As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    They fixed gearing for ops?!! http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9253564#edit9253564
    Hey folks,

If you haven’t read it yet, we recommend you head over to the “Tier 4 in Game Update 5.2” thread and learn about the new Tier of gear coming next Update. Along with the new Tier of gear, we are making quite a few changes to what gear drops in Operations. For endgame PvE players we know there is a desire to gear primarily through Operations.

The first change we are making is specific Unassembled Gear Pieces will now drop on each Operation boss in the game (except Golden Fury and Colossal Monolith). This means when you kill a boss in an Operation, you will know exactly what is going to drop and you can plan to run specific Operations if you are seeking a specific slot. Click the spoiler tag(s) at the bottom of the post for a full list of what drops where.

The second change is bosses will no longer have a random chance to drop Unassembled Gear Pieces. Each boss in an 8-player Operation will drop 1 piece and the last boss will drop 2; this number is doubled to 2 and 4 respectively in 16-player. Previously with Game Update 5.1, each boss except for the last boss only had a chance of dropping gear pieces.

The third change is with the introduction of a new Tier (Tier 4), we needed to ensure Operation players had a way to acquire this gear directly. This is especially true since Tier 4 will help substantially in being able to clear Veteran Mode Tyth along with future Gods from the Machine bosses, and all other Master Mode bosses. Here is a basic breakdown of where the gear will drop:

For existing Operations (Tier 1 will no longer drop in Operations)

Tier 2 Legendary Gear - Story Mode
    Tier 3 Legendary Gear – Veteran Mode
    Tier 4 Prototype and Artifact Gear – Master Mode (Non-final bosses)
    Tier 4 Legendary Gear – Master Mode (Final bosses)

For Gods from the Machine Operations:

Tier 3 – Story Mode
    Tier 4 – Veteran Mode

As you can see there a lot of changes with Operation gear drops in 5.2! Let us know your thoughts on these changes.

-eric

Below is a list of each Operation and what drops from each boss – note that this work is still in-progress and details may change before the release of Update 5.2:
    Eternity Vault

Annihilation Droid XRR-3 – Belt
    Gharj – Gloves
    Ancient Pylons – Earpiece
    Infernal Council – Boots
    Soa – Offhand

Karagga’s Palace

Bonethrasher - Bracers
    Jarg & Sorno - Boots
    Foreman Crusher - Earpiece
    G4-B3 Fabricator - Legs
    Karagga – Chest

Explosive Conflict

Zorn & Toth – Implant
    Firebrand & Stormcaller – Relic
    Colonel Vargath – Helm
    Warlord Kephess – Chest
    Implant in Master Mode

Terror From Beyond

Writhing Horror – Belt
    The Dread Guard – Relic
    Operator IX – Helm
    Kephess – Implant
    Terror From Beyond – Offhand
    Legs in Master Mode

Scum and Villainy

Dash’roode – Bracers
    TITAN 6 – Gloves
    Thrasher – Implant
    Operations Chief – Legs
    Olok the Shadow – Relic
    Cartel Warlords – Chest
    Dread Master Styrak – Mainhand
    Boots in Master Mode

The Dread Fortress

Nefra - Belt
    Draxus – Gloves
    Grob’thok – Earpiece
    Corruptor Zero - Legs
    Brontes - Offhand
    Gloves in Master Mode

The Dread Palace

Bestia – Bracer
    Tyrans – Boots
    Calphayrus – Helm
    Raptus – Relic
    Dread Council – Chest
    Earpiece in Master Mode

The Ravagers

Sparky - Belt
    Quartermaster Bulo – Boots
    Torque – Earpiece
    Master and Blaster – Legs
    Coratanni – Mainhand

Temple of Sacrifice

Malaphar – Bracers
    Sword Squadron – Gloves
    Underlurker – Helm
    Revanite Commanders – Implant
    Revan – Mainhand

Golden Fury and Colossal Monolith

Chance to drop any slot

The Gods from the Machine

Tyth - Relic

Here is a list of each gear slot and what bosses drop it:
    Ear

Ancient Pylons – Eternity Vault
    Foreman Crusher – Karagga’s Palace
    Dread Fortress – Grob’thok
    Torque – Ravagers

Implant

Zorn & Toth – Explosive Conflict
    Kephess – Terror From Beyond
    Thrasher – Scum and Villainy
    Revanite Commanders – Temple of Sacrifice

