As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Negative Ghost Ryder, the planet is full. Tag your Spoilers.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    danx wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not hearing the audio through a teammates mic?

A lot of people have their mics on, possibly without knowing it

I've made a habit of muting everyone in the lobby

Thought that was what it might be but it persisted after muting everyone. It was so hard to concentrate and we failed our friggin bronze mission. I haven't been back MP since. Does this game have open mic? Thought it was PTT only.

It's a bug. I got it a few times now. I tried muting everyone in the match I mentioned above and it didn't help. I just unplugged my mic for now, it's not really needed on bronze anyways. Hopefully they'll patch this before I can start playing silver.

As I was bottomed:

"Some MP thoughts:

1) Audio is a major issue. Myself and folks I'm playing with have experiences cut outs and broken push to talk. I had to quit one match because some guy had the TV cranked right near him and you couldn't even hear the game effects over it. So be careful talking if you have your mic plugged in.

2) I'm sure it's just RNG but I'm gotten every Rare and Ultra-Rare character unlock but not a single piece of armor.

3) Speaking of classes, until I get more weapons, I'm going to have remove random for enemy type when leveling certain ones up. My Human Kineticist is useless against the Remnant. However my Salarian Operator loves them. Some classes will take time and a good group to shine. The Angara Avenger is a great support class but when everyone is splitting up, it's not so great. I can't wait to get a high damage shotgun to put on her after a teleport strike.

4) The N7 Crusader is not a shotgun but a sawed off sniper rifle. I was sniping people halfway across the map.

5) This has been harped on a bunch but I can't understand why the UI is such crap compared to ME3. It's hard to navigate between characters, equip them, and see the result of equipping them with mods or upgrading skills. ME3 was so easy, all the data was at your fingertips.

6) Overall I think the Outlaw enemy type is the easiest. Their dogs don't cloak and most of their units are pretty cut and dry so it gets less frantic. The other 2 seem pretty equal and really depend on the classes playing. Biotics do much better against the Kett and Engineers do better against the Remnant.

So far I'm having a blast though. I love the increased mobility, it's fun as hell to jump around and move to different cover positions, and the AI seems a little bit smarter than ME3. Of course I'm extremely disappointed they don't have the abomination like enemies here with the giant explosions ha."

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I've probably played through more of the game than most people have yet, and I think it DEFINITELY gets stronger as you go on. The open world aspects have been muuuuch improved over DA:I, sidequests are more involved and have more stakes (certainly no witcher 3, but nothing is), and the combat is legit fun. It goes for that interstellar explorer vibe even harder than ME1 did, which I love.

I like most of the crew, and they've got a LOT of interactions (and it doesn't play greedy with them the way DA:I did). They're characterized much more like normal people, much more like ME1 than 2 and 3. Like in 1 Liara is a random archaeologist and Garrus is just an ex-spacecop, whereas in 2 Liara is THE SHADOW BROKER and Garrus is ARCHANGEL, THE MASKED VIGILANTE.

ME:A goes for the same thing, your crew aren't a hand-picked gang of the galaxy's greatest badasses, they're just kind of the people who were around when someone was needed. Peebee is kind of solitary and irresponsible, but she's not a bomb-throwing anarchist like Sera was. Liam and Cora are both serious about the job in different ways, but neither of them are really sold as special badasses, there's nothing special about them compared to the dozens of other soldiers you see running around.

Even the Ryder kids don't have particularly shining resumes, Scott was in the navy(?) and Sara was a peacekeeper guarding some archaeologists at a Prothean site. She wasn't even like, a supervisor, she was just a guard who thought it was cool (maybe that changes a little depending on your background, but that's what my Sara did). Ryder is plainly not meant to be The Best of the Best the way Shepard was, and I'm down with that.

this is false my ryder was the greatest shitposter in the galaxy, a mistress of memes a conoisseur of cretinism an imperatrix of inanity

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    sultana of stupidity

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    sultana of stupidity

Now that's a philosophical question: How dumb can a raisin get?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I've probably played through more of the game than most people have yet, and I think it DEFINITELY gets stronger as you go on. The open world aspects have been muuuuch improved over DA:I, sidequests are more involved and have more stakes (certainly no witcher 3, but nothing is), and the combat is legit fun. It goes for that interstellar explorer vibe even harder than ME1 did, which I love.

