As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: There Will Be No Overtime For This Thread.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Hawks could use a draft pick though from Beast wanting to play some more. Fine with me.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Hawks could use a draft pick though from Beast wanting to play some more. Fine with me.

They actually pretty much can't trade him because he'd take up $9 mil of their $15 in cap space and would have to convince raiders to take on the deal, when the hawks cant really afford to keep him if they don't

They likely would be forced to release him

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    y2jake215 wrote: »

They actually pretty much can't trade him because he'd take up $9 mil of their $15 in cap space and would have to convince raiders to take on the deal, when the hawks cant really afford to keep him if they don't

They likely would be forced to release him

Well that 5 mil owed would show up right quick if he were to try to force release. Hawks could easily get a pick out of Oakland if they really do want his name after what happened with Vegas.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    ESPN signed Rex Ryan for their NFL show.

Should bring the same level of talent he had for helming good football teams.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Luke Wilson is staying in Seattle, which is neat, but far more neat is the manner in which he announced it.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    lolllllll people can't even hate anymore GOAT GOAT GOAT

http://i.imgur.com/8ZYVXYv.jpg?1

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

Au contraire
    http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2017/03/20/james-comey-hate-patriots/
    James Comey: “I Hate the New England Patriots.”

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Geno Smith to stay in New York.

Forgets which team he played for and signs with the Giants in a panic.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

only bandwagoners buy jerseys in fuckin' February. So congratulations, you have the worst fans

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Au contraire
    http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2017/03/20/james-comey-hate-patriots/
    James Comey: “I Hate the New England Patriots.”

Lemme Guess. Congressional hearing for Spygate + Deflate Gate? Soon?

Yup, soon.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Just read a stat that makes me throw up in my mouth:

Every time Brady has a 12-4 season his win percentage goes down.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I can't wait to hear the John Madden level analysis without the hilarious, crippling alcoholism

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

I can't wait to hear the John Madden level analysis without the hilarious, crippling alcoholism

wut?

John Madden is not an alcoholic.

admanb on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

If only everyone got to play against the rest of the AFC East every season.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    admanb wrote: »

wut?

John Madden is not an alcoholic.
    He only seams drunk because of the brain damage.

I hope the browns make it to the playoffs with Osweiler and the Texans shit the bed with Romo. That would be hilarious to me.

zepherin on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »

Under Brady/Belichick, the Patriots have a higher winning percentage against the rest of the league than they do the AFC East. For example, this year the Patriots went 12-1 against non-AFC East teams (playoffs included), but just 5-1 against AFC East teams. Also, if you exclude the top team from each division over the last sixteen years, the AFC East is still third or fourth in total wins. While Buffalo, Miami and New York have all taken turns being bad over the last sixteen years, they've all had good seasons in there. Even this last season: if Buffalo had won all of the games that it had lost by one score or less, they'd be 13-3, good enough for a Wild Card playoff spot.

That's why Patriots fans were like "Finally, an end to this 12-4 bullshit" last season. Four straight seasons of going 12-4! And in three of them, they lost in the AFC Championship game. I'm glad that that nightmare is over with. That was really hurting Brady's career win percentage.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »

Under Brady/Belichick, the Patriots have a higher winning percentage against the rest of the league than they do the AFC East. For example, this year the Patriots went 12-1 against non-AFC East teams (playoffs included), but just 5-1 against AFC East teams. Also, if you exclude the top team from each division over the last sixteen years, the AFC East is still third or fourth in total wins. While Buffalo, Miami and New York have all taken turns being bad over the last sixteen years, they've all had good seasons in there. Even this last season: if Buffalo had won all of the games that it had lost by one score or less, they'd be 13-3, good enough for a Wild Card playoff spot.

That's why Patriots fans were like "Finally, an end to this 12-4 bullshit" last season. Four straight seasons of going 12-4! And in three of them, they lost in the AFC Championship game. I'm glad that that nightmare is over with. That was really hurting Brady's career win percentage.

2001-2016, the Patriots have a .622 winning percentage vs playoff teams in the regular season. That would be the 4th best record overall. It goes up to .641 post-Brady knee injury. The Patriots over the same stretch have a better record on the road than anyone else has overall. Its basically impossible to try to diminish their success in the Brady/Belichick era

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited March 2017
    As a Hawks fan we will take thanks for that number being lower :) Remember guys Pats fans have stats at the ready for anything. Probably even why his teeth might look a shade less white.

Also Trump took a shot at Kaep for the kneeling thing again. Ugh. Spoilered for insufferableness.
    Speaking at a rally Monday night in Louisville, Kentucky, Trump said he was reading an article about NFL owners' fears about signing Kaepernick and said, "They don't want to get a nasty tweet from Donald Trump. Do you believe that?"

Trump added that he wanted to share this with "the people of Kentucky because they like it when people actually stand for the American flag."

Jubal77 on
    I fucking hate all that shit. We'd all be better of if we stopped being one of the fee countries that play anthems before all sporting events.

Freedom is like a mint condition, sealed toy; once you take it out and use it, it loses its value.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Great news, the nfl is finally addressing the most important issue the league faces.

http://deadspin.com/nfl-developing-new-way-to-drain-all-joy-from-sport-for-1793517847

I expect ratings to double next season. Praise Goodell!

