As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I've never heard my H70 and it's been running since 2010/2011. That combined with my low temps and decent overclock leave me very inclined to go with another AIO solution when I build my next system (probably a H110? I'll figure it out when I start seriously looking at parts).

Fans are another matter though, I don't think the stock Corsair fans were bad and I think the newer coolers have better/quieter fans, but I've never actually run them in my system (I threw them in the computer I gave to my grandmother, and they don't seem noticeable when you use it so).

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind checking out one of those closed-loop water coolers at some point. How are they for noise? I had one years ago on an Alienware system, and it was largely pretty quiet. But every now and again I'd hear spurting sounds as it pushed water through its system. It was frequent enough to be annoying.

I can't hear the pump in my corsair one at all. Only part of it that makes noise is the fans, and even then only when it's running hard.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I was not impressed by the noise level of the fans that came stock on my Antec 920 AIO, so I've replaced them with some SP120 fans by Corsair. No pump noise though! Larger fans and larger surface area on the radiator means a lower noise level overall.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I can hear the pump in my AIO if I set it to run a high RPM. For most, the noise comes from the fans on the radiator.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yea, I can hear my pump from EKWB every couple of hours or so. There is one damn air bubble that I can't get rid of that will eventually cycle back through the pump and I will get air churning in water noise for a minute or two. Then it's dead quiet again.

I'm kinda intrigued by what EKWB will replace their Predator line with. It's a great system that is 'almost' custom (as it uses all the parts you would use in a custom build minus a big reservoir) in a 'AIO' that can be expanded.

That damn air bubble bothers the ever loving shit out of me though lol

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Should I be worried about the fact that my processor idles at around 35-40c? That seems a little high considering it's doing basically nothing.

35 C is average IIRC, idle temp is usually between 25-40C (depending on which chip and which generation)

45+ C with low/no load is when you start to worry

I think the i-series chips can hit 105 C before thermal shutdown, so just try to keep it below 80 C and you'll be good!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Good news: now have motherboard.

Bad news: just realized that it has an AM4 backplate, and my cooler has an AM3 bracket alone.

Good news: The motherboard supports AM3 brackets.

Bad news: Support != has included.

Solution - order AM3 backplate from Amazon and get it overnighted.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

Would fit into most budgets, Raspberry Pi competitor?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Dimension:9.5" X 4" X .75"

can't fit a 1080Ti, no good

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Dimension:9.5" X 4" X .75"

can't fit a 1080Ti, no good

No need. It already provides ultra hi-def graphics at infinite resolutions.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Yea, I can hear my pump from EKWB every couple of hours or so. There is one damn air bubble that I can't get rid of that will eventually cycle back through the pump and I will get air churning in water noise for a minute or two. Then it's dead quiet again.

I'm kinda intrigued by what EKWB will replace their Predator line with. It's a great system that is 'almost' custom (as it uses all the parts you would use in a custom build minus a big reservoir) in a 'AIO' that can be expanded.

That damn air bubble bothers the ever loving shit out of me though lol

Thats probably not good for the pump

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2017
    Budget: $800-$1000. I'd prefer closer to $800, but if we're talking serious gains for the money then I'm a bit more flexible. Like, I don't need a case with tricked out lighting.

Purpose: PC gaming. 1080p at decent settings. I don't need 60fps cranked to max.

Peripherals/Software: Periphals are fine, bringing over two monitors. I have a 1TB HDD for media, but at five years old I'll need something eventually. I also plan on using a smaller, 120 GB SSD for my OS and a beefier 500 GB for games. No idea if SSDs benefit from that kind of separation like HDDs can, so maybe one big SSD would be cheaper.

I have no intent on overclocking or utilizing SLI or whatever. I alredy got a preliminary shopping list on ze picker, but I imagine some of you are keeping up on modern parts better than I.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Budget: $800-$1000. I'd prefer closer to $800, but if we're talking serious gains for the money then I'm a bit more flexible. Like, I don't need a case with tricked out lighting.

