As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dress and Dragons, Or, Let's turn my Amazon suggestions into an MMO

MeldingMelding Registered User regular
Alright, so, After going on Amazon.ca to look at things, and seeing everything it thought i would want is either a dress, or a toy dragon I got to thinking.

A Fashion based multiplayer game where instead of levels you're rated purely on how fashionable you are.

Now, this seems like a simple idea and if you think I'm happy with that, you're clearly never been brain storming with me.

So of course fashion scores will degrade with: quality, damage, time, and season. So your two year old summer dress is going to be worthless in the next winter, get new clothing you scrub.

there is also a need for a renown or popularity score so that people who are Big Names can wear whatever and the more people mimicking them increases their power, and as such they all gain power, establishing fashion trends. So maybe that Five year old summer dress will be good this spring because XxXRihannaSepheroth42069xXx is wearing something like that.

Fighting class (wizard, fighter, etc) is mechanical only, everyone can wear anything. However race and sex does affect fashion. However, this would be the more malleable aspects of the game, cause maybe gnome fashion is leaking into human culture, and it turns out when given the option, everyone wants to wear high heels and open side dresses.

Basically the social aspect of this game has to be at the forefront of this entire dumb idea, because we're probably not going to talk a good combat system into existence, but we might be able to figure out a good social system.

I had more, but then the conversation at dinner became political and i had the scrub the last few hours from my brain.

Discuss.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Alright, so, After going on Amazon.ca to look at things, and seeing everything it thought i would want is either a dress, or a toy dragon I got to thinking.

A Fashion based multiplayer game where instead of levels you're rated purely on how fashionable you are.

Now, this seems like a simple idea and if you think I'm happy with that, you're clearly never been brain storming with me.

So of course fashion scores will degrade with: quality, damage, time, and season. So your two year old summer dress is going to be worthless in the next winter, get new clothing you scrub.

there is also a need for a renown or popularity score so that people who are Big Names can wear whatever and the more people mimicking them increases their power, and as such they all gain power, establishing fashion trends. So maybe that Five year old summer dress will be good this spring because XxXRihannaSepheroth42069xXx is wearing something like that.

Fighting class (wizard, fighter, etc) is mechanical only, everyone can wear anything. However race and sex does affect fashion. However, this would be the more malleable aspects of the game, cause maybe gnome fashion is leaking into human culture, and it turns out when given the option, everyone wants to wear high heels and open side dresses.

Basically the social aspect of this game has to be at the forefront of this entire dumb idea, because we're probably not going to talk a good combat system into existence, but we might be able to figure out a good social system.

I had more, but then the conversation at dinner became political and i had the scrub the last few hours from my brain.

Discuss.

Take the only part of Monster Hunter anyone really cares about. You gotta go out and kill stuff to do better fashions, meaning you gotta balance combat readiness with fashions and if you spend too much time out hunting for parts the stuff you make is gonna be dated because the fashion world has moved on.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I figure clothing would come from multiple avenues.

Stuff you make yourself, stuff you have made for you, and then mass produced clothing.

So yeah, going otu and killing monsters is important, it's how you get materials and renown.

Being the first person to beat Cragblor the Indomitable in the new Zachra line of cosmetics is what is going to make you a Name. And the fact you need the hide of an Ancient Hydra to make new boots is only going to make you look better. It's a win-win-win.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Having clothing constantly losing quality as the style ages makes it perfect for a F2P game with micro-transactions.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Having clothing constantly losing quality as the style ages makes it perfect for a F2P game with micro-transactions.

i figure once the groundwork is laid out most of the staff would be fashion designers and aritsts and there would just be a huge cash shop. of course we'd have to let the players get into it selling designs and patterns.

• Options
    it occurred to me while i was in the shower how dangerous it woudl be to have your main level be tied to the cash shop items. that is directly pay to win.

And a simple: Well, event he cash shop items are only SO good doesn't really help because you'd still have that stigma. So i'm thinking Fashion, renown, and like a clout stat have to work in tandem.

So maybe you're super well dressed, but no one knows who you are, and also no one cares what you have to say. maybe you're popular, but you're just popular for being the first to get onto what is about to be a big trend. With a high clout you can be the one setting the trends, but that is based on your renown, and people will only care if you're fashionable.

Also, form vs function must exist in some capacity. Clothing will have stats in addition to looks, that determines how good they are in the field, and ultimately what makes an excellent garment is how good it looks, and how functional it is. but also, doing a quest to fight an ice dragon in the summer will force you to make some important choices about how fashionable you can afford to be while facing down terrible blizzards and ice breath which your hot new look can't handle.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Would the enemies be equally stylish or would they be more daggy?

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Fame could be your popularity, purely based on how many people follow you. It can be compounded if the people who follow you are Famous themselves.
    Clout is the influence you wield in the fashion world, which you increase by acquiring Influence points. You can get Influence points by making someone copy your style or wear your clothes; you get a higher bonus if it's someone with a high Clout who does this. Clout degrades over time, and can be decreased by particularly disastrous events (a Raid wipeout where everyone is wearing your design, maybe?). You get bonus points for pioneering stuff.

