As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i'm in love

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i'm in love

Agreed. I think that's just about my favorite PC i've seen to date. How can something look so clean and understated, yet still just OOZE opulence? I'll tell you how... (insert Dolce & Gabana whiser) Crystalized...

Only one question I care about though. Will it run Crysis?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And the order is reporting as being in packaging. Also, they're sold out again.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    the inscription on the backplate appears to say

CrystaliZed

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    how much is that setup, $1000 itself for all the hydro and case stuff?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    And everything else is now ordered and on the way. Eep.

• Options
    how do you even do liquid cooling like that, with static tubes, gosh that'd be a nightmare if you ever needed to replace components

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    how do you even do liquid cooling like that, with static tubes, gosh that'd be a nightmare if you ever needed to replace components

Custom builds like that aren't really intended to be upgraded.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    And then some dust gets on the inside and drives you absolutely nuts.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Here's the build thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=163990

I spent far too much time trying to figure out where he hid the SSD until I realized he used a M2 drive.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    The lack of motherboard IO plate is bothering me though.......

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    The lack of motherboard IO plate is bothering me though.......

I think he created a custom one out of the same clear acrylic the rest of the case is made of, you can see that the section around there is a separate piece.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    DAT CABLE MANAGEMENT THO

• Options
    how do you make custom acrylic like that

I've always wondered that

like I've gotten acrylic at like home depot and cut it with dremels and shit but it never looks anywhere near that clean

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    bowen wrote: »
    how do you make custom acrylic like that

I've always wondered that

like I've gotten acrylic at like home depot and cut it with dremels and shit but it never looks anywhere near that clean
    Laser cut, either from a vendor or at a maker shop.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    JayzTwoCents does that kind of acrylic work. He cuts it to length, then uses a torch to soften the acrylic so he can bend it. And, yeah, you basically have to cut and bend new tubing any time you have anything go wrong.

For example, he had an issue where an orange dye he was using was starting to slowly turn brown; so he had to make multiple runs of rigid tubing while he was investigating the root cause.

I think for the physical tube cutting, he uses some sort of blade vice a Dremel. As in, I don't think you can use anything that is reciprocating or rotating if you want to truly clean cut. So something like a plumber's tubing cutter (made for copper).

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If I was going to go so far as that kind of custom work, I'd have it embedded into a desk rather than have an external box.

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    Hey folks, started digging into pcpartpicker and my head exploded. And THEN a friend started talking about m2 drives. I have arooooound $2500 to spend on a new ground up build + monitor. Could go as high as 3k if the experience improvement is "worth" it, but wouldn't be ashamed if I got an awesome rig for 2k, if that makes sense. I've been putting off the build for about 3 years, because we have 4 kids and 15 pets, and every bonus check I've gotten goes to braces or vet bills or dance class or arglebarglebargle. But now I can't run directX 12 or play any of the new hotness and I'm sad.

My current main system is from a 6 year old build that I've managed to breath life into with ssd and vid card updates.

I'm capable of assembling everything myself, although this would be my first foray into the world of liquid cooling. On the upside, it seems they've made the simpler levels of liquid idiot proof, so that's nice.

That said, I wouldn't turn my nose up at shelling out a couple bucks for a reputable place that does builds to have someone who does this all day erry day do it, as they say.

Can I trouble you fine, knowledgeable people for some handholding?

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    Hey folks, started digging into pcpartpicker and my head exploded. And THEN a friend started talking about m2 drives. I have arooooound $2500 to spend on a new ground up build + monitor. Could go as high as 3k if the experience improvement is "worth" it, but wouldn't be ashamed if I got an awesome rig for 2k, if that makes sense. I've been putting off the build for about 3 years, because we have 4 kids and 15 pets, and every bonus check I've gotten goes to braces or vet bills or dance class or arglebarglebargle. But now I can't run directX 12 or play any of the new hotness and I'm sad.

My current main system is from a 6 year old build that I've managed to breath life into with ssd and vid card updates.

I'm capable of assembling everything myself, although this would be my first foray into the world of liquid cooling. On the upside, it seems they've made the simpler levels of liquid idiot proof, so that's nice.

