As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

U mad?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I'm seeing a massive surge in Facebook argumenters using the "studies show one third of domestic violence victims are male" line. Anyone know where this statistic comes from? It drives me nuts because it's only ever used to distract and avoid issues, rather than genuinely raising it as a problem to be solved (presumably by "shutting all those feminists up who want superiority not equality" etc)

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Even with melatonin I only sleep roughly six hours at once due to my whole REM disorder brain spider bullshit. Sometimes, if I don't have to work, I can get up for half an hour, then zonk out again for another three to four hours. Usually though I'm just up and in a sort of half-dreaming state until my body finishes burning the melatonin.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I'm seeing a massive surge in Facebook argumenters using the "studies show one third of domestic violence victims are male" line. Anyone know where this statistic comes from? It drives me nuts because it's only ever used to distract and avoid issues, rather than genuinely raising it as a problem to be solved (presumably by "shutting all those feminists up who want superiority not equality" etc)

Just quote the CDC back at them and then ask for their source. The last time I checked it was much less often then 1 in 3 but that was a year or two ago.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I can't wait until Marcus sleeps through the night. I can't wait until my own sleep issues keep me up instead of his.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Speaking of sleeping.

I apparently got up, showered, started getting dressed, put on my underwear, socks, and then shoes and undershirt and went to the front door and went "wait a minute".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm good at sleeping, it just doesn't really make me feel less tired.

this sleep app I've started using seems kind of dodgy, as it doesn't think I went into REM sleep at all last night but I distinctly remember dreaming.

Maybe that wasn't a dream.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Just quote the CDC back at them and then ask for their source. The last time I checked it was much less often then 1 in 3 but that was a year or two ago.

That actually seems to be a pretty reasonable statistic, although it's a deeply disingenuous argument. That's because the most common form of domestic violence by far is "situational couple violence," which is when an argument escalates to the point where people start slapping each other and throwing around small household items. There is not a great deal of gender disparity in "who started it," the violence is almost always mutual, it rarely results in real injury, and it is usually not part of a pattern of abuse. It's this kind of common, low-intensity, isolated incident that can result in an overall figure of 1/3 male victims.

However, that's a far cry from what we think about when we usually talk about domestic abuse. In terms of one partner using violence to control and dominate the other and in terms of domestic violence resulting in severe injury, men are overwhelmingly more likely to be the perpetrator than the victim. More worryingly, women are almost exclusively killed by men, while men are almost never killed by women.

If you intend to push back on Facebook, you might read this article to get a clearer picture of the situation.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I went to bed at like 8 or 9 pm last night. Woke up every hour after midnight on the hour. Finally got up just before 8am.

Now I've got a hell of a headache and back ache from tossing around.

Also it is super foggy outside so I don't know if I want to go grab a coffee somewhere.

Also I just read the local news and a 17 year old kid was shot not a whole block (probably less than a mile) away from me in his own driveway this morning. That makes 29 shootings in toledo in 2017 so far.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    I was stood up by a date

Her flatmate went through some really bad shit, tho, her grandma's been declared blind

I'm not mad at the standing up, I'm mad at the shitty situation her flatmate's been going through with her grandma

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Are they including children in those studies? As in, maybe 50% of domestic violence victims are children, and slightly more than half of those are male?

Maybe just reply with a 'citation needed'

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    And hell, even if a third of victims are male that still means that two-thirds are female. I mean what's their argument? It happens to some men so we shouldn't try and stop it happening to women?

Ashaman42 on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Also, this is a reason to increase protection, and surveillance efforts for everybody. Abuse is bad. Teach everyone to not be abusers. Work on not normalizing abusive behavior with positive media depictions. The exact stats here are so wildly beside the point of "this is bad shit, full stop."

• Options
    https://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/NISVS_Report2010-a.pdf

It's more like 25% than 33%, it's not insignificant, but it's not worth starting a fight about. But it's also disingenuous to pretend like it doesn't exist too. They're real problems that are ignored. And actual one of the tenants of MRA (I know a lot of people hate them because of reddit) and feminism alike because toxic masculinity implies that men are the only ones who can be aggressors, which is patently false.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

It's more like 25% than 33%, it's not insignificant, but it's not worth starting a fight about. But it's also disingenuous to pretend like it doesn't exist too. They're real problems that are ignored. And actual one of the tenants of MRA (I know a lot of people hate them because of reddit) and feminism alike because toxic masculinity implies that men are the only ones who can be aggressors, which is patently false.

Uhhhhh, no.

MRA's are every bit of "toxic masculinity" run amok. I have never, ever, seen an argument from a self-proclaimed MRA that wasn't sexist as shit. Their entire base is a result of them feeling like feminism is garbage, social justice is garbage, "everything is too politically correct", "everybody is too sensitive", "there are only two genders", and that men are the real victims of any progressive movement. They are trash.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I am getting very upset that my new job offer hasn't come in yet. I need to leave this company- they are laying people off left and right.
    And my manager loves sending out generic emails on how x,y,z should be done, without actually making sure it gets done. Meanwhile, I'm doing half of what the old manager did. And they aren't hiring, so we are overworked and falling behind deadlines.
    New job said hopefully end of February for the offer mid-feb. Two weeks ago, I ask for an update and am told that I'll get my offer soon.
    If it doesn't arrive this week, I have to start actively looking again. I hate looking for jobs, when the one I have a tentative offer for is so good.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options

Actually you have that backwards. People hate reddit because of shit like MRA.

