As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Why is there nobody asking me to show off my skills :(

You're not a conjuror, by trade.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I'm ready to become a crooked cross if I can get a success on the action. I only have a 30% chance to succeed and I've failed twice with confident smiles!

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    Why is there nobody asking me to show off my skills :(

You're not a conjuror, by trade.

I conjure dead bodies from live ones, thank you very much.

• MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    ... no one ever wants glassmen for anything...

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I got Acquaintance: the Wry Functionary up to 5 and spent the 15 Fate to unlock his conversational story.

It's great! It uses up no actions and is just a big rotating menu of things you can talk to him about and sometimes the results are randomized and unlock the option to venture onto other subjects. It's word-tastic. There's an optional mystery story that you can pursue that branches off from it although it's possible that pursuing it might dynamite your relationship with the Functionary. (I don't know if it does but it seems like it could.) Still, mysteries!

rRwz9.gif
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Operation dinner party day was a success and I now have my shiny tier 2 job, cheers for the help.

Is there any benefit to notability 3 or 4 or should I just forget about it until I can stomach the push to 5 for the tier 3 jobs?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    While I waited on one of those 'living story' bits in order to get a map to pursue my ambition to Polythreme, I clicked around a few times in the Forgotten Quarter and found an eyeless skull. So I went to a cave... I think... It's all a bit fuzzy... What was I saying again?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    On the way to becoming a POSI. I need some sort of Handsome Townhouse now? But I already have a rad christmas pad! Ah well.

edit: oh that was easier than I thought.

edit2: Finally a POSI!

SniperGuy on
    The Cave of the Nadir was....well...interesting

The Nadir can definitely be confusing. It helps to know what cards specifically you are looking for.

The best is one with a picture of khanate armor on it. Let's you trade in second chances for valuable items like Airag and searing enigmas.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I randomly got an Eyeless Skull from doing Seeking Curios in the Forgotten Quarter, but I am in no way ready to do the Cave of the Nadir

Should I save it and just deal with these shitty cards for a while (basically, never draw cards again until I do it), or sell the skull I got for 62.50E and just hope to find another one later when I'm ready to do the expedition?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    When you need one you can ask someone else for one. I can send you mine I suppose.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I randomly got an Eyeless Skull from doing Seeking Curios in the Forgotten Quarter, but I am in no way ready to do the Cave of the Nadir

Should I save it and just deal with these shitty cards for a while (basically, never draw cards again until I do it), or sell the skull I got for 62.50E and just hope to find another one later when I'm ready to do the expedition?

There's another step after the bit requiring a skull, so if you wanted to just do the expedition part to burn off the skull, you could.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    yeah just blowing through the expedition asap might be your best call tbh. i would say all you really need is watchful at like 150+ after gear and maybe 85 supplies and you should be good to go

oh I guess maybe have some strangling willow absinthe and connected great game

rRwz9.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I had way less Watchful than that when I did Cave of the Nadir

Yeah, I think I did it at like 120-130 after gear, tops.

Yeah I'm at like 110, I've been focusing on Shadowy and Persuasive to do Heists and Wilmot's End for a bit. I'll start on Watchful once I can grind money more easily to pay for things.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Is there a good place to farm up foxfire candles? I've been doing unfinished business in Veilgarden and chatting up my admirer among the clergy, but that's so random and tends to blow my scandal through the roof.

Fleeb wrote: »
    Is there a good place to farm up foxfire candles? I've been doing unfinished business in Veilgarden and chatting up my admirer among the clergy, but that's so random and tends to blow my scandal through the roof.

you can trade in Connected: the Church for a reliably large amount of candles at the Shuttered Palace. If you're not using that connection or have a good way to get it back (such as the Trade in Souls) it's a great way to get a lot of candles quickly.

rRwz9.gif
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks!

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I have read of the Invisible Cities! I have spoken to the tiger and understood his clue! Sure, I may have gone insane first, and then to prison, but that just freed my mind to understand. I have the Eggshell Painted Black and advanced in the Ambition that is a mystery! In short dear colleagues, if you wonder where I am
    5PaKHXp.png

Neaden on
    gods above personal recommendations suck

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    crooked cross gives me a nice title, Advocate!

