As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: It's Gathering!

I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boomRegistered User regular
ShDsckr.png?1

liEt3nH.png

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    It is like tho, innit? Proper fucked-like.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    More or less my idea to make up for losing harnessed lightning in a dimir list is aether meltdown, I remember that seeing some play early in Kaladesh and considering it perfectly answers both heart and scrapheap scrounger it's worth trying

I'm also thinking of yoloing, grabbing corrupted grafstone, and then just trying to draw through my deck with reverse engineer and scour the lab (ideally with a baral or flipped homonculus in play)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    At modern night. Lost round 1 to Fairies. Was half-hoping to lose Round 2 so I could drop and go play more Hollow Knight, but took down "Little Kid" Abzan as my oppo called it.

So now I have to TRY Round 3.

Fairies was interesting. I need to look at that matchup more and figure out how to board.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I just did a wiki dive on what when down with Mirrodin.
    (last time I bought cards was Mirrodin)

Not sure I really like MTG lore. Seems very Diablo.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    i would say to look into more recent lore if you want to see what they're doing now, they're going for more of an 'avengers' thing

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Yeah the ends of mirrodin and even innistrad kinda ticked me off. I was wondering if we were going to get a set with the phyrexians squaring off with the eldrazi or bolas

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    At modern night. Lost round 1 to Fairies. Was half-hoping to lose Round 2 so I could drop and go play more Hollow Knight, but took down "Little Kid" Abzan as my oppo called it.

My fallen comrade! Although I call it by its true name, Liege Rhino.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Mark Rosewater's take on that hypothetical matchup is that it would end up with Phyrexian Eldrazi. I'm guessing they're not too interested in merging those two big bads. We've also had a lot of Eldrazi in recent sets and the player base is a bit fatigued of them.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the type of player who's interested in seeing phyrexians and eldrazi fight embodies the type of player who i think should have no control over set design or creative at all

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I agree, we just finished up a set with drazi and now we're off to visit Bolas again. So after amonkhet I'm guessing we see another new plane since we've already revisited Zendikar, Innistrad and Ravinca recently. What's the under/over on phyrexians popping up soon? Or how long until the Gatewatch put together a 5 color ManaMegazord to stomp Bolas?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I feel like that matchup would end up with Infected Eldrazi wiping out any intelligent Phyrexian life so the corruption would just become an Eldrazi Thing and nothing would be all that different. The fight could be interesting though.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I agree, we just finished up a set with drazi and now we're off to visit Bolas again. So after amonkhet I'm guessing we see another new plane since we've already revisited Zendikar, Innistrad and Ravinca recently. What's the under/over on phyrexians popping up soon? Or how long until the Gatewatch put together a 5 color ManaMegazord to stomp Bolas?

there are basically two contenders for what comes after amonkhet

the first is Atlazan, a plane that showed up in a product survey WotC sent out
    uD9R3fn.jpg

the second is conjecture based on ajani suggesting that they regroup on Dominaria, and the upcoming 25th anniversary (even though it wouldn't be this fall) - Return to Dominaria

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    the type of player who's interested in seeing phyrexians and eldrazi fight embodies the type of player who i think should have no control over set design or creative at all

yeah, the only eldrazi v phyrexia we'd see from you is elesh norn x emeria

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Panharmonicon is one of my favorite cards in my Jenara flicker deck right now. Mystic Snake countering a cascaded spell and the card with cascade is too funny.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    both the Phyrexians and the Eldrazi are the sort of "consume/convert you into a creepy corrupted version of yourself" variety of monsters, so mushing them together would be pretty boring. Just a bunch of spikes and tentacles spewing in all directions.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So, I posted this in H/A, but figured I'd ask/bump it here too. I'm looking for suggestions for magic card art that would make a cool art print for a soon to be doctor of family medicine. My first thoughts were surgical extraction and pestilence, as I used to love me MBC, but that might be a bit....dark

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/210520/magic-the-gathering-medical-artwork-suggestions/p1?new=1

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'd suggest swinging White-wise for healing and shit:

38.jpg6.jpg
    14.jpg12.jpg

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Liliana, Heretical Healer offers that MBC feel without being plague-y.
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=398441&type=card

Kithkin Healer offers a nice "family practice" vibe. Most MTG clerics are battle-oriented.
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=145986&type=card

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=20357&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=368957&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=26257&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=4566&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=14464&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=22954&type=card

• Options
    +1 for anything by Rebecca Guay.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I was reading an article on counterfeiting Magic cards.

I never realized the only honest and true way to really determine if a card is real is to tear it half.

That's pretty fucked up if it's not a fake.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I was reading an article on counterfeiting Magic cards.

I never realized the only honest and true way to really determine if a card is real is to tear it half.

That's pretty fucked up if it's not a fake.

AFAIK even that's not 100% reliable. All it requires is the scumbag printers getting their hands on the right paper stock.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Meh, circumventing the collectible part of magic never really bothered me. Like, if the guy across from me has 4 fake Tarmogoyfs or just dropped $350 on a set, what do I care. Especially because very rarely are people counter fitting cards that are in print, so it's not like WoTC is losing money on it.

I'd be fine with a rule where you can proxy any card over $50 or something like that. Protecting the value of $1500 modern decks, $3500 legacy decks and $20k vintage decks...honestly if you can afford to spend that kind of money, it losing some value isn't going to really hurt you.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I have absolutely no problem with people proxying in Commander or Cube, but tournament rules are pretty strict about it and I'm on board with that.