Bracers

Bonethrasher – Karagga’s Palace
    Dash’roode – Scum and Villainy
    Bestia – Dread Palace
    Malaphar – Temple of Sacrifice

Belt

Annihilation Droid – Eternity Vault
    Writhing Horror – Terror From Beyond
    Nefra – Dread Fortress
    Sparky – Ravagers

Relics

The Dread Guard – Terror From Beyond
    Firebrand & Stormcaller – Explosive Conflict
    Olok – Scum and Villainy
    Raptus – Dread Palace
    Tyth – The Gods from the Machine

Helm

Colonel Vorgath – Explosive Conflict
    Operator IX – Terror From Beyond
    Calphayus – Dread Palace
    Underlurker – Temple of Sacrifice

Chest

Karagga – Karagga’s Palace
    Kephess – Explosive Conflict
    Warlords – Scum and Villainy
    The Dread Council – Dread Palace

Gloves

Gharj – Eternity Vault
    TITAN 6 – Scum and Villainy
    Draxus – Dread Palace
    Sword Squadron – Temple of Sacrifice

Legs

Fabricator – Karagga’s Palace
    Operation Chief – Scum and Villainy
    Corruptor Zero – Dread Fortress
    Master & Blaster – Ravagers

Boots

Jarg & Sorno – Karagga’s Palace
    Infernal Council – Eternity Vault
    Tyrans – Dread Palace
    Bulo - Ravagers

Mainhand

Revan – Temple of Sacrifice
    Styrak – Scum and Villainy
    Coratanni – Ravagers

Offhand

Terror From Beyond – Terror From Beyond
    Brontes – Dread Fortress
    Soa – Eternity Vault

All tokens

Golden Fury and Colossal Monolith

The important takeaway here being that all bosses now drop a guaranteed slot piece, just like before. So you don't have to be futzing with GC grinding if you're doing ops. This is more like how I imagined they'd do it.

Orca on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Sheesh, they must have lost a lot of people based on how they're constantly messing with the gear thing.

Strikor wrote: »
    Sheesh, they must have lost a lot of people based on how they're constantly messing with the gear thing.

Well, you let your subscription lapse and haven't signed in since; the raid group broke apart and I haven't seen a bunch of them online, sooo...yeah, probably.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Well, you let your subscription lapse and haven't signed in since; the raid group broke apart and I haven't seen a bunch of them online, sooo...yeah, probably.

Emp left the group before that, though.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Yeah the group fell apart shortly before 5.0 due to never being able to get enough people. We'd spend an hour sitting around trying to find randoms.

Yeah the group fell apart shortly before 5.0 due to never being able to get enough people. We'd spend an hour sitting around trying to find randoms.

So you're saying it's my fault :(

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

So you're saying it's my fault :(

You were the chosen one!!1

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    hmmm I'm having a hell of a time finding good armor for my Togruta Sorcerer. There's some interesting stuff @ level 50 and the War Hero stuff. Any suggestions?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Good in what sense? And remember there are equipment breakpoints at 55, 56 and 66.

haha I just mean looks good. Plenty of stuffy robes but it's hard to find something to fit crazy.

You are, I trust, aware of TOR Fashion ?

Yep, been looking through it for couple days now :) Found the perfect top, the Sensuous Dress top, too bad it's 50 million on the gtn right now.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    After years of on and off playing, and a multitude of alts later, I finally finished a class quest line. So.... what expansions do I do, and in what order? I feel so lost.

There are some story line graphics to help. here's one I used, it's not the most up to date, but after Chapter 5, it's pretty straight forward. The advise I've heard is you only really need to go through the content once for each side.
    swtor_story_progression__planets_and_flashpoints_by_dreamingeisha-d6wwupy.jpg

• KamiKami Registered User regular
    So I'm coming back to this game for the first time in years (my mailbox said 750 days was my last mail received!), and that graph is suppperrrrr helpful

Also I made the newb mistake of not bringing along a companion during 4 or so missions and having a super difficult time. Needless to say I felt a bit silly!

