As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I thought I copied it from the old OP but this is not a gun control thread. Will update OP now.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The unicorn has shipped. I have a tracking number and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JVNMmsN3Co

nibXTE7.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    apologies for the kerfuffle - thanks @amateurhour

(also fistbump for not liking ARs all that much)

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    apologies for the kerfuffle - thanks amateurhour

no worries. There used to be a second amendment and I think also a gun control thread somewhere but they haven't really been updated since like two years into Obama's last term.

Also yeah I don't hate them they just serve no real purpose in my life. A friend of mine has eight of them and I mean if he's got the cash more power to him but it's like "dude, if shit does hit the fan, you can carry a pistol, some ammo, and like one rifle. The rest of that shit is going to sit in a pile for someone else to take"

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

no worries. There used to be a second amendment and I think also a gun control thread somewhere but they haven't really been updated since like two years into Obama's last term.

Also yeah I don't hate them they just serve no real purpose in my life. A friend of mine has eight of them and I mean if he's got the cash more power to him but it's like "dude, if shit does hit the fan, you can carry a pistol, some ammo, and like one rifle. The rest of that shit is going to sit in a pile for someone else to take"

A great thing about AR-15s is that they're as customizable as a desktop PC. Lots of parts are available so you can tweak things to your liking, parts can be swapped around, parts can be used to create a specialized purpose rifle, and if you have enough extra parts you can often easily just build another rifle up.

This has the same downsides as PC building as you'll get the equivalent of the friend that has a gaming rig, a video editing system, a media center PC, a streaming rig, a webserver, and 3 partially built or deconstructed systems plus a case that they haven't figured out what to do with yet but had to jump on because of a good price.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

A great thing about AR-15s is that they're as customizable as a desktop PC. Lots of parts are available so you can tweak things to your liking, parts can be swapped around, parts can be used to create a specialized purpose rifle, and if you have enough extra parts you can often easily just build another rifle up.

This has the same downsides as PC building as you'll get the equivalent of the friend that has a gaming rig, a video editing system, a media center PC, a streaming rig, a webserver, and 3 partially built or deconstructed systems plus a case that they haven't figured out what to do with yet but had to jump on because of a good price.

My dad has both .223 and .308 part sets for his AR, and likes extolling the virtues of being able to swap when he wants to, but I've just never seen the benefit really. He's spent almost as much as buying two rifles, to have almost two rifles, that he can only use one of at any given time. I'd rather buy both the AR-10 and the AR-15 than a semi-complete gun erector set to build one or the other out of with parts left over.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png

My dad has both .223 and .308 uppers and barrels for his AR, and likes extolling the virtues of being able to swap when he wants to, but I've just never seen the benefit really. He's spent almost as much as buying two rifles, to have almost two rifles, that he can only use one of at any given time. I'd rather buy both the AR-10 and the AR-15 than a semi-complete gun erector set to build one or the other out of with parts left over.

Most people I've known will wind up with two rifles in that situation with the two uppers one lower phase being a transition before either having the funds to complete another lower and/or wanting to be sure they'll like the new upper before committing to the second rifle. Far less involved with selling an upper that doesn't meet expectations than a whole rifle and most are middle of middle to upper middle class in a pretty affluent state so finishing out an entire rifle over time wasn't an issue. But the money saved from buying a separate lower can be significant issue for some people.

Multiple calibers on the same lower is an odder case though. Since you have to get new magazines that aren't as common you lose out on some of the cost savings.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    edited March 2017
    Yeah my roommates both built their own ARs and the desktop PC comparison holds up. In the bad way. The "buggy drivers and ohgod I bent a CPU pin" way. Both projects ended up getting sold off as parts and then those same roommates just bought good prebuilt ARs.

