As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    lex luthor faked his own death and came back as his alleged son, Lex Luthor Jr, who was a nice guy who definitely isn't evil, and seduced Supergirl, who is an alien who was saved by Supergirl, who wanted to continue her legacy, because she died in the Crisis of Infinite Earths

liEt3nH.png
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Luthor died from Kryptonite poisoning. That's a hairy nipple monster clone that he had his brain implanted into.

Supergirl is an alien named Matrix, and also a fever dream that John Byrne had. (or possibly a giant fuck you to DC since he was on his way out)

Bloodwynd likes Oreos and is afraid of fire.

The Newsboy Legion a Jack Kirby thing. They weren't all winners.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the newsboy legion rules

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Lex Luthor by that point had kryptonite poisoning from being all paranoid that Superman was gonna get him. He kept a chunk of kryptonite at his side at all times. His condition was fatal so he secretly got a younger clone body of himself and he passed himself off as Lex Luthor's long lost son or something. He got his company, no criminal record, AND a full set of rocking hair so he pretty much got away with everything because everyone believed the story.
    As for this Supergirl, she is actually a being called Matrix and she comes from a pocket dimension where this alternate Lex Luthor with a full set of rocking hair created her. I think they end up together because Supergirl is being duped by Lex because Lex Jr. looks like that alternate Lex who created her.
    Cool stuff.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i appreciate that because of selective detail omissions, the story gets more and more absurd each explanation

liEt3nH.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Comics, everybody~!

sig.gif
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Joe Manganiello whose previous attitude towards playing Deathstroke was basically I'M ALL IN, IM READING EVERYTHING AND TAKING SWORD LESSONS AW YES was asked about playing the role in a recent interview, after the news broke that the film was reportedly being entirely rewritten, and his reply was "Um...maybe. We'll see."

Manganiello as Deathstroke as the villain of a Batflick was one of the handful of genius decisions made by WB with their films so of course they would undo it

CYpGAPn.png
  • InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Bernie Wrightson, co-creator of Swamp Thing died today from brain cancer

g1BVZdf.jpg

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I hope Sejic's drawing hand holds up, and his comics sell.
    That dude seems like he aught to find more success than scraping by.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Series like Death Vigil, Switch and Ravine suffered from the distribution system in the current comic market (which is why he's doing them online first these days and then publish them as OGN). Sunstone seems to be doing very well in this way.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    ruWQEzO.jpg
    CBR.com wrote:
    Since the universe-altering “Flashpoint” in 2011, DC Comics has mostly stayed away from line-wide publishing events. That will change this summer, beginning with a freshly announced story titled “Dark Days” from some of the publisher’s highest-profile creators.

Writers and frequent collaborators Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV have joined forces with superstar artists Jim Lee, Andy Kubert and John Romita Jr. for two “Dark Days” one-shots: “Dark Days: The Forge,” scheduled for release on June 14, and “Dark Days: The Casting,” set for July 12. The stories are said to explore a mystery that “will reveal the dark underbelly of the DC Universe,” and lead to an as-yet unspecified DCU event.

“Art like this demands an epic story,” Snyder said in a statement. “‘Dark Days’ posits a mystery that traces all the way back to when I started on ‘Batman.’ I’ve hinted at them over the years with Easter eggs and clues. This is a mystery that literally begins at the dawn of man and spans generations of heroes and villains and ultimately leads to huge revelations about the past, present and future of the cosmology of DC. I couldn’t be more excited for ‘Dark Days.’ It’s the prelude to the event we’ve been developing for years.”

I am very excited for a big DC event.

See what happens when you don't do two or three every year, Marvel?

I would be a little worried about the DARK DAYS title implication if Snyder hadn't already come out and said the event itself would be super fun bombastic comic action.

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Just a buncha naked folks tied to evil Batman's legs up there.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I would be a little worried about the DARK DAYS title implication if Snyder hadn't already come out and said the event itself would be super fun bombastic comic action.

Plus, it's obviously just a play of "Dark Knight"

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    But the most important question is this:

Why is Batman wearing a backpack over his cape?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    But the most important question is this:

Why is Batman wearing a backpack over his cape?

As someone who has worn a backpack underneath a cape, trust me, there's no good solution there

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If the pack is under the cape, the cape would keep it dry.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Bryan Hitch's Justice League hasn't been bad, but every storyline is literally about the Earth getting destroyed

And then you have Steve Orlando writing a JLA story titled "THE MAN FROM MONSTER VALLEY".

Thank you, Steve Orlando

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Is Action Comics Rebirth worth following

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited March 2017
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Is Action Comics Rebirth worth following

Yes.

The Doomsday shit at the start went on for three or four issues too long, but I think everything since then has been solid. Jurgens is still a bit too 90's in his dialogue, but it's a minor complaint. The Luthor arc was really good, and the Cark Kent stuff was handled well.

