As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Suggestion: Multiplayer RPGs for PS4 or 3DS

Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
Hey guys!

So my wife just came up to me and said she wanted to play a multi-player RPG. "Final Fantasy" style, she said.

I was taken aback by the super-specific request, so I come to you now for suggestions.

History: We played and loved the hell out of Diablo III, we used to play WoW together, but she does not want to return to the MMO well ("I don't want to deal with strangers").

On DS/3DS we played that one Dragon Warrior multiplayer game (forgot its name) as well as Final Fantasy Echoes of Time.

I have a PC as well, but, well, PC is not great for at home multi-player :surprised:

Turn-based is preferred, but open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Tales of (Insert Name Here) games typically have multiplayer battles. I think the latest one is Tales of Berseria.

Divinity: Original Sin has couch co-op, and it's turn-based.

Fat Princess Adventures is a very light Diablo-like. It's not awesome, but it was definitely built with co-op in mind.

Child of Light can be played 2 players, couch co-op style. It's a light RPG, action-time-battle (Final Fantasy style).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Divinity! Awesome suggestion! $59.99 on the online store though ouch. Let me see if I can find it for cheaper somewhere

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Divinity comes on sale fairly often on Steam. You might be able to set things up so Steam streams to your home TV with a bit of work.

The Tales series of games are pretty good for couch JRPG co-op. Tales of Berseria is one of the best. This one is pretty much John Wick, the JRPG. Other Tales games are more animeish, skip Tales of Zestiria. They are action combat style games though but have a range of difficulties.

Child of Light might be worth considering. Semi-turn based in the grandia style and there is something for both people to do. For experienced players hard is what I'd recommend. For beginners, go on easy.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Depending on your definition of RPG the Marvel ultimate Alliance games are now available on PS4, as are the Dead Island games. They are both more Diablo then JRPG though. Honestly turn based Multiplayer RPG is a pretty narrow niche so you may have to broaden your search a bit.

You can try searching http://www.co-optimus.com as well to see what pops up and what they recommend. Also D3 is getting seasons on consoles at the end of the month so that may be worth revisiting.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy Explorers was an ok Monster Hunter lite/RPG that might be ok for you two.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My wife and I ditto. Divinity Original Sin on PS4 was awesome; it's the only true RPG I know that you can play co-op. And I think it's the only turn-based couch co-op game we've found, period.

We've enjoyed a lot of ARPGs; easy to get those from co-optimus using the filters. I second the recommendation for Marvel Ultimate #1----it's basically an ARPG, but it's surprisingly good. Also, it goes on forever. But all ARPGs are basically the same, and Diablo 3 is king of them all. I think we played Dungeon Siege 3 but I can't remember a single fucking thing about it...

Left 4 Dead is great. I know, it's not turn based, it's not an RPG, but... I was really surprised at how well my wife's gotten with twitch games. Once we find something clever or whimsical, she gets into it enough to overcome any twitch deficit she may have as a result of not having played video games since the age of 12 on the NES. She's even almost matching my kill count in Enter the Gungeon!

Borderlands, again---not turn based, but it is basically an RPG, and it's cute. I don't know which Borderlands is best to start, though; we played the first one, which was awesome but unbalanced.

Castle Crashers, also good. Same caveats. Really just a beat 'em up, but super cute.

Justice on
  • Options
    I mean, we're definitely getting Divinity, but man, I am really surprised by the lack of options out there! Even on 3DS!

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hey guys!

So my wife just came up to me and said she wanted to play a multi-player RPG. "Final Fantasy" style, she said.

I was taken aback by the super-specific request, so I come to you now for suggestions.

History: We played and loved the hell out of Diablo III, we used to play WoW together, but she does not want to return to the MMO well ("I don't want to deal with strangers").

On DS/3DS we played that one Dragon Warrior multiplayer game (forgot its name) as well as Final Fantasy Echoes of Time.

I have a PC as well, but, well, PC is not great for at home multi-player :surprised:

Just fyi, the bolded is a lie

(ok, that may be an exaggeration)

While I don't have any specific FF style things in mind for this, my girlfriend and I play a ton of PC games together. Sometimes it's both on our laptops while my desktop runs a Starbound server (or Terraria or Risk of Rain or whatever), but a lot of times we play things like Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime where she plays on the keyboard and I attach an XBOX controller (Risk of Rain allows this, too). There are a pretty big number of games on Steam that have local co-op as a thing, if you have a controller. Don't shut yourself out of those!

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Just fyi, the bolded is a lie

(ok, that may be an exaggeration)

While I don't have any specific FF style things in mind for this, my girlfriend and I play a ton of PC games together. Sometimes it's both on our laptops while my desktop runs a Starbound server (or Terraria or Risk of Rain or whatever), but a lot of times we play things like Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime where she plays on the keyboard and I attach an XBOX controller (Risk of Rain allows this, too). There are a pretty big number of games on Steam that have local co-op as a thing, if you have a controller. Don't shut yourself out of those!

Well, allow me to be more specific. We only have the one desktop PC (no laptops) and I don't have a convenient way to TV out, so that limits my options. There's no way she's going to want to huddle around my desk with me.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I mean, we're definitely getting Divinity, but man, I am really surprised by the lack of options out there! Even on 3DS!
    I mean, I only listed off some of the good ones off the top of my head. It really depends on what you are looking for. For top-down action RPGs (like Diablo III) there are a few more options (the above mentioned Marvel Ultimate Alliance rereleases and How to Survive), but one of the best co-ops is in that style (top-down/isometric) is more action-y, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light/Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris. I think Sacred 3 saw a release on PS4, although I don't know if that was split-screen/same-screen co-op.

