. This thing is the apex IS predator. If you are gonna run IS, you need at least one of these.

In my experience the griffin is shit in the brawl, in big part because of the XL dependence.

Buttcleft wrote: »

In my experience the griffin is shit in the brawl, in big part because of the XL dependence.

I mean, you can run it as a Std275, 4 SRM4/Flamer duelist, but nothing beats a 95kph 48 damage ECM backstab in Quick Play. Generally, if you are getting shot at, you are doing it wrong. I 1v1'd a PPC/Gauss Kodiak with this after killing 3 other mechs. Luck plays a sizable part, but you'll make some magic happen, trust me.

I was focusing on the AC20 request, but yeah there are lots of fun brawling builds out there.

oosik_betsuni.png

I don't use them in QP due to everything favouring range, but it's my goto FP mech. Both scouting and invasion* it punches above its weight class.

*did they rename this to Seige?

Move to New Zealand

I mean, you can run it as a Std275, 4 SRM4/Flamer duelist, but nothing beats a 95kph 48 damage ECM backstab in Quick Play. Generally, if you are getting shot at, you are doing it wrong. I 1v1'd a PPC/Gauss Kodiak with this after killing 3 other mechs. Luck plays a sizable part, but you'll make some magic happen, trust me.

Luck is the overwhelming part of it. You can run a Griffin and get really lucky 1 out of 8 matches.

Or you can run something else and do good in 6 out of 8 matches.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    nonoffensive's argument about how to play a Griffin doesn't really sound like a brawler to me? Like, if the idea is to dart in, tear the enemy's backside up, and then move out to avoid getting fired back at... that's a skirmisher, I thought. I was under the impression that a brawler implied someone who gets stuck in and dukes it out with enemies.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I call it a brawler because its a short range, melee mech. I guess everyone's definition is different, but I consider it a brawler. The 3M I would consider more of a duelist. Better 1v1, but less impact in a 12v12 environment. You can duel in a 2N, but I save that to the end of a match if I can. You'll probably get the kill, but you can get a ton more done if you're patient.

My stats are right there on page 38. I've played 30 games (QP/FW/Scouting) with that exact build (minus some arm armor for an extra jj) since I bought it and averaged about 2 kills per game. Instead of relying on insane DPS or structure quirks to win a duel, its all about getting into range without taking a ton of damage. The ECM lets you do that, and once you are close your big alpha lets you twist and use the arms to take a lot of punishment before they are even touching your torso. In QP, most people won't even notice you if you have teammates nearby distracting them. You can soften targets up with your high hardpoints and jump jets before you commit face to face. Sure I get 1 shot by a Kodiak I didn't see every once in awhile, but if you play to your strengths you can get a lot done.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The MAD-5M (I think that's the one) can be run similarly to the BH2. While you can get the AC20 into the side torso like all the MADs, it only has five energy hardpoints split between the arms (3 in one, 2 in the other).

Alternatively, could wait for the MAD-IICs to come out for cbills and pick up the -D variant (twin-UAC20 with ECM, TC, and tonnage left over for a couple backup lasers).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    I forgot about the other Marauders other than the one with the 3 Ballistics that I turned into 3MGs at one point.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I forgot about the other Marauders other than the one with the 3 Ballistics that I turned into 3MGs at one point.

How did that work? Thought you needed to boat mgs to get anything done .

Three is enough to see results. You want at least 4 on a light or medium so you don't have to face tank a ton of damage, or hang around too long.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Having always had House Liao sympathies, having an ac20 ECM Cataphract sounds preeeeety dope.

Three is enough to see results. You want at least 4 on a light or medium so you don't have to face tank a ton of damage, or hang around too long.

It was funny seeing the enemy run at the sound of plinking. Then I would core their backs with MLs and scoop out their fragile innards. Makes me want to run it again since it was more of a troll build.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    How hard is it to get the macro app working that manages AC's for you? I feel like I'm missing out not using the most broken guns right now.

This thing has been around since beta I believe. Its basically a set of macros designed for MWO that don't require a fancy keyboard or anything. I think it even has a TAG toggle built in. I haven't used it personally, but I've meant to check it out for forever.

Is there a way to set up something like to do like "yo when I activate TAG turn off my AMS"

Because Kit Fox (KFX-S)

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »

Is there a way to set up something like to do like "yo when I activate TAG turn off my AMS"

Because Kit Fox (KFX-S)

That..physically pains me.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I won't lie, I want to run that Kit Fox.

Even though it is a total waste of a slot on the team.

I just want to run around yelling "I'M HELPING" while I contribute nothing. :D

edited March 2017

Because Kit Fox (KFX-S)

Yes and no.

You can map multiple keys to the same key, or vice versa and have them behave differently when you do, so you could map a key to both toggle the TAG key, and press whatever the AMS key is, but it wont check wether the TAG is on or off when doing that.