I like most of the crew, and they've got a LOT of interactions (and it doesn't play greedy with them the way DA:I did). They're characterized much more like normal people, much more like ME1 than 2 and 3. Like in 1 Liara is a random archaeologist and Garrus is just an ex-spacecop, whereas in 2 Liara is THE SHADOW BROKER and Garrus is ARCHANGEL, THE MASKED VIGILANTE.

ME:A goes for the same thing, your crew aren't a hand-picked gang of the galaxy's greatest badasses, they're just kind of the people who were around when someone was needed. Peebee is kind of solitary and irresponsible, but she's not a bomb-throwing anarchist like Sera was. Liam and Cora are both serious about the job in different ways, but neither of them are really sold as special badasses, there's nothing special about them compared to the dozens of other soldiers you see running around.

Even the Ryder kids don't have particularly shining resumes, Scott was in the navy(?) and Sara was a peacekeeper guarding some archaeologists at a Prothean site. She wasn't even like, a supervisor, she was just a guard who thought it was cool (maybe that changes a little depending on your background, but that's what my Sara did). Ryder is plainly not meant to be The Best of the Best the way Shepard was, and I'm down with that.

this is false my ryder was the greatest shitposter in the galaxy, a mistress of memes a conoisseur of cretinism an imperatrix of inanity

no that's femhawke

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I have a problem

I want to re-do my face

but I found a Reegar upon arriving at the Nexus

I want to restart

but I still want my Reegar

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    How is the Reegar in Andromeda?

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    How is the Reegar in Andromeda?

No idea! I've only had the one tutorial combat mission so far. I'm hoping it's as stupidly overpowered on a Vanguard in Andromeda as it was in 3.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yeah the idea of the Reegar is an anti shield amd barrier weapon, but it turned out to be super good against anything. Definitely wondering if that's repeated or if they balanced it around that original purpose.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Eeeeergh the game won't connect to their servers and it is an unplayable slideshow. It worked just fine fifteen minutes ago. GOD I hate EA sometimes.

• Options
    Eeeeergh the game won't connect to their servers and it is an unplayable slideshow. It worked just fine fifteen minutes ago. GOD I hate EA sometimes.

i tried a couple of multi games and got the most incredible rubberbanding shitshow

obvious kett hacking

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Okay. So I am gathering that us consolites don't have the equipment available in the Item Store yet, yes? Trying to work out if it's me or not, since I can see it in the app.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    No one has access to that equipment, as far as I know. It isn't available on PC either.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    You start with Reegar blueprints, so it's not that far away from having the research/resources to craft a replacement. Also, that chest on the Nexus is save-scummable until you get a weapon you're satisfied with, if you want.

So I've put some more time in this, and yeah, the beginning is really not doing the game any favors, but now that I'm a fair bit in, things are picking up. I just picked up a semi-auto explosive sniper rifle in the field, the Nomad is awesome at many things including A) hurtling down the mountainside lighting the afterburners B) climbing up slopes the Mako might wince at, even unupgraded, using the boost and angling your ascent while boost recharges C) spinning around on ice. Also a fair amount of squaddie conversation now—I've just been driving around this planet for the past two or three hours and my squadmates have struck up eight or nine exchanges.

Also, post-Eos spoiler concerning another planet:
    If terraforming this place removes all the ice and snow, we're just going to have to learn to live on the other planets, because this is my Nomad racing course now.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    just finished the tutorial/first world part, outside of how silly the tutorial ends, I just have three things to write:

-this combat is terrible with the auto cover and teammates being unable to let me know the fucking space varren are there, and also just getting in the way of me trying to dash away. Died so many times at that one point (you know the point) because they're just doing nothing. I'm just hoping it gets better, as well as the map not sucking.
    -Cora walks......weird. And I find her use of "In theory" being some developers being a deliberate shot across the bow and being hella catty about that callback to Miranda because they're so jelly.
    -all the money being used for this initiative could have seriously been well used to help the reaper war.

• Options
    Also, concussive shot seems actually good now? Truly a brave new world.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Also, concussive shot seems actually good now? Truly a brave new world.

after some fiddling with skill points because I kept dying so much, I just dumped it into concussive shot and it bails me out quite a bit. Nu adrenaline rush (which is more like marksman) isn't on fleek, as the milky way kids say.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    No one has access to that equipment, as far as I know. It isn't available on PC either.

Awesome, that works I guess. Got the points for it, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, the Nomad is incredible. I'm really glad they didn't add fall damage to it, although it does look hilariously silly when there's a clear path down a mountain and you just NOPE off the edge.