This is part of why whenever I get my own rifle I'm keeping it simple, purposeful, and stupid. Bolt action, please. Consistent feeding, rock-solid consistency between shots, and no issues if I ever end up in a state with stricter laws? Sign me the fuck up for that plan

Mortal Sky on
    Yeah my roommates both built their own ARs and the desktop PC comparison holds up. In the bad way. The "buggy drivers and ohgod I bent a CPU pin" way. Both projects ended up getting sold off as parts and then those same roommates just bought good prebuilt ARs.

Thankfully I read up on the mistakes made by others and had a really good guide I could look at each step of the way for the lower. On top of that, I realized that doing any step involving springs could be done with the parts and my hands inside of a large, transparent plastic bag to contain errant springs would save me a lot of grief. The upper I bought preassembled because that takes specialized tools and a workspace I didn't have but I still put together the whole build for a lot cheaper than buying the thing whole given a few of the parts I sprung for and a custom engraved lower receiver. I bent one spring but only slightly and not enough to affect anything.

It's certainly not hard if you can build a PC in terms of fitting stuff together and getting it to stay in place but some people have an easier or harder time with that than others.

Steam Profile
    yeah and it's funny because both of them are pretty good at auto maintenance so you'd think building what is also basically a tiny weird combustion engine wouldn't be that hard

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    RE One Lower Multiple Uppers: There are some that share magazines like .223/5.56x45 and .300 BLK. Which makes sense for the reason .300 BLK was made (close engagement with suppressed carbines). You can also use 5.56 magazines for .50 Beowulf (allegedly designed for anti vehicle use at TCPs).

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Magpul is actually making .300blk mags now because the weight is different between 5.56 and .300 blackout, which wears the springs out faster

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    In support of AR15s, they are just plain fun to shoot.

There's hardly any kick, and the kick you do get is straight back into your shoulder, with close to zero barrel rise if you have a compensator. This is due to a combination of a relatively low energy (for a rifle) caliber, a straight action design, the gas operation, and a long buffer spring to lessen the sharpness of the recoil.

Plus the ammo is cheap and the rifle is easy to disassemble for cleaning, two crucial determinants for how often you shoot a particular gun.

iTNdmYl.png
  • jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    I fired an AR for the first time a few months ago, the recoil was much less than I expected and it was so much fun to shoot.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Now that I have a handgun a rifle is the next of the trinity (pistol, rifle, shotgun) I want to get. I'll probably start with one of the good value AR-15 I've been seeing good things about. Either the Springfield Saint or the S&W M&P Sport.

Now that I have a handgun a rifle is the next of the trinity (pistol, rifle, shotgun) I want to get. I'll probably start with one of the good value AR-15 I've been seeing good things about. Either the Springfield Saint or the S&W M&P Sport.

Comrade have you considered glorious Mosin Nagant!?

Is good rifle. Will protect you.

In other news today I found another 25 acp saturday night special at a pawn shop and they wanted $250 for it because it was one of the "spanish imports" and more reliable.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's on my list of guns to check out once I've got a regular job and can just have stuff like a normal person, as I hear they are both solid and cheap.

Honestly, watching both John Wick movies got me interested in the idea of 3 Gun and once I'm not bouncing around the country like a super ball I'd like to give it a try, hence the three guns I wanna own first.

It's on my list of guns to check out once I've got a regular job and can just have stuff like a normal person, as I hear they are both solid and cheap.

Honestly, watching both John Wick movies got me interested in the idea of 3 Gun and once I'm not bouncing around the country like a super ball I'd like to give it a try, hence the three guns I wanna own first.

I will say Nagants are no longer cheap. I mean compared to a modern rifle yes they're prolly a little less but a good matching numbers non rusted non cosmoline smeared nagant today is going to run you about $350, as where it used to cost $75.

Man they're nice though.

• musanmanmusanman Registered User regular

I will say Nagants are no longer cheap. I mean compared to a modern rifle yes they're prolly a little less but a good matching numbers non rusted non cosmoline smeared nagant today is going to run you about $350, as where it used to cost $75.

Man they're nice though.