I appreciate that they let the mystery go on for as long as they did. It was very old school Superman, where you'd have background plot threads that could go on for years, and I've missed that in this day and age.

Art has been really solid too. Kirkham and Segovia have very similar styles, so the constant switching due to twice monthly doesn't bother me as much as it does in some other Rebirth titles.

Maximum on
    Action has been solid Since Rebirth. The main Superman title has definitely been the "more important" one, but the Superman Reborn storyline was set up in Action

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Huh.

Superman spoilers
    Looks like they just did an in story recon where Nu52 and Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Louis merged, and then history was overwritten so they had always existed in that way in New 52.

Kyougu wrote: »
    Huh.

Superman spoilers
    Looks like they just did an in story recon where Nu52 and Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Louis merged, and then history was overwritten so they had always existed in that way in New 52.
    Specifically, as per Mr. Oz, they fixed what couldn't be fixed. And now they might have the attention of Doctor Manhattan

I'm loving this meta commentary on them fucking up with the New 52, and the slow build up to the Watchmen event with obvious (but not too obvious) references.
    They've been all handled well and fit in narratively

I know I say this a lot, but I'm still shocked at how much DC turned around with Rebirth, especially because there wasn't any change in management.

Huh.

Superman spoilers
    Was the red moon at the very end a reference to Dr. Manhattan or Watchmen?

I guess I need to read that again, if they're going to continue sprinkling easter eggs all over the place.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Yeah, I'm a bit surprised at how well DC is doing post Rebirth, especially since my faith in Geoff Johns going in was very low to nonexistent

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    lol @Maximum
    yeah that moon is Mars. And it is referencing Watchmen.

Man I'm amazed how much Mahnke has improved. I mean his Justice League art looks so different from his Final Crisis stuff to today's issue.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Maximum wrote: »
    Huh.

Superman spoilers

I guess I need to read that again, if they're going to continue sprinkling easter eggs all over the place.
    That was Mars, where Doctor Manhattan was in Watchmen

Keith wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Huh.

Superman spoilers

That was Mars, where Doctor Manhattan was in Watchmen
    Man, I thought he was on the Moon. Or maybe it was earlier in the book...

It's been like ten years. I really gotta read that again.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    @Maximum
    See DC Universe Rebirth's last few pages.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Re: Action/Superman.
    This 'resolution' actually makes me kinda sad, because I liked New52 Supes. His legacy and all his relationships are now retconned. :(

Plus, this really fucks with Lana. Is she even keeping her powers? What was the whole point of her grief if it's just getting retconned?

Not to mention New 52 Lois just straight getting killed off to be replaced by the other Lois to wrap this in a pretty bow.

And they're totally going to use this to throw away Lex Luthor trying to honor Superman's legacy, aren't they?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Wildstorm #2 (yes, I'm late. Also not a chance to read the latest Doom Patrol issue either):
    Familiar faces count: So we get Christine Trelane, Ivana, Cole, Bendix and Savant this issue (Anybody any idea if the woman with Ivana and Miles at I.O.? I don't think she was named and she wasn't immediately familiar). With Savant with the Halo I guess Zealot is a mole for Marlowe in Skywatch. With Christine there, I'm missing Jackson, but I guess he will appear soon enough.

Michael Cray seems to be getting the same story-arc as in the original Wildstorm universe.

So far really enjoying this maxi-series.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    so the black mirror has some, ahem, fucked up panels in it

getting close to the end now and I've really dug it (it has remained especially fitting for the batman noir inks-only treatment), but does anyone have recommendations for more good dick-batman?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

getting close to the end now and I've really dug it (it has remained especially fitting for the batman noir inks-only treatment), but does anyone have recommendations for more good dick-batman?

The other real good Dick-Bat that's fairly easy to acquire/read is Morrison's Batman and Robin

Anything else is kind of in bits and pieces all over the place, it's not really accessible if you weren't reading it at that time, at least last I checked

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Which shows about Chicago is Dick Bat producing now

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Which shows about Chicago is Dick Bat producing now

Chicago Circus
    Chicago Sanitarium
    Chicago Abandoned Toy Factory
    Chicago Suspiciously Profitable Italian Restaurant

Morrison's Batman and Robin is sadly the only other genuinely great DickBat run.

But Grayson/Nightwing are Very Very Good as I've incessantly told you

CYpGAPn.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    having Tom King and Tim Seeley on the same book was an embarassment of riches given how good they've both been separately

Fearghaill wrote: »
    having Tom King and Tim Seeley on the same book was an embarassment of riches given how good they've both been separately

I remember scoffing at the announcement of Grayson, making him a secret agent written by an ex-CIA

And now that ex-CIA is writing Batman/Elmer Fudd and I couldn't be more excited

This discussion has been closed.