Talking to a tomb-colonist in the Grand Sanatorium as part of my Nemesis ambition:
    You walk the endless marble corridors of the Grand Sanatorium. The inmates lie still for the most part, though some hum, weep or scream. Somewhere far off, an operatic warble collapses into gurgles.

Your footsteps echo on the cold stone floor. This place is enormous. You are cold and hungry by the time you find the Seventh Immobiles wing. There must be a hundred inmates here, bandages wrapped tightly around arms and legs. Most are still, as you'd expect, but a few thrash fruitlessly against their confinement.

33856 is one of the still ones. She's firmly tied to her steel bed with bandages. She talks constantly, in a hoarse whisper that meanders through Latin, Arabic, Hebrew and other languages you don't recognise. Whoever she was, there's not much left of her now. You settle down and listen.

It takes days, but you start to make sense of what she says. She's from the Elder Continent, a place of strange vitality far across the Unterzee. She has died more than a hundred times in the service of the Presbyter. She was a... it's hard to say exactly. Spy? Diplomat? Assassin? Something like that. She used to work with Feducci.

The First City descended like seven thousand years ago. The Second was in like 1000BC. The third was in Central America. Where are the Presbyters learning their Latin and Hebrew? From the Mongols in the Fourth City?

I always wonder about the other, non-Fallen denizens of the Neath. What do they get up to when there's not a city around the Bazaar - or is there a city around the Bazaar always? Were Khaganians partying in the streets of Fallen Karakorum thirty years ago and London just went splat on them, or what? Where does the term Presbyter come from? The Fourth City would have had to be the very first people to even know about the ancient Greeks.

rRwz9.gif
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Talking to a tomb-colonist in the Grand Sanatorium as part of my Nemesis ambition:
    You walk the endless marble corridors of the Grand Sanatorium. The inmates lie still for the most part, though some hum, weep or scream. Somewhere far off, an operatic warble collapses into gurgles.

Your footsteps echo on the cold stone floor. This place is enormous. You are cold and hungry by the time you find the Seventh Immobiles wing. There must be a hundred inmates here, bandages wrapped tightly around arms and legs. Most are still, as you'd expect, but a few thrash fruitlessly against their confinement.

33856 is one of the still ones. She's firmly tied to her steel bed with bandages. She talks constantly, in a hoarse whisper that meanders through Latin, Arabic, Hebrew and other languages you don't recognise. Whoever she was, there's not much left of her now. You settle down and listen.

It takes days, but you start to make sense of what she says. She's from the Elder Continent, a place of strange vitality far across the Unterzee. She has died more than a hundred times in the service of the Presbyter. She was a... it's hard to say exactly. Spy? Diplomat? Assassin? Something like that. She used to work with Feducci.

The First City descended like seven thousand years ago. The Second was in like 1000BC. The third was in Central America. Where are the Presbyters learning their Latin and Hebrew? From the Mongols in the Fourth City?

I always wonder about the other, non-Fallen denizens of the Neath. What do they get up to when there's not a city around the Bazaar - or is there a city around the Bazaar always? Were Khaganians partying in the streets of Fallen Karakorum thirty years ago and London just went splat on them, or what? Where does the term Presbyter come from? The Fourth City would have had to be the very first people to even know about the ancient Greeks.

It is strongly implied, if not outright stated, that each fallen city is dropped on top of the old ones. The occupants that hadn't met some other fate would likely be smooshed. You also seem to forget that it's possible to travel between the neath and the surface. Maybe ancient greece was influenced by the elder continent.

Etiowsa wrote: »

It is strongly implied, if not outright stated, that each fallen city is dropped on top of the old ones. The occupants that hadn't met some other fate would likely be smooshed. You also seem to forget that it's possible to travel between the neath and the surface. Maybe ancient greece was influenced by the elder continent.