3DS had the Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes, which is an excellent co-op game. The Monster Hunter series is a great co-op, but it has a fairly high skill threshold that may be off-putting.

Turn-based RPGs generally are single-player experiences, so there won't be many multiplayer options for those.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    So we started on Divinity last night, but just wanted to report in to say that Mrs. Undead loves it! You can tell it's totally designed with two players in mind, and she actually appreciates the turn based aspect to combat.

@Hahnsoo1 concerning Monster Hunter. I'm a huge MH fan, in fact, I think you and I may have gone on a couple of hunts together! She's expressed mild interest in the past, but ultimately finds the small 3DS screen isn't conducive to that type of gameplay. I'm hoping for a Switch announcement soon! I'll be on board for that, and, seeing me play on the TV may entice her to join in, but that would require buying a separate Switch, which is a big ask. So we'll see!

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Romantic- I just learned this, so I want to share this knowledge with you, in case you didn't know.

Specifically on the PS4, if you buy digital versions of games, you only need one copy of them for both you and your wife to play, even if there isn't local multiplayer.

I mean, you have to have two consoles, but that's a different story....

Anyway, what you do is buy the digital game on one account, and then tie that account to a PS4 console by setting it as the "Primary PS4". Then, any PS4 ACCOUNT can play any games downloaded by the primary account holder, and even go online without having PS+ membership, assuming the primary account holder has PS+. The primary account can log into a separate PS4 console, and both players can load up multiplayer games that lack local co-op with only one account having the game and a PS+ subscription.

Its how my wife and I play Andromeda with only one game and PS+ purchase. It's a bit complicated to describe, but if you are playing with two consoles it will save you the purchase of two games and subscriptions for every co-op game.

I wish I had known about this last year, though....So much money....

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Romantic- I just learned this, so I want to share this knowledge with you, in case you didn't know.

Specifically on the PS4, if you buy digital versions of games, you only need one copy of them for both you and your wife to play, even if there isn't local multiplayer.

I mean, you have to have two consoles, but that's a different story....

Anyway, what you do is buy the digital game on one account, and then tie that account to a PS4 console by setting it as the "Primary PS4". Then, any PS4 ACCOUNT can play any games downloaded by the primary account holder, and even go online without having PS+ membership, assuming the primary account holder has PS+. The primary account can log into a separate PS4 console, and both players can load up multiplayer games that lack local co-op with only one account having the game and a PS+ subscription.

Its how my wife and I play Andromeda with only one game and PS+ purchase. It's a bit complicated to describe, but if you are playing with two consoles it will save you the purchase of two games and subscriptions for every co-op game.

I wish I had known about this last year, though....So much money....

Note that some companies disable this feature on their games. Namco Bandai is particularly bad with this.

• Options
    Wait, so, you guys are playing co-op on two TVs with two consoles? That never occurred to me to do.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    Wait, so, you guys are playing co-op on two TVs with two consoles? That never occurred to me to do.

That's what my wife and I have done for a while now, yeah.

• Options
    Arch wrote: »
    Justice wrote: »

That's what my wife and I have done for a while now, yeah.

Is there any way to keep it to the local network? Or does it all go through the internet and back to you? Or does it depend on whether the game uses P2P or a server--assuming any game truly uses P2P?

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    For the 3ds Fantasy Life is a fun game that can be played multiplayer.

• Options
    Does anyone care about updates about how the wife and I are doing in the game, or is that too chat-like?

Well, for those who care, I created a ranger/hydrosophist (for healing) and wife created a dual-wielding warrior.

We've already gotten into a couple of mini-arguments because Mrs. Undead likes to steal anything that isn't nailed down, affecting our reputation (and getting us killed by guards on a couple of occasions) and charge straight into battle, when a "pull enemy into us" strategy would be better.

Hopefully this couch co-op idea doesn't end up doing more harm to our marriage than good (I kid, of course :biggrin: )

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Does anyone care about updates about how the wife and I are doing in the game, or is that too chat-like?

Well, for those who care, I created a ranger/hydrosophist (for healing) and wife created a dual-wielding warrior.

We've already gotten into a couple of mini-arguments because Mrs. Undead likes to steal anything that isn't nailed down, affecting our reputation (and getting us killed by guards on a couple of occasions) and charge straight into battle, when a "pull enemy into us" strategy would be better.

Hopefully this couch co-op idea doesn't end up doing more harm to our marriage than good (I kid, of course :biggrin: )

Well if you want that then there's always Mario Party.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

You monster!

• Options
    SacriliciousSacrilicious Registered User regular
    Just finished Divinity, really awesome game. Any other suggestions for good coop multi, especially for DnD based games (PC)? One of my favorite games was Neverwinter Nights 1 for multiplayer, even though it was always a pretty small player base in spite of very fun. I might try to pick it up again - after a quick search, servers are still active. The point being it was kind of luck finding that niche community, wouldn't be surprised if other games fly under the radar.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

You monster!

He could have said New Super Mario Brothers. That game lasted about 20 minutes before we realized it was going to destroy our marriage. At least Mario Party is dumb and bonus stars make it all pointless in the end anyway. NSMB let's you bounce off your wife's head, dooming her so you can clear a hard jump. And then let's her pick you up and throw you down a pit. Over and over until you answer her when she says, "Yeah, is that fun? Are you having fun?"

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    For the 3ds Fantasy Life is a fun game that can be played multiplayer.

This was probably our favorite 3DS game to play together. My wife and I each put about 80 hours into it. We spent most of that time doing stuff in single-player like fishing or crafting. But we would play multi when exploring as combat classes. The biggest hassle for the multiplayer is that you can't switch classes.