I did have a question regarding subscribing and the free 60 (or was it 65) character and expansions: If I subscribe for the month, it'll unlock the content and expansions across the entire account, right? I'm preferred status now (as I subbed when the game originally launched), but I was just curious as to if I'll have the expansions unlocked for my current low-level characters as well as my new 60+ if my account goes from subscriber back to preferred after a month or two.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    You'll have all the story content, level cap etc unlocked permenantly, as well as keeping any sub-locked species etc that you've rolled your characters as. What you won't keep is the bigger credit cap, the ability to equip purple gear, being able to queue up multiple crafting projects and so on. Some of this stuff can be mitigated by cartel coin purchases, which you may be rolling in if you added an authenticator way back when.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    You'll have all the story content, level cap etc unlocked permenantly, as well as keeping any sub-locked species etc that you've rolled your characters as. What you won't keep is the bigger credit cap, the ability to equip purple gear, being able to queue up multiple crafting projects and so on. Some of this stuff can be mitigated by cartel coin purchases, which you may be rolling in if you added an authenticator way back when.

That's awesome news!

Sadly I'm not rolling in the cartel coins :( but if I'm playing the game enough to get multiple characters to near end-game stuff, I'll be putting money in the store for sure

Hell I can't remember how many expansion packs/bundles I've bought for LotRO and DDO over the past 5 years, and I never play those anymore :bigfrown:

So I went ahead and subbed for a month, and started with my Sith Sniper (as my primary is a level 25 light-side Jedi Knight), and I'm digging the expansion.

Also pretty happy that I've subbed and unlocked the expansion experiences for the account once it goes back to preferred status

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Between watching Star Wars Rebels lately, and feeling like I might want to give ME:A some more time before I pick it up, I went and re-downloaded this today for the first time in years. What's the current guild situation around here? Dunno how long I'll actually stay but it's nice to have folks to chat with.

Sparse at the moment. Lots of folks have left the game while the gearing sucks for raids. I'm still logging in on Covenant to acquire cartel gear, but I haven't had a good long play session in awhile.

If you're on Jedi Covenant and are playing on the Republic side, I'm in VODE AN which seems really active to me. Tons of people on each day. I'm sure I can invite you.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So I was going to come back and catch up on the story, I usually play tank, how do guardian and vanguard tanks compare now? I know there has been a ton of change since I last played.

Do you mean which one is better? You could take a look at this: https://torcommunity.com/guides/miscellaneous/class-rankings#tank-rankings

Though, if you are just playing the story, it won't matter as you'll level up so quickly nothing will be much of a challenge.

edited March 2017
    Well really I meant more what is the difference in playstyle. I will probably just go with trooper though. Am I missing much boosting up to 60 if I already did the story? I want to move servers but dont want to repeat the original planets.

Jealous Deva on
    You lose out on companion influence and titles. If neither of those matter to you, go for it.

Here's some comments on it. Sounds like Vanguard is a bit better only that they have increased range and mobility over a guardian.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/480t01/guardian_vs_vanguard_dps/

• WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Here's some comments on it. Sounds like Vanguard is a bit better only that they have increased range and mobility over a guardian.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/480t01/guardian_vs_vanguard_dps/

guardian has better defensive cooldowns, and I'd actually have to disagree with the mobility due to the fact you can use the new lunge/twirl attack to cover distance extremely quickly if your force leap is on cooldown. Then you also have guardian leap to get back to allies if you need to.

253J736.png
    Playing the Sith Inquistor story line makes me long for a Shadows of Mordor Sith game. Maybe your a Jedi trying to infiltrate the Sith structure or something. Just give me a nemesis system with the dark council and all their darths and apprentices.

edited March 2017
    You lose out on companion influence and titles. If neither of those matter to you, go for it.

Is the hutt cartel or shadow of revan stuff worth doing? I'm into the story of Fallen Empire a bit, so I get that
    Revan came back and ascended or whatever, the Emperor came back and ran off, and the Republic and Empire are loosely working together now.

And I seem to have 2 boosts somehow, so I will try both classes out and see what clicks.

Jealous Deva on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Is the hutt cartel or shadow of revan stuff worth doing? I'm into the story of Fallen Empire a bit, so I get that
    Revan came back and ascended or whatever, the Emperor came back and ran off, and the Republic and Empire are loosely working together now.

Hutt Cartel is probably nice to do once each side just to see the content, but its not vital at all. Shadow of Revan is basically the lead in to Fallen Empire and shows how things lead up to it. Its good content to play, so if you're interested in that I would play it. It also introduces some key players in Fallen Empire, such as Theron and Lana.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Hutt Cartel is probably nice to do once each side just to see the content, but its not vital at all. Shadow of Revan is basically the lead in to Fallen Empire and shows how things lead up to it. Its good content to play, so if you're interested in that I would play it. It also introduces some key players in Fallen Empire, such as Theron and Lana.