• Options
    Meh, circumventing the collectible part of magic never really bothered me. Like, if the guy across from me has 4 fake Tarmogoyfs or just dropped $350 on a set, what do I care. Especially because very rarely are people counter fitting cards that are in print, so it's not like WoTC is losing money on it.

I'd be fine with a rule where you can proxy any card over $50 or something like that. Protecting the value of $1500 modern decks, $3500 legacy decks and $20k vintage decks...honestly if you can afford to spend that kind of money, it losing some value isn't going to really hurt you.

Counterfeits hurt local game stores, which generally run on pretty thin margins and would be susceptible to changes in the secondary market. It's not all about wotc and SCG.

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to start working on becoming a judge. It looks like it could be a fun new way to enjoy the game. I printed out the rules to start studying.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Counterfeits hurt local game stores, which generally run on pretty thin margins and would be susceptible to changes in the secondary market. It's not all about wotc and SCG.

I dunno, I'm not really sympathetic to even little guys selling $30 legendary cardstock.
    Though, I disapprove of counterfits, as it continues that market.
    you really only need regular paper and sleeves, instead of some "pass as legit" counterfeit card.
    It's not like someone isn't going to play with you because you didn't spend enough.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options

I dunno, I'm not really sympathetic to even little guys selling $30 legendary cardstock.
    you really only need regular paper and sleeves, instead of some "pass as legit" counterfeit card.
    It's not like someone isn't going to play with you because you didn't spend enough.

Do you enjoy playing at FNM?

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dogbone33 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to start working on becoming a judge. It looks like it could be a fun new way to enjoy the game. I printed out the rules to start studying.

Don't study the Comprehensive Rules cover to cover if you want to learn to be a judge. It's a technical reference, not a "here's how to play by the rules", and will have a lot more stuff in it than we expect new judges to understand.

The best thing you can do with the Comprehensive Rules is learn how to support your answers about how game effects interact using specific CR citations; your ability to judge effectively is more about confident and quick discovery of the answer moreso than simply being able to get it right.

Try mysticaltutor.org as a starting point - it'll walk you through the technical stuff that you need to know and help you learn to view Magic with a judge's eye.

Good luck, and if you haven't yet, talk to your store's judge about your desire to become a judge and how you can help the shop!

Nullzone on
  • Options
    Is the judge IRC channel still a thing? You could also idle there and watch the questions they get, and the way in which they answer.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I think they've migrated to Discord, but yes - chat.magicjudges.org will get you there.

• Options
    Dogbone33Dogbone33 I bleed Red and Gold! State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Dogbone33 wrote: »

Don't study the Comprehensive Rules cover to cover if you want to learn to be a judge. It's a technical reference, not a "here's how to play by the rules", and will have a lot more stuff in it than we expect new judges to understand.

The best thing you can do with the Comprehensive Rules is learn how to support your answers about how game effects interact using specific CR citations; your ability to judge effectively is more about confident and quick discovery of the answer moreso than simply being able to get it right.

Try mysticaltutor.org as a starting point - it'll walk you through the technical stuff that you need to know and help you learn to view Magic with a judge's eye.

Good luck, and if you haven't yet, talk to your store's judge about your desire to become a judge and how you can help the shop!

Thanks! All I've downloaded right now are the judging at REL level and the tournament rules. I've spoken to my lgs judge about the process before and he knows me well so hopefully this should be an smooth process at least to level 0 if not level 1.

Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • Options

Do you enjoy playing at FNM?

Nah. But playing MTG isn't really dependent on that, or even playing Tournament Legal decks (or at least it isn't where I've lived)
    This depends on if there's a local playerbase or not I suppose.
    And the local store that runs FNM , has no financial reliance on the old card market. It's all new packs, Drafting events, and Tabletop/Miniatures.
    More to that point, it's an inventory problem. They have hundreds of boxes filled with random old cards, with $2 a box written in sharpie.

I fully support buying new packs and playing drafts. Support those artists that WOC employs.
    Am I going to begrudge the dude who printed off a random proxy deck of weird ancient 2000 era Goblins?
    Like Nah, I live for that shit. MTG is at it's best when it's weird and passionate and without the "old card" rarity cost burden.
    For me, the value of the cards is the value of the booster pack and nothing more. I'm not too sympathetic those pricing it any higher than that.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Everyone has a ton of bulk commons, it's a whole thing

does your lgs not sell singles...??

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Everyone has a ton of bulk commons, it's a whole thing

does your lgs not sell singles...??

I'm sure they do somewhere in there, and they have listings on ebay.
    MTG was a small component in a big shop

Edit, I guess looking back on these posts, they come across as a bit preachy/ranty.
    I can communicate friendlier/better. My apologies.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My girl has declared she only wishes to play mono black. Is there a semi-competitive mono black deck in standard right now? Preferably involving skeletons, and mostly kaladesh/aether revolt?

Madpoet on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    not even remotely and I'm not sure what might be the closest thing to be honest

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Madpoet wrote: »
    My girl has declared she only wishes to play mono black. Is there a semi-competitive mono black deck in standard right now? Preferably involving skeletons, and mostly kaladesh/aether revolt?

Not many skeletons in standard afaik. Monoblack vampires or monoblack zambies kinda exist, but are pretty bad even for jank decks. Monored vampires and black-red zambies are both way better than them, and they're nowhere near competitive.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    This is what I'm on now and this is what a decent vampires deck probably looks like but I'm not sure if those are really what she is looking for

and yeah, br zombies is playable but kind of a weird deck

7yh4xczljsym.png
This discussion has been closed.