As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I've been waiting for the next compiled set to come out on comixology before I buy anymore. Although to be honest both the app and the website have been awful lately. As in taking 100 years to load and inexplicably crashing.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I've been waiting for the next compiled set to come out on comixology before I buy anymore. Although to be honest both the app and the website have been awful lately. As in taking 100 years to load and inexplicably crashing.

It does this on Android as well? Here I thought it was just the Amazon version of the app, plus my Fire which has a terrible processor in it.

Sadly I have to say that once Amazon took over the site/app it really has not gotten any better. It is terrible trying to sort them or search for any comic in the app.

That said, I try to just wait for the Humble Bundle to pop up Transformers since they seem to be doing it regularly now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited February 2017
    Yeah Android it is borderline unbearable to try and search or navigate. Once the comic loads (and it may never download wifi or not) it usually is fine, but not always.

I really like the suggested reading order feature and I don't want to rebuy everything, but it is actually difficult to read the damn things. Prior to the Amazon acquisition I was always told to just reinstall the app by support. Since I haven't migrated I don't know exactly what that process looks like, but based on what you're saying @Betsuni the grass isn't any greener.

I eventually get the physical hardcovers but I don't want to sit and wait I'd like to keep up. Just the tech seems to be holding things back

WingedWeasel on
    On one hand I jave not had to reinstall it a lot and it does read fine when I'm using it. Just sucks when I'm trying to figure out which TF comics I am missing to keep track of the darned things since I can't just search for Transformers. The one plus is that all the comics I picked up from Amazon populate the Comixology app once I linked the two. I just wish it went in reverse and I would probably dump the Comixology app altogether.

I only buy comics digitally these days since I have a limited amout of space and I like to fill that with other things. Sad really since I am the type who loves thumbing through comics to read or display.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Question about the humble bundle's IDW Transformers book bundle from a few months back.

Is it possible to reduce the file sizes of these pdf files?

A single issue is at least 170mb and a trade can be like 1.60gb.

This really sucks since I'd like to put a trade on my iphone but apparently don't have enough room for one of the later trades.

It's weird though because after check the folder I downloaded them all to, I've noticed some trades are just 280mb.

Maybe I should just log back into the Humblebundle website and see if there are any lower file sizes.

Also I hope if Humblebundle does another IDW Transformers bundle they don't include all of the old issues and trades again, because I really don't want to double tip

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    Are there CBR/cbz readers on iPhone? Think they are smaller right?

I've double dipped on keeping up on them because I can't remember what I have. Plus I figure that some of the money is going to a good cause to make me feel better.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Ooh I just discovered I can add epub version on itunes and sync it on my iphone. These file sizes are way smaller.

I think I'm going to redownload them all the epub versions and put them on my ipad as well.

BTW what is CBZ?

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Ooh I just discovered I can add epub version on itunes and sync it on my iphone. These file sizes are way smaller.

I think I'm going to redownload them all the epub versions and put them on my ipad as well.

BTW what is CBZ?

I don't know the technical term, but I do know it is a fancy name for zipped images.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Mike Costa, the guy who previously wrote for the ongoing and is leaving now, has some choice remarks:
    During his first year writing The Transformers, Mike says he got really burnt out, stating that writing for Transformers was "tough and not fun". He goes on to state: "The characters are so difficult to understand." He compares a human coming back after serving only 2 years in a war and their entire psyche is destroyed, their life changed. But these characters are robots that are millions of years old fighting a war that's a million years old. He goes on to state: "They don’t get hungry, they don’t get tired, they don’t have women, they don’t have relationships that they value, because they don’t have females that they can love, maybe brotherly love but how, they don’t have parents?”

- “All the basic things that motivate a person in any kind of adventure story that motivate them, these characters do not have them. You have to manufacture them. Why would a robot that’s millions of years old have a personality like a human? That’s insane.”

- “Transformers are toys. They are toys. That’s why they’re giant robots that turn in to cars. They’re toys. There’s no reason a robot would turn in to a car, they’re toys. I guess you could come up with reasons for it – a lot of writers have – it’s just so strange.”

- “Cars and trucks in a comic book aren’t expressive – there’s no character to a car.”

- “My job as a writer is to understand why characters are doing certain things – beyond why they are doing things in a certain moment – to who they are as people, but that’s where questions start getting really confusing, because these ‘things’ aren’t people.”

