As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Negative Ghost Ryder, the planet is full. Tag your Spoilers.

1939495969799»

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I gotta say, the Reegar still shreds. Range feels maybe a skoosh longer, damage is considerably less than a maxed out ME3 MP one, but even at level 1 I'm ripping stuff up. Ammunition is a significant problem here on Eos; I actually completely exhausted my ammo after just two small skirmishes. So make sure you have a backup weapon.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    So uh, what's the deal with radiation?
    Running around Eos after fixing things up, and there are things I'm supposed to scan. Except they're in level 3 radiation areas that fry me nearly instantly. I'm clearly missing something. Some sort of research upgrade, maybe?

• Options
    ...and I just found a +50% to spare ammo mod. It's all coming up Orca today!

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I gotta say, the Reegar still shreds. Range feels maybe a skoosh longer, damage is considerably less than a maxed out ME3 MP one, but even at level 1 I'm ripping stuff up. Ammunition is a significant problem here on Eos; I actually completely exhausted my ammo after just two small skirmishes. So make sure you have a backup weapon.

There are augmentations that turn them back into ME1-style weapons. And apparently, the weapons recharge even when you put them away, so if you have two recharge weapons, you can swap back and forth between them never reloading.

Actually, you'd think that on an intergalactic expedition on which resources would be tight, all your weapons would be of the pre-heat sink variety. (Especially since there'd probably be excess weapons of those models from before the transition....)

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Strikor wrote: »
    So uh, what's the deal with radiation?
    Running around Eos after fixing things up, and there are things I'm supposed to scan. Except they're in level 3 radiation areas that fry me nearly instantly. I'm clearly missing something. Some sort of research upgrade, maybe?

Think you are supposed to
    come back after progressing the story. Don't know how long it takes or when we trigger it but they say something about it taking time for the radiation level to go down.

Y'know... get out of the hinterlands. :P

danx on
  • Options
    I like that with the Reegar, I can charge a heavy, point my gun at its face and hold the trigger down, and it just melts.

So long as I'm shielded from other mooks shooting at me, it's all golden.

Actually, so far Vanguard is feeling a lot more like ME2 Vanguard, where I'm looking to jump around the edges of the battlefield before ducking back into cover, instead of ME3 Vanguard, which was God of the Battlefield.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Caved, bought it. Stupid. Oh well. Anyways, thoughts.

Animation quality varies scene to scene, characters are jerky and bit player NPCs look like their models were ported right from ME 1/2/3. More important characters appear to have newer, better quality models and textures. The 'old' models all look the same more or less, broad features with terrible facial hair / eyebrows. Hair remains a bit of a shitshow, with coarse textures in some places. Hair is hard, no doubt about it, but Bioware definitely isn't making strides here. Maybe they should play that last Tomb Raider a few times. Eyes often twitch and don't track the person they're talking to. Lots of NPCs emulate Ricky Bobby and don't know what to do with their hands. Often I see hands and poses misaligned with held weapons during cutscenes. Not so much looking for it, just seeing it so far. Animation mostly reminds me of marionettes, I think because I recently re-watched some parts of Team America. Some scenes definitely better than others.

Game runs well, so far as I can see on an older i2700/16gb/1070 GTX and on the worst fucking hard drive I own, whoops. Guess I can move that later - hopefully as easy as moving games in Steam and Uplay.

First krogan you meet - odd voice, female? Offputting. First Salarian isn't Mordin, best of luck to every Salarian in the game, I'd be surprised if any measure up. Liam seems bland, has best modelled hair in game so far. Cora bland as well, hair colour seems odd, at times appears to change colour. Neither of the party members so far display much personality. Characters speak oddly at times, stating things obvious to the player. Dad's seque about mom felt weird and awkward.

Camera is too close to the player character. At least there's an FOV slider that was far too low, and has been cranked up quite a bit.

The use of an AI is odd, given the first three games drilled into us that they're a shitshow.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I do not have many guns besides the starting stuff. I now have to decide what I want to craft. Also, I always worry about running out of mats in these games.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Finally switched off a pure combat build

Now I'm going for an explorer build. Shotgun and pistol, Annihilation field to prime everything near me, energy drain to chain combos from that, rounding it out with concussive shot specced to deal extra damage to armor.

I foresee difficulty in actually getting close enough to enemies sometimes, but if I get swarmed I should be nigh unkillable

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Man the writing and worldbuilding is a step down, but I am at least starting to grow Stockholm Syndrome-fond of Ryder.

• Options
    NastrondNastrond Registered User regular
    I'm into the second planet now... and honestly, I'm deeply disappointed with the combats. It seems like the vast majority of the fighting is just shooting random bugs or MMO style mob camps in the open world.

Nothing so far is feeling like the encounter designed corridor missions in ME2 and ME3 where fights flow into each other. I never feel like I get any sort of rhythm going.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Nastrond wrote: »
    I'm into the second planet now... and honestly, I'm deeply disappointed with the combats. It seems like the vast majority of the fighting is just shooting random bugs or MMO style mob camps in the open world.