Specific example
    When you first arrive on the ice planet and collect your first set of quests at the initial base you get to, when it's time to leave there's a clearly marked path down the mountain but you can just barrel down the nearly vertical cliff face directly in front.

Although, come to think of it, they actually start the Nomad facing towards the cliff, so I'm pretty sure the developers knew what was up.

Looks amazing, too.

EDIT: Here's an RC version of the Nomad.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I've barely touched single player, but I've been looking my krogeneer in multi. Tech explosions for everyone on a krogan frame.

Btw, if you target an enemy properly, you can kill them with the frisbee turret. I get far too much joy from killing the various dog enemies with it. Fetch!

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    After running out of ammo far too often, I have crafted a Black Widow with a heat sink (roughly 15 RPM so not too bad!) and a Carnifex that shoots some kind of plasma ball. Yesssssss.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Regarding terraforming of the ice planet
    You just make it less "freeze you to death"-y, it's still a giant ball of ice though.

But the colonists you settle there explain they're not there for large-scale colonization, but rather they're an ice-hauling outpost. So settling it means the Nexus and a dry planet like Eos get a much better source of water

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hmmm.... activating monoliths on Eos
    So... the decoding puzzle they want you to do on the console makes no sense. I've scanned both glyphs, and then failed the obtuse puzzle twice now. Fought the remnant machines twice, but now it will no longer allow me to use the console. My objective is to "use the console" but I get no use prompt when I approach it now.

Did my game glitch out, and I'm fucked now?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Also, that chest on the Nexus is save-scummable until you get a weapon you're satisfied with, if you want.

Hey, that's good to know. Got a Falcon the first time, meh. I'll fiddle around until I get a Revenant next time.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Ugh. So, turns out the problems were related? If I start the game in offline mode, it doesn't even try to connect, and the single player runs fine. Just the single player, though. However, if I have the temerity to start it online, the game fails to connect, and fails to connect so hard that it breaks the whole game.

Good job, EA. Couldn't just use Steam like everyone else, you had to make your own shitty knockoff and fuck everything up forever.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    hahaha perfect start to ME:A
    Ok so we're all on board and supplies are loaded up here we go to Eos it's up to us to save the day!

*Big cut scene of the Tempest departing*

Oh, wait guys, I have some side quests to finish on the Nexus first so if you could just, you know...

*cut scene of the Tempest doing a 180 and flying back to the Nexus*

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Is there a default key for Origin for taking screenshots?

I've been trying to use nVidia's screenshot tool but having to press Alt+F1 means it's like juuust a second too late for the screenshot I want.

Although this looks like an amazing selfie.
    usi0lmo0bly6.png

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So... the decoding puzzle they want you to do on the console makes no sense. I've scanned both glyphs, and then failed the obtuse puzzle twice now. Fought the remnant machines twice, but now it will no longer allow me to use the console. My objective is to "use the console" but I get no use prompt when I approach it now.

Does exiting the game or reloading the save fix it? I didn't have the console deactivate but had the quest marker go weird so I just came back to it later and it worked. The puzzle is just Sudoku, so for that early one just pick a lane with 3 of the 4 symbols filled and put in the one not used, then repeat.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Maybe yeah, if you're not getting a prompt, though I've run into that issue when trying to talk to people, sometimes running away a bit then running back in makes the button reappear.

Also: the puzzle is basically sudoku but with glyphs. You use R2/L2 to cycle through glyphs on the boxes that don't already have one, and you have to use a glyph that already isn't being used by blocks that are on the same horizontal row or vertical column as the box you're in.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Kett are without a doubt my most feared enemy type. Mostly because I favor Remnant weapons, and those dogs take an absurd amount of punishment on Silver from my remnant pistol.

I miss big-boom biotic explosions. The current one barely tickles enemies beyond bronze.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I think I get what they're trying to do with the animations in the galaxy map. One of the persistent complaints throughout the Mass Effect series is that there's no sense of actually being in a spacecraft and exploring. The animations look like an attempt to address it.

Unfortunately, they're long and kind of jerky. The length being the major issue when there's half a dozen things to check out before I do the thing I intended to do. The idea is interesting, the execution just isn't quite cutting it for me. Good try though. Maybe they'll get it right for Mass Effect Andromeda: Andromeda Harder.