Fate of cities spoiler
    It is basically implied that cities are literally dropped right on top of the old one. However, these cities are generally fairly empty. From what I understand, the Bazaar has a policy of flooding the streets with lacre which basically melts the population of the city into ... Something. Starship fuel? But they always do a purge before a new city comes down. They don't get everyone, obviously, but a majority doesn't make it.

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    MoosehatIV wrote: »

Fate of cities spoiler
    It is basically implied that cities are literally dropped right on top of the old one. However, these cities are generally fairly empty. From what I understand, the Bazaar has a policy of flooding the streets with lacre which basically melts the population of the city into ... Something. Starship fuel? But they always do a purge before a new city comes down. They don't get everyone, obviously, but a majority doesn't make it.
    Yeah, I know bout the lacre, I was just being coy for some reason. Apparently it keeps the stone pigs, which are how the bazaar got around in space, asleep. If they were awake, they would wreck up the place or something.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Isn't travel between the surface and the Neath only possible thanks to the Cumenal Canal? Older cities may not have had the capability to create such a thing, and as such were cut off from the surface entirely.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    People have been in the Neath since long before the First City arrived. Who was the first person to come down from the surface? What makes you so sure it isn't the other around. [\spoiler]

Neaden on

Oh yeah, I think the game actually says this a couple of times (I even seem to recall it being mentioned in Sunless Sea). But there are indications in the game that London is slowly emptying, with whole districts abandoned and falling into disrepair (I think the Revolutionary Firebrand has some stuff to say on this subject). I wonder if London is alone in this and the previous cities were bustling places right up until the moment it squashed them, or if they had long since been emptied out.

And yeah, the Cumean Canal was cut only recently. Is it the only way to communicate with the Surface, or are there others? Does the Correspondence work on the Surface? If it does, I can imagine that maybe some mystics or sages throughout history have had some kind of contact with the cities.

rRwz9.gif

Oh yeah, I think the game actually says this a couple of times (I even seem to recall it being mentioned in Sunless Sea). But there are indications in the game that London is slowly emptying, with whole districts abandoned and falling into disrepair (I think the Revolutionary Firebrand has some stuff to say on this subject). I wonder if London is alone in this and the previous cities were bustling places right up until the moment it squashed them, or if they had long since been emptied out.

And yeah, the Cumean Canal was cut only recently. Is it the only way to communicate with the Surface, or are there others? Does the Correspondence work on the Surface? If it does, I can imagine that maybe some mystics or sages throughout history have had some kind of contact with the cities.

The Travertine Spiral, a giant set of stairs.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I think they mention the Travertine Spiral in some of the destinies. Probably other places but I can't remember where. The Correspondence should work on the surface, lots of stars up there.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Blimey, you need to ride this Polythreme carousel around a fair few times don't you? At least I've got the system sussed so I succeed every circuit now.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Hmmm

Should I pursue a Zub or the Pleasure Yacht?

It looks like the only differences are +2 Respectable vs +1 Bizarre, then like an option that lets a Zub skip a luck event at Zee and a card that lets the Yacht owner make a bunch of money?

The Yacht if you can stomach the awful grinding coupled with a terrible luck check.
    The extra BDR is huge when going for higher noteritry and there are actually I think 3 checks that use it at sea? Something like that.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Zubmarine is better for actual traveling, overall

Both it and the pleasure yacht have three checks and one unique card, but the Zub has responses to two negative cards and one neutral card and its unique card is +Journey/-Troubled Waters; while the Yacht has checks on one negative card and two neutral cards, and its unique card is +Journey and you get a small amount of honey and a sapphire. Not to mention one of the yacht checks doesn't advance your journey or change your troubled waters at all, you just gain some scandal for some items.

It may not seem like a huge difference, but it's much easier to get from place to place with the zub

The zub does take a huge amount of grinding to get though

Because lol 20 whirring contraptions

I might have just paid fate to skip that part

Maybe

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The real advantage of a Zub is that due to an oversight you don't lose it when you travel NORTH, unlike every other ship

I ate an engineer
    I want to make a joke involving "zub zub", but none of them are coming together. So like... Just pretend I did. And that it was funny.

This discussion has been closed.