- “Transformers fans read Transformers comics, and only Transformers comics. They are isolated from the rest of the comic book world.”

- “Most Transformers fans don’t read comics.”

- In the comic book community, Transformers are not looked upon favorably. They are looked upon as being silly and “not-serious” comics. GI Joe is taken seriously. “GI Joe still has respectability, while Transformers does not.”

- Mike Costa blames the fall of popularity with Transformers comics not on himself or anyone with IDW Publishing, but with Dreamwave Comics, and the implosion that company had that effected the creators, the retailers, and of course, the fans. He goes on to state: “Some of those stories weren’t all that great.”

- “I don’t think these books will be number 1 again. They target their market, and their market is shrinking, and there’s a lot of people in that market that are unpleasant.”

- Mike Costa goes on to state that (a lot of) Transformers comic fans are very arrogant and hostile, painting a picture that they will continue to buy something simply to continue to hate it. He goes on to add that this happens with most properties, but Transformers fans are more vocal. He does add that it's this same attitude and desire to be heard that kept the franchise alive in the 90's all the way to the 2007 movie.

- He also states that from what he can see, there's very little agreement between comic fans on what they dislike about Transformers comics. A group of them may all dislike the comic, but none of them agree exactly on what they dislike about it.

- “The most harsh fans suffer from tunnel vision and lack perspective." At first this statement was applied only to Transformers comics, but he continues on and ends up referencing "in their world", or their life, so to speak.

- Mike briefly touches upon the cry from fans on message boards regarding "Why don't they listen to the fans!?". “There’s probably about a total of 100 active posters across ALL the Transformers message forums on the Internet.”

- Mike continues on... “Why aren’t we listening to the fans? It means we’re not listening to you and the other 20 people that post on message boards.”

Re-reading this thread.

Haha, eat some fucking crow, Mike Costa.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited March 2017
    Yeah that reads like Costa has more trouble with handling a larger continuity, while trying to hide behind "they're just toys!" and "it's the fans' fault!".

The fact that he eventually moved on to writing Marvel continuity for a time is confusing, because that has it's own vast continuity.

But this thing happened back in 2011 so I don't know if it's worth talking about anymore.

Edit: Unless he's said something more recent?

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Yeah that reads like Costa has more trouble with handling a larger continuity, while trying to hide behind "they're just toys!" and "it's the fans' fault!".

The fact that he eventually moved on to writing Marvel continuity for a time is confusing, because that has it's own vast continuity.

But this thing happened back in 2011 so I don't know if it's worth talking about anymore.

Edit: Unless he's said something more recent?

Nah, I was just rereading the thread and saw that and thought it was super funny in the context of what happened over the next six years.

It is definitely funny, but who really could have predicted that More than Meets the Eye would be so good?

That it would have characters so human that you'd almost forget they're robots?

Fuck, just thinking about this series makes me want continue reading volume 8 right now!

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    More than Meets the Eye might be among my top comic book series of all time. So damn good.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    Well I just fucked up. Tried to order the recent volumes of MTMTE and Transformers at Book Depository, but because I never got the prompt to enter my 10% code I'm going to have to cancel the order.

I should have used to code earlier in the week because it expires in less than 3 hours and I doubt they're going to be able to cancel it in time, nor do I think they'll give refund me the amount that was supposed to be discounted.

In other news, I finally read got around to reading vol 8 and 9 of MTMTE. God I love the Scavengers. And Tailgate and Cyclonus. But fuck Getaway!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Well I just fucked up. Tried to order the recent volumes of MTMTE and Transformers at Book Depository, but because I never got the prompt to enter my 10% code I'm going to have to cancel the order.