That said, I wouldn't turn my nose up at shelling out a couple bucks for a reputable place that does builds to have someone who does this all day erry day do it, as they say.

Can I trouble you fine, knowledgeable people for some handholding?

Just to confirm, I assume those are American $, right? Because you should be able to get pretty beastly rig in at that price point.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    While hard tubing looks good, it's really more for astetics then anything else. It's very time consuming and easy to screw up.

• Options
    Just to confirm, I assume those are American $, right? Because you should be able to get pretty beastly rig in at that price point.

Yep, that's $US

Since I'm probably not going to be doing this again for another 4 or 5 years, I'm hoping to put together something I get get some real miles on.

• Options

Yep, that's $US

Since I'm probably not going to be doing this again for another 4 or 5 years, I'm hoping to put together something I get get some real miles on.

So this here is the computer I'm building right now (with a few differences, such as a larger SSD). Price is right around $2k.

• Options
    Also, the big thing with M.2 drives is that instead of interfacing through 6Gb/s SATA (which modern SSDs can saturate), they connect to the PCI-E bus, which gives them a blistering 22Gb/s throughput.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Also, the big thing with M.2 drives is that instead of interfacing through 6Gb/s SATA (which modern SSDs can saturate), they connect to the PCI-E bus, which gives them a blistering 22Gb/s throughput.

just a correction. They *can* interface via PCI-e. Or they *can* interface with SATA. M.2 is literally just a connector type and some drives/boards use SATA and some use PCI-e lanes. When you're buying you need to make sure on both the board and drive you buy the same ones. a sata based M.2 drive will plug into a PCI-e m.2 slot just fine.... it'll just never work.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I just got and installed my 1080 Ti, which I'm super excited about. However, two issues cropped up:

1. My 1440 display isn't showing any resolution options above 1080p (it was running at 1440p on my 980 Ti). Wondering if this is related to the fact that I'm now using a DVI to Displayport adapter? But it seems unlikely.
    2. None of the devices plugged into my USB card are being recognized now.

Any thoughts?

Edit: #2 was the result of me jostling the USB card's power loose during card installation. Still dealing with #1 though.

The adapter has to not just output a DVI signal, but a dual link DVI signal to get the higher resolutions.

Now that I'm double checking the amazon listing that seems like it might be my issue. I can't seem to find one that supports 1440p, any suggestions?

Edit: NVIDIA also packed in an adapter with the 1080 Ti that seems to have the same issue :?

You probably figured this out already, but just go buy a DisplayPort cable. The adapter the 1080 Ti ships with is Single-Link, it can only do 1080p. For 1440p+ you either need a dual-link DVI to DP, or you can just use DP, which is really the recommended route if your monitor supports it (and I can't imagine a 1440p monitor without DisplayPort).

My monitor only has DVI and VGA.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-IPS-ZERO-G-Monitor-2560x1440-110509/dp/B00DIGC6GO

I bought it in 2013, when nothing I had required DisplayPort or HDMI.

I just bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0157RW0J4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and am desperately hoping it works despite mixed reviews, because otherwise I have to shell out $400 for a new monitor and I'd strongly prefer not to do that.

If anyone else has had to solve this problem with adapters I'd really appreciate a link to what they used.

So the cable I bought doesn't work. It doesn't do anything; no signal is detected. So, that sucks.

I guess I'm in the market for a new monitor, but all of the options for 1440p+ are like $300-$500 :-/

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So. I have THIS at home and unused. I used to have two of those same monitors, and I used this for a while to connect to one of them. You can have it if you want to give it a shot. I can't guarantee it'll solve your problems, but I know it still works. I honestly don't remember why I stopped using it; I think I ended up buying different cables that worked for the monitor.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    The other thing about M.2 PCIE drives is that the performance difference compared to SATA in real-world applications is pretty minimal. I don't suggest wasting the money there.
    So I just got and installed my 1080 Ti, which I'm super excited about. However, two issues cropped up:

1. My 1440 display isn't showing any resolution options above 1080p (it was running at 1440p on my 980 Ti). Wondering if this is related to the fact that I'm now using a DVI to Displayport adapter? But it seems unlikely.