Clothing material, categories, color and design could have a seasonal rating -- Fur gets a bonus if it's the Winter season, but gets negative points if it's Summer, etc. Vice versa for swimsuits.

Can't think of any incentive on why anyone would copy your style, though, which is basically the foundation of Fashion.

• Options
    Fame could be your popularity, purely based on how many people follow you. It can be compounded if the people who follow you are Famous themselves.
    Clout is the influence you wield in the fashion world, which you increase by acquiring Influence points. You can get Influence points by making someone copy your style or wear your clothes; you get a higher bonus if it's someone with a high Clout who does this. Clout degrades over time, and can be decreased by particularly disastrous events (a Raid wipeout where everyone is wearing your design, maybe?). You get bonus points for pioneering stuff.

Clothing material, categories, color and design could have a seasonal rating -- Fur gets a bonus if it's the Winter season, but gets negative points if it's Summer, etc. Vice versa for swimsuits.

Can't think of any incentive on why anyone would copy your style, though, which is basically the foundation of Fashion.

well, being trendy would have to be a thing. So if someone did something daring, it's going to be a news item based on their popularity, that is going to have mechanical bonuses. following that is going to get you fame as well, not as much but some. And then as the trend becomes more powerful both the trend starter and the trend followers will get more powerful.

also the enemies will be basic fantasy things, but the ones that wear clothing will probably be wearing old fashions.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Melding have you played The World Ends With You? Your ideas are definitely in a bigger scope but I feel they have a kinship with that game

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Melding have you played The World Ends With You? Your ideas are definitely in a bigger scope but I feel they have a kinship with that game

Far too few dragons tho

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Played? Boy let me tell you a thing or two about how i never even heard of it.

I think i heard bug boy say the name once, maybe.

What's it about? is it about wearing high heels to fight dragons?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    What's the address for amazon.ca?

• Options
    www.amazon.ca

amazon.com has a wildly different view of me.

Mostly "hey you like pokemon, that means you like children's toys."

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

sl0mZHr.png

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    reference secured

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

sl0mZHr.png

how do i google google?

• Options

Played? Boy let me tell you a thing or two about how i never even heard of it.

I think i heard bug boy say the name once, maybe.

What's it about? is it about wearing high heels to fight dragons?

It's a Japanese RPG that was basically invented to let people play dress up with Tetsuya Nomura fashion designs.
    Far too few dragons tho

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    In The World Ends With You, there's a bunch of different brand names for your clothes and every day the popularity of a particular brand determines how effectiveness gear of that brand is. So you can get a power boost by wearing the popular clothes but unpopular clothes will be weak. Same deal with the pins (attacks) you wear.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    So you're melding those two together to create a new thing?

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    facetious wrote: »
    So you're melding those two together to create a new thing?

yes I'm Melding.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    TWEWY is a jrpg on the Nintendo DS that has both mechanics and story beats that have to do with memes, fashion, art, and trend-setting in the Shibuya district in Tokyo. The scope of the game flies in a bunch of directions, so it's not necessarily treated as the most essential mechanic in the game, but the plot is all about it

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    How many points are we talkin' for a particularly expansive Bad Dragon collection? Do dragon dildos count as accessories?

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    How many points are we talkin' for a particularly expansive Bad Dragon collection? Do dragon dildos count as accessories?

please don't make my wholesome fashion fantasy game about sex.

• Options

I am appalled you would dismiss these avant-garde dressings as mere sex toys.

• Options
    listen, this is a 13+ game, wearing horse dildos is kind of out of the question.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Does fashion sense extend to the aesthetics of your weapons and shield? I'd go for bitchin' bell guards and pommels for my rapier and a nifty coat of arms on my kite shield.

• Options
    Does fashion sense extend to the aesthetics of your weapons and shield? I'd go for bitchin' bell guards and pommels for my rapier and a nifty coat of arms on my kite shield.

yeah, but kite shield and rapier? honey, no.

• Options
    Woah wait, not at the same time of course

• Options
    alright, good. I'm goad we didn't have to have this talk.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

The role-play server will.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

The role-play server will.

This is why you make a Goldshire and quarantine it.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Boss battle: Dragon who can't wear pants because of his tail, nor a shirt because of his wings. He is very upset about this!

Design a more appropriate outfit for him to wear.

broken image link
  • Options
    it happened again

sEo2Kpal.png

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have all those dragons
    I like the middle one the most though

• Options
    The first black dress seems to be the best pick for a caster, but the green dress may provide resistance bonuses if you're fighting the green dragon.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I see only one dragon in that image.

Waistbands and Wyverns dosn't have the same ring to it though.

• Options
    Waistcoats and Wyverns?

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    @Melding If the "Emperor's New Clothes" isn't the worst/best set in the game if you only put points in charisma then what are we even doing.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    "Wyverns & Wayfarers"

boom