As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Hi car thread! Does anyone have experience using a dual action machine polisher for detailing work? I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a porter cable 7424, but am kind of at sea as far as which pads and compounds to buy. My plan is to wash, clay, do a light cut, polish, and then seal. I've kind of let my car get filthy - there are some swirls and clear coat scratches I'd love to get rid of if possible. It's a black car ('05 g35) and looks great when clean but that seldom lasts for more than five minutes or so.

Can anyone recommend product or share tips? There are a ton of videos out there, which is helpful, but many of them are veiled ads.

I can't speak to the polisher, but my brother when he was starting his detailing business used Chemical Guys brand compounds, and he has spoken pretty highly of them for consumer grade stuff. I use some of their stuff for plastic and rubber restoration and it has worked really well.

Don't get their new car smell car spray though, it smells terrible.

Cool, thanks. I've got the DA polisher showing up today, along with chemical guys pads (going with the white medium pad for the cut and the black finishing pad for polish). I've got some meguiars ultimate compound for the cut, but I still need to pick up some polish, so I'll check out the chem guys product.

Going to get to work on it this weekend - pretty excited. I'll try to take some before and after photos in case anyone is interested in seeing how well all this works out (for a total amateur that is).

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    We tend to need towing capacity more than payload capacity. Yeah, if you want to haul 4000 lbs of gravel you need a proper dually commercial truck. If your main use is a to pull a 10,000 lb camper to go on trips with, getting a luxury spec HD truck is really nice.

Gooseneck campers are pretty sweet, but in that case I woukd just buy a Winnebago-style all-in-one unit instead of a big ute and a camper. Obviously not an actual Winnie though, I don't shit gold.

There's a camper for sale down the street from us that's based on a old Dodge truck (probably from somewhere around 1970) and costs all of $1600. It's pretty beat up from the outside (and likely on the inside/under the hood), but that's also dirt cheap.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I just, I can't do a pickup truck

Instead of an SUV with the associated hike in running costs, how about an Odyssey? Pop the last row of seats out and it's practically a van back there.

The issue I have with the odyssey is that my dad's had a minivan for the first 20 years of my life, and I can never unassociate minivans = vehicle for parents.

As well, I do need more storage space than I already have (which isn't too hard considering coupe), but I don't need alllll the space.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I got my machine polisher today, and spent some time in the driveway and garage. Washed and dried, clayed with an instant detailing spray, did a spot cut on some small scratches and marks with that ultimate compound on a medium pad, and then a whole body polish with meguiar's mirror glaze on a light pad. Pretty happy with what I was able to accomplish, especially for the first time using the tool. I made a few obvious mistakes like using too much compound and pulling the tool while it was spinning (spatter city) but otherwise it went well. It also seems super safe as far as burning or swirling paint goes, as the clutch is fairly sensitive.

I wasn't too impressed with the ultimate cut, but I think I should have used a harsher pad with it. The mirror glaze worked really well though, and was easy to apply and buff in. I still need to wax it in the morning but am otherwise pretty stoked.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    @chrishallett83 Hey Chris, what are your thoughts on John Cadogan, legit or full of crap? Just found his channel doing some research.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    He's a wanker. Some truths, but they're buried in so much hyperbole and bullshit that it can be hard to sift out the good from the bad.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Noted, thank you!

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A simple and obvious example would be the video he made calling the new Mustang an unsafe deathtrap.

In 2015 it scored 5 out of 5 stars, making it one of the safest cars on the road. Then they changed the requirements for star ratings, and added a bunch of electronic gear that the Mustang does not have.

Under the new criteria it scored 2 out of 5 stars.

Cue Cadogan making the aforementioned video.

I note he hasn't made videos about any other cars which don't score too well under the new criteria - strange thing, that...

• Options
    stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    If you are over 80 you need a special license. One of my very expensive cars just got totaled by a 94 year old women not paying attention.

In other news I now have another storage space and found a nice 58 Corvette to replace the hit car.

• Options
    I just changed the high-beam bulbs on my 2016 Elantra GT, the passenger side bulb is super easy to change. You remove a little gasketed door, unplug the bulb, push in a little retainer clip, and remove the bulb.