This might become a problem if you alt-tab out, or open the menu, or the scoreboard as it could get out of sync.

edit: Also I was under the impression that a 3rd AMS doesn't actually help due to how the targetting for it works.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    edited March 2017
    I dunno I just wanna run that under the Skill Tree with AMS absolutely maxed the fuck out and just stand behind the assaults and run end-arounds and grief

Tox on
    Been getting a good amount of money from the event. This has been canceled out by some of the worst teams ever . How much xp would I need to max out my mechs under the new system again? I know my warhammer and black knight are good to go since they are already mastered and have 100K xp on them on top of that but since im not buying 3 marauders I would like to know how much xp I need to earn on it before. The good news is that I likely have till the end of the year to grind it.

edited March 2017
    Been getting a good amount of money from the event. This has been canceled out by some of the worst teams ever . How much xp would I need to max out my mechs under the new system again? I know my warhammer and black knight are good to go since they are already mastered and have 100K xp on them on top of that but since im not buying 3 marauders I would like to know how much xp I need to earn on it before. The good news is that I likely have till the end of the year to grind it.

Non posted this a page ago.
    So I figured I'd spent some time figuring out how to survive the new skill tree. The easiest way to compare is with the weapon tree. Its impossible to know what the final product will look like unless PGI releases more info, but I figure the raw bonuses will probably be about the same when it goes live.

These are greedy builds. I basically grabbed every node that helps without wasting points on other weapons. There are tradeoffs, like maybe you don't need range for missiles, so you could save a few points here and there. Heat skills are way more important than they used to be since you'll have less heat cap than you are used to.

Laser Build: 25 points - 7.5% optimal, -15% duration, 4% cooldown, -5% heat gen
    ilnue8oxqmyx.png

Ballistic/UAC: 27 points - 10% optimal, 20% velocity, 4% cooldown, 3% heat gen, 16 mag capacity, -5% jam chance
    jpm8k3kgluju.png

Missiles: 33 points - 33 points, 9% optimal, 20% velocity, 4% cooldown, 15% missile crit, 2 ammo, 5% heat gen, -7.5% spread
    8nrgbydz8pkb.png

So while missiles take the most points, they also get some pretty nice bonuses. But what about PPCs? This is where things get a little weird. Here's what I came up with.

PPCs: 15 points - 7.5% optimal, 20% velocity, 1.6% cooldown, 3% heat gen
    yhwrp059cxgy.png

Its less points, but you'd need to waste points to get more. Ballistic/PPC is actually a pretty strong combo, but lasers would get you more heat savings. Overall, its not a badly laid out tree, although I wish the Ammo bonuses were shared like velocity and cooldown.

Operations: 22 points - 9% heat cap, 16% dissapation, 35% shutdown/startup
    t0poyabc5yp1.png

The lower heat bonuses seem pretty nasty, designed to require points in Coolshot. With the new system, you are going to be pretty strapped for CBills, so I don't think its a great investment. This is where the mastery/pay-to-win aspect rears its head a little. The operations tree doesn't include old bonuses like 20% heat cap that you got from getting Elite on a mech. Hill climb, legged speed and gyros are nice, but not essential, wasting precious points.

Sensors: 11 points - 12% info speed, 9% sensor range, 60% radar dep, 100m seismic
    jxja7pof8itf.png

11000xp is a lot to get Seismic and Radar Dep, but it'll probably be all but the bare minimum. To get full bonuses, you'll need to spend 19 or even 21 points for ECM. Radar Dep doesn't do much for an ECM mech, especially with the upcoming Stealth Armor.

Now we come to Mobility and Survival. These are huge point sink trees that can gobble up all your remaining points. You've spent about 58 to 66 already, so you'll have about 30 more to split between these.

The good news is the Mobility Tree is pretty generous up front, and you can get big agility boosts in 12 points. I'd say grabbing 3 points for 10% braking and acceleration might be your first goal, especially with agility separated from engines. You'll have to decide how to spent your points, but the main key is to take as few arm quirks as possible. Speed Tweak is buried at the end, I daresay it may not be worth getting on most mechs.

Mobility: 12 points - 40% accel, 40% braking, 6% turn speed
    b5hoi50nf2fh.png

Finally Survival. The bonuses here are so bad, and you need to constantly take skills like Fall Damage and Legged Speed to get anywhere. I'd say 7 points is about the most you'd want to spend unless you expect to be falling a lot or want pathetic AMS quirks. The left side of the tree is basically locked behind skills a heavy or assault would never want. Maybe it's actually a better deal for Lights or Mediums, but then you probably aren't taking the sensor skills a good "scout" should.

Survival: 7 points - -3% crit chance, -10% fall damage, 10.4% bonus structure, 3.2% armor
    1bwvd1am3g99.png

So there's my basic spec. You'd have about 5-10 more points to grab some extras or get consumable bonuses. ECM mechs might actually want to sacrifice points in Sensors since they'll have private ECM (who needs to share?) instead of needing radar dep. Weapons, Mobility and Survival are going to be your biggest sinks with Survival having the worst payoff imo.