Nothing so far is feeling like the encounter designed corridor missions in ME2 and ME3 where fights flow into each other. I never feel like I get any sort of rhythm going.

I don't remember encounters in any of the previous games flowing into each other. There were very definite start and end points to every encounter, where you'd have a room cleared and it was up to you how long you wanted to take downtime before you moved through the next door.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Haven't been on this thread much so sorry if this has been asked already but...
    I'm early on, still in the first system (Pytheas?) and all the non Eos planets have !'s over them. But when I go, there seems to be nothing. I tried scanning but good lord it's so slow (did they learn nothing from ME2?) and so far I've not picked up any sort of readings from any of them. Does the ! just basically mean I haven't been yet or do I just need to scan more? I may be missing something with scanning, but so far I've seen no indications from it that anything is nearby.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Just means you haven't been yet. If there's something there it'll tell you an anamoly's been detected as soon as you approach.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I like the intention behind the slow, sedate pace of planet travel and exploration, but I don't feel like its in the right game where the plot is supposed to have some sense of urgency about finding a new home before your people starve

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I like the intention behind the slow, sedate pace of planet travel and exploration, but I don't feel like its in the right game where the plot is supposed to have some sense of urgency about finding a new home before your people starve

I think that kind of supplies-related urgency is usually measured in months, not minutes or hours. Like, "find a new world or we'll all starve in a year's time" is pretty fucking urgent on that kind of scale, but it doesn't really affect what you do hour-by-hour. I'm fairly sure interstellar and interplanetary travel is meant to be pretty quick in Mass Effect, in real time.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Just means you haven't been yet. If there's something there it'll tell you an anamoly's been detected as soon as you approach.

Yep, @vamen it's impossible to miss when there's an anomaly, you'll know it when it happens, and if it doesn't happen then the planet has nothing.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ah ha, much appreciated, folks. That will certainly save me some time =).

vamen on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

While I love ME2 and ME3

thank god

I'm kinda over corridor encounters because they're incredibly boring once you realize that's all a game is going to offer.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The economy of the game systems seems flawed to me. Like, I send out a strike team comes back with a loot box or w/e. It has like 30 credits in it. That's like, one junk item I can find in the wild. It buys me 1/4th of a consumable. Similarly crafting (and getting the recipes themselves) seems to have pretty steep material requirements, and the first two ranks are essentially not worth using at all given how fast most players will likely hit level 10 when rank 3 unlocks. Maybe it'll get better toward the last half of the game, but right now it feels barely worth buying or researching much of anything.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Haven't been able to keep up with this thread but I finished the murder investigation side quest yesterday and need to vent. Whoever wrote that quest is a fucking idiot. The resolution had everyone acting like:
    attempted murder isn't a thing. So the resolution is to either let him go or exile him. But everyone acts like there's some kind of conflict because he only tried to commit murder.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Haven't been able to keep up with this thread but I finished the murder investigation side quest yesterday and need to vent. Whoever wrote that quest is a fucking idiot. The resolution had everyone acting like:
    attempted murder isn't a thing. So the resolution is to either let him go or exile him. But everyone acts like there's some kind of conflict because he only tried to commit murder.

I think the thing here is
    that the whole situation as a fucking mess - you hear from more than one side that the guy dying was possibly the only thing that ended up saving that whole crew. Additionally, there's only few people there, so do you really want to incarcerate someone so they can't contribute? Plus, it's about public opinion, just as much, as Justice. After a year of hell, people are worn out and trigger happy. In that situation, you don't want "The first murder" to be a big story, because it could raise already high tensions

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Outposts
    It's actually really cool how the NPCs walk around and that the landing pad of outposts constantly has shuttles landing and taking off. It creates a very convincing illusion of a living, breathing world that has stuff going on besides you.

If you actually sit and watch them for a few minutes, the illusion is shattered, because the NPCs walk in circles and the shuttles never actually open their doors or drop anything off, but as long as its just something you notice while on the way to other stuff, it's great.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

While I love ME2 and ME3

thank god

I'm kinda over corridor encounters because they're incredibly boring once you realize that's all a game is going to offer.

You know I kind of feel like there will be two minds when it comes to Mass Effect.

Folks who like the exploration heavy planet hopping and those who like the tighter corridor shooter-esque pacing.

Since the game has been both at different points.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Folks on PC:

Ware your video settings for Mass Effect? I'm getting some weird strobing / pixellation

Are you guys running vsync on or off, triple buffering, 32 or 64 bit framebuffer, etc

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I think the thing here is
    that the whole situation as a fucking mess - you hear from more than one side that the guy dying was possibly the only thing that ended up saving that whole crew. Additionally, there's only few people there, so do you really want to incarcerate someone so they can't contribute? Plus, it's about public opinion, just as much, as Justice. After a year of hell, people are worn out and trigger happy. In that situation, you don't want "The first murder" to be a big story, because it could raise already high tensions

I moved my reply to this over to the new thread.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    A page early, but since this'll be the first full day post-release in the ol' NA, I figured it's okay since it'll be easier to keep up with the shiny newness.

New thread link.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.