Purpose: PC gaming. 1080p at decent settings. I don't need 60fps cranked to max.

Peripherals/Software: Periphals are fine, bringing over two monitors. I have a 1TB HDD for media, but at five years old I'll need something eventually. I also plan on using a smaller, 120 GB SSD for my OS and a beefier 500 GB for games. No idea if SSDs benefit from that kind of separation like HDDs can, so maybe one big SSD would be cheaper.

I have no intent on overclocking or utilizing SLI or whatever. I alredy got a preliminary shopping list on ze picker, but I imagine some of you are keeping up on modern parts better than I.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7WXTqk

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Does 100% CPU usage during a game at times mean the game is CPU bound? Been noticing Mass Effect Andromeda maxing out my stock i7 4770K, and I lost the silicon lottery hard on mine, so there's really no OC opportunity.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I agree with everything apart from the blindingly white case :p

That HDD could last for a while, or could be about to pop. Make sure to back up any important media elsewhere!

• Options
    Campy wrote: »

That HDD could last for a while, or could be about to pop. Make sure to back up any important media elsewhere!

White cases give you better temperatures in the summer and lower insurance premiums.

• Options

I dislike almost everything about you and what you stand for.

• Options
    Can't we all just get along?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

White cases give you better temperatures in the summer and lower insurance premiums.

Nono, those are the blue LEDs.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    White is the new black now that they figured out how to not make them turn liver-failure-yellow after 3 years

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

Nono, those are the blue LEDs.

I'm pretty sure blue LEDs will raise your insurance premiums, not lower them.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Does 100% CPU usage during a game at times mean the game is CPU bound? Been noticing Mass Effect Andromeda maxing out my stock i7 4770K, and I lost the silicon lottery hard on mine, so there's really no OC opportunity.

So, this is a quirk of Frostbite, because Frostbite is very poorly optimized. It always does this on my i5 4670K while it's loading for a few minutes, then it calms the fuck down and sits around 30-40% load while I actually play. Obviously my 770 would be the bottleneck for my system but I'm on Ultra textures with High/Med settings, I can't imagine a 4770K struggling to keep up even on fully maxed settings.

Yours should return to more normal levels after the game has sort of settled itself (can take 10 minutes if it's being really persnickety). If you have a second monitor you can pop something like CoreTemp on that'll let you monitor it in real time.

edit: Dishonored 2 had this as an intermittent bug as well, come to think of it. No other games in recent memory though, and I had this issue with DA:I sometimes. Frostbite just runs like shit.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    That's reassuring, thanks.

• Options
    Frostbite runs like shit? I haven't played Andromeda, but I never had any performance problems with DA:I, and the Battlefront/Battlefield games are heralded as running pretty fantastically for the visuals they deliver.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Frostbite is actually a pretty terrible engine, architecture wise. It can bring good visuals as noted but it's not well optimized. But it has a catchy name and EA uses it for everything.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Frostbite runs like shit? I haven't played Andromeda, but I never had any performance problems with DA:I, and the Battlefront/Battlefield games are heralded as running pretty fantastically for the visuals they deliver.

It's not well optimized at all (jacking CPU load to 100% during loading on multiple systems is proof of that), but few current gen engines are, and it has loads of performance bugs (e.g. I'm reasonably sure that CryEngine has better visuals and requires lower specs). Andromeda seems to be the worst of the Frostbite games so far, probably because of what is sounding like a rushed development cycle.

I had a lot of issues with DA:I and IIRC lots of other folks did too around release. It got ironed out over time.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Won't the BIOS on the board have to be flashed before it will support a Kaby Lake processor?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I hear that about pretty much every engine. Which one is the "least horrible"?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I hear that about pretty much every engine. Which one is the "least horrible"?

CryEngine looks great and runs well ("runs well" here meaning "on reasonable minimum specs," it has a fairly substantial floor for performance), but it's notoriously difficult to use.