Other things that are not cheap, and are in fact expensive: 3gun

sic2sig.jpg
    edited March 2017
    musanman wrote: »

Man they're nice though.

Other things that are not cheap, and are in fact expensive: 3gun

Unless you're getting a good historical piece they're not really worth it anymore unfortunately. I got mine back when they were still around $100 and milsurp 7.62x54R was cheap and available. The last few years with things heating up in the ME (even more than the status quo with the Arab Spring) and former Soviet satellites it's become more expensive (almost every faction in the ME and in Eastern Europe/Eurasia use weapons that eat through 7.62x54R like the PK machine gun series or the SVD and PSL rifles).

At one point 5.45x39 rifles were a cheap way to get good rifles and cheap ammo (I ended up getting a Tantal and an Arsenal, and ordering a few crates of ammo for really cheap). But with the 7n6 import ban they're about the same price as the cheaper end of .223/5.56 rifles and ammo.

NSDFRand on
    Don't get some shitty Russian mil-surp that the internet has fallen in love with even though you can no longer buy them for the cost of a 12 pack and a cheeseburger at a gun show.

The fact that you can get a S&W or a Ruger AR for less than $500 online and oftentimes with free shipping so you're left with paying a $15 transfer fee (local price for me, idk about you) is so incredible after the better part of a decade you couldn't find an AR for less than a thousand, or close to it.

Don't get some shitty Russian mil-surp that the internet has fallen in love with even though you can no longer buy them for the cost of a 12 pack and a cheeseburger at a gun show.

The fact that you can get a S&W or a Ruger AR for less than $500 online and oftentimes with free shipping so you're left with paying a $15 transfer fee (local price for me, idk about you) is so incredible after the better part of a decade you couldn't find an AR for less than a thousand, or close to it.

shitty russian mil-surp....?

d2j9zjhq1vj9.jpg

For real though yeah ARs have gotten ridiculous cheap. One with a free float barrel, dust cover and forward assist that used to run like $1500 can now be had for about $600, as where the $600 model used to just be a .223 hunting rifle with a body kit

Yeah, I just don't see the boner over them now. 12+ years ago? Yeah, sure. Cheap, loud, ugly, easily attained. Don't get me wrong, I've shot my friend's Mosin enough, but it's just taking up space in his safe at this point.

Now? Save money for something better. Maybe we can hope for Korean Garands in the future

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    For real though yeah ARs have gotten ridiculous cheap. One with a free float barrel, dust cover and forward assist that used to run like $1500 can now be had for about $600, as where the $600 model used to just be a .223 hunting rifle with a body kit

I was at a gun show a couple weeks ago and saw someone selling ARs for $500 cash. I was tempted but ended up passing. I am amazed at how much cheaper ARs are these days.

given the Heavy Metal category of 3 Gun (.308 or larger and iron sights for primary, 12 ga pump only for secondary, single-stack 1911 only for pistol) overlaps with my gun interests pretty closely, I think it'd be hilarious to run a semi-trolling 3 Gun build of shortish bolt-action rifle build, whatever shotgun is cheap and reliable, and a near bone-stock 1911

but then of those three guns I only really want the former

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    If you don't mind not being competitive it's fun to do something just for you in 3-gun.

edited March 2017
    So I guess I should ask, what's the process for buying a rifle online? The gun store/range that I go to when I'm home doesn't have much in the way of a rifle selection and I keep hearing about how there are pretty nice deals on a regular basis online. I know my local store charges a $15 fee for transfers, and they have a form you fill out after you've bought the gun. My understanding is I buy the gun from whatever place online, then give them my local stores info and give my local store their info, and then just wait?

Which brings me too another question, what are some good places to look for guns online? My only online shopping is done through Amazon and sadly they don't sell AR's. (If only...)