Guess we'll see what happens when it finally goes live.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png

The real answer is we won't know until they fo live with it. Last I saw unlocks were ~800XP per node, so you'd want a little over 72k in XP/GXP to spend per mech, since it's 91 nodes max

Here's the absolute minimum you need for max armor from the Survival Tree: https://nbarnes.github.io/mwo_skill_tree_planner/?02efd150-0e6b-11e7-a0ba-2bca9fc9f5a4

16 points, although I think picking up the extra Structure for 17 is a good idea. You can also grab another Crit node for 18 points, but I'm honestly not sure 1% is gonna make a huge difference.

Here's the most efficient Speed Tweak tree I can get out of mobility: https://nbarnes.github.io/mwo_skill_tree_planner/?9c89901d-0e6b-11e7-a0ba-ad8bc780d792

30 points! Ug. I mean, you can skip more for only 27, but I figure Anchor Turn is pretty important to have with the extra speed. You can sacrifice more Accel/Decel if you are feeling brave, but I'd actually recommend spending 32 for the full 50%. The two Arm Pitch nodes are a heavy gate to get past. You could just go up one side of the tree, which I think will be much more popular with lighter mechs that don't have a huge engine and mix weapons, like the Panther.

You'd probably only want to invest that much in these trees for a build that's only using PPCs, or maybe a Laser build that sacrifices sensors.

I guess that's some silver lining of the new Skill Tree system, it gimps LRM boats even more than they already are.

Also I'm a little mad that I missed LRM boat night. If we do that again, we need to do it on a Saturday. This Saturday would be nice.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Here's the absolute minimum you need for max armor from the Survival Tree: https://nbarnes.github.io/mwo_skill_tree_planner/?02efd150-0e6b-11e7-a0ba-2bca9fc9f5a4

16 points, although I think picking up the extra Structure for 17 is a good idea. You can also grab another Crit node for 18 points, but I'm honestly not sure 1% is gonna make a huge difference.

Here's the most efficient Speed Tweak tree I can get out of mobility: https://nbarnes.github.io/mwo_skill_tree_planner/?9c89901d-0e6b-11e7-a0ba-ad8bc780d792

30 points! Ug. I mean, you can skip more for only 27, but I figure Anchor Turn is pretty important to have with the extra speed. You can sacrifice more Accel/Decel if you are feeling brave, but I'd actually recommend spending 32 for the full 50%. The two Arm Pitch nodes are a heavy gate to get past. You could just go up one side of the tree, which I think will be much more popular with lighter mechs that don't have a huge engine and mix weapons, like the Panther.

You'd probably only want to invest that much in these trees for a build that's only using PPCs, or maybe a Laser build that sacrifices sensors.

The five Speed Tweak nodes being at the bottom of that tree....ugh.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Also apparently the two "best" mechs to use for LRM boating are either the 4xLRM-10 HBK IIC or the 6xLRM-5 MDD on the Clan side, with the Hunchie also getting special mention on the IS side.

Although personally I'm a fan of the 4xLRM-15a Hunchie IIC, because endless supply of missiles.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Also apparently the two "best" mechs to use for LRM boating are either the 4xLRM-10 HBK IIC or the 6xLRM-5 MDD on the Clan side, with the Hunchie also getting special mention on the IS side.

Although personally I'm a fan of the 4xLRM-15a Hunchie IIC, because endless supply of missiles.

That Mad Dog is just kinda fine as a missile build, and mostly is better meta-wise because you have a whole lot of backup laser space with only 6x5's for missiles.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »

That Mad Dog is just kinda fine as a missile build, and mostly is better meta-wise because you have a whole lot of backup laser space with only 6x5's for missiles.

Yeah, like the Hunchie kinda "wins" because it's light enough that you're not really hampering your team. The MDD gets credit because it's a good missile build with lots of weight and space for back up stuff.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I kinda liked the Timber Wolf that I hacked together for our event: 4xLRM15+A, 4xERSL, and a CAP. One thing I might've done (if I hadn't sold off the other variants) was to use the -A CT to get access to the CT energy hardpoint and replace the CAP with a TAG.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited March 2017
    I liked running the Mad Dog with 2xA-LRM10s and 4 ERML + TAG.

The single missle hardpoint ST pods have 10% velocity and CD quirks.

Granted that probably doesn't count as a LRM boat since it doesn't actually boat LRMs.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I kinda liked the Timber Wolf that I hacked together for our event: 4xLRM15+A, 4xERSL, and a CAP. One thing I might've done (if I hadn't sold off the other variants) was to use the -A CT to get access to the CT energy hardpoint and replace the CAP with a TAG.

When I ran a lrm timberwolf, I replaced one of the launchers with a NARC launcher. Peek over the hilltop, deploy a NARC, then backup out of line of sight and lrm away.

It's something that the Sphere can never do with backup weapons on such an agile and robust platform.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    So when I started this game some time ago I spent all my money on an ebon jag, absolutely despised it and ended up playing with trial mechs forever. I had a KDR of .20 ~ . I now after all this goddamn time playing on and off have reached positive kdr. It would be a happy moment if it wasn't so sad.

Haha wow those new trial mechs.

Some are fine, some are straight shit.