The driver side is exactly the same, but there's a sensor just above the door that needs to be unplugged, and they also ran a bundle of wires juuuusst above the door, so you have to slide the door out underneath that, while working in about a 1/3rd as much space as the passenger side because the airbox is on the driver side.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Yeah I'm not going to be transferring my lease to a new car this year.

The civic hatchback was actually a really nice car to drive, and I don't actually mind the looks of it once you get to the sport touring version.
    But here's the thing, they told me that I'd be paying an ~$4600 penalty for ending the lease early, even though the only reason this would be happening is because they want to preemptively lock me into another 3 years' worth of lease payments, so I really don't think a penalty should be applied at all. I can understand charging a penalty if I'm just ending the lease early and not getting a new lease, but because the ending of the lease is predicated on signing up for another four year lease, the penalty I think shouldn't be applicable or relevant.

BUT, even then the monthly lease payment that he told me just didn't make sense at all. So I told him I'd like a copy of the quote and think about it, I came home, made the excel sheet, did the calculations, and the actual penalty for ending the lease early is in the ~$11,000 range.

Mildly infuriated at that b.s lie.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Welcome to leasing!

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not going to be transferring my lease to a new car this year.

The civic hatchback was actually a really nice car to drive, and I don't actually mind the looks of it once you get to the sport touring version.
    But here's the thing, they told me that I'd be paying an ~$4600 penalty for ending the lease early, even though the only reason this would be happening is because they want to preemptively lock me into another 3 years' worth of lease payments, so I really don't think a penalty should be applied at all. I can understand charging a penalty if I'm just ending the lease early and not getting a new lease, but because the ending of the lease is predicated on signing up for another four year lease, the penalty I think shouldn't be applicable or relevant.

BUT, even then the monthly lease payment that he told me just didn't make sense at all. So I told him I'd like a copy of the quote and think about it, I came home, made the excel sheet, did the calculations, and the actual penalty for ending the lease early is in the ~$11,000 range.

Mildly infuriated at that b.s lie.

If they want your car THAT bad, they will eat the "early-termination" fee. If they aren't willing to do that, then I'd just stick with what you've got.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Can your business buy the car? I mean, when you do eventually get a new one. I get some minor tax deductions for the running costs of a company vehicle if my company buys it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Maybe at some point in the future the company could get its own car.
    But being a one year old company in retail, we are not at that point yet.

I did understand that ending a lease early, no matter the reason, would mean they'd try to screw you, what annoys me the most is how explicitly he lied about how much the penalty actually was, as though I wouldn't check this shit out.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Sounds like you're with this until the lease ends, then you find a new dealer.

• Options
    Fuck I hate dealerships. And I've worked for two! I gotta say though, they weren't anywhere near as bad as my own experiences with the dealer we bought our car from. Maybe truck dealerships are just a LOT more honest and less price-gougey?

• Options
    Fuck I hate dealerships. And I've worked for two! I gotta say though, they weren't anywhere near as bad as my own experiences with the dealer we bought our car from. Maybe truck dealerships are just a LOT more honest and less price-gougey?

Their customers are probably generally more knowledgable about these things too.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

Their customers are probably generally more knowledgable about these things too.

You might think so. That's often not the case... Especially with fleet customers, most of the time the company scheduler is an admin who's never driven a truck in their life. Or for a lot of the smaller fleet customers we had, it was literally one guy who owned half a dozen trucks and also drove himself, so a truck would just turn up and the contractor driver would say something like "Oh, it's a bit sticky getting into gear hey bro", turns out he'd burned the clutch so badly all the friction material was sitting in the bottom of the bellhousing and the cast steel flywheel was blue, out of round, warped, and covered in deep radial cracks.

• Options
    I only meant only about the purchasing experience.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    I only meant only about the purchasing experience.

Yeah, you're not wrong there. But then White, International, Kenworth, Freightliner, all these companies that kludge together shitty trucks still manage to stay afloat and sell vehicles, generally because "the bigger and shinier it is, the better".

I'm not kidding. One of our bigger small fleets changed from Volvos to Macks because the drivers like bonneted trucks because they look "tougher". Same fucking drivetrains (this was after the buyout), just in a shittier, less comfortable box with worse steering and ride.