Orca on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    I think I get what they're trying to do with the animations in the galaxy map. One of the persistent complaints throughout the Mass Effect series is that there's no sense of actually being in a spacecraft and exploring. The animations look like an attempt to address it.

Unfortunately, they're long and kind of jerky. The length being the major issue when there's half a dozen things to check out before I do the thing I intended to do. The idea is interesting, the execution just isn't quite cutting it for me. Good try though. Maybe they'll get it right for Mass Effect Andromeda: Andromeda Harder.

I agree with this. The animations definitely do help provide a feeling of size to the area you're looking at, in a way that ME2 and ME3 never did.

It's the same story as games with Skyrim. Skyrim's world is bigger than Morrowind, but Morrowind didn't have fast travel, only ingame things like taxi services and magical teleports, so the world in Morrowind felt larger than Skyrim. You can make an argument that adding tedious time to travelling doesn't contribute enough to be worth the hit in gameplay enjoyment, but it DOES have an effect on enlarging the perceived size of the world.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    To whoever was complaining about biotic combo sounds: the new sound effect is still pretty awesome. It's just more realistically attenuated, so you have to be pretty close to hear it properly.

Another reason to play melee biotics, that is.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    After running out of ammo far too often, I have crafted a Black Widow with a heat sink (roughly 15 RPM so not too bad!) and a Carnifex that shoots some kind of plasma ball. Yesssssss.

Oh, yes, I know the feeling. Just finished up some stuff on the ice world and Miss Ryder is now sporting a sexy BWIII w/ vintage heat sink, a calibrated receiver for 1.33m worth of penetration and with Infiltrator I can see shit through walls with a scope.

She is now a goddess of long range death that knows where you're hiding. I can't wait to play peekaboo with some kett with this loadout.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So I just unlocked an uncommon called the Cyclone. Put it on my Turian soldier.

It's uncommon so of course it'll soon be obselete...but for now its giving me the Dakka I need.

Dunno, it seems to kill stuff real well for me with a mag and stability mod. If you're feeling adventurous, feed it some incendiary rounds and take it with a class that has Overload modded for more chained hits. Then watch everything explode into an electrical fire.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    It is so very satisfying to pull a kett towards you then dash then against the nearest rock.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Is there a default key for Origin for taking screenshots?

I've been trying to use nVidia's screenshot tool but having to press Alt+F1 means it's like juuust a second too late for the screenshot I want.

Although this looks like an amazing selfie.
    usi0lmo0bly6.png

You can customise the GeForce experience key bindings I believe.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Something to remember with the sudoku puzzles is that they're sometimes not only horizontal and vertical, but portions of the grid will be sectioned, and there can't be any repeats in a section.

Which makes the puzzle a lot easier.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    This games save system is annoying as shit.

Havarl spoilers:
    There's no autosave before you encounter a miniboss after clearing two rooms of Remnant. And you can't save despite not being in combat before the miniboss.

Plus no quick save on PC (unless you change objectives - which doesn't always work and is not quick).

The combination of UI, the save system and not being able to manually use squad powers to setup combos is starting to put me of this game. The time spent in the menus flicking between objectives is way too much and it's clunky as fuck. Like we have to go up and down menus and each menu is a separate screen. It's like a really shit version of Norton Commander knocked up by an intern after over hearing someone reminiscing. Plus they've had collapsible menus since forever.

They can't even be arsed to put stuff by planet or easily show you the stuff you have to do on planet X while your there. You get a quest on planet X to collect shit on planet X and they put it under Intergalactic fucking Relations .

I'd use the map sometimes to switch objectives but you have to manually zoom in and sometimes clicking an objective won't activate it or bring up a way point. Oh and of course the map is super zoomed out every time which makes objectives look close together that are actually quite far apart. Mousing over a mission way point doesn't always bring up the tooltip description so you have to wiggle the mouse around in the hexagon until it pops up and maybe you can click it to set it as current. But maybe not. And the map might disappear when you change levels even if there's a level right above or below you. But maybe not.

Light post intro spoilers
    The the game will randomly forget you are in X profile when you reload so you lose your bonuses and abilities until you re-select it from your favourites. Which you might not notice if your power loadout hasn't changed until you jump/dodge and realise your not a vanguard or an adept anymore.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    A lot of your custom Ryders are making me feel better about this game. I'm still going to wait a little bit to pick it up but I won't necessarily wait for a bargain bin price.

If the combat is basically ME3, I'll enjoy it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
This discussion has been closed.