GameBryo is reasonably well optimized, but tends to have buggy physics. And buggy script interactions. And buggy everything. A lot of that is because of how open it's left for mods, though.

PhyreEngine (Dark Souls) runs well and looks good, has a couple idiosyncrasies, isn't super widely used though.

UnrealEngine version whatever is usually pretty good once it's been out for awhile and a lot of devs have figured out the best practices for it.

The rest are pretty much all extremely poorly optimized.

edit: Oh yeah honorable mention for the Destiny engine which is apparently the most unbelievably bad game engine that's ever existed in the history of the universe, straight from the mouths for former devs and an old friend of mine who works for Havok.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The Fox engine for MGSV is supposedly very well optimized too. A couple of other games that are generally well regarded though I don't know what engine they use are Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max. Both games look and run great on the minimum specs and even below.

EDIT: a quick search says that SoM uses Monolith's proprietary engine Lithtech and Mad Max uses Monolith's proprietary engine

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Shadow of Mordor uses a modified version of the game engine they used for the FEAR games. It's been around for a really long time, but it's always ran well and been pretty impressive. I don't think it's used much outside of Monolith's own works though.

Phyre is pretty widely used, but primarily only with Sony platform targeted games. It does run on windows, but there's no officially supported port for Xbox (the engine is free to use and modify, and there's no restrictions keeping you from using it on xbox, but there's no official support from sony for obvious reasons).

There's also Unity, but this generation both Unity and UE4 have been pretty garbo IMO.

• Options
    Shadow of Mordor uses a modified version of the game engine they used for the FEAR games. It's been around for a really long time, but it's always ran well and been pretty impressive. I don't think it's used much outside of Monolith's own works though.

Phyre is pretty widely used, but primarily only with Sony platform targeted games. It does run on windows, but there's no officially supported port for Xbox (the engine is free to use and modify, and there's no restrictions keeping you from using it on xbox, but there's no official support from sony for obvious reasons).

There's also Unity, but this generation both Unity and UE4 have been pretty garbo IMO.

Ah, that's why Dark Souls is the only game I'm familiar with using it.

Unity is totally fit for purpose, it's just that people are asking it to do waaaaaay more than what it was designed for. Unity is for making basic games or little indies with decent or highly stylized graphics. People are trying to push it to make high polygon AAA titles (e.g. Hearthstone) and it's simply not meant for that. I personally don't count that as an inherent problem with the engine, the same way that a cordless drill being unable to bore a 4" hole into a boulder is not a problem with the cordless drill's design.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    It is interesting (and reassuring) to hear that it isn't just my processor (i5-3570k) having all 4 cores pegged at 100% when loading ME:A.

• Options
    Yeah it's just a weird code thing with Frostbite. VoidEngine also does it intermittently.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Neither Unity nor Unreal are "garbo", but to make them perform like a AAA game you need to understand them and have AAA programmers to make them sing. People think they can just take UE4 and make Gears of War out of the box and it doesn't work that way. AAA games using engines like Unity and Unreal end up using highly customized versions of the engine with highly customized shader code.

Game engines are a starting point, not a finish line. Great games that use those engines end up being highly customized beasts.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I haven't seen many performant Unreal or Unity games come out in the last 4 years or so though. Nothing like the kind of performance I came to expect out of UE3 (texture pop in aside).

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Gears 4 ran amazingly well and it's a UE4 game....from a professional team, with the time and budget to optimize for their specific use case. Comparing UE3 to UE4 is kind of a fools errand. UE3 was used only by professional teams that could afford the 250k base asking price. Anyone can go make a game with UE4, and most of those anyone's have no clue how to optimize a game engine to their needs. That clearly skews the results you see with Unity and UE4, because most of the games on those platforms are from small, indie, teams. Do you seriously believe those small teams would do any better with something like FrostBite or Phyre? I highly doubt it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.