I should have used to code earlier in the week because it expires in less than 3 hours and I doubt they're going to be able to cancel it in time, nor do I think they'll give refund me the amount that was supposed to be discounted.
    do you need to wait for the cancel? can you not reorder with the code and just let the original get rescinded?
    In other news, I finally read got around to reading vol 8 and 9 of MTMTE. God I love the Scavengers. And Tailgate and Cyclonus. But fuck Getaway!

it is a testament to the comic that i think getaway is such a goose. i can't even bring myself to buy the toys of getaway (i have a similar reaction with overlord)

Meanwhile I'm looking at buying (fat) Tankor toys just because he's best buds with my favorite character.

edited May 2017
    Meanwhile I'm looking at buying (fat) Tankor toys just because he's best buds with my favorite character.

yeah i've been pining for a good ironfist for years and i keep looking for ways to complete my lost light crew in a reasonable manner. more often than not the comics have gotten me interested in characters that i was indifferent to. for example spotlight sixshot made me track down a g1 version years ago

WingedWeasel on

do you need to wait for the cancel? can you not reorder with the code and just let the original get rescinded?

it is a testament to the comic that i think getaway is such a goose. i can't even bring myself to buy the toys of getaway (i have a similar reaction with overlord)
    That's a good idea. I just did this so hopefully they can just cancel the original order and refund me the money I spent.

Also yeah Getaway is a total goose. It made me so mad what he did to Tailgate.

P2n5r3l.jpg

That's a good idea. I just did this so hopefully they can just cancel the original order and refund me the money I spent.

Also yeah Getaway is a total goose. It made me so mad what he did to Tailgate.

hope it works out!

and yeah getaway is a lot of things and i don't think any of them can be described as good. i haven't read anything in a while, the last thing was
    the return to necroworld

i'm waiting for some collections to get released because buying individual issues was killing me

I'm hoping that Humble Bundle gets them again so I can catch pick them up and do a splurge reading. Although I forgot where I left off and now am in a pickle trying to remember where to start again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Hold on a tick. It appears that MTMTE and Transformers were relaunched under Lost Light and Optimus Prime.

I really hate when books are relaunched. It makes it harder trying to figure out where to pick up without having to look it up online.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Hold on a tick. It appears that MTMTE and Transformers were relaunched under Lost Light and Optimus Prime.

I really hate when books are relaunched. It makes it harder trying to figure out where to pick up without having to look it up online.

Windblade got relaunched under "Till All Are One" awhile ago too.

God damn it

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

Me too. I'm afraid Hasbro is going to see a drop in subs and make decisions based on that, when all that really happened was that MTMTE subbers who would have happily remained subbed got cancelled by comixology et. al.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Can anyone tell me why the Dinobots all keep changing their names?
    As a brit I understood the Slag>Slug change, but how about the others?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Dayspring wrote: »

Who else changed their names?

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I DLed Earthwars on my phone, and Sludge is called Slog, and Swoop is called Strafe.
    Snarl isn't in it yet. He's mentioned in a cutscene but can't remember what they called him.
    Its written by Furman and there are a few jokes about the Dinobots always changing their names but I dunno if its like a thing or not

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta

Who else changed their names?

Sludge is now slog in the toys/games, not sure about the comics. I'm sure it had to do with copyright related stuff

I DLed Earthwars on my phone, and Sludge is called Slog, and Swoop is called Strafe.
    Snarl isn't in it yet. He's mentioned in a cutscene but can't remember what they called him.
    Its written by Furman and there are a few jokes about the Dinobots always changing their names but I dunno if its like a thing or not

Wasn't the Swoop -> Strafe because of the Age of Extinction movie?

oosik_betsuni.png
    have they been reformatted at all in the comics? after some of the older -tion series and related spin offs have they even made an appearance?

edited June 2017
    Till All are One is canceled as of issue 12. An annual is coming later this year to finish off the series.

Figures it's the one with my favorite characters.

Undead Scottsman on
    Till All are One is canceled as of issue 12. An annual is coming later this year to finish off the series.

Figures it's the one with my favorite characters.

Man that sucks... Just read this about it.

http://www.mscottwriter.com/2017/06/01/transformers-till-all-are-one-is-cancelled/

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited June 2017
    I should probably add Till All are One to my wishlist. I'm so far behind on most the the IDW series. I can't remember if I have combiner wars.

EDIT: Turns out I do have Combiner wars. At least according to my order history. So somewhere.

I don't have Sins of the Wreckers, Distant Stars or Revolution though. Well, I have Distant Stars from the humble bundle a while back, but I'd prefer to have it in trade form as well, but I can still go ahead and read it.

So all I need now are those books, and the Lost Light, Optimus Prime and Till All Are One volumes.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    I didn't even get to read till all are one yet. That kinda sucks. I guess the good news is it will come to a close as opposed to dangle forever. It's something I want to get around to since I want more combaticons.

Just finished reading volume 10 of More than Meets the Eye.