The other thing about Shadow of Revan content is that, on Rishi, each class gets a sort of denouement quest for their class story, and they're all at least pretty good, even for ones where the original class story might have been subpar.

Shadow of Revan - definitely worth doing (on each character, even).
    Ilum and Makeb (Hutt Cartel) - worth doing once.

Ziost is a short "epilogue" or further bridge between SoR and KotFE, skippable if you like, though it does get referred back to a few times. Do it once or watch it on youtube.

Interesting, I don't remember anything special when I did it with my Sith Warrior, but it was a while ago. Was it near the end of Rishi?

edited March 2017
    Yup. A little past halfway through Rishi, you get a holocall to do a sidequest unique to your class.

For the Warrior, it's
    being contacted by Darth Vowrawn and finding out that you're being spied on by the Emperor's Hand. You have to decide who you're going to trust/support.

Commander Zoom on
    Hmm, I really wish I could boost to 50 then. Oh well, I will probably play through shadows later. They make it sound really interesting in the FE story.

FE itself is pretty great so far. New characters are pretty good and there are enough callbacks to the original stories to be rewarding without being obnoxious. The only problem I have is that I am not too big of a fan of the "millions of buttons" school of MMORPG design. More and more it seems archaic compared to the trimmed down skillsets of legion or something like eso or gw2.

edited March 2017
    http://vulkk.com/2017/03/27/requirements-access-swtor-5-2-iokath-content/
    Bioware’s Eric Musco published, as promised, the first bit of information about the new update 0 the requirements for players to access the new Patch 5.2 Iokath Daily Area and its content.

There is only one requirement to be able to access the new story content in 5.2, the character must be level 70.
    You do not need to have an active subscription to play the story content, but in order to have a level 70 you must have subscribed since KOTET launched. Also, normal restrictions still apply, so you must be a subscriber to access the Gods from the Machine Operation.
    The character does not need to have completed KOTFE or KOTET to play the new story. However, it is highly recommended that you have. There will be spoilers to those storylines if you have not played them. Also, if you have not completed KOTFE and KOTET, default choices will be assumed in the new storyline which may not match your preference. Playing Iokath will not affect your KOTFE or KOTET gameplay in any way (such as advancing the story, etc).
    To launch the new storyline, head to your ship’s Mission terminal where you can accept the Mission “The Forgotten World.”

Orca on
    also, a note for anyone who may not be keeping up/logging in daily:
    The current week's event is Rakghouls on Tattooine. Just in case anyone else needed that one to complete the set, as I did.

Finished the Sorcerer story line. Not quite as bad as I thought it would be given what I was reading online. The worst part by far were the companions... Ashara didn't make any sense, even her conversations were talking about things I'd never said. It seemed like they gave her almost the exact same lines as LS Jessa for the Sith Warrior, but without it making any sense for the main character. Xalek had maybe 4 or 5 conversations and they were mostly pointless. Andronikus was ok, I'm just tired of Steve Blum by this point so I just sped through his stuff. Talos and Khem were great but they were it.

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Finished the Sorcerer story line. Not quite as bad as I thought it would be given what I was reading online. The worst part by far were the companions... Ashara didn't make any sense, even her conversations were talking about things I'd never said. It seemed like they gave her almost the exact same lines as LS Jessa for the Sith Warrior, but without it making any sense for the main character. Xalek had maybe 4 or 5 conversations and they were mostly pointless. Andronikus was ok, I'm just tired of Steve Blum by this point so I just sped through his stuff. Talos and Khem were great but they were it.

Xalek in and of himself is mostly pointless. You get him far too late in the storyline to matter.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Dang my sub recently expired and, man, do certain things about the f2p/preferred stuff suck. I understand and can deal with a bunch of the limitations.

However, the near constant notifications of and sound of the credit escrow warning/transfer is quite irritating. And then you need to pay cartel coins to access those credits they put in escrow.

I also have no idea how they define what an artifact is. From what I can tell it's anything purple and most blues as you level, and just about anything 60-65ish and above. Odd they do some but not all greens; I assume their definition of an artifact changed around the time of the latest xpac. It is nice they unlock artifacts you had in your inventory, personal storage, and buy back queue (but oddly not the shared storage).

Man, they really, really want you to sub or buy them coins.

Cobell on