Snake Gandhi on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I guess I should ask, what's the process for buying a rifle online? The gun store/range that I go to when I'm home doesn't have much in the way of a rifle selection and I keep hearing about how the are pretty nice deals on a regular basis online. I know my local store charges a $15 fee for transfers, and the have a form you fill out after you've bought the gun. My understanding is I buy the gun from whatever place online, then give them my local stores info and give my local store their info, and then just wait?

Which brings me too another question, what are some good places to look for guns online? My only online shopping is done through Amazon and sadly they don't sell AR's. (If only...)

A source that gets brought up in this thread quite a bit (and, to be honest, I've only perused what's being sold as a kind of price-checking tool) is Gun Broker. It's basically eBay for guns.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    what's the process for buying a rifle online?

Find the gun you like that is in stock
    Talk to your local FFL before you have it shipped
    Buy the gun you like that is in stock
    They ship it to the FFL that you provide the information for
    Go to your local FFL and perform the NICS background check
    Pay transfer fee (can range between $15 and $100 depending on the FFL and their store policies)
    Take your new gun home

As far as deals, Buds Gun Shop, Atlantic Firearms, Palmetto State Armory, R Guns (sort of, they aren't quite down to $500 full rifles yet but they are still reasonable in price, I don't know about their quality as I've never owned an R Guns rifle). You can pretty much just Google "AR15 for sale" and get a list of retailers.

• [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I just don't see the boner over them now. 12+ years ago? Yeah, sure. Cheap, loud, ugly, easily attained. Don't get me wrong, I've shot my friend's Mosin enough, but it's just taking up space in his safe at this point.

Now? Save money for something better. Maybe we can hope for Korean Garands in the future

Yeah, I bought a Mosin a few years ago. It's an ugly 1942 made garbage rod. It was fun to shoot at first but has sat in my closet for ages now. I'm going to offload it and the 400ish or so rounds of ammo I have for it here in the near future. If I had got the m44 versus the full size one I think I would keep it because the fireball it makes is great for the lulz. At the price I paid for the ammo it's cheap to shoot, but beyond that I think I would rather have one of the swiss surplus rifles with the straight pull bolts.

Also make sure you ask any shop you buy from online or in person if they have cash discounts.

In store, if you use your card as debit or pay cash, and sending a certified money order/check online. Usually they'll knock off 10% so they don't have to pay CC fees.

[Paragon] wrote: »

Yeah, I bought a Mosin a few years ago. It's an ugly 1942 made garbage rod. It was fun to shoot at first but has sat in my closet for ages now. I'm going to offload it and the 400ish or so rounds of ammo I have for it here in the near future. If I had got the m44 versus the full size one I think I would keep it because the fireball it makes is great for the lulz. At the price I paid for the ammo it's cheap to shoot, but beyond that I think I would rather have one of the swiss surplus rifles with the straight pull bolts.

If I get rid of my mosin it'll be to either get an old AK or a swiss.

Also make sure you ask any shop you buy from online or in person if they have cash discounts.

In store, if you use your card as debit or pay cash, and sending a certified money order/check online. Usually they'll knock off 10% so they don't have to pay CC fees.

Most Gunbroker auctions state that the listed price is the cash price, and a CC purchase adds 3%.

nibXTE7.png
    r/gundeals is a great place to look on Reddit.

When I pieced my AR together it came from Texas AR, PSA, Brownell's and Primary Arms.

So what does everyone use for hearing and eye protection? Glasses seem like they're just up to personal preference for design and color, but everyone seems to have opinions on foam or rubber earplugs or full muffs.

nibXTE7.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So what does everyone use for hearing and eye protection? Glasses seem like they're just up to personal preference for design and color, but everyone seems to have opinions on foam or rubber earplugs or full muffs.

I use both foam plugs and full muffs. My hearings jacked up enough from years of working in helicopters combined with being a dumb teenager who thought he could "tough it out" when we had too many passengers and not enough headsets that I baby them earballs these days.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Double is best, if going single then you want foamies correctly inserted.

PwH4Ipj.jpg