The statistics aren't worth starting a fight over regardless of what they are. This is just another variant of the "all lives matter" rhetoric in which regressive assholes try to sabotage or undermine a legitimate movement by ignoring the point and trying to create a false dichotomy.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    That's fair.

• Options
    reddit is saved by /r/aww though, 15/12 gotta have them good puppers

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    I am mad. There is a serial fish microwaver who struck yet again this afternoon.

If this was a just world they'd have been bludgeoned to death with the microwave used to commit this office heresy by now.

• Options
    I said this the other day

but like

who is eating fish and goes "you know what, this fish tastes and smells amazing right now, and you know what would make it better? If I save some and warm it up tomorrow at work in the microwave" ?

• Options
    I said this the other day

but like

who is eating fish and goes "you know what, this fish tastes and smells amazing right now, and you know what would make it better? If I save some and warm it up tomorrow at work in the microwave" ?

Probably not too many people for that last part, because in most cases leftovers aren't better than the original dish, they're just economical. But that first part, most people because a lot of fish is delicious.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The worst is.. what is deficient in them that they don't instantly recognize how bad that smells as soon as they hit start?

It barely smells like fish. It's fish-like, for sure, as if you were down on the wharf and a whole bunch of rotten fish jumped you for your lunch money.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I like fish a lot but damn that stinks up the kitchen

• Options
    The worst is.. what is deficient in them that they don't instantly recognize how bad that smells as soon as they hit start?

It barely smells like fish. It's fish-like, for sure, as if you were down on the wharf and a whole bunch of rotten fish jumped you for your lunch money.

Eh, reheated fish doesn't smell great, but it's nowhere near that bad. And I don't assume they don't smell it but it's what they brought for lunch so that's what they're gonna make.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    it's settled, omnipotentbagel is the person that heats up fish in the microwave

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    It is essentially a war crime. The scent isn't contained to the kitchen, my desk is on the opposite side of the building and it smells like used Tuna gym socks. The smell goes through doors up stairs, you can smell traces of it on the first floor soon as you walk in.

I would feel self conscious if i made some pungent lunch, I don't even bring in tuna salad sandwiches(mostly because they get soggy but that's another story).

Cooking fish at work is the equivalent of shouting Fuck All Y'all I don't Give a shit bout anyah. To all your coworkers. It's inconsiderate to the extreme.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    I barely have a sense of smell, so it wouldn't bother me. And I also like fish. And plenty of other super smelly (to other people) foods, Kimche for instance.

But I don't bring them to work! Cause I know they smell to other people! And I try to fall somewhere among the level of 'tolerable' coworker.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I hate being the person smelling reheated fish, but in the past if I'm trying to be healthy at work (or not spend a lot of money on lunches), I have had to be the reheater........... Don't tell anybody.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I usually eat leftover fish cold

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I hate being the person smelling reheated fish, but in the past if I'm trying to be healthy at work (or not spend a lot of money on lunches), I have had to be the reheater........... Don't tell anybody.
    Wyborn wrote: »

I'm trying to figure out which is worse.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Five years after murdering City of Heroes for purely spiteful reasons, NCSoft is bringing back beloved Paragon City mascot, The Statesman, to punch dudes in their shitty MOBA attempt. Fuck those ghoulish sons of bitches, not just for the graverobbing, but for doing it for such a rinky-dink piss bucket of a dead-end project.

I am beyond furious. I am seriously contemplating emptying my checking account for a one-way ticket to South Korea, going to the NCSoft head office, finding the CEO's car in the parking lot, and headbutting it until it explodes like in the Street Fighter 2 bonus stage.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options

Yeah, like, sometimes I make fish for dinner and like hell am I gonna waste the rest of it the next day just because it doesn't smell the greatest.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Yeah, like, sometimes I make fish for dinner and like hell am I gonna waste the rest of it the next day just because it doesn't smell the greatest.

why not eat it for dinner tomorrow instead of lunch

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    One time at college, in the admissions building or whatever it was, I smelled something burning and went around the whole floor trying to find the source of the smell.

Turns out somebody left the coffee pot on with nothing in it.

Then, when we found that somebody, they said they were using the coffee pot to boil water.

• Options
    One time I accidentally put one of those microwaveable ramen bowls into the microwave with no water

that smelled pretty bad

• Options
    I'm mad because I can't find my vehicle's title.

I have a vague idea, after tearing my apartment apart, of where it might be in my basement's "filing cabinet" (those giant plastic storage thingies with old paperwork). I really don't want to find the one that has it, and I really don't want to look through it.

I'm trying to figure out if I show up at the dealer and get a car if they'll go through the hassle of getting a replacement one for me.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

I'm trying to figure out which is worse.

Cold catfish is straight delicious

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    One time I accidentally put one of those microwaveable ramen bowls into the microwave with no water

that smelled pretty bad

A student did that with easy mac.

The fire department arrived and we all had to stand around outside for a hour.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

that smelled pretty bad

A student did that with easy mac.

The fire department arrived and we all had to stand around outside for a hour.

Yeah, I think I set the fire alarm off but that was the worst of it?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm mad because I can't find my vehicle's title.

I have a vague idea, after tearing my apartment apart, of where it might be in my basement's "filing cabinet" (those giant plastic storage thingies with old paperwork). I really don't want to find the one that has it, and I really don't want to look through it.

I'm trying to figure out if I show up at the dealer and get a car if they'll go through the hassle of getting a replacement one for me.

Yes, hello, it's Your Bank, calling to tell you we have safe deposit boxes for literally this exact purpose.

[edit] This comes off as mean, when I intended less mean. Doesn't help you now, but please do consider getting one later for your other important documents that you need once a decade.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
This discussion has been closed.