*sigh*

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The problem with leases is it means the dealer is negotiating with corporate (who holds/funds the lease), so it has to be a good enough deal for them to deal with that associated bs.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Leasing has a few useful applications, but they are pretty rare. My Cruze was dirt cheap ($120/mo) and still the most expensive car I've ever had when you calculate the cost per mile.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    I got my 2013 Fusion through a 3-year, 0% lease. It was a great payment and worked out super well for me in the end... although that was probably because I screwed up on the allowed KM per year. Basically, I changed jobs right after leasing and went from 25K KM/year being a nice, safe number (that was also reasonable) due to commute to a situation where I'm still just under 60K and it's a year out from the end of that lease. So, I over-paid in my monthly payments on my lease, because I could have had it much cheaper with a 15K KM/year lease instead, but it resulted in a super cheap buyout price and I've got a nice little loan with even lower payments for owning the car now.

But, I really wouldn't have considered the lease if it wasn't 0%. That was just magical timing.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Here's a 2500hp "street-legal" GT-R running the quarter mile in just under 7 seconds at nearly 200mph:

https://youtu.be/gOfM3-x3kGA

jgeis on
  • Options
    That's Texas USA street legal, not Victoria Australia street legal...

Some of the stuff you lot are allowed to get away with is insane!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Freedom!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Freedom!

Indeed! Freedom to get hit by a maniac in an old car with shitty brakes and suspension and five times the original power output...

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So you've been to a classic car show, I see.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The worst part about driving.

Is parking.

If I have to park in a space I have to back out of instead of pull forward through. There is a 25 percent chance I will have to back up and straighten my car out at least once.

Which at a busy parking lot like the grocery store pisses people off even if it's only an extra few seconds.

• Options
    That's Texas USA street legal, not Victoria Australia street legal...

Some of the stuff you lot are allowed to get away with is insane!

Yeah it wouldn't fly here in California for emissions reasons, but it would certainly be legal back home in Michigan (with a change of tires).

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    The worst part about driving.

Is parking.

If I have to park in a space I have to back out of instead of pull forward through. There is a 25 percent chance I will have to back up and straighten my car out at least once.

Which at a busy parking lot like the grocery store pisses people off even if it's only an extra few seconds.

Wait, you take the time to make sure your car is in the stall properly?

Please continue doing this. You're doing it right.

The rest of the world can go fuck itself.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I mean it is weird. I got a 100% score on my maneuverability part of the driving test.

But for some reason parking next to other cars is a huge pain. Especially with the pressure of jerks giving you the stink eye because they might have to wait a couple of seconds to leave the lot.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    You'll get better at that with experience anyway. Wait till you try backing out a Suburban...

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I mean it is weird. I got a 100% score on my maneuverability part of the driving test.

But for some reason parking next to other cars is a huge pain. Especially with the pressure of jerks giving you the stink eye because they might have to wait a couple of seconds to leave the lot.

It takes practice, and some cars are way better at letting you know where their corners are than others. My Crown Vic has about 2ft of hood and bumper that goes past where I can see in the front, and about the same in the back. I've certainly nudged cars a few times when parking. Now my Jeep Cherokee you know EXACTLY where the corners of that thing are, it is like a guided missile when it comes to pulling into a parking spot.

Also other drivers in parking lots can go fuck themselves if they are riding someones ass while they park or pull out. That's part of driving though, there is a certain amount of fuck off attitude you need to develop towards other drivers who are being assholes.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Personally I find it easier/quicker to reverse in and pull out forwards, cos there's less likely any chance of anything moving inside the parking space than out of it. Also the first thing I drove about in was an old ute with manual steering. I just had to get good at parking, else I couldn't go anywhere.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Getaway parking 4 lyfe!

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Fun fact; that's actually policy by at least the RCMP if not the city cops to back into stalls.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    what part of that car is street legal? even in TX the tires, the windows, the seat belt/harness, the lack of airbags (probably) are not street legal...

not to mention the noise it makes... yeah it's legal, until you start the motor? great.

This discussion has been closed.