Any thoughts?

Edit: #2 was the result of me jostling the USB card's power loose during card installation. Still dealing with #1 though.

The adapter has to not just output a DVI signal, but a dual link DVI signal to get the higher resolutions.

Now that I'm double checking the amazon listing that seems like it might be my issue. I can't seem to find one that supports 1440p, any suggestions?

Edit: NVIDIA also packed in an adapter with the 1080 Ti that seems to have the same issue :?

You probably figured this out already, but just go buy a DisplayPort cable. The adapter the 1080 Ti ships with is Single-Link, it can only do 1080p. For 1440p+ you either need a dual-link DVI to DP, or you can just use DP, which is really the recommended route if your monitor supports it (and I can't imagine a 1440p monitor without DisplayPort).

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-IPS-ZERO-G-Monitor-2560x1440-110509/dp/B00DIGC6GO

I just bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0157RW0J4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and am desperately hoping it works despite mixed reviews, because otherwise I have to shell out $400 for a new monitor and I'd strongly prefer not to do that.

If anyone else has had to solve this problem with adapters I'd really appreciate a link to what they used.

So the cable I bought doesn't work. It doesn't do anything; no signal is detected. So, that sucks.

I guess I'm in the market for a new monitor, but all of the options for 1440p+ are like $300-$500 :-/

My S2716DG monitor is fantastic, 144Hz with GSync with a very good TN panel. Often goes on sale for $500. With a 1080TI I can't recommend anything less. You're wasting your money on a 60Hz 1440p screen with that GPU.

• Options
    Tossed this together after doing a bit of reading and looking around.

Any thoughts?

Also, what is the conventional wisdom regarding 4k vs ultrawide?

• Options
    You don't need 1000 watt power supply for that system. 750 would be fine. And it seems a shame to only have 500gb of SSD space in a system that powerful. Do you really need a 4Tb HDD?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    GnomeTank - any advice on using the IC Diamond?

@AngelHedgie definitely don't try and credit card method the stuff, it's too sludgy for that (at least my last two tubes have been). I use the press-and-spread technique. Put a thin dollop the size of a US dime in the center of the CPU's heat spreader. You do not need a ton of this stuff, just enough that after the cooler is seated and exerts pressure that you have a thin, mostly uniform, layer between the cooler and the lid. Use the pressure of your CPU cooler going on to spread it out. Try and get the cooler to go down as evemly as possible, so the material spreads evenly. Then as you tighten down the fasteners do them evenly as well and cross tighten. If any excess comes out wipe it up with a paper towel and light isopropyl alcohol and let dry before turning your system on.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Display port is the main jam now, correct? There's a decent KVM switch that I'm thinking would be nice to have for hooking up the work laptop.
    Wish it would do dual monitors, but what can you do?
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817270047

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    HDMI and DisplayPort are the jam right now. If you want to be forward thinking USB-C is likely to become the all-in-wonder cable over the next few years. Since you can do things like run the display, transfer data and charge the laptop all from a single USB-C.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

@AngelHedgie definitely don't try and credit card method the stuff, it's too sludgy for that (at least my last two tubes have been). I use the press-and-spread technique. Put a thin dollop the size of a US dime in the center of the CPU's heat spreader. You do not need a ton of this stuff, just enough that after the cooler is seated and exerts pressure that you have a thin, mostly uniform, layer between the cooler and the lid. Use the pressure of your CPU cooler going on to spread it out. Try and get the cooler to go down as evemly as possible, so the material spreads evenly. Then as you tighten down the fasteners do them evenly as well and cross tighten. If any excess comes out wipe it up with a paper towel and light isopropyl alcohol and let dry before turning your system on.

And do not lift the cooler up to see how it spread unless you're doing it knowing you're going to clean everything up and do it again.