Pellaeon on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I fucking hate all that shit. We'd all be better of if we stopped being one of the fee countries that play anthems before all sporting events.

Freedom is like a mint condition, sealed toy; once you take it out and use it, it loses its value.

Strangely apt typo.

The new replay rules explained by Goodell. here.

Sounds pretty good actually. Moving decisions to NY rather than onsite under a hood.

The speed improvements sound good too.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    There is so much veiled bullshit in that letter.
    we're going to institute a play clock following the extra point when television does not take a break, and we're considering instituting a play clock after a touchdown

When there's no TV break, it's still a lot less time to get back to action. The TV breaks after a TD, then again after the extra point, then again after the kickoff, are what slow down the game action.
    We're also going to standardize the starting of the clock after a runner goes out-of-bounds, and standardize halftime lengths in all games, so we return to the action as quickly as possible.

...it took you 75+ years to do this?
    Together with our broadcast partners, we will be working to meaningfully reduce down time and the frequency of commercial breaks in our game. We will also be giving our broadcast partners increased flexibility to avoid untimely breaks in the action.

LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    We also know that you feel there are too many elements in the broadcast that aren't relevant to the play on the field. With our partners, we will be looking to instead focus on content that is most complementary and compelling to you–whether that is analysis, highlights or stories about our players.

I'm not sure what they are trying to get at, here. Also, I don't consider player stories as "relevant to the play on the field." Call me jaded, but part of the reason every player who makes significantly above the median has their own charity, is for the tax shelter it provides. Plus they get the free publicity from the league. I don't need (or want) to know that the starting left tackle overhauls bicycles and gives them to homeless kids.

Mugsley on
    Halftime is very close to 12 minutes exactly in almost every game I've been to and I usually time it out if I'm not watching RedZone and want to do something in that time. So that part seems like total BS.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited March 2017
    Id like to see concrete numbers actually. I do not think everything that they say is a lie from the get go so I trust them a bit to say that they want to shave off 30 seconds here and there in order to get game time down 15 minutes overall as a start. What it seems like to me.

I was more excited about the change to replay though. That can shave off minutes alone.

Jubal77 on
    Oh don't get me wrong. I have no issues with what they are trying to do with the replay (until there's a tablet issue for the refs....). It's the other stuff that seems more like lip service than anything. "We're going to trim the fat.....except for the fat from advertisers that pay us money!"

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    So they're going to a similar system for the NHL and CFL where there's a central base that conducts all reviews and just reports to the on-field refs?

I really, really like the system. It was a good change (definitely in the CFL).

On the one hand, simply eliminating the time the ref has to run to the hood and back would save time itself, especially if he's coming from the other side of the field. Just have tablet guy shadow him from the sidelines or whatever.

On the other hand, if New York has the final say on replays I don't know why the head ref needs to waste the time "consulting" with them. I can see the tablet being somewhat useful after they've made their final decision for visual reference, like "hey here's the final angle showing where his knee went down at the 15 so place the ball there," and also he can explain to whatever coach loses the challenge what happened.
    Beyond that I don't see any time benefit to the theater of the ref "consulting" on his single 10" screen while the guys in new York can have multiple dudes looking at multiple angles simultaneously. Just give him the call and let him roll with it.

Perhaps that's how it will go in practice, but as written it sounds like they're leaving an extra decision maker involved (on field ref) for tradition's sake rather than going with what would be the fastest.

Yeah if NY is going to make the decision, just have them make the decision. That would save time.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    There are stories around that New Orleans is interested in signing Manziel.

Also, that Kaep is practically black-balled.

And Sanchez to Chicago. Makes me wonder if Dallas will ever actually let Romo go.

Yeah poor Romo. Should have waited till after he was released to gather interest with that owner.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    There are stories around that New Orleans is interested in signing Manziel.

Also, that Kaep is practically black-balled.
    And Sanchez to Chicago. Makes me wonder if Dallas will ever actually let Romo go.

What's stupid is that its clearly because he took a knee during national anthems. Players have done much worse stuff and still get signed and playtime.

I mean, it can't be for his skill if players like Sanchez and Osweiler are being signed by teams.

Ray Rice would probably still be playing if the second video didn't exist.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's not just taking the knee, there's got to be some kind of locker room baggage with him. Dwayne Brown on the Texans kneeled early in the season and it wasn't really a big deal, but he seems to not be a problem in the locker room after doing it.

Plenty of players have kneeled since, or done other things. But he was the first and thus the most visible.

I don't remember ever hearing about Kaep having locker room issues except when the franchise started to fail. But then that was an ultimate result of the management in the end.

It seems pretty clear to me it is because he started the kneeling.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

As a Packers fan, this pleases me greatly.

Twice a year I get the chance to see a butt-fumble.

It seems pretty clear to me it is because he started the kneeling.

I have a picture sitting in my Google photos account of both "First Couples" during the inauguration, and one of those 4 individuals did not have their hand over their heart or was saluting (it's not who you would think, at first). I'm not going to go further than that in this context, but FFS this is ridiculously stupid.

This discussion has been closed.