As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[YouTube]s to Share With The Class

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    "if only there was a company whose core skill was the resources to contextualize vast amounts of data instead of just using keyword lists"

they could've also been reactive instead of proactive in regards to mature content

don't automatically flag things with words in the description

just like, wait until some threshold of reports is met then have a content moderate go in and go "yes this is bad content"

But that requires staff, which costs money.

I figured they could afford it!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    What's it going to take for people to finally figure out that you can't automatize social interactions

It has never resulted in anything good

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Ok there is no excuse for that beyond putting a human being's name in a filter block, which is just staggeringly awful on every conceptual level

Her channel is mostly programming and her twirling light stuff and it's blocked but you can still find videos of people pretending to beat her up.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    the JonTron subreddit rebellion is still going well:

InFhfao.png

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Ok there is no excuse for that beyond putting a human being's name in a filter block, which is just staggeringly awful on every conceptual level

Her channel is mostly programming and her twirling light stuff and it's blocked but you can still find videos of people pretending to beat her up.
    God i wish this surprised me

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    What's it going to take for people to finally figure out that you can't automatize social interactions

Tech companies will never not believe that every world problem can be solved with the right bit of programming.

It's never worked in the past and probably won't in the future, but they won't stop believing that they just need to tweak the algorithms a bit to fix everything.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

I'm glad you post these, I just don't really want to click the awesome button on em. Cause well, usually what's being talked about in the video is distinctly not awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3h5kcNHVxA

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So I'm reading an article about the recent podcast with Richard Simmons' reclusiveness in recent years, and as part of the backstory of Simmons rise to fame as a happy, goofy fitness guru, it embedded a video of him on Letterman

except I had forgotten to turn Restricted Mode back off after testing it

tThXypn.png

this is seriously the dumbest thing

I saw it suggested that it's not based on keyword filtering but on user reports, and if true that is probably even dumber because that shit is obviously abused

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    "if only there was a company whose core skill was the resources to contextualize vast amounts of data instead of just using keyword lists"

they could've also been reactive instead of proactive in regards to mature content

just like, wait until some threshold of reports is met then have a content moderate go in and go "yes this is bad content"

Not even Google can afford the kind of staff needed for the amount of content moderation needed on YouTube.

Dedwrekka wrote: »

Not even Google can afford the kind of staff needed for the amount of content moderation needed on YouTube.

Nor could they create an AI to do it

To do everything perfectly and within a fast time frame? No, of course not

But it would be something, as opposed to this which is in fact worse than doing nothing

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

To do everything perfectly and within a fast time frame? No, of course not

But it would be something, as opposed to this which is in fact worse than doing nothing

300 hours of video are uploaded on Youtube every minute. Even if you ignored the fact that they have a backlog of some 10 years by this point, just the sheer volume of stuff uploaded to YouTube makes it impossible to hire enough staff for them to go through each video personally.

Not talking doing it perfectly.

Not talking doing it quickly.

Having people personally reviewing every video on YouTube as or after it's uploaded just is not possible while YouTube is still online.

No one suggested reviewing every video though. They're talking about reviewing the ones that have hit a certain threshold of user moderation flags.

I didn't say "Review every video personally" because that's not something anyone can do

But you can still create a larger team to sift through user reports and ban actual hate speech

I will believe this is not possible when i see a large tech company actually try it

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Youtube earned USD$9 billion in revenue in 2015.

They can afford to hire some folks.

You could also set up a system where users were flagged for hitting a certain threshold of false or bad faith reports (defined as reports that the reviewers found to be not warranted) and silently remove or diminish that person's ability to file reports, similar to shadowbanning on some social media platforms. If you openly removed their reporting ability they'd just make a new account, but if they didn't know they were shouting impotently into the void it would reduce the number of false reports the reviewers would have to deal with.

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    And JonTron continues to savor the many and varied flavors of his foot:
    “I said lots of stuff that could be misconstrued in all sorts of ways,” said Jafari, better known to his fans as JonTron. An alumnus of the let’s play group Game Grumps, the YouTuber has become better known for making comedy videos ever since he left the group in 2013.