I can't not love this book!

James Roberts needs to be chained to a desk so he can keep writing Transformers stories forever.

And I know it's been said before, but FUCK GETAWAY!
    Leaving a group of mostly innocent comrades to die just kill Megatron. Fuck that guy.

Where was Thunderclash during this coup? I feel he should have tried to stop it. And if not, then fuck that guy too. Fuck all the crew who thought leaving Team Rodimus at the mercy of the DJD.

Although it did seem like Getaway may have only thought it was the galactic council, whom he struck a deal with.

The reveal of Dominus Ambus was pretty shocking. Guy can't catch a break. Earlier when Remind was having memories of the alternate universe, he got turned into a screen headed propaganda machine, and now in canon universe he's been turned into a feral animal.

Nautica continues to be great. It was surprising to see her take part in the final battle though, but I guess when push comes to shove..

Speaking of which, wow, Megatron. I can't believe this series made me genuinely like Megatron. His struggles with baser instincts ever since joining the crew have been a blast. Seeing him finally kick ass was awesome. I do wonder whether or not he'll change back. On one hand Ravage's dying words and pointing the the Decepticon symbol should have pushed him to revert, on the other hand, Terminus is a reminder of the person he once was. The person he really is.

Going to work my way through the other Transformers books now.

P2n5r3l.jpg

James Roberts needs to be chained to a desk so he can keep writing Transformers stories forever.

Leaving a group of mostly innocent comrades to die just kill Megatron. Fuck that guy.

Where was Thunderclash during this coup? I feel he should have tried to stop it. And if not, then fuck that guy too. Fuck all the crew who thought leaving Team Rodimus at the mercy of the DJD.

Although it did seem like Getaway may have only thought it was the galactic council, whom he struck a deal with.

The reveal of Dominus Ambus was pretty shocking. Guy can't catch a break. Earlier when Remind was having memories of the alternate universe, he got turned into a screen headed propaganda machine, and now in canon universe he's been turned into a feral animal.

Nautica continues to be great. It was surprising to see her take part in the final battle though, but I guess when push comes to shove..

Speaking of which, wow, Megatron. I can't believe this series made me genuinely like Megatron. His struggles with baser instincts ever since joining the crew have been a blast. Seeing him finally kick ass was awesome. I do wonder whether or not he'll change back. On one hand Ravage's dying words and pointing the the Decepticon symbol should have pushed him to revert, on the other hand, Terminus is a reminder of the person he once was. The person he really is.

I don't know if getaway was a misstep or not as I haven't read the follow-up stuff. The end of that book was where I stopped reading and have been waiting for trades
    Given getaway's history it is hard to believe he truly intended no collateral damage to the non Megatron stranded. Maybe he would've swung back to get them, maybe not. Maybe it was intended to make him not seen as monstrous but again he setup tailgate of all bots and offered him as a sacrificial lamb. If everyone else on board felt so strongly then he could've done something else one would think. Obviously it is to tell the specific story but if the goal is eliminating Megatron, and you are going to do it openly and brazenly there has to be a better way that condemning a bunch of other people to die alongside him.

Maybe if you assume it was all with 100% pure intent but I don't know if we are supposed to believe that.

As for ravage it can be interpreted that ravage DIDNT want him him to return to being a decepticon.

edited June 2017
    So did anybody else here finish up through #10 of Till All Are One?
    Man, that is one messed up series. I have to admit that I have not read much past the Dark Cybertron part so no idea how the Combaticons lost Swindle, but got the jist that old Starscream killed him for some reason. It did bug me how Starscream kept on blackmailing Windblade , but I get it since it is his "personality". Then the dead Titans really made things weird for me. Why did they suddenly show up? Who the heck are Vigilem and Liege Maximo? Am I supposed to know them or are these two new "baddies" that they made up for the TF universe? The one thing I did like is how Airachnid is some really twisted bot and explains why only Decepticons kept on showing up damaged or dead.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png

Getaway didn't know the DJD was involved, and I don't even think he knew that Overlord had been rescued by the Council either. The GC was just supposed to show up, arrest/kill Megatron and leave the rest of the Autobots alone.

Thunderclash helping him is a little weird, but remember the other half of the reason they dropped Rodimus' ass is because they felt he and his posse were a distraction in their quest. Getting justice against Megatron probably also weighed against his conscious.