As far as 'thin dollop the size of a US dime' goes, it's probably the equivalent of 'pea-sized' that lots of places talk about. Ultimately, a little goes a long way and too much is a hassle to end up dealing with. (If it squirts out the sides, definitely clean it up proper before running the system.)

There are plenty of videos available showing different methods for application and while some are 'better', the effort to get it exactly right isn't quite worth it unless you intend to build a new system every other day just to get better at it. The small dollop, even pressure method is largely regarded as the most efficient method. And once you start running the system, there is a period where the paste almost self-spreads.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    HDMI and DisplayPort are the jam right now. If you want to be forward thinking USB-C is likely to become the all-in-wonder cable over the next few years. Since you can do things like run the display, transfer data and charge the laptop all from a single USB-C.

it actually wouldn't surprise me at all if we see the next generation of nVidia/AMD cards (think the 11xx and the RX 5xx series) cards come with at least a few sku's that have 1 or more USB-C ports for video. We're already starting to see monitors with USB-C support. I could see it being very useful in low profile cards.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The other thing about M.2 PCIE drives is that the performance difference compared to SATA in real-world applications is pretty minimal. I don't suggest wasting the money there.

Any thoughts?

My S2716DG monitor is fantastic, 144Hz with GSync with a very good TN panel. Often goes on sale for $500. With a 1080TI I can't recommend anything less. You're wasting your money on a 60Hz 1440p screen with that GPU.

Thanks for the recommendation, ended up ordering one of these.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

And do not lift the cooler up to see how it spread unless you're doing it knowing you're going to clean everything up and do it again.

As far as 'thin dollop the size of a US dime' goes, it's probably the equivalent of 'pea-sized' that lots of places talk about. Ultimately, a little goes a long way and too much is a hassle to end up dealing with. (If it squirts out the sides, definitely clean it up proper before running the system.)

There are plenty of videos available showing different methods for application and while some are 'better', the effort to get it exactly right isn't quite worth it unless you intend to build a new system every other day just to get better at it. The small dollop, even pressure method is largely regarded as the most efficient method. And once you start running the system, there is a period where the paste almost self-spreads.

Look, the only reason why we use thermal paste is that a metal on metal contact has a lot of air gaps, no matter how smooth and shiny the surfaces appears.

WLP-02.png

As we all know, AIR IS A TERRIBLE HEAT CONDUCTOR! So all those itty bitty airgaps between the two surfaces does nothing but insulate the CPU and prevent heat transfer. This is why we use thermal paste. As we all know, liquids readily fill in a given volume. Paste also has an added bonus of (depending on what it's made of) being a pretty good heat conductor. But the conduction between metal to paste to metal is not as good as metal to metal (unless there's some kind of super paste that I'm not aware of). So the goal of thermal paste isn't to be a entire layer in between the two surfaces, instead it's to fill in those air gaps that acts like insulation.

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    So I've had people tell me memtest will almost always find bad RAM in the first pass. However I basically had to build a whole bench test system to finally find out the problem was with the RAM.
    We did 4 passes on those bastard sticks IIRC.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, at least you got to provide us with a possibly useful data point.

Glad you worked it out!

• Options
    My RAM usage is sitting at 95% while playing Mass Effect Andromeda if I have Chrome open too.

I'm at 8GB, and super want to move to 16, but I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on old-model DDR3 RAM.

However, if I move to DDR4 then I need a new motherboard, since I'm on a Z97, and that means a new CPU too, since I'm on a 4770K.

Decisions.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tossed this together after doing a bit of reading and looking around.

Any thoughts?

Also, what is the conventional wisdom regarding 4k vs ultrawide?

If you go 4K you'll have to spend a ton of money on both a GPU capable of that level of performance and a 4K monitor.

If you go Ultrawide you'll have to buy a new monitor and will have issues with a few games but you will never want to go back to a standard display again. Also, 2560x1080 or 3440x1440 are a lower performance hit so your framerates will be higher.

Unless you have money to burn (and I mean burn) I'd wait another GPU generation before going 4k. A 1080ti like the one in that list is certainly the GPU you're looking for if you want to go 4k right now though.

SmokeStacks on
This discussion has been closed.