In an effort to clarify statements like “if they immigrate they need to integrate, but also we don’t need immigrants from incompatible places,” and “I don’t think a pure society is possible, but in terms of a demographic majority, I don’t know that a nation can exist without one,” the YouTuber tried to lay out his views in a more prepared and ordered manner, away from the “pressure” of his almost two hour debate on Bonnell’s stream.

“I was trying to speak to the increasing tribalization of our culture,” said Jafari, and he believes the remarks brought up offhand late at night on a “random” Twitch stream viewed by tens of thousands of people didn’t accurately reflect this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFf7qwlnSc

Someone really needs to explain to him the first rule of finding yourself in a hole: STOP DIGGING.

I feel an enormous amount of shame over once defending Jontron on this very forum. He's a bad person. Fuck him.

End of line.

Jafari, to put it simply, cannot bring himself to admit that he's being a total dumbass who doesn't know what he's talking about.

And until he's willing to confront this, he's gonna continue shoving his foot further and further into his mouth like the idiot he is.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    And JonTron continues to savor the many and varied flavors of his foot:
    “I said lots of stuff that could be misconstrued in all sorts of ways,” said Jafari, better known to his fans as JonTron. An alumnus of the let’s play group Game Grumps, the YouTuber has become better known for making comedy videos ever since he left the group in 2013.

In an effort to clarify statements like “if they immigrate they need to integrate, but also we don’t need immigrants from incompatible places,” and “I don’t think a pure society is possible, but in terms of a demographic majority, I don’t know that a nation can exist without one,” the YouTuber tried to lay out his views in a more prepared and ordered manner, away from the “pressure” of his almost two hour debate on Bonnell’s stream.

“I was trying to speak to the increasing tribalization of our culture,” said Jafari, and he believes the remarks brought up offhand late at night on a “random” Twitch stream viewed by tens of thousands of people didn’t accurately reflect this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFf7qwlnSc

Someone really needs to explain to him the first rule of finding yourself in a hole: STOP DIGGING.

I feel an enormous amount of shame over once defending Jontron on this very forum. He's a bad person. Fuck him.

End of line.

Jafari, to put it simply, cannot bring himself to admit that he's being a total dumbass who doesn't know what he's talking about.

And until he's willing to confront this, he's gonna continue shoving his foot further and further into his mouth like the idiot he is.

He's going to ride this train of stupid into the ground, Slim Pickens style.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oooh, Mando made a fan song for Night in the Woods. :exclaim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1B80DsHwc8

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

I listened to "In The Plex" on audiobook a few months ago

It's an incredibly thorough look at Google's history since their founding

And man, even with the writer being pretty generous to them, his accounts of how they think and react to problems their decisions have generated paint a clear picture of Google as a whole being astonishingly out of touch and arrogant.

IKknkhU.gif
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

I listened to "In The Plex" on audiobook a few months ago

It's an incredibly thorough look at Google's history since their founding

And man, even with the writer being pretty generous to them, his accounts of how they think and react to problems their decisions have generated paint a clear picture of Google as a whole being astonishingly out of touch and arrogant.

A Silicon Valley giant, astonishingly out of touch and arrogant? I for one am SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell you!

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

This channel is the blandest material presenting in a very dry way, and I love every minute of it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I was going to post that, but then I saw it was already here, so going with backup plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OXwk-LoU7c&list=_

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Binging with Babish is fun

I'd seen a few Jon Bois videos linked on these very forums and enjoyed them, so I thought I should go and find more, and consume that content also.

His Pretty Good series is shaping up to be the best thing I have ever seen on the internet.

I just watched this and it is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

I must admit, I can see a LOT of myself in Justin-27.

I'd seen a few Jon Bois videos linked on these very forums and enjoyed them, so I thought I should go and find more, and consume that content also.

His Pretty Good series is shaping up to be the best thing I have ever seen on the internet.

this is my favourite:

https://youtu.be/M4AhABManTw

It really is the stupidest sporting event of all time

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Pretty Good eps get posted here rather quickly. And Bois is an incredible storyteller, which is why I've said that ESPN should hire him to do another set of 30 for 30 shorts, like the ones they did a few years back.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.